Standings Watch

Old
03-25-2013, 07:00 AM
smithformeragent

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Standings Watch

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?type=con

16 games to go so I figured now would be a good time to panic....uhhh I mean take a look at the standings.

The division is definitely winnable, and there is a lot of room for teams to move around over the final few weeks of the season. The teams on the outside of the playoff structure are running out of games to make hay.

As much as Boston has been struggling as of late, aside from Pittsburgh, nobody else is exactly tearing up the world in the East. Perhaps the nature of the condensed schedule lends itself to mediocrity and congested standings.

03-25-2013, 07:15 AM
TCL40

I also think the short pre season made it difficult for some teams to work out rosters and chemistry. Pretty much had to throw the whole team to the wolves.

I think the other problem is that the shortened season really makes teams think they are still in the hunt-and other than maybe the SE where a small win streak could put you at the top of the division, most teams outside the playoffs will likely stay there (I am willing to bet that the Flyers don't make the playoffs this year even if there is a mathematical way for them to still make it).

East is pretty open this year. Pittsburgh is definitely talented on the offensive front (still think they are suspect defensively and can be exploited in a 7 game series) and I think Montreal and Leafs could also be dark horses this year and could steal a series or two.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:19 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post

16 games to go so I figured now would be a good time to panic....uhhh I mean take a look at the standings.

The division is definitely winnable, and there is a lot of room for teams to move around over the final few weeks of the season. The teams on the outside of the playoff structure are running out of games to make hay.

As much as Boston has been struggling as of late, aside from Pittsburgh, nobody else is exactly tearing up the world in the East. Perhaps the nature of the condensed schedule lends itself to mediocrity and congested standings.
That and I can see the Habs/Leafs and Pens, yes fans, even with a newly acquired Morrow having a 3-4 game skid.

Then there will be teams with the major push going and I`ll wager it`ll be the Sabres, not the Flyers who push hardest, Devils without Kovalchuk heading down the stretch which is huge too.

I`ll be honest, I have never cared with this group of Bruins if they started at home or on the road.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:27 AM
smithformeragent

Ya, I don't think the division should mean much to the B's. I'm not sure the 2/7 match up is any more favorable than the 4/5. The more I think about it I'm not even sure that it's important for them to go into the playoffs playing their best hockey. I trust this team to be able to flip the switch when the playoffs start. Obviously, you want to see the scoring and power play improve.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:44 AM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

vCash: 2038
Quote:

This has been my prevailing thought throughout the season and what I use to prevent from going ******* about the recent play. While I'd love for him to find a different way to say it as the redundancy is mind-splitting, Brick is right about the need to get a point, any kind of point. One need to look no further than the West, for example, where one, two points is very likely going to be the difference between a division title and a 4-8 seed, or a playoff spot versus none for that matter.

So...teams are playing more carefully, and in watching games around the league, teams playing with a lead are virtually playing a bunker defense.

Not only that, but as fans, we've noticed that these games have a playoff feel at times. we all know playoff hockey is as intense as it gets. Now do that over the span of a month, month and a half in the regular season? It takes not just physical but also emotional intensity to gear up for those, and at a certain point, you really just kinda break. That's not even considering the physical toll.

that's what I see. For most of these guys (no doubt there are a couple that I don't excuse, but I won't go into it here; not the purpose of this thread) it's not lack of effort...it's a lack of focus. It's tough to do that night in, night out, when these games are squished together in the regular season and you don't really get a break, even for the most finely tuned athlete. They're not cyborgs.

Son of Marshmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Pie O My

as i see it we're about another 6 W's or so away from clinching a spot, all extra points are gravy.

Now ordinarily i'd say just get and stay healthy but the 2 guys out right now weren't exactly playing up to their potential (to say the least) before they got injured so they can't be counted on. We need help. This group as presently constituted has 2 and out written all over them.

The goalie tandem is solid. They've let in a few softies here and there but on the whole I feel confidant with them. The forwards need peripheral help on the bottom 6, the top 6 will all eventually find their groove and mojo.

We need help on the blueline. Bartkowski just scares me, which means our studs won't be getting any rest. A less than 100% Chara or Seids going into the playoffs scares me.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Ortdogg

im actually ok with the bruins getting forth. i see 2 of the rangers, hurricanes, capitals, sabres in the 7/8 spots. I dont like those matchups for the Bruins this year, where as i really feel Ottaw will hang tough in the 5th spot and are probably the best 1st round matchup aside from toronto for the Bruins this year

Ortdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
I also think the short pre season made it difficult for some teams to work out rosters and chemistry. Pretty much had to throw the whole team to the wolves.

I think the other problem is that the shortened season really makes teams think they are still in the hunt-and other than maybe the SE where a small win streak could put you at the top of the division, most teams outside the playoffs will likely stay there (I am willing to bet that the Flyers don't make the playoffs this year even if there is a mathematical way for them to still make it).

East is pretty open this year. Pittsburgh is definitely talented on the offensive front (still think they are suspect defensively and can be exploited in a 7 game series) and I think Montreal and Leafs could also be dark horses this year and could steal a series or two.

Briere went down with a concussion in a practice and is out indefinitely. Not good news for the Flyers chances.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419081

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Jonathan17
Trollface!

Standings Watch

With the Rags beating down the Pens so far tonight, I have to say the standings have me worried. I can't believe that the loser team of Toronto/Ottawa is likely going to get to play the winner of Caps/Jets. Some team is going to surge up to the #7 spot (Rags?). So if we pass Montreal and don't get past the Pens, we could be in for a very tough go Round 1. I do not like the way that is shaping up. I think the B's really need to get past the Pens AND Habs to get a good 1st-round match-up (defining "good" as something comparable to what the #6 seed is going to get ). So a few weeks to go, are we better going in at #4? Can anyone from the bottom tier catch Sens/Leafs? Do you think we can get past the Pens? Do you think the #2 seed is going to have the worst match-up? These are questions bugging me after the trade deadline.

Jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:45 PM
westernhome

I think the Pens are in the beginnings of a tailspin

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

There is a month left in the season. I'm not worrying about the standings. I've got a hell of a lot more pressing things to worry about.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:10 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

It's the NHL postseason, there are no easy matchups.

I do think the rag dolls are especially tough, and i do hope it works out that they end up against the Penguins, but you can't obsess over it. the Rags could end up anywhere from 5th to out of the playoffs. Obviously Boston looks like it will be 1,2 or 4.

But you never know who is going to be on top of their game when the game matter. everyone is just so close

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

I won't be worrying about the standings for another two or three weeks.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:14 PM
patty59

The Rangers are going to squeak into the 8th spot and crush the pens.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Yeti watch > standings watch

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:16 PM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
The Rangers are going to squeak into the 8th spot and crush the pens.
You mean the Islanders?

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:18 PM
patty59

Quote:
You mean the Islanders?
Even better.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Powerforward17

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
I think the Pens are in the beginnings of a tailspin
Could be. Crosby's injury and all the new players could spoil the chemistry. Although the Rangers did alright tonight with Clowe, Brassard etc.

Powerforward17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

If we win out we get the one seed so its ours to lose.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote