HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYR/CBJ] Gaborik, Delisle, Parlett to Columbus for Brassard, Dorsett, J. Moore, 6th

Old
04-03-2013, 03:57 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

vCash: 500
looks like a good deal for both teams here

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Vitto79

I live 4 hrs from CLB, needless to say Im going to the games next yr , Rangers, Jackets.......its going to epic with Nash returning and Gaborik vs NY

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfMiceAndKadri View Post
Good trade for both sides.

Wow, Columbus is really going to shape up man, 3 firsts + Gaborik?

Wow.

Gaborik has one year left on his contract. He'll be long gone before those 3 firsts get to the NHL.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Gaborik has one year left on his contract. He'll be long gone before those 3 firsts get to the NHL.
Davidson made it clear he was adding Gaborik for the longterm. I think barring catastrophe Gaborik will stay.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:04 PM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Ahahaha..

Team that is last place in scoring trade a 40 goal scorer, when last year they were 11th in scoring and difference between them and second lowest scoring team was 40 goals.

Nice
Rangers needed to shed salary, Gaborik is 31 years old and signed for another season, he would've been traded at the draft the latest. Gaborik was pushed to the LW (where he's awful at) due to Nash and Callahan so he wasn't as important. He's having an off year and the Rangers adressed some huge needs. Scoring depth, they got that. And they're now a more physical team. And they finally got a top 4 right handed D, which has been needed for years.

Rangers are much more well balanced.

This is a win-win deal for both teams. Nash has been so much better, he's also younger and signed for a longer term. So... I wouldn't laugh too much if I was you.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:05 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Columbus also gets Delisle and Parlett back with Gaborik. Steven Delisle was originally sent to Rangers in the Nash trade.

Prospal isn't a center, or hasn't been at all in Columbus.

Projected lines right now:
Umberger - Johansen - Gaborik
Calvert - Anisimov - Atkinson
Prospal - Letestu - Comeau
Gillies - Mackenzie - Boll

Scratched - Drazenovich, Collins.

Injured - Foligno, Dubinsky.

Despite being one of the team leaders in points, Letestu settles for a contract of $1.25 million per year AND lets newly acquired Gaborik have his number (#10), opting to switch to #55. What a swell guy.
We need Dubi back sooo bad. And make some moves at the draft for depth.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:07 PM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Davidson made it clear he was adding Gaborik for the longterm. I think barring catastrophe Gaborik will stay.
He should stay if he's smart. He loves being the #1 guy, he thrives when he's relied upon. He's gonna light it up over there for Columbus. And they're doing real good this season. Just looking at your prospects and young players and adding the fact that you got 3 1st rounders in this crazy deep draft makes your future so much brighter.

I really like your team. It's gonna be weird playing against you starting the next season. As you know you're gonna be in the Atlantic Div so we'll see each other a lot. If all your prospects pans out that division is gonna be crazy strong.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:09 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I get the feeling that a lot of people saying this is lopsided are picturing Gaborik from last year. He hasn't been the same player at all this season. It's not just a lack of scoring. He's slower. His shot is weaker. Those were his most dangerous assets.

He was a great, great player for NYR and I'll miss seeing the way he played in previous years, but frankly, I'm not sure any team will see that from him again.

Wish NYR got a 1st. I was hoping for Burmistrov and a 1st, but this return does fill some serious needs.

Best of luck to Gabby. He was a hell of a Ranger.
Best sums my view so far.
Approaching the deal long term with an open mind.
The return could be disappointing or more than adequate to even surprising. We won't know immediately, esp, w/one guy not coming back til late -- if we are in the playoffs late -- due to broken bone issue.

My only ? is, was this the best deal they could have gotten for Gabby?
Surprised others contending didn't offer more, and I think some variations of a proposals here on the Red Wings possible return seemed higher.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:11 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
Hahaha wow... why didn't CBJ just trade for Gaborik before and get Nash and Gaborik playing together in Columbus?

And maybe they're trying to bring all of Nash's old teammates over to NYR haha.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:16 PM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
Hahaha wow... why didn't CBJ just trade for Gaborik before and get Nash and Gaborik playing together in Columbus?

And maybe they're trying to bring all of Nash's old teammates over to NYR haha.
I figure that you're joking around. But Gabby had a great year, no way Rangers was going to trade him then. Nash made him expendable, so that'd never happen.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I thought Gaborik might get traded but never thought he'd go to Columbus. If they can get a decent centre for him then they could be a team to watch for next season. The Rangers got a good return as well. Win win for both teams.
The good thing about Gabby is that he doesn't need an elite center to help him score. He put up 40g playing with Erik Christensen lol. It definitely helps but it's not necessary!

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:18 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Man Columbus still has 3 1sts in this draft and a pretty good young team they are going to be good for a while, this move makes them competitive now and they can continue to bring in young talent.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:21 PM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Man Columbus still has 3 1sts in this draft and a pretty good young team they are going to be good for a while, this move makes them competitive now and they can continue to bring in young talent.
Which sucks for us seeing how they're gonna be in our division where we already got Pens, Flyers and Devils (and so on). Isles have good youth too, but they're far away IMO. Carolina are a few good D's away but still solid. So I do not like the new atlantic divison starting next season.

Dunno if I should stop rooting for CBJ and start seeing them as a future rival. Same div and they got a lot of our former players . Weird situation.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Gaborik sounds crushed in TSN phone interview.
Then why did he waive his NTC? He didn't have to go if he didn't want to.

To me, this trade says a lot about the player. CBJ may be close to a playoff spot, but let's be real. They are rebuilding and would be thrilled just to get in. It will take some time for them to be real contenders. Rangers, on the other hand, are legit contenders if they play to their abilities (which has not happened--and likely won't IMO). Anyway, for a player to waive his NTC to leave a team with all the pieces to win, in the biggest city in the world, with a huge and passionate fan base, to go to a rebuilding team in a small market with no history, tells me this player is not a winner. He doesn't want the spotlight. He is not deserving of the star label. This is not some free agent joining a rebuilding team to enjoy the ride up. This is a guy with one year left on his contract, who will be gone by the time CBJ is really good. I'm not surprised the Rangers wanted to rid themselves of such a player.

This should work out as a good trade for both teams. Rangers are ridding themselves of loser (maybe that's too harsh) and shedding precious cap space, and adding some depth and grit they feel is needed. CBJ is getting what they hope will be a scoring threat for their playoff push, and more likely a nice piece of trade bait for next year. What they gave up will not affect their rebuild. Those players were largely expendable and will be replaced by kids with more upside.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Anyway, for a player to waive his NTC to leave a team with all the pieces to win, in the biggest city in the world, with a huge and passionate fan base, to go to a rebuilding team in a small market with no history, tells me this player is not a winner. He doesn't want the spotlight. He is not deserving of the star label. This is not some free agent joining a rebuilding team to enjoy the ride up. This is a guy with one year left on his contract, who will be gone by the time CBJ is really good. I'm not surprised the Rangers wanted to rid themselves of such a player.
There are many more factors in play than simply not wanting to be under the spotlight.

What if Sather straight up told Gaborik that he wasn't wanted in New York anymore or Gaborik had a major problem with Torts? I would accept a trade in that situation and it has nothing to do with my compete level.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:29 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
Do the people who are saying CBJ won't make the playoffs and that NYR are playoff contenders realize that New York is a WHOPPING 0 points ahead of CBJ? One game in hand but still...
Er, I've read the whole thread up to this post and haven't seen one person say this....

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Blueshirts, blue jackets....same thing. One just has thicker skin and sometimes longer sleeves.

"We go again." -Steven Gerrard
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Baby Punisher

Man how mich did Gabs hate Torts to agree to waive his no trade to go to Columbus Ohio. Good for JD & the blue jackets.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:41 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
there goes the rangers as cup contenders.
Wow does this post make me happy! Pretty much everything you say is dead-wrong, so thanks very much!

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Man how mich did Gabs hate Torts to agree to waive his no trade to go to Columbus Ohio. Good for JD & the blue jackets.
I was speculating the whole time that his problem was Tortorella. But they laguhed at me because we went to the ECF with Torts and therefore he's infallible and perfect.

Old
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Blueshirts, blue jackets....same thing. One just has thicker skin and sometimes longer sleeves.
Nash for Gaborik basically?

It seems like a win win tbh, however I think rangers got a good one in Brassard.

04-03-2013, 04:44 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
Anyway, for a player to waive his NTC to leave a team with all the pieces to win, in the biggest city in the world, with a huge and passionate fan base, to go to a rebuilding team in a small market with no history, tells me this player is not a winner. He doesn't want the spotlight. He is not deserving of the star label. This is not some free agent joining a rebuilding team to enjoy the ride up. This is a guy with one year left on his contract, who will be gone by the time CBJ is really good. I'm not surprised the Rangers wanted to rid themselves of such a player.
Because hating the coach had nothing to do with it.

bigbuffalo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Nash for Gaborik basically?

It seems like a win win tbh, however I think rangers got a good one in Brassard.
I agree it's a win win, and yes Nash for Gaborik is a fair way to look at it.

I feel like we replaced Gaborik with Nash who's an upgrade in overall play and gets along better with our coach and replaced the depth we lost in getting Nash, and the Jackets get a slightly better goal scorer than Nash.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Ceff Jarter
Registered Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktsfan View Post
Brassard rumored to have a bit of a drinking problem. As long as there aren't any bars in New York, this should pan out for the rangers.
thanks mike commadore

In all seriousness Brass has been impressive lately. I can't wait for the game tonight lol

Ceff Jarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Puckgenius*

Gaborik may not hit like Nash but his defensive game is underrated.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote