HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[OTT/TB] Ben Bishop traded to Tampa Bay for Cory Conacher and 4th round pick

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 07:19 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

vCash: 500
Forgive my ignorance towards the Lightning, but isn't the issue more within the defense? One would think that if Conacher was going to be moved, it would in a package for a defenseman.

Either way, the Sens get another solid young player.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Tiny players that come out of 'nowhere' tend to have lower value. If Conacher was a top 2 round pick, Tampa probably gets more for him.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:28 PM
IranCondraAffair

I like this trade for both teams. I hate when people rush to judgement. In a weird way, both Bishop and Conacher were in similar situations. Both are older prospects (for their respective positions) and neither had established themselves. Yes, Conacher has done well this season but, so again has Bishop. In my opinion, either one could fizzle out, become a solid starter, or become a star. Both were redundant because of organizational strengths and both were needed by their new organizations. It's the definition of a "hockey trade".

Sure, Stevie Y could have had Bishop last season for much less, but he took a chance on a different player instead. If that had worked out, we'd have been singing his praises. Meanwhile he did well to acquire Conacher for free. So "net" asset-wise, it's not a huge loss for Tampa even if Lindback doesn't end up as a starter. I know some TBL fans thought that they were set in goal, but Lindback hasn't shown enough to be considered an undisputed started. Acquiring an undisputed #1 goaltender (instead of Bishop) would have cost FARRRR more than Conacher + 4th. Instead, Tampa has a 1A/1B situation that could work out very well for them. Unless both goalies collapse (which isn't likely to happen) they'll end up with a good starter out of the situation. As well, they dont' waste a year of MSL, Stamkos', or Vinny's years with the team waiting for a future goalie to go through their full development. They didn't give up major assets which will allow them to continue to rebuild their defense as well.

Ottawa also acquired exactly what they needed as well, a gritty LW to play alongside Spezza/Turris who can also fill in at centre. Sure he isn't as established as some of Ottawa's other rumoured targets (Glencross, Cammalleri, etc..) but he's a lot younger and cheaper than those guys as well. Sure, he's small, but he doesn't play like he's small and Ottawa has plenty of big bodies anyway.

Although Conacher is also far less established than other targets, Ottawa also didn't have to make a hole in the roster elsewhere by trading roster players (that they need for the playoffs) or prospects (that they need to continue rebuilding) which they likely would have had to do for a bigger target. The extra money will also allow Ottawa to dabble in Free Agency this summer which they might not have been able to do otherwise.

This could work out well for everyone.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:40 PM
janecky

Anderson .952 in 15 games
Lehner .940 in 9 games
Bishop .922 in 13 games

That's a pattern of goalie performance on a specific team. You don't pay high for goalies when fishing in these pools.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:48 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
So when's the part where Ottawa fans are dissapointed by the return?
"They'll be disappointed by the return" they said, "you'll see" they said...

Old
04-03-2013, 07:50 PM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Originally Posted by janecky View Post
Lehner .940 in 9 games
Bishop .922 in 13 games

That's a pattern of goalie performance on a specific team. You don't pay high for goalies when fishing in these pools.
Is Conacher really any different? Most of his points came with incredible, all-star, line mates. Neither of them are proven. Both teams bought and sold "high" on their respective players. The 4th round draft pick is a minor addition.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Bob Sacamanu

Give this a few years and I think Tampa comes out on top.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Ceremony
I wanted to accept

vCash: 21012
I doubt Bishop keeps up those numbers in Tampa. But then, this season seems to be a wash for them.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Old
Schennanigans

Nicely done Ottawa.

Old
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundin 13 View Post
how much do you think Conacher's stats are inflated due to playing with Stamkos and MSL?
Checked all his goals...they seem to be with quite a few different people. Early with Lecavalier and Purcell, some with St. Louis and Stamkos and a few others with neither of those C/RW pairings. I think that most of the offence he has generated has to do with his ability -- I wouldn't say his stats are inflated.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janecky View Post
Lehner .940 in 9 games
Bishop .922 in 13 games

Shots allowed per game 33.1 rank #30

Ottawa's D

Gonchar 1165 NHL games
Phillips 1061 NHL games
Methot 310 NHL games
Gryba 22 NHL games
Benoit 29 NHL games
Wiercioch 40 NHL games

Half our D are from the AHL.
Two are 35 and 38

Trust me, our D is not making the goalies look good. The goalies make the team good.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Senatus Praetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Shots allowed per game 33.1 rank #30

Ottawa's D

Gonchar 1165 NHL games
Phillips 1061 NHL games
Methot 310 NHL games
Gryba 22 NHL games
Benoit 29 NHL games
Wiercioch 40 NHL games

Half our D are from the AHL.
Two are 35 and 38

Trust me, our D is not making the goalies look good. The goalies make the team good.
This. GAA is more of a team defense stat. Save % is about what a goalie can do when the puck gets to him.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:06 PM
biturbo19

Okay Yzerman. Any other unproven goaltenders you'd like to try out as a hail mary attempt?

Old
04-03-2013, 08:14 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Yzerman obviously thinks he has other Cory Conachers. Surprising though.
Or Jon Cooper doesn't think much of Conacher, given he's coached him a lot.

Stevie could come out of this looking like a genius is Bishop can be a 920 goalie and Conacher was a flash in the pan carried by Tampa's scoring vets and lucky percentages.

Either that or Stevie has gone all in on a Jack 3 hoping the flop brings up something good.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:16 PM
malcolmedge

Ottawa wantedto move Bishop from the beginning. Lehner is a way better goalie, but due to Bishop having to clear waivers they couldn't get Lehner in net till Andy went down. Lehner has seen the better teams (Boston all 3 times now). They get the most return now, because it was sure fire he would file for arbitration and lock them up for trades.

As a fan I like Bishop, but am I glad to see his 5-hole the size of Luongo's ego. Andy and Lehner is where its at.

As for return, I am always weary of unproven NHL rookies. However the exceptions like Burrows and St. Louis give me hope. Ottawa's healthy Top 6 is looking young and potentially dangerous.

Thank you Stevie, hopefully he pans out.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:17 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senatus Praetor View Post
This. GAA is more of a team defense stat. Save % is about what a goalie can do when the puck gets to him.
Sv % is as much about how difficult the shots ares to save. Giving up 3 difficult shots and 30 easy save a game just makes the sv% look great. Giving up 3 difficult shots and 17 easy saves makes the goalie look bad.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Benny FTW
44.jgp

vCash: 50
Tampa fans gotta realize they are not getting a back up.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

TBL got fleeced.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:26 PM
janecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senatus Praetor View Post
It's not that simple. It's really not about defensemen either, it's about team defense. Some coaches are just very good at organizing team defense. Goalies on teams that play solid team defense tend to have a good save %, whereas goalies on teams that play sloppy team defense almost always have a lower save % and are often perceived to be struggling. Quick changes in perception about the abilities of different goalies are almost always down to team systems.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

I think this is a trade that benefits both teams, and could also go wrong for both teams. It's not a bad trade by any means (for either side).

Old
04-03-2013, 08:27 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Tampa Bay fans have to stop thinking they got a backup goalie here.

At the absolute worst, I think they just acquired a 1A goalie. At best, he's a legitimate NHL starting goalie who can have a .915-.920 save percentage.
You mean that they got a very good starter?

More like a 1B starter or 2A (backup who can start in event of injury to the starter) or a very good goalie for a tandem.

Last edited by CanadienShark: 04-03-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old
04-03-2013, 08:28 PM
RA9

IMO Ottawa wins this.

With a solid back up in Lehner (who will only improve) they had no need for bishop. Conacher is solid. and now their friggin stacked at center.

spezza
turris
conacher
zibenajad (sp)

holy ****.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

So Karlsson wins the Norris and Ottawa is a run/gun team.
Ottawa has 3 goalies and now we are a defensive team?

Old
04-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
So Karlsson wins the Norris and Ottawa is a run/gun team.
Ottawa has 3 goalies and now we are a defensive team?
Sounds legit.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:36 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA9 View Post
IMO Ottawa wins this.

With a solid back up in Lehner (who will only improve) they had no need for bishop. Conacher is solid. and now their friggin stacked at center.

spezza
turris
conacher
zibenajad (sp)

holy ****.

Conacher is a winger.

Closed Thread