Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[ANA/PHO] Ducks acquire Matt Lombardi for Brandon McMillan

Old
04-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

vCash: 500
Other than Roy and Brassard, Lombardi was the only center even traded. Simply put, there was no real market out there. Too many teams think they're in it, and most of the teams that aren't and have accepted that are weak at center. To top that, the ones who aren't weak at center either don't want to deal any of their centers and/or have ones that we could never fit under the cap. For a team in need of a second line center, it's not an ideal situation to be in, and it's probably something that won't change any time soon.

If you want a higher end second line center in this league, the best option appears to be to grow your own, especially with the two contracts we gave Perry and Getzlaf. That's why I don't mind adding Lombardi over a guy like Vermette or Stajan, as his deal expires after this year and theirs don't. Next year, one of Holland or Rakell can show they deserve it and develop into the player we need long-term.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulyours View Post
torres coming here would have been great. imagine all the long sunset walks he and palmieri could have had.

and clowe >> torres
17 goals in 104 games? You have to wonder if that's more than a "slump"?? 0 for 28???? I'd normally agree with that assessment, but I don't think this is a good time to be grading Clowe as a player. Cheechoo lite right now if I had to grade him.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Is Lombardi strictly a center or could he play wing as well? Would be awesome to test a SpeedLine™ with Cogliano-Lombardi-Etem.
Pretty sure he's been playing a lot on the left wing, but is a natural center.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
the Murray worshipers are really overboard they are pleased with this deadline
I don't think anyone is pleased, but the team got better even if just a ittle bit. McMillan is basically a poor mans verison of Lombardi, and we traded one small player for another.

Still, I think the Ducks lack a top six forward (maybe even two). But I was happy when I saw the trade, because an hour after the deadline nothing had happened. At least the team got a player that has been a top six forward at one point and that potentially (probably unlikely) could bounce back. He's never really had a shot in top six role since coming back from injuries. Either way, I like the fact that if Lombardi is retained, he's not in the way of the kids as he can also play the wing and be put in a more defensive role if nessecary.

If he doesn't pan out, there's a chance he could work out on the 3rd line with Koivu centering the 2nd. I think that most of our smaller forwards have character and are hard workers, but I agree that the team lacks size up front.

Last edited by Elvs: 04-03-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Elvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Daz28

I wouldn't be shocked to see Koivu bumped to the 2nd line. He's been great, and there's absolutely zero concerns about his energy level. It's quite possible BFB is planning this.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

Mac needed the change of scenery. He should - hopefully - turn into a serviceable bottom-6er in the NHL somewhere.

Lombardi is a great pickup given the price. Hopefully this ignites him. With his speed I really look forward to what he can bring. Imagine him, Cogs, and Etem on one line flying around.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:22 PM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
17 goals in 104 games? You have to wonder if that's more than a "slump"?? 0 for 28???? I'd normally agree with that assessment, but I don't think this is a good time to be grading Clowe as a player. Cheechoo lite right now if I had to grade him.
don't think anyone is rating him on cheecho like levels.

i like clowe more because of how he plays. he hits, he fights, and can score without being a defensive liability or putting you short handed.

torres is much the same but way dirtier and you have to wonder if he will be in the box or even the line up the next day.

gratefulyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

He`ve been playing with #8 and #15 in previous years. I doubt he`ll get one of thos numbers anytime soon He played with #18 i Calgary and that is now weared by Dvorak.

I wonder which number he`ll wear.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:29 PM
James Franco

Probably 12, its been available since what Green wore in in 2009?

James Franco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Old Man Barking

Excellent deal. Love it.

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see Koivu bumped to the 2nd line. He's been great, and there's absolutely zero concerns about his energy level. It's quite possible BFB is planning this.
I could see Selanne with Winnik and Koivu, and Lombardi with Etem and Cogliano on what would have to be the NHL's fastest line, with some Cogs-Teemu juggling at times. Could mean Palmieri is on the outs, though.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Gibson Les Palms
Jinxes aren't real

vCash: 814
We'll probably have a 2a and 2b line. Holland will be sent down after the game imo.

Still very worried about the size of our forward group. The speed is great, but size seems to be more effective in the playoffs.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
We'll probably have a 2a and 2b line. Holland will be sent down after the game imo.

Still very worried about the size of our forward group. The speed is great, but size seems to be more effective in the playoffs.
Agreed.
But, i don`t think there were too many options for us adding size this deadline.

Koivu, Lombardi, Palmieri, Cogliano are all under 6`0. Teemu and ***** doesn`t do any hitting at all. Holland isn`t very physical either.

However, i don`t think we`ll look THAT bad. Koivu, Palms and Cogs all seem to battle and throw a hit here and there (ok, not the strongest one). Our top line can throw some hits and most of our defense too.

I don`t think it`s enough for SCF, but this group should get some wins into PO anyway.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Gibson Les Palms
Jinxes aren't real

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Agreed.
But, i don`t think there were too many options for us adding size this deadline.

Koivu, Lombardi, Palmieri, Cogliano are all under 6`0. Teemu and ***** doesn`t do any hitting at all. Holland isn`t very physical either.

However, i don`t think we`ll look THAT bad. Koivu, Palms and Cogs all seem to battle and throw a hit here and there (ok, not the strongest one). Our top line can throw some hits and most of our defense too.

I don`t think it`s enough for SCF, but this group should get some wins into PO anyway.
You make a good point. I wouldn't say our forward group is soft, just undersized. Teemu and sometimes Holland/Ryan are the only two who avoid physical contact.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Is it because of the bust named MacMillan?
I think so. I can't see any other reason why. Although people misspelling Lupol really annoys me as well.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I don't think there is anything Murray realistically could have done to address the size or toughness of our line-up. I don't care if he adds someone who is 6'7" and tough as nails, the team is what it is. One player isn't going to change that, and since it would be stupid to try to add 4 or 5 players to change the entire team dynamic, it's better to go with your strengths.

04-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Unholy
waifu

Don't hate or overly like it. Will have to see how he plays of course. Not sad at all about losing McMillan in any case.

04-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuqTalk View Post
I think too many of our fans are buying into this "overachieving" nonsense that analysts are starting to throw around.

As far as toughness goes.. Winnik, Beleskey, Steckel, Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan (when he's on top of his game). Not to mention Beauchemin, Souray, Sbisa, and Allen defensively. This team is well-balanced. We will prove all of the nay-sayers wrong.
Don't know what you consider tough but Steckel certainly doesn't fit that criteria in my eyes. Winnik is strong and great along the boards but isn't much of a hitter.

Up front we only have Getzlaf, Beleskey & Ryan (when he feels like it) who can really deliver quality hits. Etem too if he can play like he did the other night all the time.

I'm not asking for pure goons like some are but I think a bit of size and grittiness goes along way especially in a 7 game series. Guys like Clutterbuck, Torres (even as dirty as he is), Neil etc are the heart and soul guys that wear down opposing defenses in the playoffs.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
the Murray worshipers are really overboard they are pleased with this deadline
I am pleased with this trade deadline, and I'm glad Murray was smart enough to recognize what the team's strengths are, and didn't try to force a player into the line-up who really doesn't fit.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Backpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I am pleased with this trade deadline, and I'm glad Murray was smart enough to recognize what the team's strengths are, and didn't try to force a player into the line-up who really doesn't fit.

Someone should caption it "I FIT IN" ha

Last edited by Backpack: 04-03-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Backpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

That nose doesnt fit anywhere...

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:25 PM
OCSportsfan

It is an upgrade over what we had, and at almost no risk. Many options

Normal lines and you could swap Koivu and Lombardi

Ryan-Getz-PErry
Cogs(Palmieri)-Lomb-Selanne
Winnick-Koivu-Etem(cogs)
Beleskey-Steckel-Palmieri(Etem)

Against StLouis and Kings you could put in Maroon(if he is called up)/Staubitz for Etem/Lombardi/Palmieri

I actually like these lines with Palmieri and Etem playing against the 4th line matchup.

Beleskey-Getz-Perry
Ryan-Lomb-Selanne
Winnick-Koivu-Cogs
Palmieri-Steckel-Etem

Also, we need more grit to win it all in my opinion, but this is a team that could get hot and be a tough matchup. Hiller gets hot and who knows.

OCSportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:49 PM
NEWFowler
hi

Unfortunate to see Mcmillan let go, but it was for the best. He'll get a shot to be a real good player for Phoenix. Good luck to him!

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Emerald Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post

I think Palmieri should get a few games back in Norfolk to see if he can find his scoring touch again. He's lost his confidence lately and has developed a case of "Lupul-itis ("high and to the right of the net").

Both Holland and/Palmieri could help Norfolk with a push for their playoffs and come back to Anaheim in time for our run.

Emerald Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
rumor is Gabby and Bishops deals were soaring the asking price of players. That's why Philly didn't pull the trigger on Bishop, the price sky rocketed once TB got involved in the bid war. Soo fricken glad we didn't get involved in any of the blockbusters that did happen or MAY have happen phew

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote