HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Johan Larsson

Old
04-03-2013, 06:31 PM
DixonWard15

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
I thought I'd offer some information about Johan Larsson. Since I'm not only a Sabres fan, but also a Brynäs fan, I've watched Larsson closely in Sweden. I can say that it's a wierd and luxurious feeling that a favourite player in my Swedish team joins my favourite NHL-team.

My opinion on Larsson is that he's a solid two-way center who plays a very mature game considering his age. He was a huge part of Brynäs winning the Swedish championship last year. Strong on the puck and in front of the net. Not that I know how that translates to NHL where the hockey is more intense, but I'll say this: Silfverberg (Ottawa) and Järnkrok (Detroit) were the dynamic duo of that team. While I love both of them, I'd say Larsson may have the tools to handle NHL hockey better than Järnkrok (although Järnkrok could be a perfect fit for Detroit and their system).

Really excited about Larsson becoming a blue and gold!
very cool thread, what a small world.

I am excited about this kid, it seems we are finally collecting guys who have potential to play center

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
How's his skating?
Seems it is his weak point, other than being of average size.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:46 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I'd love for someone to give a good breakdown of his season to date in Houston. Can we find an Aeros guru?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:53 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
He is known for his defensive game and intangibles
from this article .....

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2011...-johan-larsson

Chris Drury 2.0

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:01 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I'd love for someone to give a good breakdown of his season to date in Houston. Can we find an Aeros guru?
Must've been going pretty well. The Wild had called him up and were planning on having him in the line-up tonight.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
from this article .....

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2011...-johan-larsson

Chris Drury 2.0

Posted that over in the trade thread when people started wondering what the return was.

Smart, 200' player? Please and thank you.

tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Us wild fans have been calling him Mikko Koivu lite/version 2. From watching him he plays a similar game and captained the WJC winning Sweden team, so there's definitely some leadership ability there.
I think at worst he'll be a solid 3C, but realistically I see him becoming a great two-way 2C, playing all situations.
Good luck, I hope he does well for you guys, same with Hackett.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Must've been going pretty well. The Wild had called him up and were planning on having him in the line-up tonight.
I'm curious to hear what the fans have to say about him beyond the measurable quantifiable statistics - how was his D-zone positioning? Was he good on draws, if he took many at all? (you can quantify that, though ) Was he okay playing with a variety of different molds of players, or is his style conducive to a certain type of linemate?

How is he on the forecheck? How are his hands? How is he regarding play along the walls, in the corners? Can he play special teams?

etcetera...

very curious

Old
04-03-2013, 07:11 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Not seeing a whole lot on you tube in the form of highlights etc .... Someone who has seen him play more than a handful of times ... What current NHLer would you compare him to? Similar speed, hands, size, aggressiveness etc....

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Jbcraig1883

Hey guys!

Wild fan here who has seen most Aeros games this year. Also watched him closely in WJC last year when he captained Sweden to the gold. He was who I wanted the Wild to select in the 2nd round due to his all around game.

He improved the most out of all our prospects in Houston, imo. Originally, he started as the third line center and was more in a checking role. He is very good in the faceoff circle, understands the center position defensively, can PK, and competes hard for pucks. Over the past month, especially when he was put into a top 6 role and 1st PP, he was arguable the best forward most nights. Maybe not offensively but getting good chances every night while also playing well defensively. He is not the fastest skater but is definitely no slouch. He has a sneaky shot, decent hands, and can make some nice plays.

He has a strong core and understands the cycle game but still is learning how to protect the puck. He does not have elite offensive abilities but seasoning in the AHL will allow him to grow that side of his game.

In short, he's for sure a 3rd line center with a strong chance of being a 2nd line center who will play PK and take on leadership role. All depends on how his offensive game comes along.

Aeros coach Torchetti loved him because he absolutely hates losing any puck battles.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:18 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
Hey guys!

Wild fan here who has seen most Aeros games this year. Also watched him closely in WJC last year when he captained Sweden to the gold. He was who I wanted the Wild to select in the 2nd round due to his all around game.

He improved the most out of all our prospects in Houston, imo. Originally, he started as the third line center and was more in a checking role. He is very good in the faceoff circle, understands the center position defensively, can PK, and competes hard for pucks. Over the past month, especially when he was put into a top 6 role and 1st PP, he was arguable the best forward most nights. Maybe not offensively but getting good chances every night while also playing well defensively. He is not the fastest skater but is definitely no slouch. He has a sneaky shot, decent hands, and can make some nice plays.

He has a strong core and understands the cycle game but still is learning how to protect the puck. He does not have elite offensive abilities but seasoning in the AHL will allow him to grow that side of his game.

In short, he's for sure a 3rd line center with a strong chance of being a 2nd line center who will play PK and take on leadership role. All depends on how his offensive game comes along.

Aeros coach Torchetti loved him because he absolutely hates losing any puck battles.
Ahhhhhhhh

<3<3<3<3

Old
04-03-2013, 07:20 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Posted that over in the trade thread when people started wondering what the return was.

Smart, 200' player? Please and thank you.
lol, great minds ....

worst case Micheal Peca !?!

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:25 PM
gallagt01

Somewhere between O'Reilly and Hecht?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Kc232
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
Sold.

Kc232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
For those who missed videos I posted in the other thread. Also, I had him on the 3rd line C with the Wild.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:30 PM
mgeise

I wish they'd give him a shot to be the third line center right away. It'll probably be best to keep him away from this team down the stretch, though...

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:37 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
You guys are going to LOVE his kid! He's going to be an absolute stud! He was one of my favorite prospects the Wild had. This kid has future Captain written all over him. Total class act. His playing style IMO, he is going to be a Mikko Koivu-lite. Good at both ends and always hard working no matter if the puck is on his stick or not.

No glaring drop your jaw offensive skills, but completely solid all around game just like Koivu.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Just watched the archive of Larsson's NHL debut versus Detroit earlier this year .. saw 19 shifts, 14:02 TOI, even rating .. wore #47, skating the LW with Brodziak and Clutterbuck .. being his debut, FS-N noted that Jim Mill, assistant to the GM, described him as "hard on the puck", a two-way player that will make you earn every inch of ice .. looked solid positionally, competed hard, not afraid of contact .. had one lengthy first period shift as a result of two icings, but his blocked shot got them a change; this was one of two or three hemmed-in shifts .. nearly got his first point in the second as his d-zone clearance fell kindly and sprung Clutterbuck, but the breakaway was gloved by Mrazek .. Larsson's 2 SOG were perimeter shots at the end of a third period shift; one from a n-zone dump, the other from its rebound .. about a third of his starts were in the o-zone; shift finishes: 3 o-zone, 3 n-zone, 6 d-zone .. was typically against Filppula's line .. overall, as advertised in this outing.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:44 PM
drew5580

so how long till we can realistically expect to see him in a sabres jersey? make it out of camp? first call up?

drew5580 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Seems it is his weak point, other than being of average size.
Yeah, about that: I was surprised to see he is "only" 5'10. I remember him being more like 6'2 or something. He plays like a big guy and uses his body, and the 200 Ibs may have something to do with me remember him being bigger.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5580 View Post
so how long till we can realistically expect to see him in a sabres jersey? make it out of camp? first call up?
He will have been in the AHL for a full year after this one, so I don't think it's unreasonable to think here's here out of the gate next year. There's certainly space for rookies!

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Wisent42

The opening goal of semi-fineal 3 last year in SEL, by Johan Larsson.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Jim Carr's Rug

I hate to say it, but his feet do look kinda heavy in the few clips available online.

Jim Carr's Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:18 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Carr's Rug View Post
I hate to say it, but his feet do look kinda heavy in the few clips available online.
He's not fast, he's not slow. We'll just have to accept it. But perhaps once skating coaches get their hands on him, he'll improve

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:20 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Carr's Rug View Post
Have him train with CoHo and Gary Roberts (Hell, get the entire team to do whatever they're doing, it's clearly helped hodgson)
Everything else I've read...love this kid. Mikko Koivu/Chris Drury 2.0, potentially? Yes, please. (Yeah, I know he could be a long way off from being a regular)
But still, dem intangiblez <3

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote