HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derick Brassard

Old
04-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Can you explain his play for us? Does he do this often (i.e. perform GODLIKE) and then revert to the norm? His passing is just unbelievable. Best on our team -- even better than Stepan. He's been pulling some moves like we haven't seen since Nylander was on the team.

I wonder if he just needed a change of scenery? I have no idea.
Someone on the main board posted that this was his first multi point game this season

04-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
Brassard is much more than a 'tolerable 3rd line center'
As many points today as our previous #3 had all year

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
Someone on the main board posted that this was his first multi point game this season
I really wonder if that was because he was trapped in Columbus. I have no idea. But he was amazing.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Viper

He has this type of play in him. This is why many teams have been interested in him for a while.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:20 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

Big fan.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:21 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I can't wait to see this thread a week from tonight.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Can you explain his play for us? Does he do this often (i.e. perform GODLIKE) and then revert to the norm? His passing is just unbelievable. Best on our team -- even better than Stepan. He's been pulling some moves like we haven't seen since Nylander was on the team.

I wonder if he just needed a change of scenery? I have no idea.
Brassard always seemed to have a few monster games after each coaching/GM change, then completely disappear.

He was more noticeable again during Columbus' recent points run, and was playing with a lot more passion, intensity, and if grit. Here is hoping he is able to keep it going for you guys.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Brassard always seemed to have a few monster games after each coaching/GM change, then completely disappear.

He was more noticeable again during Columbus' recent points run, and was playing with a lot more passion, intensity, and if grit. Here is hoping he is able to keep it going for you guys.
I hope. If he can provide that level of passing on the PP it will be all we need from him

Old
04-03-2013, 09:33 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I hope. If he can provide that level of passing on the PP it will be all we need from him
He has been a good PP player for a while. He is definitely a 2c in terms of skill.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He has been a good PP player for a while. He is definitely a 2c in terms of skill.
Good. I have only seen bits and pieces of his games (and I was normally focusing on Nash). Nice to see today. If he can put up .60 ppg for the rest of the season I will be very, very pleased.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:40 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Good. I have only seen bits and pieces of his games (and I was normally focusing on Nash). Nice to see today. If he can put up .60 ppg for the rest of the season I will be very, very pleased.
I think of they give him PP time and good line mates that is more than reasonable. He has good skill, for a long time he was always matched up against other teams beat defensemen. As a young player, that is difficult.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:45 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I hope it's the same as it is now.

That would be the most delicious crow ever.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

I don't even understand Sting. No one is expecting Brass God to put up 4ppg. I think most of us would be very happy with a bit over .50ppg. I wouldn't be upset with exactly .50ppg as long as he wasn't a liability and provided depth.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:49 PM
NYR Viper

I am hoping for the Rangers version of Peverly. I don't think that's asking too much and he definitely has more upside than that.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:52 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
If he scores 6 ppg we will make the playoffs for sure.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Emptyvoid

I'm excited more with what Brassard can provide on the PP. I don't expect him to be a consistent offensive force on even strength.

Emptyvoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Been a huge fan of Brassard his entire career, I think he's going to flourish in New York. Still think he has the potential to be a good second line center.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I was looking at his stats on hockeydb earlier today and saw his 3 straight seasons of, or on pace for, over 40 points. I was concerned that he was getting a ton of ice time to get those 40 points. Now I'm somewhere I can actually get on NHL.com and look at the stats.

2012-13 - 16:25
2011-12 - 16:20
2010-11 - 17:01

He should be getting about those minutes on our 3rd line, maybe slightly less. Gives me confidence he won't see a drop because of playing a lesser role here.

Last edited by Tawnos: 04-03-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
He's Darren Turcotte, whats not to like ?

And a bit off topic, but someone has to find a pic of his sister. She is what I call a first rounder

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:41 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I don't even understand Sting. No one is expecting Brass God to put up 4ppg. I think most of us would be very happy with a bit over .50ppg. I wouldn't be upset with exactly .50ppg as long as he wasn't a liability and provided depth.
But he always has been a liability, so why would you expect him to stop being one? When has he been an efficient creator? He's not a very bright player. You don't want to take my word for it? Fine, but you had a BJ fan in the other thread telling you the same thing, in nicer terms, anyway.

He has low hockey IQ, and AFAIC, that is the worst attribute a player can have. Inefficient puckhandlers are one of the worst things a team can do to itself. How many times do the Rangers need to give you prime examples of it before that becomes self-evident? You have to have a lot of other positive things go right for you in order to overcome that. Possessing the puck and anchoring it in the offensive zone is incredibly important in this league, and guys who make bad decisions with the puck, especially guys whose primary responsibility is to carry the puck, are detrimental to their team.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
But he always has been a liability, so why would you expect him to stop being one? When has he been an efficient creator? He's not a very bright player. You don't want to take my word for it? Fine, but you had a BJ fan in the other thread telling you the same thing, in nicer terms, anyway.

He has low hockey IQ, and AFAIC, that is the worst attribute a player can have. Inefficient puckhandlers are one of the worst things a team can do to itself. How many times do the Rangers need to give you prime examples of it before that becomes self-evident? You have to have a lot of other positive things go right for you in order to overcome that. Possessing the puck and anchoring it in the offensive zone is incredibly important in this league, and guys who make bad decisions with the puck, especially guys whose primary responsibility is to carry the puck, are detrimental to their team.
More important than ever, in my eyes. You have to have everyone being able to do that or the chain is broken. Back in the day most teams carried two or three Dmen that couldn't skate or handle the puck for their life, and a few forwards as well. Nowadays if you have more than two playing in your top two lines your screwed.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:51 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:

Seems like it'd be great to leave him paired with Hagelin then. Minimize his deficiencies and let the guy get creative, he was dangerous tonight.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:52 PM
cbj21

A happy Brassard who have fun on the ice is gold. Good luck Brass!!

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:

I don't see how he has low hockey IQ. I don't see that at all. Complain about him all you want, but I never even thought he was a dumb player in juniors. Dumb players aren't making those passes. Dumb players aren't lifting the puck perfectly over Fleury and timing it perfectly while taking a hit.

Bash the dude all you want. But I saw nothing to show me that he has bad hockey IQ. And I am the guy on this board who has been railing about the collective hockey IQ for months, now. If he has poor hockey IQ, than I have no idea what we would even consider Miller or Kreider. Sub-human? Retarded sub-humans?

Also, his liability will be lessoned playing with better defensive players and in a system that has been pretty good at defense. Just my two cents, there.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:35 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I don't see how he has low hockey IQ. I don't see that at all. Complain about him all you want, but I never even thought he was a dumb player in juniors. Dumb players aren't making those passes. Dumb players aren't lifting the puck perfectly over Fleury and timing it perfectly while taking a hit.

Bash the dude all you want. But I saw nothing to show me that he has bad hockey IQ. And I am the guy on this board who has been railing about the collective hockey IQ for months, now. If he has poor hockey IQ, than I have no idea what we would even consider Miller or Kreider. Sub-human? Retarded sub-humans?

Also, his liability will be lessoned playing with better defensive players and in a system that has been pretty good at defense. Just my two cents, there.
What does his skill have to do with his mental game? Those are not mutually exclusive qualities. Scott Gomez is the epitome of low hockey IQ, and he has great hands and speed. He's my least favorite player of all time, and I've never denied that he is an extremely skilled and talented player. But either he just doesn't give a ****, he's really lazy, or he's a dolt. Frankly, not caring is equivalent to being dumb. Even if you know how to play, you're just as bad as a player without that knowledge if you don't apply it to your game.

Let me ask you this: we both agree that Brassard has phenomenal skill and talent. So if his mental game isn't the problem, what is?

What generally happens to highly skilled players who don't have a high hockey IQ? One of three things, as far as I can tell. Either they don't pan out in the NHL at all, they totally change their game to adapt and become bottom six role players, or they spend their career as inconsistent tweeners, usually not on top teams, and they put up 40-50 points a season.

Brassard is 25, I don't think it is far to compare him to Miller or Kreider. On the other hand, I've been talking about Kreider's lack of a mental game since he was drafted, if not earlier. I was more supportive of the Miller selection, but I've never felt that his head was the strongest part of his game. He just has so many other things going for him that it makes up for him being average in the hockey IQ department.

I do agree that his liability is lessened by the team around him, and that is precisely how the Devils made Gomez a workable part of their success. That is the most positive side of acquiring Brassard, IMO: the influence of some of the players on this team. Unfortunately, those influences didn't change other players we've had that shared some of Brassard's deficiencies. In fact, one of those influences, Tortorella, seems to develop a disliking for skill players with said deficiencies (although he isn't as quick to scorn grinders and plugs who suffer from this affliction).