HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Players wanting out

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-03-2013, 05:41 PM
  #26
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Poile added 2 skilled forwards, a veteran bottom 6 pk/faceoff guy, and a veteran d-man with Cup experience before last year's playoffs. That wasn't improving the team?
They were short term gambles. When the dusk settled, the team was no better off and out more assets.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:43 PM
  #27
AintLifeGrand
Registered User
 
AintLifeGrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Thrasherville, GA
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,604
vCash: 500
I'm going to miss his (sometimes )dynamic playing ability, that goal from the Playoffs Vs Detroit was the most memorable in Pred's history.

But Forsberg is going to be sick. Like everyone is saying he probably will evolve into the role as our 1st line C. I think he can put up Evander Kane type stats. I imagine at his worst he will be a poor man's Landeskog.

Hope we move SK 79 and 2nd for Burmistrov!

Wilson- Legwand -Forsberg
Bourque-Burmistrov-Hornqvist
Hali- Fisher-Butler
Clune-Gausted-Smith

Check out that Depth ,son!

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:46 PM
  #28
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
They were short term gambles. When the dusk settled, the team was no better off and out more assets.
That's what happens when you take risks for players and try to make a run, sometimes you're left holding the bag. Poile gets so much **** for being conservative, and yet the few times he does take a chance, he gets **** for that as well. They were the right type of moves to make last season, and on paper made the team a significant threat going into the playoffs. I'm not sure what else the players would have expected him to do for last season.

Naturally, after giving up those assets, and watching Suter tuck tail and go home, we were left a little worse for wear this season, but that's the chance you take sometimes.

Iron Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:48 PM
  #29
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
They were short term gambles. When the dusk settled, the team was no better off and out more assets.
So Poile is darned if he makes moves ... darned if he doesn't. No matter what, he gets slammed and uncorrelated events get lumped together as pseudo-evidence.



In the past three seasons it's been bringing in Fisher .... Gill, Gaustad, AK46, Radulov ... moving Erat for Forsberg ... with Erat as the only major roster player heading out to make a move.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:51 PM
  #30
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Stranger, I'm not sure if you have advocated it, but haven't there been several posts wanting Erat moved for a good forward prospect, preferably one who could turn into a 1C?

Honestly, I never thought we would be able to trade Erat, but if he wanted out that's fine. Move one of the aging "core" assets for a good young asset, and move on. That's asset management. Poile didn't have to trade him at all.
I'm all for trading Erat for a prospect. I wasn't slamming Poile for that move. My initial post in this thread was regarding Erat asking to be traded and a now growing trend of players not wanting to be here.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:56 PM
  #31
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
So Poile is darned if he makes moves ... darned if he doesn't.
No, his job is to make the team better for the long-term. In the last 3-4 years, we've gone from team on the rise with a ton of assets to team on the bubble, with little assets, and star players wanting out. He's darned for that.

I do like the Erat trade (thank you Marty for asking for a trade) but this type of asset mgmt is something Poile should have been doing long ago. I do give Poile credit for getting what looks be a great prospect in return.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:04 PM
  #32
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
No, his job is to make the team better for the long-term. In the last 3-4 years, we've gone from team on the rise with a ton of assets to team on the bubble, with little assets, and star players wanting out. He's darned for that.

I do like the Erat trade (thank you Marty for asking for a trade) but this type of asset mgmt is something Poile should have been doing long ago. I do give Poile credit for getting what looks be a great prospect in return.
Let's see ... in the past five years he's added Wilson, Josi, Beck, Bourque, and Ellis to the roster through the draft ... packaged Lindback and Latta in trades ... brought in Fisher and Gaustad long term ... just acquired one of the top rated Euro forwards ... but he does nothing to make the team better for the long term.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:09 PM
  #33
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Let's see ... in the past five years he's added Wilson, Josi, Beck, Bourque, and Ellis to the roster through the draft ... packaged Lindback and Latta in trades ... brought in Fisher and Gaustad long term ... just acquired one of the top rated Euro forwards ... but he does nothing to make the team better for the long term.
Don't forget about Aberg and Leipsic too. Aberg is the top scorer in the same league Forsberg is coming from where Forsberg was number 2. So basically we got a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder out of last years draft that all have great potential of putting up some great offensive numbers in the near future. I'm good with that.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:09 PM
  #34
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Let's see ... in the past five years he's added Wilson, Josi, Beck, Bourque, and Ellis to the roster through the draft ... packaged Lindback and Latta in trades ... brought in Fisher and Gaustad long term ... just acquired one of the top rated Euro forwards ... but he does nothing to make the team better for the long term.
After reading this insane thread, I was getting ready to make a post almost identical to yours........ Then just said- "why bother"???

Some People on here are just never going to be satisfied......

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:11 PM
  #35
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant View Post
You must be listening to these clowns on The Game. Frightening. They don't have a clue, and they're harping on the most ridiculous angles. Poile has the right idea...
I'm glad someone else heard this- clowns is correct- the angles they were taking on this trade were beyond laughable......

I appreciate having hockey talk on, but come on, have a little knowledge.....

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:11 PM
  #36
Cashville
RIP Lindback
 
Cashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,989
vCash: 1225
This was in the best interests of the club and the player; sometimes a change of scenery is needed and, frankly, Marty gave Poile some great optionality by admitting he was willing to waive his NMC. Poile capitalized with a great trade. I love Marty still and this trade will actually make me go to way more Caps games now.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:22 PM
  #37
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Let's see ... in the past five years he's added Wilson, Josi, Beck, Bourque, and Ellis to the roster through the draft ... packaged Lindback and Latta in trades ... brought in Fisher and Gaustad long term ... just acquired one of the top rated Euro forwards ... but he does nothing to make the team better for the long term.
No, to you.

Both Weber and Suter have been puliclicy critical of Poile's complacently, so don't come in here with your smugness routine shaking heads. And it's likely a big reason both were willing to go elsewhere.

Having Guastad as an example of improving our team is exactly why our team is where it is. You also conveniently went back 5-6 years so you could include Wilson and Josi and in your list, otherwise all we got is Bourque as a legit NHLer right now.

Here's just a short list of Poile's achievements the last 3-4 years

- Our top 2 players wanted out in part to Poile's complacency
- Our best offensive player played Poile for a fool, twice
- Poile has burned assets at the deadline for rentals that didn't work out
- Poile has made no good trade since Steve Sullivan
- No trades or signings attempted to address glaring weaknesses (scoring)
- Best offensive signing: Linus Klassen
- Letting Hamhuis go for nothing when we knew we had no chance to retain him
- Letting Suter play him for a fool, when he should have traded him if he wasn't going to sign an extension
- Trading a 1st for Guastad
- Signing Guastad for $12 million dollars
- Giving Mike Fisher a raise and extension after he he played horribly for the whole 2nd half of the season
- Taking our best player to court to prove he wasn't worth the money
- Subsequently saying he didn't have time to work on other contracts (i.e. Suter extension) because he was spent all the time on taking our best player to court

But I do like the Erat trade. Been clamoring for this type of trade for years. But it was Erat-induced.


Last edited by dulzhok: 04-03-2013 at 06:27 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:22 PM
  #38
Preddownsouth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
After reading this insane thread, I was getting ready to make a post almost identical to yours........ Then just said- "why bother"???

Some People on here are just never going to be satisfied......
I consider myself more on the cynical side of things and I am blown away by some of these replies by 'fans'. Look you can feel whatever you want its completely cool - but - some people here need to find new teams to follow. Plenty of big market spend to the cap squads to latch on to out there.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:24 PM
  #39
Preddownsouth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
No, to you.

Both Weber and Suter have been puliclicy critical of Poile's complacently, so don't come in here with your smugness routine shaking heads. And it's likely a big reason both were willing to go elsewhere.

Having Guastad as an example of improving our team is exactly why our team is where it is.

Here's just a short list of Poile's achievements the last 3-4 years

- Our top 2 players wanted out in part to Poile's complacency
- Our best offensive player played Poile for a fool, twice
- Poile has burned assets at the deadline for rentals that didn't work out
- Poile has made no good trade since Steve Sullivan
- No trades or signings attempted to address glaring weaknesses (scoring)
- Best offensive signing: Linus Klassen
- Letting Hamhuis go for nothing when we knew we had to chance to retain him
- Letting Suter play him for a fool, when he should have traded him if he wasn't going to sign an extension
- Trading a 1st for Guastad
- Signing Guastad for $12 million dollars
- Giving Mike Fisher a raise and extension after he he played horribly for the whole 2nd half of the season
- Taking our best player to court to prove he wasn't worth the money
- Subsequently saying he didn't have time to work on other contracts (i.e. Suter extension) because he was spent all the time on taking our best player to court

But I do like the Erat trade. Been clamoring for this type of trade for years. But it was Erat-induced.
SO much wrong - no worth it to argue.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:32 PM
  #40
Juneemoon
Registered User
 
Juneemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,271
vCash: 500
Maybe the tight-assed way the team treated Radulov and Kostitsyn last spring made them wonder if the Predators really have a win-at-all costs attitude.....

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:34 PM
  #41
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Marty shares some thoughts about wanting out at the beginning of this presser:

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/podcast...id=DL|WSH|home

Summary was that he spoke to Poile 2 weeks ago about the direction of the franchise and after talking he requested the trade. He said he wants the opportunity to win a cup. He didn't want to stick around to wait a few years to have another chance at the cup. He said Suter and Weber played a little bit in his decision.

So now we know why he wanted out.


Last edited by Jarnberg: 04-03-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:35 PM
  #42
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
No, to you.

Both Weber and Suter have been puliclicy critical of Poile's complacently, so don't come in here with your smugness routine shaking heads. And it's likely a big reason both were willing to go elsewhere.

Having Guastad as an example of improving our team is exactly why our team is where it is.

Here's just a short list of Poile's achievements the last 3-4 years

- Our top 2 players wanted out in part to Poile's complacency
- Our best offensive player played Poile for a fool, twice
- Poile has burned assets at the deadline for rentals that didn't work out
- Poile has made no good trade since Steve Sullivan
- No trades or signings attempted to address glaring weaknesses (scoring)
- Best offensive signing: Linus Klassen
- Letting Hamhuis go for nothing when we knew we had to chance to retain him
- Letting Suter play him for a fool, when he should have traded him if he wasn't going to sign an extension
- Trading a 1st for Guastad
- Signing Guastad for $12 million dollars
- Giving Mike Fisher a raise and extension after he he played horribly for the whole 2nd half of the season
- Taking our best player to court to prove he wasn't worth the money
- Subsequently saying he didn't have time to work on other contracts (i.e. Suter extension) because he was spent all the time on taking our best player to court

But I do like the Erat trade. Been clamoring for this type of trade for years. But it was Erat-induced.
What color is the sky on your planet?

The arbitration you complain about was the result of Weber wanting only a one, not multi year as offered, deal. I still think Weber was considering chasing offer sheets two summers ago if the arbitration filing didn't eliminate that option ... he wanted the huge, front-loaded money which goes a long way to explaining why he didn't accept the Preds' tender before the offer sheet.
The Fisher contract is market value ... if not on the low end of market price.
Trading Suter last season would have been counterproductive ... but to hell with the team if it pleases you, right?
Gaustad was an expensive trade at the deadline ... absolutely shocking.
The rants about scoring are accurate in some years, not in others. It's not like the team was 8th in g/g last season or anything.

Even when Poile does what you claim you want ... you complain about it ... then make up outrageous claims like "Best offensive signing: Linus Klassen".

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:41 PM
  #43
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
What color is the sky on your planet?

The arbitration you complain about was the result of Weber wanting only a one, not multi year as offered, deal. I still think Weber was considering chasing offer sheets two summers ago if the arbitration filing didn't eliminate that option ... he wanted the huge, front-loaded money which goes a long way to explaining why he didn't accept the Preds' tender before the offer sheet.
The Fisher contract is market value ... if not on the low end of market price.
Trading Suter last season would have been counterproductive ... but to hell with the team if it pleases you, right?
Gaustad was an expensive trade at the deadline ... absolutely shocking.
The rants about scoring are accurate in some years, not in others. It's not like the team was 8th in g/g last season or anything.

Even when Poile does what you claim you want ... you complain about it ... then make up outrageous claims like "Best offensive signing: Linus Klassen".
If you think Poile has done a good job the last 3-4 yrs in terms of managing our team, we aren't going to agree-- so you can decide what color the sky is. I can come up a few good things (Rinne extension) but there we are way worse off than we were 3-4 years ago.

But I do like the Erat-induced trade. Credit to Poile for getting a good return.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:44 PM
  #44
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Marty shares some thoughts about wanting out at the beginning of this presser:

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/podcast...id=DL|WSH|home

Summary was that he spoke to Poile 2 weeks ago about the direction of the franchise and after talking he requested the trade. He said he wants the opportunity to win a cup. He didn't want to stick around to wait a few years to have another chance at the cup. He said Suter and Weber played a little bit in his decision.
Bingo Bingo Bingo.

He didn't like the direction of the team. And he wanted to play with talented guys.

Just like Suter and Weber. The sky is blue.

However, it is a good thing. We have to rebuild to an extent and hopefully Forseberg is a good piece for that.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:44 PM
  #45
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
In addition to the audio above, Josh Cooper:

Quote:
Erat said he asked Poile “what the long-term plan was for Nashville and where the organization was going to go, and in the last two weeks I came to this … and I gave David 10 teams, and approached him with if I could be traded. They’re going to go with a younger team and see how it goes from there. But for me, I’m getting older, and it’s not going to be like ... I don't have seven to eight years to wait for another chance.”
Quote:
When asked if his decision to request a trade had anything to do with last summer, when free agent defenseman Ryan Suter left the Predators to sign with Minnesota, and captain Shea Weber signed a monster offer sheet from Philadelphia, Erat said: “It had a little bit to do with that.”
Full article: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ors-trade-Erat

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:57 PM
  #46
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,944
vCash: 500
So the direction of the team is to get younger, which we knew, and Erat felt the long term plans of the franchise do not mesh with how he wants to finish this contract and, maybe, his last contract. Sounds like Arnott to me, only a much better return.

Also when asked about Suter and Weber he said that had a little to do with it. I'm not sure what the offer sheet has to do with it, but I can see Suter leaving being part of it. I mean, it isn't like losing Suter was a good thing for the short term (or long term for that matter).

I don't know. Seems reasonable to me. It doesn't seem like the front office is pissing off players.

__________________
She runs through my veins like a long, black river, and rattles my cage like a thunderstorm.
TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:58 PM
  #47
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Weber wanted $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and wanted it up front. The difference in the offer from the Preds and the one from the Flyers differed in structure, not significantly in total amount.

Erat just made a claim that he wants to play for the Cup while accepting a trade to a team performing similarly, if not worse, than the Preds even with all of their individual talent ... a team with 5 one and dones, and 5 missed playoffs in the last 13 seasons.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:01 PM
  #48
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I don't know. Seems reasonable to me. It doesn't seem like the front office is pissing off players.
They aren't pissing off players, they just aren't doing enough.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:04 PM
  #49
Preddownsouth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
So the direction of the team is to get younger, which we knew, and Erat felt the long term plans of the franchise do not mesh with how he wants to finish this contract and, maybe, his last contract. Sounds like Arnott to me, only a much better return.

Also when asked about Suter and Weber he said that had a little to do with it. I'm not sure what the offer sheet has to do with it, but I can see Suter leaving being part of it. I mean, it isn't like losing Suter was a good thing for the short term (or long term for that matter).

I don't know. Seems reasonable to me. It doesn't seem like the front office is pissing off players.
Yeah I can see the Suter thing but Weber's deal should have no part of it. Preds matched and he's a Pred as long as the team wants him to be a Pred. And if he wants out, Polie will be able to get a hell of a lot more for him than a Forsberg.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:07 PM
  #50
Preddownsouth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
They aren't pissing off players, they just aren't doing enough.
I am really interested in Poile does this offseason. He does need to get some pieces. I will be disappointed if they don't.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.