HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1993 NHL Entry Draft, why did the Sharks draft so late?

Old
04-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Paper

vCash: 500
1993 NHL Entry Draft, why did the Sharks draft so late?

Both the Senators and Sharks finished with 24 points. I assume because the Sharks had more wins they 'won' the tiebreaker giving the Senators first overall, correct?

But why did the Sharks not draft 2nd overall that year? Had they just traded their pick away, and if so and anyone know the exact trade?

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:17 AM
Stephen

They traded the pick to Hartford:

1993-Jun-26 Draft pick rights traded from San Jose Sharks to Hartford Whalers for future considerations, round 1 pick in the 1993 draft (Viktor Kozlov), round 2 pick in the 1993 draft (Vlastimil Kroupa) and round 3 pick in the 1993 draft (Ville Peltonen).

Burke wanted his franchise defenseman in Chris Pronger, so he moved up to the second overall pick, while San Jose traded down to get big bodied Viktor Kozlov, who was projected as an Evgeni Malkin type prospect at the time: the guy was a 6'4" center who was drawing comparisons to Mario Lemieux.

http://hockeyadventure.com/2007/08/1...ns-in-florida/

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:24 AM
Paper

Thanks.

Odd that I've always known that the Senators first overall bust Daigle was taken over players like Pronger and Kariya but never really crossed my mind that the Sharks could have grabbed Pronger themselves as well.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Thanks.

Odd that I've always known that the Senators first overall bust Daigle was taken over players like Pronger and Kariya but never really crossed my mind that the Sharks could have grabbed Pronger themselves as well.
Well, it sounded like Kozlov was the consensus number two for a big part of the season and then kind of fell in the standings like Mikhail Grigorenko at the draft itself.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:03 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
They traded the pick to Hartford:

1993-Jun-26 Draft pick rights traded from San Jose Sharks to Hartford Whalers for future considerations, round 1 pick in the 1993 draft (Viktor Kozlov), round 2 pick in the 1993 draft (Vlastimil Kroupa) and round 3 pick in the 1993 draft (Ville Peltonen).

Burke wanted his franchise defenseman in Chris Pronger, so he moved up to the second overall pick, while San Jose traded down to get big bodied Viktor Kozlov, who was projected as an Evgeni Malkin type prospect at the time: the guy was a 6'4" center who was drawing comparisons to Mario Lemieux.

http://hockeyadventure.com/2007/08/1...ns-in-florida/
ah, the era of the tall center prospect... kozlov, jason bonsignore, vinnie lecavalier, all guys with no business being compared to mario. i swear i even heard/read mario comparisons with chad kilger.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
ah, the era of the tall center prospect... kozlov, jason bonsignore, vinnie lecavalier, all guys with no business being compared to mario. i swear i even heard/read mario comparisons with chad kilger.
Now that we look back on things, the 1990s had some really poor drafting near the top. Blame Eric Lindros. Everyone wanted another one of him. I remember Lecavalier getting promoted as if he was the next best thing. The Leafs were near the basement and I remember an article stating "What would Mario Lemieux look like in a Leaf uniform". I thought it was a little crazy at the time. Mario was still fresh in everyone's memory at that time and for a player to be half as good as him would be a compliment.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:47 AM
Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Well, it sounded like Kozlov was the consensus number two for a big part of the season and then kind of fell in the standings like Mikhail Grigorenko at the draft itself.
While Daigle was the consensus number 1. So I'm not really saying anyone drafted wrong per se. With hindsight it's obvious, but just when we talk about draft busts and draft mistakes Daigle gets in there for not only Daigle himself but some of the players like Pronger they could have had. Just don't see too many people bringing up that the Sharks could have had Pronger as well.