HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 08:58 AM
punch1943

vCash: 500
Well put coachfluffy...well put

Old
04-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Spitzman

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfluffy View Post
They must have lead the league in short handed goals allowed and in too many men penalties.
To be exact.....12 Too Many Men on the Ice penalties, and 10 Shorthanded Goals against (although two of them were with our net empty). The Spits scored one Shorthanded goal this year. That would definately put us near the leaders in those catagories.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:40 AM
RayzorIsDull

Fluffy surprisingly the Spits did not lead the league in SHG allowed. That title belongs to Ottawa who gave up 20 SHG this year. I have no clue how that is possible but the 67s did it.

Windsor gave up 10 which is in a tie for 3rd. Surprisingly the Knights gave up 9, Sarnia 8, Soo 10, Plymouth 6. Mississauga gave up the fewest with 2. Overall with your post I completely agree, the fundamentals are clearly lacking whether it's connecting on passes or what about players using the boards to get the puck out of the zone instead of center ice? Some of those players have very low hockey iq. The more the off season stretches out I think everybody is starting to realize how poor this team is. For the people that thought Windsor might have had a chance against London. How did Saginaw fare? Windsor wasn't even really close to Saginaw and they got blown away in 4. Maybe Rychel is serious about changes but until that time it's just talk and the front office is on the gravy train, no pressure to put a winning product on the ice and still watching 5000 fans come out to every home game. Well at least 5000 tickets sold, we all know there weren't 5000+ fans walking through those doors every game.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:10 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Well at least 5000 tickets sold, we all know there weren't 5000+ fans walking through those doors every game.
If you didn't go to the games, how would you know? I'd guess there were a good 5,200-5,500 per game. It wasn't as bad as you'd think.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:21 AM
punch1943

Well at least 5000 tickets sold, we all know there weren't 5000+ fans walking through those doors every game.

Some of those were disguised as empty seats...I'll admit to sending a pair of replacement fans on numerous occasions myself...

Old
04-02-2013, 12:40 PM
punch1943

Spits Move up in 2013 OHL Draft

According to Jim Parker (Star).........

#OHL Windsor #Spitfires acquire Sudbury #Wolves 3rd-round pick in Saturday's draft for a 2nd-rounder (London's) in 2014 & Spits 5th in 2016.

....Seems like a steep price to pay for a 3rd round pick

Old
04-02-2013, 12:40 PM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
If you didn't go to the games, how would you know? I'd guess there were a good 5,200-5,500 per game. It wasn't as bad as you'd think.
Considering they were so far behind the Sprit inside the last 10 games they did ok at the gate. Getting 5000 fans for a team eliminated is darn good.

The Spits might wanna take some long shots Saturday since they don't pick until rnd 3 and this is not a good spread out draft. Very top heavy for forwards with top 2 lines of skill . Heck I wouldn't be surprised to see London move that high second....24 missy,s for next year pick. London have a log jam of roster players with OMAC also sitting...Jammes, Pawley also. Is Rychel talking about moving any more roster players for picks oris that not allowed yet.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:13 PM
punch1943

Is Rychel talking about moving any more roster players for picks oris that not allowed yet.

Not allowed yet

Old
04-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Libbs

Wasting a 2nd for next year (which could be more valuable as trade bait next season at the deadline) to move up into the 3rd round this year makes no sense if Rychel still believes they will be granted the tournament next year.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:43 PM
OHLTG

Unless there's more to this than we know??

Old
04-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Ottomatic

So we acquired #47 overall this year, for #39 overall next year and a 2016 5th rounder?

I don't think we have to worry about 2014 second rounders, because we'll likely get a whackload of them when we move Kerby, Vail, Sieloff, Koekkoek come the opening off the off-season, or at the very latest by the trade deadline in January 2014.

I would have held on to it to see if there was any defected first rounders this year though - offering up a couple seconds, if not all three, might have got us a first rounder out of this year yet. Then again, we could trade one of our aforementioned assets for a 2013 first rounder come the window in January just the same.

We're not going to get the hosting gig. I'd bet my house on it. The Ben Johnson charge ended any faint hope me might have had. His court case would be coming up right around the Memorial Cup for crying out loud - what if he is found guilty? An active Spitfire is yanked from the line-up of the Memorial Cup host team and jailed for ****** two girls? Talk about disastrous PR.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:54 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I went to 2 games, I watched the games on tv and the one end was 3/4 empty 80% of the time.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:57 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Wasting a 2nd for next year (which could be more valuable as trade bait next season at the deadline) to move up into the 3rd round this year makes no sense if Rychel still believes they will be granted the tournament next year.
I don't think it's a bad move to creep up in the draft they had to do something. You have a point about moving a 2nd rounder but I bet you if a miracle happened and they were granted the Memorial Cup guys like Sanvido, Verbeek, Brown I am guessing 2 of those 3 would be shipped out for more veteran talent. Also if they don't get the puck they will get those 2nd rounders back when they trade away all the vets to rebuild.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Surprisingly the Knights gave up 9,
I don't think it is that suprising considering many times we rolled out 4 forwards and 1 D or sometimes 5 forwards. Live by the sword, die by it...

Old
04-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Ottomatic

Interesting the former Spits being involved in NHL trades lately - Koko was supposed to have been dealt in package for Iginla before Jerome vetoed it, then Cundari dealt in Bouwmeester deal and today Lane McDermid dealt in package for Jagr.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:19 PM
big papa

i went to every game this season and the attendance was no wear close. i know they did a few games where they ripped of the bar code and anounced 4200 one of the games witch we probly actually had 4,500-4,000 almost every game but maybe a handfull of contests. Only gonna get worse this season

Old
04-02-2013, 03:31 PM
coachfluffy

The sections behind the Spits net are usually used for group sales. I know they dropped a lot of commisioned people and put everything on Nathon. A lot of times there were next to no groups there and those that were there seemed to be sitting directly behind us. Grrr.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:32 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
So we acquired #47 overall this year, for #39 overall next year and a 2016 5th rounder?

I don't think we have to worry about 2014 second rounders, because we'll likely get a whackload of them when we move Kerby, Vail, Sieloff, Koekkoek come the opening off the off-season, or at the very latest by the trade deadline in January 2014.

I would have held on to it to see if there was any defected first rounders this year though - offering up a couple seconds, if not all three, might have got us a first rounder out of this year yet. Then again, we could trade one of our aforementioned assets for a 2013 first rounder come the window in January just the same.

We're not going to get the hosting gig. I'd bet my house on it. The Ben Johnson charge ended any faint hope me might have had. His court case would be coming up right around the Memorial Cup for crying out loud - what if he is found guilty? An active Spitfire is yanked from the line-up of the Memorial Cup host team and jailed for ****** two girls? Talk about disastrous PR.
Will Warren really trade his son, it's an obvious move for team needs. But does he really do it.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Ottomatic

^I think he will. Warren buying part ownership was about controlling Kerby's path to the draft. He'll be a first rounder this year, so he'll have one more year in the OHL given his late birthday and then can play in the AHL. It will be about putting Kerby on a team that will have a legit shot at the Memorial Cup. I could see him even traded to the host team - Barrie or London. I think London would be less likely given he'd have to play against the Spits too often during the season though. But if London hosts, odds are they're the West representatives in the finals, meaning the East winner is getting a Mem Cup spot as well - who are the top teams in the East supposed to be next year?

(Hell, if I was Kerby's draft team, I'd request he be traded away from Warren and the Spits).

Old
04-02-2013, 04:25 PM
scokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scokan View Post
^^^whatever is in the kool-aid your drinking you should spread the wealth.
WR only hope is one of the high end kids holds out and WR makes a play for them
ala. Domi.
Since all other teams no windsor position for this draft the price for moving into the second round maybe a little steeper than pass years..
Quote:
Meh, would not want.

