HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

The team post-deadline and how you feel about it

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-03-2013, 06:36 PM
  #51
chuckdobbins
Moderator
 
chuckdobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
What (in your opinion) was more important?

Limiting the impact of the additions, or keeping the assets divvied to a minimum?

Was this the balance we needed?

After the deadline in '11, I felt as though Chiarelli had done the moves that were necessary to bring a Cup to Boston. That we had the league's best roster heading into the post-season. I think we had an opportunity to add those pieces again and do the same THIS year. People were upset about prices paid (we STILL hear about Kaberle and Wheeler and Stuart), but would it have been worth it to bring in a real difference-maker?

Or do you (like Latrappe) feel as though this isn't the year anyway?

I still don't know. For me, Jagr is an entity that I can't accurately assess the value of.
I think the balance of bringing in a quality forward without losing anything of value, and taking a flyer on a reclamation project in Redden (again without losing a darn thing).

I think there are other moves that might have been available but I'm more than happy that Chiarelli balked on anything else. Do I think it's the year? eh, I think they're close enough that it's not unreasonable to believe they should win a couple rounds...and personally that's enough for me to consider them contenders. Let's put it this way, I didn't expect them to win the cup when they actually won it, so I'm done counting this team out.

Bottom line, I think they are stronger today up front and on defense than they were last week (I'm removing Bergeron's injury from this for now). Once they get healthy they are a top 3 team in the East with the Penguins and Montreal.

I completely agree that I can't assess Jagr either. But at the very least he is a far better option than Pandolfo or Caron. Not that I expect him to ride the 3rd line, but if it comes down to it then he's still an upgrade SOMEWHERE.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:37 PM
  #52
Latrappe
Selke winner
 
Latrappe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
What about this team led you to believe that we weren't serious contenders? Would that have changed had Iginla agreed to come here?

What did we need?
To me, Iginla might have solve the inconsistency of the KHL line. You demote Horton on the 3rd line which help you to remove Pandolfo from the equation ( killing two birds with the same stone). If Bergeron didn't get hurt, the Bruins have,at least, two scoring lines. Maybe Jagr will be the solution, who knows?

I like the way Hamilton is developing but it's not going to be enough against a strong opponent in the playoffs. PC should have trade for a top 4 D-man which would have give Seid and Z a breather and reduce the pressure on Hamilton. Redden is a depth guy but i have no clue on what he can give us. To me, we're one injury away to be in trouble when it become to our blueline.

Our PP, since day one, is atrocious. If it's true that the Bruins won a Cup with a PP less then 10% of efficiency, it was also an "historical" achievement since no team before the Bruins have won a Cup in these conditions. So, you have a bad PP + a defense who rely a TON on his goaltending and it's pretty much a receipe for an early exit. Now, if you add that our shutdown centerman is out, well... the picture is not pretty. It's one thing to get away with so-so performance against Buffalo or Ottawa but it's another one against Pittsburg or Chicago...

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:38 PM
  #53
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 32,813
vCash: 500
Awards:
Excluding Bergy's situation ........this team is better than it was 72 hours ago and the cupboard is still stacked.

I'm good. Game on.

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!

Go Team Hoyt !
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:53 PM
  #54
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: next to the bench
Country: Scotland
Posts: 24,863
vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Excluding Bergy's situation ........this team is better than it was 72 hours ago and the cupboard is still stacked.

I'm good. Game on.
You must be happy with our "new" old guy

I hope he puts on a good show for your birthday.

__________________
Get well Pevs. B's fans sending you a hug!!!.
Ladyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:53 PM
  #55
SPV
Zoinks!
 
SPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
I'm very happy with the team post-deadline; gave up very little for two guys that have the potential to really contribute.
Also, I'm as upset as anybody about Bergeron being out; but this is a team built on depth and system. I think they can absorb his absence for a while; they will definitely be affected, but I think they can still win. Look at Ottawa without Spezza & Karlsson.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:54 PM
  #56
Taz#24
Registered User
 
Taz#24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Washington DC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,718
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Taz#24
PC did a very good job in a tough situation

Adding JAGR adds scoring punch both at regular strength and particularly on the PP. REDDEN will provide depth on D and keep FERENCE on his toes as not to lose his #6 spot. To me the other recent additions to our team, DAUGAVINS and hopefully SODERBERG could have an even bigger impact then JAGR or at least more then most expect. Our strength is rolling 4 lines and wearing teams down. That said and if BERGERON in not out for long and KELLY and MCQUAID come back strong, we can do just that. Assuming all are healthy;

LUCIC-KREJCI-JAGR
MARCHAND-BERGERON-SEGUIN
SODERBERG-PEVERLEY-HORTON
PAILLE-KELLY-CAMPBELL
THORNTON/DAUGAVINS

CHARA-BOYCHUK
SEIDENBERG-HAMILTON
FERENCE-MCQUAID/REDDEN

RASK
KHUDOBIN

Taz#24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:56 PM
  #57
Serpico4ever
Registered User
 
Serpico4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 500
With Patrice out, not good. That being said I like Jagr, Bart, Krug, Dogman, Yeti, Redden etc better than nothing. Now the coach needs to use these guys if his favorites aren't working out. God help us all if Bergy going down doesn't get Seguin his center spot.

Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:59 PM
  #58
GodTukka*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
I like what Chiarelli did, he picked up a top 6 forward and depth/possible 5/6 defenseman if needed (I know people wanted something more, but considering how little PC gave up i'm totally fine with it)

All of our top prospects are still in the system, even though i would have been fine with moving Subban or Koko if the need called for it

If only Chiarelli could somehow magically reverse Bergy's injury, then i'd demand they build a statue of him outside the Garden.

I'll give him an A, Obviously the injury is out of his control

Oh, and we kept our team together, that's a plus

GodTukka* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:59 PM
  #59
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon
 
Jack Donaghy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerville MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz#24 View Post
Adding JAGR adds scoring punch both at regular strength and particularly on the PP. REDDEN will provide depth on D and keep FERENCE on his toes as not to lose his #6 spot. To me the other recent additions to our team, DAUGAVINS and hopefully SODERBERG could have an even bigger impact then JAGR or at least more then most expect. Our strength is rolling 4 lines and wearing teams down. That said and if BERGERON in not out for long and KELLY and MCQUAID come back strong, we can do just that. Assuming all are healthy;

LUCIC-KREJCI-JAGR
MARCHAND-BERGERON-SEGUIN
SODERBERG-PEVERLEY-HORTON
PAILLE-KELLY-CAMPBELL
THORNTON/DAUGAVINS

CHARA-BOYCHUK
SEIDENBERG-HAMILTON
FERENCE-MCQUAID/REDDEN

RASK
KHUDOBIN
Agreed. I have a hard time believing in Soderberg until I see him on the ice in a Bruins jersey but I've decided to be optimistic. So I think your lineup is good. If Bergeron is out a while, I am still optimistic but clearly we are noticeably weaker.

Jack Donaghy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:05 PM
  #60
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean
 
11MilesPerJohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: McLean Hospital
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
I'm very happy, assuming the team consistently brings the intensity they did last night.

I'm honestly not worried about the Bergy injury at this point. I thought Chia's outlook was pretty positive. I don't care if he plays another game during the regular season, as long as he is back for the playoffs.

If Soderberg does come over, this team will be deep with skill up and down the line up.

Ideally, I would have liked a defenseman better than Redden, but Ference and Quaider, when he gets back, are going to have to man up. I have liked the way Dougie has raised his game over the last week or so.

We have as good a chance as anyone of winning it all.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:14 PM
  #61
sarge88
Registered User
 
sarge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
My thoughts exactly. We're likely looking at a 2-4 week return at best. Likely longer.

