HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The current rebuilding process is another benefit of Pegula's ownership.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:10 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
The current rebuilding process is another benefit of Pegula's ownership.

I've been thinking about this and it seems obvious in hindsight that Regier wasn't allowed by the previous owners to do what he is currently doing. Another benefit of Pegula I hadn't thought of until now is we are no longer under the year to year mandate to try and make the playoffs.

Golisano/Quinn were about the year to year budget. and the positive impact making the playoffs each year could have on that. The primary focus was on breaking even/making and the playoffs in that context was something they viewed as a another revenue stream. So their mindset was to always try to make the playoffs for the revenue. They also wouldn't allow Regier to take on salary at the deadline because they didn't allow deviation from the budget set before the season. So thats why we would have the bizarre deadlines with Darcy sending salary out in order to bring salary in.

But other than Campbell getting traded because we knew we couldn't re-sign him, our pending UFAs were not dealt to stockpile picks. If they were moved at all it was to free up money to add another player to the roster in a separate trade. The ultimate goal being just getting into the playoffs that particular year.

The new focus is about more than just making the playoffs but about doing some damage when we get there. As Darcy said when commenting on the Regehr trade; "We're really going to look toward building this team, not just to make it into the playoffs but go deep into the playoffs".

I know many of us understandably looked at the benefits of Pegula from the big spending side of things; aggressive attempts to sign UFAs, never having to let our top players go again because we could afford to re-sign them, eating contracts to facilitate trades and the ability to offer huge front loaded deals which helps with the first two things I mentioned.

The current ownership focus is looking at the long game and building a winner as opposed to a more narrowly focused year to year approach.

Darcy may or may not be the right man for the job. But he will certainly be allowed to do what he thinks needs to be done for the betterment of the team long term. Instead of a narrow year to year budgetary focus.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Old Navy Goat

I agree, under TG and LQ it was all about making the playoffs. Any trade besides being a dollar for dollar affair was simply designed to provide enough of a boost to make the playoffs so players weren't moved out for potential.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:00 PM
The Real

Good post. I do have to wonder though if he and Ted Black regret the whole 3 year win a cup thing.

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real View Post
Good post. I do have to wonder though if he and Ted Black regret the whole 3 year win a cup thing.
I think they honestly thought the team was closer than it was. They were division champs and had made the playoffs 2 years in a row before he bought the team. I think he believed that an influx of cash to get the proper pieces and some flexibility for Darcy would have pushed them over the top.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
I agree, under TG and LQ it was all about making the playoffs. Any trade besides being a dollar for dollar affair was simply designed to provide enough of a boost to make the playoffs so players weren't moved out for potential.
It seems we're collecting the draft picks now, as opposed to wasting them on what usually amounted to weak rentals in the past. Darcy also seems to be able to parley them into decent prospects at the draft, too.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Ghost of Dale Hunter

Well said.

Ghost of Dale Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

I think they've come to the conclusion...that... Pegula bucks came too late to help in terms of signing UFA's... for two reasons...

1) The new CBA hurts the front loading of contracts.

and

2) Big game changers are not hitting FA anymore (outside of 1 or 2 a year)..and this will likely continue.

I mean we were all clamoring for Brad Richards ... and I for one..am glad we missed out... (except it brought about the Leino contract.)

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:05 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Very much so. Essentially, this season is giving Pegula the chance to rebuild the way he should've when he first bought the team. OK, so throwing money around doesn't win cups? Well, now we know that.

Now, hopefully, he can get the roster in a spot where we can be a contender for years.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:31 AM
Prospector74

Excellent post! Best read today by far. Thanks.

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Luceni

It was a nice read and to get rid of Leopold/Regehr for futures was a good start.

I hope the house-cleaning continues. Next step is pominville, stafford and miller.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:05 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Just to not forget - Golisano also saved this team. Worth mentioning, thats all. Now we are on our feet we outgrew that ownership and got very lucky with Pegula.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:02 AM
HockeyHeaven8248

I miss Playoff hockey...

HockeyHeaven8248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
I think they honestly thought the team was closer than it was. They were division champs and had made the playoffs 2 years in a row before he bought the team. I think he believed that an influx of cash to get the proper pieces and some flexibility for Darcy would have pushed them over the top.
Plenty of folks rated the Sabres far higher than their performance over the past 2-3 years. Remember the LA Kings - Sabres Cup predictions? It's not like Pegula and Co. saw something that no one else did. They saw a team, that on paper, was talented enough to compete. And to a certain degree, it was. Had the Sabres gotten into the playoffs last year, with the way they were playing, who knows what would have happened?

But the team chemistry is all wrong. Good that Regier sees that. Better is adjust expectations than ignore reality. Plenty of great achievements happened after failure and learning from the fall.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:41 AM
slip

Quote:
Well said.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I've been thinking about this and it seems obvious in hindsight that Regier wasn't allowed by the previous owners to do what he is currently doing. Another benefit of Pegula I hadn't thought of until now is we are no longer under the year to year mandate to try and make the playoffs.

Golisano/Quinn were about the year to year budget. and the positive impact making the playoffs each year could have on that. The primary focus was on breaking even/making and the playoffs in that context was something they viewed as a another revenue stream. So their mindset was to always try to make the playoffs for the revenue. They also wouldn't allow Regier to take on salary at the deadline because they didn't allow deviation from the budget set before the season. So thats why we would have the bizarre deadlines with Darcy sending salary out in order to bring salary in.

But other than Campbell getting traded because we knew we couldn't re-sign him, our pending UFAs were not dealt to stockpile picks. If they were moved at all it was to free up money to add another player to the roster in a separate trade. The ultimate goal being just getting into the playoffs that particular year.

The new focus is about more than just making the playoffs but about doing some damage when we get there. As Darcy said when commenting on the Regehr trade; "We're really going to look toward building this team, not just to make it into the playoffs but go deep into the playoffs".

I know many of us understandably looked at the benefits of Pegula from the big spending side of things; aggressive attempts to sign UFAs, never having to let our top players go again because we could afford to re-sign them, eating contracts to facilitate trades and the ability to offer huge front loaded deals which helps with the first two things I mentioned.

The current ownership focus is looking at the long game and building a winner as opposed to a more narrowly focused year to year approach.

Darcy may or may not be the right man for the job. But he will certainly be allowed to do what he thinks needs to be done for the betterment of the team long term. Instead of a narrow year to year budgetary focus.
Right now, the bitter emotional part of me is waiting to see any benefit of the Pegula ownership.

Good, well thought-out post though. Obviously the important decision will be who is in charge of this rebuilding effort, and what plan that person has for it.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Afino
The Juice

vCash: 50
#Sabres Darcy Regier: "The preference is to build for a Stanley Cup versus a playoff run."

Darcy pretty much proves with one line that JJ is right here.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
#Sabres Darcy Regier: "The preference is to build for a Stanley Cup versus a playoff run."

Darcy pretty much proves with one line that JJ is right here.
It's also the rebuild we've been talking about all season.

Listening to Regier's comments today I got the impression that they really, really, really want MacKinnon, Jones or Drouin. And that the lottery portion of the 2014 and 2015 drafts may be in their game plan as well. Ted Black is no stranger to what drafting players like MacKinnon and McDavid can do to a franchise.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:56 PM
ogoaltrop

Who are the teachers in this organization of this young talent coming in ?

ogoaltrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Jame
Dream '16

it's amazing how seamlessly you just moved from viewing this direction as "intentionally losing" to "the benefits of Pegula"

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 356
I will gladly take 1-2 years of re-building if it means a 4-5 year run at the cup. Outside of Detroit (with 3-4 HOF'ers), no team has won the cup in the past decade without 2 or more top 4 picks in the draft. And yes, I do have season tickets (since 1987) and am willing to wait for results.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:15 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Christian Ehrhoff chose Buffalo over the Islanders because we were closer.

oops!

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Christian Ehrhoff chose Buffalo over the Islanders because we were closer.

oops!
Made me lol. And here moving to a fresh n fun Barclays just outside manhattan.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote