HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The I'm Nervous Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Fanned On It

vCash: 500
The I'm Nervous Thread

With the Ryan Clowe move and the blockbuster (for CBJ that is) trade today, I have to say that I am nervous. I'm doubting NYR's management and the direction this team is taking. Surely we could've gotten a little bit of a better return for Gabby? When everyone first heard that Gabby was going to CBJ over on the Trade Board they were all thinking that bigger returns would be going the other way: some including our 1st we lost for Nash, some including one of Arty or Dubi...

Idk, I guess I just need to vent a little lol. I am scared for this team.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Zamboner
Your move, creep.

Pretty sure this is going to be a disaster. Hope I'm wrong.

Zamboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:06 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
The Rangers just got deeper and tougher to play against.

They also got younger.

Brassard has potential. He's a solid 2C/excellent 3C right now. He's skilled. The Rangers desperately needed another good center. Dorsett is a pesky gnat, Prust-like. I actually like Dorsett a bit more than Prust, he's nastier, has better hands. Prust is a better passer of the puck, though. Moore is a good puck moving D. Mobile. Has size. The Rangers needed a better transitional D, they got one.

We moved out: Gaborik. We added: Brassard, Clowe, Moore, and Dorsett. On the surface, I like it. It remains to be seen whether not not it works out, though.

04-03-2013, 04:06 PM
GAGLine

Gabby wasn't producing at all. Anything any of these players gives us is a bonus right now. Yeah, none of them have the potential to score 40 goals, or even 30, but Gabby wasn't going to do that for us this year. He wasn't going to suddenly turn it on and start scoring again. Not for this team. Not for this coach.

We signed a player as a free agent, got some good years out of him, and traded him for young assets. All things considered, that's a win.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:09 PM
dmjt4160

Gaboriks impact on games was very minimal when he wasn't scoring. Brassard, Dorsett, Moore can all have a nice impact for this team. Brassard is huge because our center depth was so poor. Scaling back Boyles role to a more appropriate level and having a guy like Brassard as your 3rd center is really solid.

I think with Richards starting to come on a bit and adding Zuccs the offense will be fine. This improves our depth, defense and makes us tougher to play against which is what won us a lot of games last year.

dmjt4160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

this team got a whole lot less skilled...and for a team struggling to score goals, thats not a good thing.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Parker

Optimistic view: Gaborik wasn't ever going to regain 40-goal form and didn't contribute much else when he wasn't scoring.

Rangers just brought in 3 players that made them younger, more balanced, and tougher to play against.

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out, that's for sure..

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:12 PM
NYRSchrute217

This could turn out great or terrible. Initially I don't like the deal.

Lose a 40 goal scorer and don't get back a pick. So now we don't pick in the first two rounds of the draft, with a team that may not make the playoffs. Could be a disaster.

NYRSchrute217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

now let's trade Nash for Gaborik, Dubi and Anisimov

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
I'm ok with this right now. We did a lot this deadline and a lot more than i was expecting. Our team has a different look now and I think that's a good thing considering our old team this year was horrendous at times. Now that we're tougher to play against and added much needed grit and depth to out lineup, we might be able to press forward and get a lot more accomplished than if we stood pat.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:21 PM
ecemleafs

technically dorsett and brassard have more points than gaborik this year. i think the scoring thing is a bit ridiculous. if gaborik was scoring he wouldnt have been traded.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:42 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Right now, this season, I don't mind it. Gabby was having an off year, we needed role player/spark plug types.

What makes me nervous is next year. Gabby has been, in 3.5 seasons, one of the better goal scores we've ever had - with his best season in his career (2 of his best 3 seasons were here). It's like management is betting he won't bounce back. Maybe they know something we don't, or see something we missed. Since its not a bad trade and very well could end up the right trade I have no other option but to trust the decision.

I was really not expecting to move Marian Gaborik for a 2nd/3rd line C, a Prust-type player, and a d pair prospect when we have a Brad Richards who is also having a down year that could have addressed our problems. (The return I'd expect to be less, but we'd be better off with Richards gone then Gaborik - or should I say, I'd rather gamble Gabby's bounce back as opposed to Richards's bounce back).

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:44 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
this team got a whole lot less skilled...and for a team struggling to score goals, thats not a good thing.
That "skill" wasn't putting pucks in the net, either.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:47 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
That "skill" wasn't putting pucks in the net, either.
and gabby being skilled is a bit of a stretch. he was an intelligent goal scorer that had a great shot. he was one of the worst stick handlers on the team though and his shot didnt look as good this year as it had in the past.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
I was really not expecting to move Marian Gaborik for a 2nd/3rd line C, a Prust-type player, and a d pair prospect when we have a Brad Richards who is also having a down year that could have addressed our problems. (The return I'd expect to be less, but we'd be better off with Richards gone then Gaborik - or should I say, I'd rather gamble Gabby's bounce back as opposed to Richards's bounce back).
Richards is basically unmovable in this kind of trade scenario; much easier to get rid of Gaborik who only has one more season left on his deal. And apparently Richards can be bought out after next season if he continues to be a shell of his former self.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Glennsoe
Horndog

Lot of fresh faces in blue..

I'll give them all a fair chance..

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Crease

It's obvious that Sather, Gorton, and Torts are trying to remodel the team so that it looks more like last year's version. I'm not as down as other people are.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

last year's version was balanced. It's balance they're looking for right now and despite the fact that they're tacting on pieces here and there to improve the bottom 6, this off season, there will be more remodeling toward a different end than simply rebuilding last year's team.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:57 PM
wr50l

I'm nervous with excitement, because we've moved on from being an 8 seed 1 and done at best. We have a fresh start, improved a few weak spots and have a chance (nothing guaranteed) to get on a run.

wr50l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

The direction is Torts's direction.

The team is clearly more suited for Torts's grind-and-cycle style. We'll continue to see that system employed by the team.

04-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Dangleberry

I don't see the big fuss actually. We are back to a team of grinding along the boards, focusing on D and blocking shots.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:59 PM
haveandare

Eh, I'm not particularly nervous. Something needed to give. This season has been some of the worst hockey I've ever watched. The Rangers sent Gabby off a year away from UFA during a worrisome performance of a season and filled 3 glaring needs in exchange - bottom 6 center who can score at least a little, bottom 6 winger who adds some balls and a defenseman who is an upgrade over the spare parts we have on the third pair now.

I didn't see Gabby's speed or shot really at all this season. It'd be one thing if he was still blowing by defenseman and getting breakaways or shooting lasers to the corners that were just not getting through, but that isn't what I've seen. I see a guy who is losing the elite aspects of his game and struggling to compensate for that loss. If that's the case, his value was only going to go down. Filling multiple needs in exchange for him a year before UFA isn't the worst idea. I was hoping for Burmistrov and a first but this deal isn't bad either.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Crease

Gunna have to replace the Gaborik Logo Snipe in my Rangers drinking game.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I hope you mean from this year... in years past he didn't really do that.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:03 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Every time a former CBJ player does something you drink

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote