HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Acquire Steve Mason; have re-signed him to a 1-yr ($1.5m ext.), Apr. 8

Old
04-03-2013, 06:44 PM
The Couturier Effect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Giving away draft picks for no real good reason is a big ****ing deal. It's not like this is the first time it's happened. Holmgren today was just brilliant, first he tells everyone he didn't know the trade was going down. How the hell does the GM of the team not know a trade was going down? Then he talks about signing this guy for a lower price. Why say that? Why does he have to blab so much to the media?

I am not a fan of Mason and I don't think he's worth $2.9 million or even half that, but I've been looking at this trade and just don't get why it even had to be made. Why not just ride the season out and let MFL go? There are better goalies out there than Mason.
Calm down about the pick. It's a 3rd in 2 years.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Prongo
Beer

I am not seeing the big deal with the telling the media they will try to resign Mason at a lower salary. In the interview he states he already talked to his agent and it's already been discussed. He had to know that the question would arise about how much are we willing to pay both our goalies next year. There really isn't an issue with this I believe.

Also Homer claimed he didn't know the deal would go down because he was in negotiations with Ottawa for Bishop. After that broke down around 2-215 he probably kicked the tires about Mason. The deal came together fast enough for them to get it done. The Flyers have always been interested in Mason, and they seem to think they see something in him.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:50 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
I dont even wanna think about the backlash had we moved Read and a 3rd/4th for Bishop.... (Captain Hindsight will repeatedly post, WELL BISHOP IS BETTER I DONT CARE!!!!!!! because thats bs itd be "we dont even know if hes any good. read is the second coming of gretzky and the 4th was gonna be the next lemieux)

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:51 PM
FlyingPhilly

At least MFL is gone from the Flyers. It better be forever. Now if only Mason doesn't become MFL 2.0....

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:52 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I am not seeing the big deal with the telling the media they will try to resign Mason at a lower salary. In the interview he states he already talked to his agent and it's already been discussed. He had to know that the question would arise about how much are we willing to pay both our goalies next year. There really isn't an issue with this I believe.

Also Homer claimed he didn't know the deal would go down because he was in negotiations with Ottawa for Bishop. After that broke down around 2-215 he probably kicked the tires about Mason. The deal came together fast enough for them to get it done. The Flyers have always been interested in Mason, and they seem to think they see something in him.
and between the CBJ and FLYERS board I might be the only other person who sees it too.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:53 PM
ugiswrong

Mason's highlights kind of make him remind me of Hextall in size (length) and mobility comparisons.

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Prongo
Beer

I never thought the day we lose Micheal Leighton for good that we would be *****ing about it. Especially if it's only at the expense of a 3rd rounder for a young goalie the Flyers see potential in.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:57 PM
MASE THE ACE

question on his cap hit for next year, according to cap geek to qualify him we need to spend 3.2mil

Or is there something I am missing here.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=622

MASE THE ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backburner View Post
question on his cap hit for next year, according to cap geek to qualify him we need to spend 3.2mil

Or is there something I am missing here.

http://capgeek.com/flyers/cap-calculator/
Flyers can negotiate a deal with him for less. He isn't getting 3.2 million from anyone in the NHL, so hopefully he likes his short time in Philly and understands management wants him here. He knows he has struggled, and if he doesn't take a pay cut, let him go.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:00 PM
MASE THE ACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Flyers can negotiate a deal with him for less. He isn't getting 3.2 million from anyone in the NHL, so hopefully he likes his short time in Philly and understands management wants him here. He knows he has struggled, and if he doesn't take a pay cut, let him go.
Got ya,
so treat him more as an UFA than RFA

MASE THE ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:01 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
At least MFL is gone from the Flyers. It better be forever. Now if only Mason doesn't become MFL 2.0....
This is why we WON this trade!

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:03 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Not sure why anyone is hating on this trade. He's a 24 year old RFA, and will sign for cheap next year. Plus we got rid of Leighton and the thrid rounder is 2 years from now. Deep breathes people.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:07 PM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

I'm pretty solid on this trade. He's young a key. You can do a lot worse. He needs a change.

TheCerebral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:18 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
We've had 2 more signings of MFL since 2010. Don't count anything out for next season.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:20 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
We've had 2 more signings of MFL since 2010. Don't count anything out for next season.
He remains on the team's roster page:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Quote:
Goalies

# Name Height Weight Date Of Birth Age Birth Place
30 Ilya Bryzgalov 6' 3" 213 Jun 22, 1980 32 Togliatti, RUS
Calvin Heeter 6' 4" 195 Nov 2, 1988 24 St. Louis, MO, USA
49 Michael Leighton 6' 3" 186 May 19, 1981 31 Petrolia, ON, CAN
Steve Mason 6' 4" 217 May 29, 1988 24 Oakville, ON, CAN

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:22 PM
BernieParent

Since a great deal of the fun of the TDL is to dissect deals like Grade 10 biology frogs, I'm intrigued by the possibilities of this deal. As others have written, the Flyers would have to qualify Mason (an RFA at the end of this season) at a minimum of $2.9 million. I am assuming that this covers negotiations before we arrive at the end of the season; I tried to read the CBA, but I lost consciousness and woke up in an ice-filled bathtub with only 1 kidney.

As it would be ludicrous to think of paying a back-up with mediocre numbers $2.9 million just to be a back-up, all signs would point to the Flyers not retaining him. And yet Mason was dealt for a 3rd round pick (the horror!) and Michael Leighton. MFL is sitting his way towards the end of his latest contract with the Flyers, so it's not like Holmgren is ridding himself of a bad contract.

So why do the deal?

It may be as benign as getting a front-row seat to see how Mason fits the Flyers ahead of possibly resigning him. My cursory glance at the CBA doesn't indicate that they can't let him become a UFA and then offer him much less than $2.9 million, but they would put themselves at the risk of losing out to another club. Please correct me if I am misinterpreting. Not that I believe there would be a groundswell of interest around Mason the UFA.

It may be a hurried try-out for Mason instead of Bryzgalov, which I think is pretty ridiculous: giving a portion of 12 starts to an otherwise mediocre (of late) goaltender to prove himself above the big-name goaltender signed forever seems to be the height of knee-jerk. And even if this were Holmgren's master plan, he still could have otherwise waited for Mason to hit FA and sign him for a more cap-friendly amount and then send Bryzgalov into the final frontier on the shuttle of amnesty buy-out.

Or maybe it's just a short-term plan for no reason whatsoever. Who knows? It's a bit higgeldy-piggeldy in sending away a 3rd rounder, but, as has also been posted, it's on the shallow end of the stupidity pool for this time of the season. And that's something for which we can all be grateful even if there is no master plan.

EDIT: Looking at the posts while I wrote this saga corroborates what I was thinking about RFA/UFA: if there is opportunity to flat-out renegotiate free of the 100% RFA salary restriction, this deal makes much more sense.

Last edited by BernieParent: 04-03-2013 at 07:30 PM.
BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:33 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Flyers have always had interest in Mason and I suspect Holmgren just "jumped" at the "opportunity" to have him for a minimal price. In short, there is no happy balance or rhyme or reason when it comes to the Flyers and goaltenders....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:48 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Flyers have always had interest in Mason and I suspect Holmgren just "jumped" at the "opportunity" to have him for a minimal price. In short, there is no happy balance or rhyme or reason when it comes to the Flyers and goaltenders....
I'm not against bringing in Mason on a fundamental level. We've made our bed with Bryz and he's our guy, so taking a chance on a guy as backup is kind of just whatever in my book.

Burning a third on a guy who most likely could have been signed cheap as a UFA this summer is ponderous. It's just plain scary when you take into account that Homer might just be stupid enough to sign him at ~3 million on top of it all.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Jackets fan here. Mason is a head case and loses his confidence easily. He'll give you a great game one night then let in 6 the next night. He'll make an impossible save then let in a softie your grandmother could save. You're always nervous with this guy in net especially if you're up by one late in the game. Get used to him ducking on slap shots, staring at the ceiling with his arms hanging straight down after he is scored on.
Maybe he regains his mojo with you guys but we are glad he's gone around here! We would have been thrilled to just give him to you free!! But a third rounder?? Sweet! Again I wish him the best with you guys except when playing us which will be a lot more starting next year! We know where to shoot on him though, High Glove Side!!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Mgkibbles

Seems pretty low risk/high reward, which is nice. But I seriously doubt Mason turns things around here. Oh well.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:29 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Jackets fan here. Mason is a head case and loses his confidence easily. He'll give you a great game one night then let in 6 the next night. He'll make an impossible save then let in a softie your grandmother could save. You're always nervous with this guy in net especially if you're up by one late in the game. Get used to him ducking on slap shots, staring at the ceiling with his arms hanging straight down after he is scored on.
Maybe he regains his mojo with you guys but we are glad he's gone around here! We would have been thrilled to just give him to you free!! But a third rounder?? Sweet! Again I wish him the best with you guys except when playing us which will be a lot more starting next year! We know where to shoot on him though, High Glove Side!!
Sounds similar to a $51M goalie here. I am not liking this one bit.

At least his cap hit shouldn't be as high. Or so I hope.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Xoggz22

Not that anyone is asking but as a season ticket holder for the CBJ (and long time Ranger hater!) I can tell you that Mason has the physical tools to be a #1. he's athletic as hell and moves well post to post. His puck handling is suspect but has improved. Mason's problem is between the ears. Ian Clark has done a lot with MAson and he was not horrible this year. I think Mason has learned what crow tastes like and has become more humble and a better teammate.

Mason would blame teammates, trainers, ice guys, etc. for his problems. He would over commit, had poor workout habbits and thought his athleticism would keep him a start goalie. Clearly not the case but he's worked hard and improved this year. if anything, you need a good goalie coach and the ability to sign him for 2/3 his current salary (if not more). Let him earn his way back. He started to do that this year. Still let in soft goals but didn't seem to impact him like in the past.

I wish him luck. Honestly, I'm glad he's gone - not for how poorly he's played but more becuase I want to see him get a fresh start and extract the talent he has. He's young enough to succeed but he needs someone to stay in his head and keep him focused.

good luck

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:33 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Not that anyone is asking but as a season ticket holder for the CBJ (and long time Ranger hater!) I can tell you that Mason has the physical tools to be a #1. he's athletic as hell and moves well post to post. His puck handling is suspect but has improved. Mason's problem is between the ears. Ian Clark has done a lot with MAson and he was not horrible this year. I think Mason has learned what crow tastes like and has become more humble and a better teammate.

Mason would blame teammates, trainers, ice guys, etc. for his problems. He would over commit, had poor workout habbits and thought his athleticism would keep him a start goalie. Clearly not the case but he's worked hard and improved this year. if anything, you need a good goalie coach and the ability to sign him for 2/3 his current salary (if not more). Let him earn his way back. He started to do that this year. Still let in soft goals but didn't seem to impact him like in the past.

I wish him luck. Honestly, I'm glad he's gone - not for how poorly he's played but more becuase I want to see him get a fresh start and extract the talent he has. He's young enough to succeed but he needs someone to stay in his head and keep him focused.

good luck
i honestly beleive in my hearts that this could very well end up for us, like Bob ended up in CBus. I really do. But Im also a rare breed of Flyers fan who sometimes can be optimistic.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:40 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I would have traded a 3rd round pick and leighton for a promise from homer that he won't resign leighton. The fact we got a player in return is a bonus.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:57 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
You'd think philly traded Sean Couturier, The Schenns, Claude Giroux, Jake Voracek, Eric Lindros rookie card, every shread of memorabilia and trophy from our cup wins in the 70's and Pat Burrell's dog for Steve Mason. Thats how valuable a 3rd rounder in 2015 is worth.
This is right up there with Andreas Nodl, who was a 20+ page thread.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote