HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 07:42 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
My 'transcript' of the broadcast:
  • Met with Mayor Weiers today.
  • Conversation with Bill Daly, today.
  • Mutual understanding of league’s terms, and where to take it from here.
  • Investment not needed from Capstone (?).
  • Due diligence, had been working on it for six months.
  • On any competition concerns, Pastor states doesn’t understand why it takes so long to get it done.
  • States Weiers is ‘refreshing’
  • Ask how long is the lease - (no response), stated NDAs starting to be signed, moving as fast as we can.
  • $170 million, bottom line, thinks its a solid return on investment.
  • As a banker, this is an undervalued asset.
  • Hard to get people to buy tickets because the team has no owner.
  • Any agreements are in tandem with the city and the NHL.
  • Proposed offer – paperwork received from NHL today, hopping on the plane, and then getting direction on what to do next.
  • No one has put any money down.

Be seeing you!

Until he sells the franchise to Seattle city in 3 years for 220 grants.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:58 PM
blues10

Evidently I really under estimated Pastor. He is already to the point of signing a NDA. He is actually looking semi-legit.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:00 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Jr Shabadoo View Post
Probably OT, but what the heck: Coyotes jettisoned 3 roster players today.
Sullivan, Lombardi and Torres.

Cutting payroll?
Less players affected in a potential relocation?
They don't want to make the playoffs?
What gives?
All were UFAs..... all were not contributing up to expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
Phoenix LXXIV: "Be seeing you!"
^^^^^ THIS!!!

Or.... "Welcome to The Village"

Old
04-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
My 'transcript' of the broadcast:
  • Met with Mayor Weiers today.
  • Conversation with Bill Daly, today.
  • Mutual understanding of league’s terms, and where to take it from here.
  • Investment not needed from Capstone (?).
  • Due diligence, had been working on it for six months.
  • On any competition concerns, Pastor states doesn’t understand why it takes so long to get it done.
  • States Weiers is ‘refreshing’
  • Ask how long is the lease - (no response), stated NDAs starting to be signed, moving as fast as we can.
  • $170 million, bottom line, thinks its a solid return on investment.
  • As a banker, this is an undervalued asset.
  • Hard to get people to buy tickets because the team has no owner.
  • Any agreements are in tandem with the city and the NHL.
  • Proposed offer – paperwork received from NHL today, hopping on the plane, and then getting direction on what to do next.
  • No one has put any money down.

Be seeing you!
Okay, remind me not to invest with Capstone. Seriously, how are the Coyotes are an "undervalued asset" at $170 million in Glendale?

Anyway, I'm glad he thinks so. This is exactly the type of potential owner that has been needed for a local sale (assuming he actually has the money). The NHL and COG needed that rare person who saw the asset as being undervalued at the sale price so that they wouldn't need to extract a huge subsidy from the COG to offset some of the purchase cost.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:15 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Pastor interview now available on AZSportsTalk's front page..

http://www.azsportstalk.com/

Old
04-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Says he doesn't understand why it takes so long to get a deal done. He soon will...

Old
04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
mesamonster

Signing an NDA? Does this mean he has not yet looked at the inside numbers? If so, he will be down the road like the rest of the wannabes! The fact that this guy even gets five minutes of press time is a complete joke. Give it a fortnight and he will be exposed as yet another tire kicker w/o the gravitas or cash to make this work LOL!!!

Old
04-03-2013, 08:30 PM
GF

Phoenix LXXIV: Back in the village

This is not only related to the Prisoner, but could mean back in Quebec city, called the village by some people living in the "big" city of Montreal, but it could also mean that the team is back to the village of Glendale. Kinda sums it up, for me at least.

Plus, if someone wants to have a go at some lyrics, there's an Iron Maiden song called exactly that (in reference to the Prisoner of course):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=OuDVXh_a1-Y

Last edited by GF: 04-03-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old
04-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Whileee

I like this guy... "you're going to have 365 days of tractor pulls?" (in the Jobing.com).

On the other hand, 365 days of tractor pulls wouldn't be a bad start.

The interviewer on the other hand...

The guy would ask a potentially important question (like "how long before you have something solid to share with the fans?") and then before Pastor could answer the interviewer was blathering on and not letting Pastor get a word in edgewise. No wonder those types of media guys don't seem to get any good information. They have no idea how to conduct an effective interview.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Okay, remind me not to invest with Capstone. Seriously, how are the Coyotes are an "undervalued asset" at $170 million in Glendale?.. Anyway, I'm glad he thinks so. This is exactly the type of potential owner that has been needed for a local sale (assuming he actually has the money). The NHL and COG needed that rare person who saw the asset as being undervalued at the sale price so that they wouldn't need to extract a huge subsidy from the COG to offset some of the purchase cost.
If that is indeed still the asking price. Dont quite understand how it could remain static for what now, 2 years? It simply has to be more as of right now, today.... so lets say its $200M. In the grand scheme of things, its really all relative once you gets past the sticker shock. It depends on ones perspective as to whether its under or over-valued. If the franchise can be purchased with portability options after 48 months, the Consent Forms capped, your probably looking at expenditures including purchase price & losses over the next 2.5-3yrs or so of at least $270M or thereabouts if you did little to nothing more than what the NHL's done over the past 3 seasons.

However, if you could make headway on the sales & marketing sides of the equation, sponsorship & advertising sales, suite leases, gradual increases in ST sales & general ticket pricing, charge for parking, boost non-hockey revenues with concerts & events etc, receive a fair market value AMF from Glendale, then yes, I could see how someone could say "this is an undervalued asset". Takes some serious hubris, brass. But why not? Its precisely that kind of thinking that built America. As Kenneth Schnitzer, owner & founder of the WHA Houston Aero's & part of owner of the Rockets once said, "We Houstonians dont care who your Grandfather was. This is a city of unlimited opportunity". Well, I would submit to you that so is Phoenix, Glendale & the Coyotes. The only thing holding man back are the limits of his own imagination. If this guy Pastors got the money, the vision, have at er'. Just dont try & do it on the backs of Glendale's taxpayers & accepting of that, still believing the assets under-valued, then he'll succeed, and in 5yrs rather than serving notice the teams leaving, re-negotiating a long term lease. I guess we'll find out & fast just how real this guy is.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:15 PM
EmersonBeatemEtem

They really just need to let this team die already and let the fans say goodbye. They've been strung around for 4 years with this whole charade. I'm typically a supporter of Bettman but he strikes out here. And what the hell does he think he's doing by saying he has no 'plan B' He needs to be addressing this situation and not sweeping it under the rug and finally put this thing to rest.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:19 PM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
If that is indeed still the asking price. Dont quite understand how it could remain static for what now, 2 years? It simply has to be more as of right now, today.... so lets say its $200M. In the grand scheme of things, its really all relative once you gets past the sticker shock. It depends on ones perspective as to whether its under or over-valued. If the franchise can be purchased with portability options after 48 months, the Consent Forms capped, your probably looking at expenditures including purchase price & losses over the next 2.5-3yrs or so of at least $270M or thereabouts if you did little to nothing more than what the NHL's done over the past 3 seasons.

However, if you could make headway on the sales & marketing sides of the equation, sponsorship & advertising sales, suite leases, gradual increases in ST sales & general ticket pricing, charge for parking, boost non-hockey revenues with concerts & events etc, receive a fair market value AMF from Glendale, then yes, I could see how someone could say "this is an undervalued asset". Takes some serious hubris, brass. But why not? Its precisely that kind of thinking that built America. As Kenneth Schnitzer, owner & founder of the WHA Houston Aero's & part of owner of the Rockets once said, "We Houstonians dont care who your Grandfather was. This is a city of unlimited opportunity". Well, I would submit to you that so is Phoenix, Glendale & the Coyotes. The only thing holding man back are the limits of his own imagination. If this guy Pastors got the money, the vision, have at er'. Just dont try & do it on the backs of Glendale's taxpayers & accepting of that, still believing the assets under-valued, then he'll succeed, and in 5yrs rather than serving notice the teams leaving, re-negotiating a long term lease. I guess we'll find out & fast just how real this guy is.
The price is still 170mm. Confirmed just a short time ago. IF this guy is legit, he better move fast. this won't last past the summer. no way. I don't think the playoffs are the deadline or there is a deadline but if next season starts with the the Yotes in Glendale, well call me an ugly woman and punch me in the face.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:22 PM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move the Coyotes View Post
They really just need to let this team die already and let the fans say goodbye. They've been strung around for 4 years with this whole charade. I'm typically a supporter of Bettman but he strikes out here. And what the hell does he think he's doing by saying he has no 'plan B' He needs to be addressing this situation and not sweeping it under the rug and finally put this thing to rest.
Why does he need to let it die? There are still players in the game!

Old
04-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
LXXIV: Put Out to Pastor
I like this one.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ya, y'know, Ive never had much time for Bettman Haters', still dont for those who go over the top with it. Actually appreciated his combative nature, turning the tables on reporters in challenging the very premises of their questions. The interrogated becoming the interrogator. Amused by his obfuscations.... then the wheels started to fall off. I guess for me in 04/05 during the first lockout and thereafter his mishandling of a lot of things, a lot of different files. No longer amused as people were getting messed up, hurt, screwed. This situation in particular. And I dont mean just since 2009 & the BK, I mean since 1996 in Phoenix proper. Technically since February 1st 1993 when he assumed office as his mishandling of this situation has caused me to shine some serious lights on all of his meanderings. Just cant do anything but shake your head.... nice avy btw. Todd Gill.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:12 PM
EmersonBeatemEtem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya, y'know, Ive never had much time for Bettman Haters', still dont for those who go over the top with it. Actually appreciated his combative nature, turning the tables on reporters in challenging the very premises of their questions. The interrogated becoming the interrogator. Amused by his obfuscations.... then the wheels started to fall off. I guess for me in 04/05 during the first lockout and thereafter his mishandling of a lot of things, a lot of different files. No longer amused as people were getting messed up, hurt, screwed. This situation in particular. And I dont mean just since 2009 & the BK, I mean since 1996 in Phoenix proper. Technically since February 1st 1993 when he assumed office as his mishandling of this situation has caused me to shine some serious lights on all of his meanderings. Just cant do anything but shake your head.... nice avy btw. Todd Gill.
Its not that I don't think hockey can work in Phoenix. I think it can work anywhere if promoted and sold properly. Here in South Florida, the Panthers are finally starting to get it right, they have a sweetheart arena deal and are profitable as a loss leader. Despite this awful season for them, I see good things in their future. The problem with Phoenix though is that the well has been poisoned to the point where this thing just does not look like it can be salvaged. My username might seem spiteful but it really just makes the NHL look bush league by having this lingering headache that keeps persisting. It reminds me of the painful situation Expos fans went through over 10 years ago when MLB was dicking them around. I think the fans in Montreal were thankful when it was all said and done and they could say goodbye. The Coyotes fans deserve the same oppurtunity.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:19 PM
aqib

Since we haven't done this in a while I should mention that the Coyotes drew 12,934 against the reigning Stanley Cup champs who are also a division rival while they are in a playoff race.

Since KevyD refuses to repost is prediction list I feel the need to have some consistency around here.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Since we haven't done this in a while I should mention that the Coyotes drew 12,934 against the reigning Stanley Cup champs who are also a division rival while they are in a playoff race.

Since KevyD refuses to repost is prediction list I feel the need to have some consistency around here.
For those that like a summary, attached is a timeline (PDF) to the Coyotes saga, so far...

Be seeing you!

Last edited by Llama19: 04-16-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old
04-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Its not that I don't think hockey can work in Phoenix. I think it can work anywhere if promoted and sold properly. Here in South Florida, the Panthers are finally starting to get it right, they have a sweetheart arena deal and are profitable as a loss leader.... The problem with Phoenix though is that the well has been poisoned to the point where this thing just does not look like it can be salvaged.
While I agree with most of what your saying, impossible not to really, I do part company on the "well is poisoned" bit, as I dont believe anyones ever actually dug any wells in Phoenix since 96. Gluckstern, Burke, Ellman, Moyes, certainly not the NHL, all Dry Miners. Open Pit. Just making a mess. Left some horrific scars in the earth out in the desert but never really even tried to tap the wealth in the Valley. Just moved and slung a lot of dirt, accomplishing nothing short of embarrassing themselves. Excellent facility, glittering palace just sitting there waiting for someone who actually knows what their doing. Someone like your guy Yormark. This can be fixed. Easy peasy really. No doubt in my mind about that.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:31 PM
DJ Omnimaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post

In their defense, though, this time the announced attendance looked closer to reality. I wonder if the recent drop in attendance is due to the Coyotes trying to announce more legit numbers like St-Louis is doing this season or if it's just due to the team losing often lately?

The problem is that a lot of the seats that are empty are the most expensive ones. If the team draws 16K a game but only the $10-70 tickets get sold, that still won't bring much revenue...

Old
04-03-2013, 11:06 PM
RAgIn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Okay, remind me not to invest with Capstone. Seriously, how are the Coyotes are an "undervalued asset" at $170 million in Glendale?

Anyway, I'm glad he thinks so. This is exactly the type of potential owner that has been needed for a local sale (assuming he actually has the money). The NHL and COG needed that rare person who saw the asset as being undervalued at the sale price so that they wouldn't need to extract a huge subsidy from the COG to offset some of the purchase cost.
What's undervalued; the team?

Is it just me or does he seem like a clone of Matthew Hulsizer. After listening to that interview, he also seems a little oblivious to the developments of the last three years.

So according to him, the investment will come from Pastor family interests, and not Capstone. Interesting...

My question is, why bother going public with this? Isn't this the opposite of what the NHL would like to see? Why not get this transaction done quietly?

Old
04-03-2013, 11:17 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
While I find it unfortunate that the NHL could move the team for next season and not announce it before the 17th, I do not expect the league to sell the team for local ownership before the 17th and I do not expect the league to make any announcement before the 17th.

I would not assert that everyone gets enjoyment out of the NHL owning our team and the inability to date to find an owner to own the team here - but I've read many of the posts in these threads, and many many posters do get enjoyment from it, from the ones rooting for Glendale to go bankrupt to the ones rooting for the Goldwater Gang to sue them, to the ones rooting for bad things to happen to out-of-staters like Gary Bettman or the "IE clowns" or Matt Hulsizer...

I think PLENTY of people who posted here over the last few years would not only stage a Roman Holiday over the team relocating... they'd probably get lots to show up for such a RALLY, especially the ones who think a rally has meaning.

Present company excluded, of course.

Or maybe they'll stay, under league ownership or Goosebee or Pasteur or someone else... surely everyone would be okay with that, right?
Your ivory tower has a lot of cracks in it.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
So, here this thing gets upstaged by the Roberto Luongo Saga for a week, and we have people signing NDA's already! This sounds important . . . at least as important as important can be in this sorry tale. I guess I'll have to read the thread to figure out what an NDA is before too long.

Does this mean the Coyotes are staying, going or are still undecided?

Old
04-04-2013, 07:45 AM
GuelphStormer

Have Weiers or Daly confirmed that they met/spoke with Pastor?

Old
04-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
Have Weiers or Daly confirmed that they met/spoke with Pastor?
... cynical much?

Closed Thread