HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[BUF/MIN] Jason Pominville & 4th rounder for Johan Larsson, Matt Hackett, 1st & 2nd

Old
04-03-2013, 08:05 PM
biturbo19

vCash: 500
Wasn't sure what to think when the picks weren't solid...but you throw a 1st and 2nd in there, and Buffalo comes away with a huge haul here. Great return for Pominville.

It does add a bigtime jump to the Wild right now though, without taking anything off the roster.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:10 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanmaster View Post
Larsson, Hackett + 1st and 2nd looks pretty good for Pominville + Vanek
Keep dreaming.

Would love to see how you build a team when you have to pay 6 mil to Pominville and then 7 mil for Vanek to go along with Parise and Suter's deals.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:18 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 370
Hackett was going to be traded anyway... simply no room for him with the Wild going forward. He is waiver eligible next season and he wasn't going to be with the Wild and would never have cleared waivers. A trade was inevitable with him.

The first and next yr's 2nd, I could live with as well... the team has plenty of maneuverability draft-wise etc, and even prospect-wise.

The choice of WHICH prospect to trade after Hackett is the tough pill to swallow. I am a huge fan of Larsson, and saw him likely on the big club as soon as next season. Larsson has Koivu-lite written all over his future. The kid is going to be a stud! Tough pill to swallow. Would have rather traded away Zach Phillips... but then maybe Zach Phillips doesn't get the deal done either though.

I am a huge Pominville fan though too, and this isn't just a rental move, so it's tough to swallow, but still thrilled about what this means for the Wild going forward, a team with both a ton of roster and prospect depth!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Jason Pominville is flying to L.A. in the morning; #mnwild not sure he'll debut yet, but you can bet he will want to
http://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/319611750926385152

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Rando Strange
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Good voice of reason Talon. I want to add a hybrid statement/question with Larsson.
I never got a chance to see him play outside of YouTube highlights. I keep hearing that he is a "Koivu-lite" "Koivu without the offensive upside", etc. So with the presumption of Granlund still being the heir apparent to the #2C slot and possibly #1C down the road. Really wouldn't that make Larsson's ceiling as a Wild player #3C? We got Brodziak as #3C and he still has many years of good hockey left in him. Graovac is developing quite nicely. Maybe sooner or later Larsson was going to find himself in the same situation as Hackett in regards to finding himself being a bit redundant.

The draft picks- I really am not concerned about the 2nd at all. The 1st stings a bit, but really with the drafting success we've had recently I think we can afford to let the picks go when we are improving our team now and in the future. With our prospect pool we can afford the hit. No matter good we are with scouting/draft, picks are still a crapshoot when you are investing literally in teenagers. Pominville on the other hand is a known commodity.

This year at least I'm a bit concerned about our goaltending siuation now. Moreso for Houston. We're down to two quality goaltenders in Backy and Kuemper. A quality goalie with a very tricky medical condition, and DesWhathisnuts. And Kuemper also has had some durability issues.

On paper we may have overpaid, but we are in a position we can afford to. Why do some people pay $150K for a Porsche when they can get a 'Vette at half the price? Because they can.

There has been a lot of balking and skepticism about this trade. I don't blame people for that either. I'm going to go outside my Irish heritage and try and be optimistic. Because as we say at the Church of Yeo, "In Chuck we Trust"

Rando Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Duffman955

WTH, Pomminville gets more than kovy, Iggy and nearly as much as Nash.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:19 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
Good voice of reason Talon. I want to add a hybrid statement/question with Larsson.
I never got a chance to see him play outside of YouTube highlights. I keep hearing that he is a "Koivu-lite" "Koivu without the offensive upside", etc. So with the presumption of Granlund still being the heir apparent to the #2C slot and possibly #1C down the road. Really wouldn't that make Larsson's ceiling as a Wild player #3C? We got Brodziak as #3C and he still has many years of good hockey left in him. Graovac is developing quite nicely. Maybe sooner or later Larsson was going to find himself in the same situation as Hackett in regards to finding himself being a bit redundant.

The draft picks- I really am not concerned about the 2nd at all. The 1st stings a bit, but really with the drafting success we've had recently I think we can afford to let the picks go when we are improving our team now and in the future. With our prospect pool we can afford the hit. No matter good we are with scouting/draft, picks are still a crapshoot when you are investing literally in teenagers. Pominville on the other hand is a known commodity.

This year at least I'm a bit concerned about our goaltending siuation now. Moreso for Houston. We're down to two quality goaltenders in Backy and Kuemper. A quality goalie with a very tricky medical condition, and DesWhathisnuts. And Kuemper also has had some durability issues.

On paper we may have overpaid, but we are in a position we can afford to. Why do some people pay $150K for a Porsche when they can get a 'Vette at half the price? Because they can.

There has been a lot of balking and skepticism about this trade. I don't blame people for that either. I'm going to go outside my Irish heritage and try and be optimistic. Because as we say at the Church of Yeo, "In Chuck we Trust"
Larsson being much younger, may have moved up to be the eventual replacement in the top 6 for Koivu. Or he would have moved up to fill the top 6 role in case of injury etc. Or, maybe he would have moved on if the Wild didn't have room in the top 6 and another team had room for him.

No team can keep all of their prospects long term anyway... but that doesn't mean we couldn't have had room as long as possible in the mean time.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Rando Strange
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
WTH, Pomminville gets more than kovy, Iggy and nearly as much as Nash.
Kovalchuk was a pending UFA. So possible rental
Iginla is a 35 year old pending UFA and likely a rental
Nash was/is more longterm but has an extremely expensive contract. Plus Columbus was not dealing in a position of strength with Nash asking for trade.
Pominville is signed through 2014 on a reasonable contract. So yeah we had to pay a little more for that security.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

So happy Pominville will have a chance to win the Cup in Minnesota. They're very dangerous right now.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:29 PM
rynryn
Reluctant Optimist

vCash: 3096
Buffalo wins no matter what, but this could be a win for Minny if they make it to round two. otherwise it's a "pushed too early". even if we fail we still retain flexibility and it's hardly a move that will relegate us to lottery picker status.
right now this is a win/meh trade.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:31 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
So happy Pominville will have a chance to win the Cup in Minnesota. They're very dangerous right now.
Hopefully he can play tomorrow vs the Kings. We're already short a 2nd line center right now with Cullen being injured (who knows how long yet). Need all hands on deck for these games!

Old
04-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Rando Strange
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Larsson being much younger, may have moved up to be the eventual replacement in the top 6 for Koivu. Or he would have moved up to fill the top 6 role in case of injury etc. Or, maybe he would have moved on if the Wild didn't have room in the top 6 and another team had room for him.

No team can keep all of their prospects long term anyway... but that doesn't mean we couldn't have had room as long as possible in the mean time.
Fair enough. I thought about him bringing the flexibility of keeping Larsson in case of injury while posting. I conveniently forgot to mention that in my antithesis, hoping it get left unsaid. Can't get anything past you tho. Maybe because I haven't really seen him play for real is why I'm not terribly sentimental about Larsson. Although based on what other Wild fans have said about him, I have no doubt he is the real deal.

PS- This just popped in my head. I wonder now with another freed up contract space and one less goalie on the farm. Maybe Fletcher is going to try and sign goalie, Hobey finalist Eric Hartzell to a FA ELC after my Huskies beat Quinnipiac in the Frozen Four?

Last edited by Rando Strange: 04-03-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old
04-03-2013, 09:41 PM
AKL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Keep dreaming.

Would love to see how you build a team when you have to pay 6 mil to Pominville and then 7 mil for Vanek to go along with Parise and Suter's deals.
I highly highly highly doubt Pominville gets 6m and Vanek gets 7m in 2014.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:46 PM
LongWayDown37

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
I highly highly highly doubt Pominville gets 6m and Vanek gets 7m in 2014.
Really? I'd say its just about guaranteed, especially on an open market. $7m for Vanek would be a slight decrease and $6m for Pominville is just a $700k raise. With what we've seen in teams just signing their own top line scorers, I think anyone will be fortunate to get these players for just those amounts.

LongWayDown37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:48 PM
AKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWayDown37 View Post
Really? I'd say its just about guaranteed, especially on an open market. $7m for Vanek would be a slight decrease and $6m for Pominville is just a $700k raise. With what we've seen in teams just signing their own top line scorers, I think anyone will be fortunate to get these players for just those amounts.
Who says Pominville is gonna hit the open market?

Old
04-03-2013, 09:52 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

With the pool of prospects that the Wild have they could make this deal and it doesn't really hurt them. It makes them much better now and it gives them a chance to resign Pominville after next season. If they do re-sign him I think it makes them a big contender to sign Vanek in 2014.

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Who says Pominville is gonna hit the open market?
I think he signs a 5x5 deal with Minny at the end of his contract

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:55 PM
AKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
With the pool of prospects that the Wild have they could make this deal and it doesn't really hurt them. It makes them much better now and it gives them a chance to resign Pominville after next season. If they do re-sign him I think it makes them a big contender to sign Vanek in 2014.
Russo speculated on this in an article he wrote today. Apparently Pominville and Vanek were close. He said it could turn into a situation where Pominville tells Vanek how awesome it is here.

You never know, with a bunch of money coming off the books in these next two offseasons for the Wild, anything could happen. No one thought we'd sign both Parise and Suter either.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Rando Strange
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I don't ever see Vanek as a Wild. His next contract is really going to seriously inhibit us signing our prospects when their ELCs are expired. No way I want another $6-7M dollar player at the expense of Granlund, Zucker, Coyle, and Brodin. Plus any of the quality role players you have to have to ice a complete team.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:00 PM
tomgilbertfan
#WhyBother

The only way i see vanek coming to the wild is if the cap goes up significantly and he takes a massive discount.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:18 PM
aemoreira1981

When it's time to blow up the team, it's really time to blow it up.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:19 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Buffalo wins no matter what, but this could be a win for Minny if they make it to round two. otherwise it's a "pushed too early". even if we fail we still retain flexibility and it's hardly a move that will relegate us to lottery picker status.
right now this is a win/meh trade.
You can't honestly think this was just for this season? Fletcher knows that the Wild's window starts now and will be open for the next 5ish seasons. Pominville is part of that window. Fletcher will work hard to re-sign him.

Edit - And long term there isn't that much of a problem. Pominville is cheaper than Heatley, who is being bought out this summer.

Last edited by nickschultzfan: 04-03-2013 at 10:25 PM.
nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:47 PM
bills44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
Ridiculous. Maybe back in '08, '09, people might have disliked his perimeter-oriented game but since he got the C he's been a solid pro, productive, detail-oriented, going into traffic. He's be a solid top-6 at least for the next 3-4 years and can assume either the shooter or distributor role on a line, play PP point or half-wall and kill penalties..
He's one of the worst PP point men I've ever seen, and his supposed defensive prowess is vastly overstated.

I still don't see him going into traffic often.

bills44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:51 PM
sergejean

Solid trade for both teams. Pominville brings a complete package to the Wild plus some veteran leadership. In addition to the draft picks, Buffalo gets a future high quality 3rd liner in Larsson and a potential Miller replacement in Hackett.

sergejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Anyone else feel like Buffalo had a deal in place to trade Miller after this trade that fell through? I mean, this all but ensures Miller is gone by the draft or offseason but I had a hunch that he was on his way out as well

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote