HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Acquire Steve Mason; have re-signed him to a 1-yr ($1.5m ext.), Apr. 8

Old
04-03-2013, 04:47 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I havent said this yet but...

**** YOU MICHAEL LEIGHTON! I HOPE YOU NEVER COME BACK!

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:47 PM
ahthorne

vCash: 500
I don't hate it. Considering the price for a guy like Ben Bishop, I'd take Mason.

ahthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:49 PM
TheLegendkiller

Pens fans saying we're Trade Deadline losers. We made one trade...a 3rd rounder in 2015 for a backup. Who the **** cares, that trade shouldn't even register on lists. Pens fans gonna troll at least troll something major.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:51 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Pens fans saying we're Trade Deadline losers. We made one trade...a 3rd rounder in 2015 for a backup. Who the **** cares, that trade shouldn't even register on lists. Pens fans gonna troll at least troll something major.
I'm going to laugh when Fleury ***** the bed again and they lose

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:55 PM
MP92

Quote:
Id say we're far from losers. Washington and Tampa made the worst imo.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:56 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Yea seriously. They traded for ****ing everyone. They lose.... they will be a laughing stock. I guess if they win it all, congrats to them for trading for 4 different players.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Evil Edler
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
better than Luongo though?

Evil Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:57 PM

vCash: 50
Christ on a bike, it's only a third round pick.

Low risk, mega high reward. I like this, much rather play a young kid with potential as back-up than some washed-up old nobody like Boucher or Leighton.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:58 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
in general pens fans are just that, pens fans, not hockey fans so they really don't know their ass from their elbow. i wouldn't call the flyers winners but to say losers is equally as stupid imo. just a low risk, moderate reward deal nothing else.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:04 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
i consider today a win. Couturier, Schenn, the first still belong to Philly. We didnt give anything else up for nothing (IE Read+ for bishop). Added a backup/potential starter for MFL and a 3rd 2 years from now. Win.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:18 PM
MsWoof

Remember when Homer said he could sign Carle for a discount? Now he's saying it again about Mason. Does this guy ever learn that he should shut his mouth?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:19 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Remember when Homer said he could sign Carle for a discount? Now he's saying it again about Mason. Does this guy ever learn that he should shut his mouth?
Mason is a RFA, Carle was a UFA. Pretty big difference

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:21 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
i consider today a win. Couturier, Schenn, the first still belong to Philly. We didnt give anything else up for nothing (IE Read+ for bishop). Added a backup/potential starter for MFL and a 3rd 2 years from now. Win.
I agree. There just wasn't any trades to make. Flyers are so injured, no point in trading future to win now. Also, in trading for futures, there was no trades to make. All of our veteran trade chips were hurt.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Mason isn't that bad.
Yes he is

He has been the worst starting goalie consistantly in NHL ,, He also allows some of the worst goals you will see

You guys happy to replace Leighton with Mason are going to be asking if they are same person after watching Mason in net

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:24 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
and there was a market for pmd's who put up an average of 38pts the previous 3 yrs. not much of a market for a back up who posted a sub .900 save percentage avg over the previous 4 yrs. there is in fact a huge difference

by discount i think homer just means less than he's getting right now. or is that not possible?

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:24 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
No, it's not. He is demeaning the player in both cases. Really starts off this guy's career in Philly on the right foot when the guy who hired him is already talking about getting him to take a pay cut.

Not that I want Mason here, I've seen enough of him to know he's brutal. Why not just let MFL walk in 3 weeks and explore your options then?

Old
04-03-2013, 05:26 PM
UKFlyers

Quote:
Probably not though, considering the Flyers almost certainly won't qualify Mason at $2.9mil or whatever number it is. The big difference is that Carle was a quite highly thought-of defenceman in a Free Agents market that lacked quality dmen. Mason is a back-up goalie who currently has an extremely low reputation. Looking at the UFA market for the upcoming market, there are a number of different options out there for teams. I don't think anyone would even consider giving Mason a raise unless he plays out of his skin for the remainder of this season

UKFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Jackets fan here in peace.

I really hope Mason finds his game for you guys. He will always have a soft spot in Jackets fans hearts for his rookie season when he led us to the play-offs. Sadly that is when his game fell off...........however.

He has looked better this year. He seems to be better positioned around the net, and better with his glove. Though his numbers don't look great due to a few bad games, he has also played very well in other games.

I would say that Mason is a good back-up at this point, but is still young and has the physical ability to re-elevate his game.

I wish him the best with you guys.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:30 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
As someone pointed out on another site both Bishop and Conacher are relatively unproven. If Bishop turns out to be a pretty good starter then it isn't an out and out loss even if Conacher becomes a great offensive player. I think the Erat-Forsberg trade has the bigger potential to be looked at as a loss, but at the same time FOrsberg may not work out in the NHL for some reason. In addition Erat should be able to put up quite a few points playing with the Caps and if he can help them make a cup run then I think it is a worthwhile trade.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 04-03-2013 at 05:59 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:31 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
No, it's not. He is demeaning the player in both cases. Really starts off this guy's career in Philly on the right foot when the guy who hired him is already talking about getting him to take a pay cut.

Not that I want Mason here, I've seen enough of him to know he's brutal. Why not just let MFL walk in 3 weeks and explore your options then?
Mason isnt gonna get an upgrade on his deal ANYWHERE. I agree he shouldnt tell the world what his plan is.

Mason is 24. Relax. Its been mentioned umpteen times that most of the leagues starters dont even break in the league until they are 24ish. Columbus was wrong to rely on a kid. Wrong. Just like Philly was wrong to rely on a 21 year old kid in his first season in north america. a 3rd 2 years from now is NOTHING to pay to explore options early. He doesnt sign, we lose a 3rd in 2015. Big ****ing deal. He plays well, he plays well. We have 2 years to buy out Bryz. Why not sign Mason for a year and see what he has.

I forgot any asset the flyers owns>Sidney Crosby. Relax

Old
04-03-2013, 05:37 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Mason isnt gonna get an upgrade on his deal ANYWHERE. I agree he shouldnt tell the world what his plan is.

Mason is 24. Relax. Its been mentioned umpteen times that most of the leagues starters dont even break in the league until they are 24ish. Columbus was wrong to rely on a kid. Wrong. Just like Philly was wrong to rely on a 21 year old kid in his first season in north america. a 3rd 2 years from now is NOTHING to pay to explore options early. He doesnt sign, we lose a 3rd in 2015. Big ****ing deal. He plays well, he plays well. We have 2 years to buy out Bryz. Why not sign Mason for a year and see what he has.

I forgot any asset the flyers owns>Sidney Crosby. Relax
Giving away draft picks for no real good reason is a big ****ing deal. It's not like this is the first time it's happened. Holmgren today was just brilliant, first he tells everyone he didn't know the trade was going down. How the hell does the GM of the team not know a trade was going down? Then he talks about signing this guy for a lower price. Why say that? Why does he have to blab so much to the media?

I am not a fan of Mason and I don't think he's worth $2.9 million or even half that, but I've been looking at this trade and just don't get why it even had to be made. Why not just ride the season out and let MFL go? There are better goalies out there than Mason.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:38 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Minnesota says hi. They paid a premium on Pominville. Derek Roy's a comparable player and only reeled in a 2nd rounder and a prospect.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:39 PM
TheDrizzle81

You'd think philly traded Sean Couturier, The Schenns, Claude Giroux, Jake Voracek, Eric Lindros rookie card, every shread of memorabilia and trophy from our cup wins in the 70's and Pat Burrell's dog for Steve Mason. Thats how valuable a 3rd rounder in 2015 is worth.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:41 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 1161
Quote:
You'd think philly traded Sean Couturier, The Schenns, Claude Giroux, Jake Voracek, Eric Lindros rookie card, every shread of memorabilia and trophy from our cup wins in the 70's and Pat Burrell's dog for Steve Mason. Thats how valuable a 3rd rounder in 2015 is worth.
Lol. Seriously.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:44 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Giving away draft picks for no real good reason is a big ****ing deal. It's not like this is the first time it's happened. Holmgren today was just brilliant, first he tells everyone he didn't know the trade was going down. How the hell does the GM of the team not know a trade was going down? Then he talks about signing this guy for a lower price. Why say that? Why does he have to blab so much to the media?

I am not a fan of Mason and I don't think he's worth $2.9 million or even half that, but I've been looking at this trade and just don't get why it even had to be made. Why not just ride the season out and let MFL go? There are better goalies out there than Mason.

The Flyers recycle 2-3rd round picks like crazy. Im sure we will see a 2015 3rd come and go quite a bit. Its an extremely low risk with a potentially high reward. Im all for bashing homer and I agree this shouldnt have happened if he would have showed some damn patience with bob (instead of signing bryz to that deal and forcing his hand on richards/carter). Bob>Mason. But Mason>any goalie. Mason will sign for less than 2.9 mil here or elsewhere. Hes not worth it and everyone knows it. Should Homer outright say that? No. Homers not a very smart man, BUT taking this risk at the expense of a 2015 3rd? well worth it. The kid is still 24 years old. Theres time to find himself. I said earlier i dont think that would be here with how irrational management, the media and fans are, but i feel he will end up OK>