HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[NYR/CBJ] Gaborik, Delisle, Parlett to Columbus for Brassard, Dorsett, J. Moore, 6th

Old
04-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Monument
Start The Shooting

vCash: 500
I think we can all agree on one thing... This thread should be called the "New Columbus Blue Rangers"

Monument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:17 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwaZ View Post
Who is going to score goals in NY now? Nash and then?
Callahan, Clowe, ... Long term Kreider, Miller, Fasth. This deal isn't just about this year.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Hunter Gathers
Electrified Angels

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
Not true, not anymore at least. He's played over 91% of the games the last 3 and a half years here in NY.

He is streaky though.
That's an understatement. Even during his 40g season he was very streaky

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:20 PM
nwaZ*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Callahan, Clowe, ... Long term Kreider, Miller, Fasth. This deal isn't just about this year.
I don't think it's honest to count in Clowe. Zero goals dawg.

nwaZ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Monument
Start The Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFiP View Post
Gaborik has been a non factor since he hurt his shoulder last year. I see this as a career-lingering injury.

Rangers won in a landslide.
See that's the one thing that worries me, that his shoulder is worse off than we know. It hasn't been talked about much this season, but it is a possibility. If that is the case, then this is just bad for the Rangers because of the fact that with another offseason to get better, he would have came back 13-14 in NY at 100% and it would have been something to watch.

However, with that being said, I've seen him take more hits this season than in the 3 previous seasons, so how bad could it possibly be?

Your last part couldn't be more wrong. This trade works out great for both teams.

Monument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:25 PM
GFiP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
See that's the one thing that worries me, that his shoulder is worse off than we know. It hasn't been talked about much this season, but it is a possibility. If that is the case, then this is just bad for the Rangers because of the fact that with another offseason to get better, he would have came back 13-14 in NY at 100% and it would have been something to watch.

However, with that being said, I've seen him take more hits this season than in the 3 previous seasons, so how bad could it possibly be?

Your last part couldn't be more wrong. This trade works out great for both teams.
That is contingent on gabby returning to form. We haven't seen any signs of that happening this year.

GFiP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Jacques Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgedias View Post
I don't want to get down on any team, especially the Rangers in this deal because honestly I think the Rangers really lost out on this deal. I do really feel sorry for their fans though. Maybe some of you think Gabrorik is done, but he is what 31? He is still in his prime, he scored 40 goal for the Rangers last year and is coming off injury. Is he playing up to potential, maybe not, but he scores 40 goals consistently and he more then likely will get back to that.

For the Ranger fan, I feel for them, because how much more do they have to go through. There is a good chance they may miss the playoffs this year. If this happens, they don't have their first round draft pick, so this draft that may be one of the best drafts in 10 years, the fans will miss out on the draft as well.

When it came to this trade, Marian Gaborik IS a 40 goal scorer. He isn't a second or third line winger, he is a top line winger, top 5 goal scorer in the league. That can't be denied or disputed, so if the Rangers as an organization is going to trade a player of his caliber, then they better be getting something back in return. And this is where I think the Rangers failed badly. Columbus has 3 first round draft picks for this upcoming draft. We all know how deep and franchise changing this draft will be. Getting one of those draft picks had to be part of the deal. Even if it was the LA 1st rounder, one of those draft picks had to come back to the Rangers. But they didn't get a first rounder back, they got brassard, a decent 2nd or 3rd line centerman, Dorsett who currently is injured and Moore a young blueliner and a 6th round pick. Are these 3 players going to solve the Rangers goal scoring problems, are they going to provide depth to the Ranger roster so they can push for the playoffs? I have a hard time believing this trade will do that.

I'm very surprised that the Rangers couldn't get a 1st round draft pick out of this, especially with Columbus already owning the Rangers first round pick, getting that first round draft pick for a player like Gaborik had to be part of the deal at the minimum.

Good work by the Columbus management, but if I was a fan of the Rangers, I would be disappointed by the return they got.

Edit. I should add that the Rangers also traded a 40 goal scorer to a team that will be in their division next year. Again questionable trade.

I agree 100% about the 1st round draft pick. The Rangers definitely should have gotten at least one of the three and if not, should have asked for better young players like Johansson or Murray. I guess Sather wanted more mature players who are ready to play today and help the Rangers get into the playoffs.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Holocene

This is good for Columbus since they'll be in the East and get to play Boston and NYI, teams that Gaborik always scores

Also, this makes it easier to resign our young guys that are actually part of the longterm plan.

Holocene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:31 PM
TheGooooch

Did not see this one coming

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:33 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
This is good for Columbus since they'll be in the East and get to play Boston and NYI, teams that Gaborik always scores
Don't forget, Gaborik had a career game against us. Don't be too surprised if he shreds us, again.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Synergy27

Even if you discount this season as an off-year for Gaborik and assume that he gets back to his 40G/70P level next year and beyond, I still do not believe that he is the TYPE of player that will translate those statistics into playoff success. His game is so disengaged, and that's by design and what allows him to sneak and dart around to open ice, but that simply doesn't work in the playoffs against good, tight, fight for every inch defense.

I like Gaborik a lot. I wanted him traded because I want to see the Rangers take the next step in the playoffs. I am a bit disappointed in the return they got from CBJ, but I do believe the Ranger team after today is better suited to playoff success than the one that entered this week - by a significant margin as well.

This trade reeks of the Mike Gartner trade in advance of the Rangers Cup run in '94.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:39 PM
flyin_finn
Fighter Jet Pilot

Blue Jackets got someone who should help with their scoring.

Rangers got depth on center where they were lacking, a fan favorite with Dorsett and defenseman with decent future potential. The 6th is also still there to balance out the books.

Despite Gaborik had two times 40+ goals in three seasons he is prone to injuries. Those are not going to decrease.

He has looked out place with Rangers this season and due the cap hit ($7.5M) his market value is not what it used to be.

I think the trade was good in current situation for both teams - and mostly it will benefit Gaborik.

flyin_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:39 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

I'm glad the Rangers fans are happy, because I am happy too.

The Jackets absolutely had to get a guy who could pot goals if they wanted to continue their run to the playoffs. We have plenty of guys on the team that can do what Brassard does, guys who could use expanded roles. We have plenty of guys on the team that can do what Dorse does, and do it much better. Moore is a loss, but in all reality, the Jackets were going to have to start thinning a little bit of depth from their defense. We are loaded back their with young talent.

The Rangers needed more depth and guys who would do more dirty work. It sounds like Gabby wasn't exactly lighting the net on fire, so perhaps this was the spark they need? Moore will fit in well with the team, Brassard...we'll see. I don't know, Brass could become a great center or he could continue his path towards mediocrity in the NHL. Dorse is okay and I'm sure the Rangers fans will love his passion, but outside of that, he's not much. Tough as nails, though.

Overall, both teams seem to have needed it, although speaking directly from a CBJ point of view, we desperately needed a pure goal scorer on this team. The team has plenty of grit and passion, but now with a little more skill, they could really take off.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:43 PM
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beichi10 View Post
Despite the lineup changing frequently, it could be something like this for the next games:

HagelinStepanNash
CloweRichardsCallahan
ZucarelloBrassardPyatt
DorsettBoyleAsham

Del ZottoGirardi
McDonaghStralman
HamrlikEminger

Injured:Sauer, Staal
Just as a reminder, Dorsett is currently injured and likely out for the remainder of the regular season.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:44 PM
tony d
Pug

I thought Gaborik might get traded but never thought he'd go to Columbus. If they can get a decent centre for him then they could be a team to watch for next season. The Rangers got a good return as well. Win win for both teams.

04-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1425
Congrats Blue Jackets fans. Gaborik can be an extremely explosive player when he's on his game. He's hasn't had a great season, but his first and third seasons with the Rangers were insane. Hopefully he can get back on his game this season for you guys. It will be cool to see CBJ in our division starting next year.

Glass from Girardi is practically a mathematical impossibility. I'm glad to have witnessed this great Rangers moment. -Bob Richards
I'd hate to know what the toilet facilities look like after a game with the way this team aims... -Megustaelhockey
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:45 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Noooooooooo!

The Rags are my go-to team online in NHL13, primarily because Gaborik can just skate circles around people in it.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:45 PM
LSnow

Ahahaha..

Team that is last place in scoring trade a 40 goal scorer, when last year they were 11th in scoring and difference between them and second lowest scoring team was 40 goals.

Nice

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:46 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Columbus is looking like last years LA Kings, not the Rangers.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:46 PM
CaptainCally

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
And Clowe adds to that kind of play. I know Clowe's stats are down this year, but anyone who likes Dubinsky or Callahan's game will love Clowe. The guy is an all out BEAST! Pound you to the boards, score a goal, and if you don't like it, beat the snot outta you! Very tough to play against a team of guys like that. They just wear you down.
Exactly! I've always liked Clowe. However it sucks that we don't have a 1st or a 2nd in such a deep draft.

CaptainCally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Columbus also gets Delisle and Parlett back with Gaborik. Steven Delisle was originally sent to Rangers in the Nash trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
They do have a centre for him, Prospal. Gab has some of his best years with Vinny, they have proven chemistry.
Prospal isn't a center, or hasn't been at all in Columbus.

Projected lines right now:
Umberger - Johansen - Gaborik
Calvert - Anisimov - Atkinson
Prospal - Letestu - Comeau
Gillies - Mackenzie - Boll

Scratched - Drazenovich, Collins.

Injured - Foligno, Dubinsky.

Despite being one of the team leaders in points, Letestu settles for a contract of $1.25 million per year AND lets newly acquired Gaborik have his number (#10), opting to switch to #55. What a swell guy.

Last edited by Crede777: 04-03-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:57 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Based

looks like a good deal for both teams here

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Vitto79

I live 4 hrs from CLB, needless to say Im going to the games next yr , Rangers, Jackets.......its going to epic with Nash returning and Gaborik vs NY

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfMiceAndKadri View Post
Good trade for both sides.

Wow, Columbus is really going to shape up man, 3 firsts + Gaborik?

Wow.

Gaborik has one year left on his contract. He'll be long gone before those 3 firsts get to the NHL.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Gaborik has one year left on his contract. He'll be long gone before those 3 firsts get to the NHL.
Davidson made it clear he was adding Gaborik for the longterm. I think barring catastrophe Gaborik will stay.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote