HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[TOR/COL] Ryan O'Byrne for a 4th (2014)

Old
04-03-2013, 02:57 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
If COL is happy with the 4th round pick, fine. I literally couldn't care less about it. I'm not getting my hopes up, don't think he's better than Komisarek. But we will see. He can play with JML again.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Mat Fratthouse

vCash: 500
people also dont take into consideration that defence is truly a team reflection not just the back end. in terms of the trade yeah it seems lateral since we have Komi on the marlies. Did liles and O'byrne pair together in Col?

Mat Fratthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:58 PM
landesberg
p stastny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
So is the problem O'Byrne or is it the defensive depth/situation for the Avs? I won't argue that he isn't a good dman because I've watched 2 Avs games all season but would he be better with lower minutes?
Sacco puts him in situations where it's hard for him to succeed. He'll play well in TO given he gets ~14 mins a night, with maybe some PK time depending if he picks his physical game back up.

TO is getting a 5-6 guy right now that can be effective if he gains his confidence back, and starts throwing his body around. He's struggles with clearing the puck on the PK and is often out of position. He stands in front of the net but doesn't really engage anyone. He's easily one of the worst D on a really bad D corps in Colorado, it's between him or Zanon at this point. This year he can't skate, can't pass the puck, can't hit, can't play solid positional D and has next to no offensive skills.

Honestly I want him to succeed in TO cause he's a good person and I get tickets to Leafs games from time to time.

landesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:59 PM
TieClark

This is a great move for the leafs. Hes like a right handed mark Fraser to play with liles.

As for the "he's horrible now" talk... Nonsense. Beauchemin was not a great d who turned horrible and them great again. He looked bad on Toronto because toronto's coaching was atrocious. O'byrne will look much, much better on a much better defensive team.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
As a fan of both these teams, let me spell it out for you guys on the Leafs side clearly O'Byrne is not better than Kostka. I know people enjoy picking on Kostka but he makes nowhere near the amount of boneheaded moves O'Byrne does. Of course the difference will be less with Carlyle's system which is far better than whatever Sacco does but at least Kostka still has some mobility and passing ability. No system in the world is gonna give O'Byrne that. I'll just be happy if I don't have to see him for the Leafs in the playoffs.
I'm hoping he does ok in Carlyle's system, with a better D partner, and less minutes.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:01 PM
GenericFan2*

Remember when people laughed at Burkie for picking up Fraser? They said he was useless and would be a negative factor; oh the fans!

GenericFan2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Relaxedriley
Slightly Sober

vCash: 367
A bottom pairing D man for a 4th next year. Nothing to see here. O'Byrne has played terrible this year...he still hasn't been the Avs worst defensemen. Zannon has been the consensus worst. That being said, Avs won't miss him.

Hopefully he will do much better in Toronto where he will actually play a bottom pairing role.

Relaxedriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by landesberg View Post
Sacco puts him in situations where it's hard for him to succeed. He'll play well in TO given he gets ~14 mins a night, with maybe some PK time depending if he picks his physical game back up.

TO is getting a 5-6 guy right now that can be effective if he gains his confidence back, and starts throwing his body around. He's struggles with clearing the puck on the PK and is often out of position. He stands in front of the net but doesn't really engage anyone. He's easily one of the worst D on a really bad D corps in Colorado, it's between him or Zanon at this point.

Honestly I want him to succeed in TO cause he's a good person and I get tickets to Leafs games from time to time.
I don't mind that. We know we won't give him 19mins a night but bottom pairing minutes could make him useful. Avs were handcuffed with limited d-men and a coach whose system isn't working. Toronto doesn't have those problems so I'm cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:03 PM
AddMan3001
Don't poke the bear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
This is a great move for the leafs. Hes like a right handed mark Fraser to play with liles.

As for the "he's horrible now" talk... Nonsense. Beauchemin was not a great d who turned horrible and them great again. He looked bad on Toronto because toronto's coaching was atrocious. O'byrne will look much, much better on a much better defensive team.
Great point. Beauch was hated in T.O. under Wilson and I know many fans (including myself) had plenty laughs at Anaheim's expense last year after the trade. Now here we are and Beauch is playing fantastic hockey.

Here's hoping this is a similar case, obviously on a much smaller scale since we're talking about a 3rd pairing defender and a 4th round pick.

AddMan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
As a fan of both these teams, let me spell it out for you guys on the Leafs side clearly O'Byrne is not better than Kostka. I know people enjoy picking on Kostka but he makes nowhere near the amount of boneheaded moves O'Byrne does. Of course the difference will be less with Carlyle's system which is far better than whatever Sacco does but at least Kostka still has some mobility and passing ability. No system in the world is gonna give O'Byrne that. I'll just be happy if I don't have to see him for the Leafs in the playoffs.
One way or another, this thread will be bumped come playoff time, for better or for worse.

Worse case for Leaf's we lost a 4th rounder for a few minutes of RoB

Best case, RoB benefits from a new environment and new system and plays like he did two seasons ago in Colorado.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Could care less now that the hype has died down, get back to me if the 4th ever turns into a player of significance

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Pretty meh deal all around. 4th round pick may be high but still...its a 4th round pick for a depth defenseman.

I was really hoping for a legit top 4 right side guy, but this is fine. More excited to see what our guys can do this post season.

Hopefully Jake picks up his game and plays his way into a secure spot on the back end.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Would have been happy with a seventh. Slow, soft, and couldn't make a pass to save his life.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:16 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Yeah, where have I heard that before
Where have you heard that before haha?

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:22 PM
MajorMystery16

Lol O'Byrne is a fine pick-up. A depth defenseman who has potential to be decent. All the Colorado trolls seem to forget that their whole team has been having a hard time playing hockey in general.

MajorMystery16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Foppa

9 pages and counting on RYAN O'BYRNE for a mid round draft pick. Never thought I'd see the day.

Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:23 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMystery16 View Post
Lol O'Byrne is a fine pick-up. A depth defenseman who has potential to be decent. All the Colorado trolls seem to forget that their whole team has been having a hard time playing hockey in general.
How do leafs fans not remember O'byrne back in his habs days. He was brutal then. Brutal with the Avs. Will most likely be brutal with the Leafs.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa View Post
9 pages and counting on RYAN O'BYRNE for a mid round draft pick. Never thought I'd see the day.
Anything involving the Leafs will result in quite a few pages of discussion.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
After skimming through 2 pages of this thread, I'm assuming we didn't hit a home run with this trade.

6'5
230 lbs
28 years old
UFA
RH Vet d-man

How bad could this be?

Woll Smoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:28 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
How bad could this be?
Buckle in.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Dear leaf fans.

Remember playing keepaway as a kid?? You know, where a few guys had a ball and you had to keep it away from someone??

When you have the puck, imagine you are on the playground and ROB is the monkey in the middle. This is important, DO NOT pass him the puck, it does not end well.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
How do leafs fans not remember O'byrne back in his habs days. He was brutal then. Brutal with the Avs. Will most likely be brutal with the Leafs.
When he was a Hab, he was pimped as being an amazing top-4 d-man.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
You Like Boyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa View Post
Exactly. So much negativity over a minor deal. Unreal..

Colorado get a pick, Leafs get some depth. Nothing more, nothing less

You Like Boyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:30 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
When he was a Hab, he was pimped as being an amazing top-4 d-man.
Really? I recall him scoring in his own net, getting booed by the home fans, and being made a healthy scratch for 6 games before he was traded to Colorado. At what point did Habs fans try to pass him off as a top 4 defenseman?

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Seriously, are people debating over this??

We gave up a 4th, there is a 10% of chance that fourth round pick becomes an NHL player at some point in who knows how many years later, and that's a huge IF.

At worst this is a depth move for us, if O'Bryne plays decent enough for us, great. if not, not an end of the world.

This is a low-risk move at best.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote