The team post-deadline and how you feel about it

Old
04-03-2013, 05:13 PM
BostonBruins92
Closer to the Sun

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

I like the idea of forward "pairs" with plug and play.

Krejci - Jagr
Lucic - Seguin
Marchand - Bergy
Campbell - Thornton

Leaving Peverley, Horton, Kelly, Daugavins, (Soderberg), Paille to battle for four positions.

No more Caron. No more Pandalfo.
0% chance that Paille, Peverley, or Horton are not in the lineup come playoff time barring injury.

BostonBruins92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:13 PM
BruinsPortugal

I wanted one of Vanek, Gaborik, Jagr: A difference maker.
I was hoping for Gaborik, we got Jagr. I'm happy.

Dont know if we will win the cup, no one does but i like our chances..if Bergeron is ok.

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:24 PM
C77

I don't really know what to think about these guys.

When they show up to play 1 through 20 it can be a special team. Otherwise they're not that impressive.

I didn't expect a Top 4 defenseman coming in at the deadline given what it would cost....and I'm glad that they didn't get Bouwmeester.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Felt great until the Bergy injury....
Yeah..Bergy being out hurts in so many ways.

As far as Peter C...All things considered (like there really wasn't much out there for him to get) I am happy.

04-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Always tough to grade a GM on a trade deadline but.. I think PC should have continue to try to pry away a top 6 forward; especially after knowing that Bergeron would be out "indefinitely". I'm not confident, at all, about the consistency the KHL line. To have Peverly centering Seguin and Marchand will produce mitigated results. Then, we have the 3rd line... Kelly will be back soon but i don't think we can expect a whole lot from this line. The 4th line will be the 4th line so... Loss of Bergeron is a HUGE blow. The net result: we have 1 scoring line and a prayer regarding the 2nd one. The 3rd line will remain highly ineffective while our 4th line will provide energy but not scoring ( which is fine since it's not their role ).

Our blueline look suspects as hell. We turned the puck over and over in the past few weeks and i doubt very much that the addition of Redden will change a whole lot to that. It's the same defense who will have trouble with speed and who will go to the penalty box for hooking. The net result: A blueline who will rely a TON on Rask/AK to bailed them out.

In the end, the team is still pretty the same as she was before the deadline which mean: not a serious contender for the Cup. Too many holes, too many floaters and not enough solutions. If anything, the bulk of the work, for Chiarelli, will be done in the off-season.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:39 PM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Always tough to grade a GM on a trade deadline but.. I think PC should have continue to try to pry away a top 6 forward; especially after knowing that Bergeron would be out "indefinitely". I'm not confident, at all, about the consistency the KHL line. To have Peverly centering Seguin and Marchand will produce mitigated results. Then, we have the 3rd line... Kelly will be back soon but i don't think we can expect a whole lot from this line. The 4th line will be the 4th line so... Loss of Bergeron is a HUGE blow. The net result: we have 1 scoring line and a prayer regarding the 2nd one. The 3rd line will remain highly ineffective while our 4th line will provide energy but not scoring ( which is fine since it's not their role ).

Our blueline look suspects as hell. We turned the puck over and over in the past few weeks and i doubt very much that the addition of Redden will change a whole lot to that. It's the same defense who will have trouble with speed and who will go to the penalty box for hooking. The net result: A blueline who will rely a TON on Rask/AK to bailed them out.

In the end, the team is still pretty the same as she was before the deadline which mean: not a serious contender for the Cup. Too many holes, too many floaters and not enough solutions. If anything, the bulk of the work, for Chiarelli, will be done in the off-season.
Actually- roster-wise it's a better D than the one that won the Cup. They had a crap month. It was a month of 1000 games with no relief.

I have zero concern for the D other than injuries. Big concerns are still the Power Play and if Rask can hold up for a full playoff run. If the PP can come to life, and Rask holds up his end, this team can compete for the Cup (and is actually better than the team that won).

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:49 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBruin View Post
Actually- roster-wise it's a better D than the one that won the Cup. They had a crap month. It was a month of 1000 games with no relief.

I have zero concern for the D other than injuries. Big concerns are still the Power Play and if Rask can hold up for a full playoff run. If the PP can come to life, and Rask holds up his end, this team can compete for the Cup (and is actually better than the team that won).
The pp alone is reason enough to get optimistic about Jagr.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
The pp alone is reason enough to get optimistic about Jagr.
They will have to score a lot on the PP since their shutdown centerman is out...

Old
04-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Quote:
They will have to score a lot on the PP since their shutdown centerman is out...
That's the only way Jagr will be able to score since his center will be Daugavins and then Kelly.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
That's the only way Jagr will be able to score since his center will be Daugavins and then Kelly.
Well, if we have to rely on the PP to stay competitive, i'm not optmistic. Jagr will help but i doubt that our PP players will take a TON of good decisions when they are taking the wrong one since the beginning of the season.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:10 PM
chuckdobbins

Chiarelli did very well with what he had to work with IMO. I love that he didn't trade away any roster guys and that he still has picks to move if he so chooses in the summer.

Sucks that Bergeron went down with another dome injury, but I think there's enough talent on this team to win some games over the next few weeks without him, and it will be a huge boost when he returns.

chuckdobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:10 PM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Well, if we have to rely on the PP to stay competitive, i'm not optmistic. Jagr will help but i doubt that our PP players will take a TON of good decisions when they are taking the wrong one since the beginning of the season.
I agree without Bergy it's all in vain. Hopefully they are just being cautious with him and he will be back in a few weeks.

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:

What about this team led you to believe that we weren't serious contenders? Would that have changed had Iginla agreed to come here?

What did we need?

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Trap Jesus

The Bergeron injury completely threw everything off for me and I can't get excited about the direction of the team at the moment. That being said, I loved the deadline deals. I don't know how well Jagr will fit here, but the value for him was exceptional and he's more than worth the risk. If he plays well, out puck possession game would be unmatched in the NHL (once everyone is healthy and going). Ridiculous faceoff prowess and amazing boards work and cycling ability. And with a fully healthy lineup, our forward depth should be unmatched.

I don't know what Jagr can do for this PP, but I'm going in with the mindset that ANY sort of improvement would be a win for us. This thing has been broken for so long that I'd have questions about Crosby being able to come in and help take it out of the gutter.

As for Redden, I'm not expecting much but I feel really good about the depth we have on D for the first time in a while. When fully healthy we have 8 guys that we should feel comfortable in throwing out there (Z, Seids, Boychuk, Dougie, Ference, McQuaid, Johnson, Redden), and Bartkowski has looked pretty good lately as well, god forbid 3 regulars go down and he needs to step in.

Still though, that Bergeron injury puts a massive damper over what was a great deadline for Chiarelli.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

He did well considering Burke is no longer a GM.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JMiller

Quote:
Chia would be a fool to make big deals to replace Bergeron. Their pp and consistent offense were the teams biggest issues. Jagr addresses those. Dog man and redden give em a little more depth for a long run.

I understand the concern about Bergeron but the doom and gloom about the roster is misplaced.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
The Bergeron injury completely threw everything off for me and I can't get excited about the direction of the team at the moment. That being said, I loved the deadline deals. I don't know how well Jagr will fit here, but the value for him was exceptional and he's more than worth the risk. If he plays well, out puck possession game would be unmatched in the NHL (once everyone is healthy and going). Ridiculous faceoff prowess and amazing boards work and cycling ability. And with a fully healthy lineup, our forward depth should be unmatched.

As for Redden, I'm not expecting much but I feel really good about the depth we have on D for the first time in a while. When fully healthy we have 8 guys that we should feel comfortable in throwing out there (Z, Seids, Boychuk, Dougie, Ference, McQuaid, Johnson, Redden), and Bartkowski has looked pretty good lately as well, god forbid 3 regulars go down and he needs to step in.

Still though, that Bergeron injury puts a massive damper over what was a great deadline for Chiarelli.
Well said.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:25 PM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

Right now... So so.

When Bergy, Kelly, and McQuaid come back... Fantastic.

KCBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Chiarelli did very well with what he had to work with IMO. I love that he didn't trade away any roster guys and that he still has picks to move if he so chooses in the summer.
What (in your opinion) was more important?

Limiting the impact of the additions, or keeping the assets divvied to a minimum?

Was this the balance we needed?

After the deadline in '11, I felt as though Chiarelli had done the moves that were necessary to bring a Cup to Boston. That we had the league's best roster heading into the post-season. I think we had an opportunity to add those pieces again and do the same THIS year. People were upset about prices paid (we STILL hear about Kaberle and Wheeler and Stuart), but would it have been worth it to bring in a real difference-maker?

Or do you (like Latrappe) feel as though this isn't the year anyway?

I still don't know. For me, Jagr is an entity that I can't accurately assess the value of.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:26 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Chiarelli did a very good job imo- kept his top 10 prospects, and if they go poof he has his first still

I like Jagr because he not only cures their singular below league average area
but as we saw last night he will be adrenaline for this team- I expect 'the high' of having him around will be with Krejci the rest of the year and keep Lucic going as well. Since the trade deadline talk (Felger got this one right) Horton has been very engaged and focused.

Redden we shall see- maybe being around Chara will help; he certainly was a very impactful player at one time.

The Iginla thing would have been a homerun A+ but Jagr is a solid B+/A- extra points for not giving up close to the first offer

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:28 PM
bb_fan

Jagr. I will expect him to have an impact and push the guys in front of him... or whom ever he displaces... (Horton off of the first line?)

Redden... depth.

I am quite happy with the moves (although I wish the second was firm... but if Dallas earns our first no complaints here)

I think the bigger concern I have is the remaining players.

I am hard pressed to find a game were in they came out as a team and played a full 60 minutes.

And to be honest Rasks aggressive out of the crease play makers me nervous.

Playoff time is a different animal all together.... but they hard a hard time pulling it together last year in the first round too.

Which shows up (or doesn't?) Is the question I have.

bb_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:28 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
[QUOTE=Mr. Make-Believe;63210773]What (in your opinion) was more important?

Limiting the impact of the additions, or keeping the assets divvied to a minimum?

Was this the balance we needed?

After the deadline in '11, I felt as though Chiarelli had done the moves that were necessary to bring a Cup to Boston. That we had the league's best roster heading into the post-season. I think we had an opportunity to add those pieces again and do the same THIS year. People were upset about prices paid (we STILL hear about Kaberle and Wheeler and Stuart), but would it have been worth it to bring in a real difference-maker?

Or do you (like Latrappe) feel as though this isn't the year anyway?

I still don't know. For me, Jagr is an entity that I can't accurately assess the value of.[/QUOTE]

this cant be quantified but the way they played last night I believe had something to do with this trade

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:32 PM
pgm16

We got better offensively, if our PP becomes just average due to Jagr, we should be in good shape. BUT Patrice wins so many face-offs at crucial times in the games, so that is such a huge hole to fill, plus we all know what else he brings & means to this team.

We are known as a stingy team, well we are gonna have to get more stingy. Maybe the troops will rally again like they did when Horton got concussed against Vancouver.

I feel sooo awful for Patrice, sure hope he bounces back & is healthy for him & his family.

pgm16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Oates2Neely

Bergeron will return sooner than expected. Up and walking outside is a very good sign.

Jagr will be just fine. And will loosen up the troops. PP will improve w #68, and I've got a hunch he will help elevate Krejci's game to a level we've yet to witness.

Redden is a wild card. He could come in and feel comfy with old Ottawa pals Chara and Kelly. That in itself could do wonders for a guy who seems to be suffering from confidence issues.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:36 PM
pgm16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Bergeron will return sooner than expected. Up and walking outside is a very good sign.

Jagr will be just fine. And will loosen up the troops. PP will improve w #68, and I've got a hunch he will help elevate Krejci's game to a level we've yet to witness.

Redden is a wild card. He could come in and feel comfy with old Ottawa pals Chara and Kelly. That in itself could do wonders for a guy who seems to be suffering from confidence issues.
Very good point about Redden, Sheldon Souray got a new lease on his NHL life & is doing ok....

pgm16 is offline   Reply With Quote