We need hungry kids looking for their shot, not entitled kids trying to call their spot.
[QUOTE=Ottomatic;63036127]

I would have held on to it to see if there was any defected first rounders this year though - offering up a couple seconds, if not all three, might have got us a first rounder out of this year yet. QUOTE]

One day you mention that you wouldnt want WR making a play for a 1st round defect player, than after seeing what WR paid to move up in the upcoming draft, you complain that WR should have used that 2nd rounder on a defected 1st round player.
so what it is Otto?
what would the armchair GM do?

Old
04-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Ottomatic

[QUOTE=scokan;63051797]
Quote:

I would have held on to it to see if there was any defected first rounders this year though - offering up a couple seconds, if not all three, might have got us a first rounder out of this year yet. QUOTE]

One day you mention that you wouldnt want WR making a play for a 1st round defect player, than after seeing what WR paid to move up in the upcoming draft, you complain that WR should have used that 2nd rounder on a defected 1st round player.
so what it is Otto?
what would the armchair GM do?
Busted. Though I'm not really complaining. I mean I'm defending the trading of the 2014 seconds by saying we'll get more of them when we move our current players, and also mention the possibility to trade current players for first rounders at the January deadline.

I'm torn on the issue. If you put it like that, I say I don't want the defected kid. But damn do we need high end talent here and we're not going to get it in the later round. Domi was a defected player and he's worked out swimmingly - so I guess I'd say that it would depend on the defected player.

But I'd err on the side of not trading for one because they are mentally soft. Domi was a special case of his father cooking a deal with his ex-teammate and Hunters where they all won. Kingston tanked to get a top pick, a comp first at #9 and a few second rounders and London built for this year and the next by getting both Horvat and Domi in the same draft.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:18 PM
ForestGlade
Paja Tipo Sombrero

vCash: 450
Man I missed you guys

The constant need for gratification by "making a run this year" goes back to the olden days of Riolo where you could print up fighting for a #7 seed and a first round date with the Whalers in the pocket schedule. Considering this ownership group WROTE THE BOOK on rebuilding through drafts and smart trades, and NOT "draft all the Americans and hope they come over", you would think they wouldn't fall for the trap to just make it.

Really, considering Game 4 of the 2012 Windsor-London series drew the Woofsoo's only sub-5000 crowd, you would think ownership wouldn't be so desperate to throw everything away for two extra ticket gates and a first round sweep.

Rebuild properly, not using the USNDPT and every draft pick from now until my grandchildren are retired as quick fixes

Old
04-03-2013, 04:31 PM
RayzorIsDull

Spits get 2nd rounder in 2013, 5th 2014, 10th in 2016
Spirit get 2nd in 2014, 3rd in 2014, 8th in 2016

Can somebody just take the keys away from Rychel. Getting early picks in 2013 at the exepense of 2014 doesn't solve the problem. Like a cat trying to chase it's tail.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Ottomatic

^2014 picks will be replenished with in-season trades. Kerby, Vail, Sieloff, Koekkoek will all bring 2014 second rounders as part of the returning package.

We still have one 2014 second IIRC now, as well as our first next year. We also have a second and two thirds on Saturday - I can dig that.

It's Barrie's 2nd rounder this year, so 35th overall. We trade Saginaw back their 2014 second rounder which should be <30 next year.

I might try to package this late second with our later 3rd to move up into the early second if possible.

Old
04-03-2013, 04:41 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
^2014 picks will be replenished with in-season trades. Kerby, Vail, Sieloff, Koekkoek will all bring 2014 second rounders as part of the returning package.

We still have one 2014 second IIRC now, as well as our first next year. We also have a second and two thirds on Saturday - I can dig that.
Rychel doesn't know the meaning of that.

Closed Thread