Given he's the team's MVP... not good.

Replied to wrong post

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:16 PM
  #62
Soderberg
Registered User
 
Soderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,627
vCash: 500
Underwhelmed. Was really hoping we would get a better defensemen. Jagr is exciting. Soderberg needs to get his ass over here.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:52 PM
  #63
Mr. Make-Believe
Moderator
Pass me another nail
 
Mr. Make-Believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Erotic Fantasies
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
To me, Iginla might have solve the inconsistency of the KHL line. You demote Horton on the 3rd line which help you to remove Pandolfo from the equation ( killing two birds with the same stone). If Bergeron didn't get hurt, the Bruins have,at least, two scoring lines. Maybe Jagr will be the solution, who knows?

I like the way Hamilton is developing but it's not going to be enough against a strong opponent in the playoffs. PC should have trade for a top 4 D-man which would have give Seid and Z a breather and reduce the pressure on Hamilton. Redden is a depth guy but i have no clue on what he can give us. To me, we're one injury away to be in trouble when it become to our blueline.

Our PP, since day one, is atrocious. If it's true that the Bruins won a Cup with a PP less then 10% of efficiency, it was also an "historical" achievement since no team before the Bruins have won a Cup in these conditions. So, you have a bad PP + a defense who rely a TON on his goaltending and it's pretty much a receipe for an early exit. Now, if you add that our shutdown centerman is out, well... the picture is not pretty. It's one thing to get away with so-so performance against Buffalo or Ottawa but it's another one against Pittsburg or Chicago...
Lucic - Krejci - Horton
Marchand - Bergeron - Recchi
Kelly - Peverley - Ryder
Paille - Campbell - Thornton
Seguin

Chara - Seidenberg
Ference - Boychuk
Kaberle - McQuaid
Hnidy

Thomas
Rask

vs.

Lucic - Krejci - Horton
Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin
Kelly - Peverley - Jagr
Paille -Campbell - Thornton
Daugavins

Chara - Seidenberg
Ference - Boychuk
Redden - Hamilton
McQuaid

Rask
Khudobin

Not attempting to predict lines. An illustration of where we were when we won compared to where we are now after HAVING won. If one doesn't see the difference between the two lineups as being significant (or more specifically, significantly BETTER), then we stand little chance this post-season IMO.

BUT, if one would happen to believe the 2013 Bruins to have a noticeably stronger roster, then I'd say we have a shot. Again, we need to be better ENOUGH to be able to not rely on Rask for a historical performance in order to win.

Considering that... Would you say that we have a good opportunity to win this year?

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:58 PM
  #64
Mr. Make-Believe
Moderator
Pass me another nail
 
Mr. Make-Believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Erotic Fantasies
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,869
vCash: 500
...

Oh. I just wanted to add.

Anyone out there who thinks the Montreal Canadiens have a better team than the Boston Bruins right now, has rocks for brains. Or is letting their emotions dictate their reason. The Habs don't have a team near as good.

That's not to say they can't beat us. The Habs can ALWAYS beat us, no matter what. But they are NOT a better team.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:10 PM
  #65
Bruinator
Registered User
 
Bruinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,896
vCash: 500
As long as Bergeron is healthy and Soderberg makes his way over, I think we have as good a shot as anybody. I believe Jagre and Krejci will eventually be magic together although to start with Bergy out of the lineup, I would put Jagre with Seguin and Marchand and keep the KHL line together for now. In a perfect world, I would hope to see the following lineup for the playoffs:

Lucic- Krejci - Jagre
Marchand- Bergeron- Seguin
Peverly- Soderberg- Horton
Paille- Kelly- Thonton/Dog

Chara Boychuck
Seidenberg Hamilton
Redden McQuaid
Ferrence

While I believe in Rask and have no reason to think he won't be able to run with it, my only hope is that if he falters, they don't wait too long to go to Khoudbin as I feel he has more than proven he can steal games for us.
I would say this lineup of forwards is far more dangerous than the one that won the cup.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:12 PM
  #66
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon
 
Jack Donaghy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerville MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
As long as Bergeron is healthy and Soderberg makes his way over, I think we have as good a shot as anybody. I believe Jagre and Krejci will eventually be magic together although to start with Bergy out of the lineup, I would put Jagre with Seguin and Marchand and keep the KHL line together for now. In a perfect world, I would hope to see the following lineup for the playoffs:

Lucic- Krejci - Jagre
Marchand- Bergeron- Seguin
Peverly- Soderberg- Horton
Paille- Kelly- Thonton/Dog

Chara Boychuck
Seidenberg Hamilton
Redden McQuaid
Ferrence

While I believe in Rask and have no reason to think he won't be able to run with it, my only hope is that if he falters, they don't wait too long to go to Khoudbin as I feel he has more than proven he can steal games for us.
I would say this lineup of forwards is far more dangerous than the one that won the cup.
I agree, except I have Ference ahead of Redden... but Jagre? Why the "e" at the end?

Jack Donaghy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:12 PM
  #67
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,233
vCash: 500
So excited to see Jagr playing for the Bruins.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:19 PM
  #68
jokerboysmith
Registered User
 
jokerboysmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Planet Nebula
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,293
vCash: 500
Jagr was a great pick up.

glad no 1st round picks, or top prospects were traded.

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:24 PM
  #69
Lord Ahriman
Registered User
 
Lord Ahriman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
The whole thing about Bergeron pissed me off, but with no question was a better trade deadline than last year. That being said, about the Bruins line combinations, I know it's not gonna happen, but I'd like to have Seguin/Lucic, because they are dinamite together, so my lines would be:

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin
Marchand-Bergeron-Horton
Soderberg-Peverley-Jagr
Paille-Kelly-Campbell
Thornton-Daugavins

Chara-Boychuk
Seidenberg-Hamilton
Ference/Redden-McQuaid
Johnson-Bartkowski

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:26 PM
  #70
HortonHearsAWoo
In the pipe, 5-on-5
 
HortonHearsAWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,213
vCash: 500
Just like with the Mark Recchi deal, it's not really gonna sink in until I see him out there playing.

Jaromir Jagr is a ****ing Boston Bruin! Another childhood dream fulfilled.

HortonHearsAWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:34 PM
  #71
gillesgilbert
Registered User
 
gillesgilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
What (in your opinion) was more important?

Limiting the impact of the additions, or keeping the assets divvied to a minimum?

Was this the balance we needed?

After the deadline in '11, I felt as though Chiarelli had done the moves that were necessary to bring a Cup to Boston. That we had the league's best roster heading into the post-season. I think we had an opportunity to add those pieces again and do the same THIS year. People were upset about prices paid (we STILL hear about Kaberle and Wheeler and Stuart), but would it have been worth it to bring in a real difference-maker?

Or do you (like Latrappe) feel as though this isn't the year anyway?

I still don't know. For me, Jagr is an entity that I can't accurately assess the value of.
I feel the same way about Jagr.I was hoping that we could get a top 6 forward who we could use on the 3rd line.Jagr is not someone who is suited for the 3rd line.At 41 can he still be an effective top 6 guy in the playoffs? Time will tell,I only hope Jagr can be as productive as Krejci,Horton,Marchand ,Bergeron.I don't expect him to average a point a game but who knows,he just might.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:39 PM
  #72
Alan Ryan
Registered User
 
Alan Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
...

I like the idea of forward "pairs" with plug and play.

Krejci - Jagr
Lucic - Seguin
Marchand - Bergy
Campbell - Thornton

Leaving Peverley, Horton, Kelly, Daugavins, (Soderberg), Paille to battle for four positions.

No more Caron. No more Pandalfo.

You might not like the third line the Globe has projected as possible for Thursday night. Redden is arriving on Thursday but won't be in the line-up.

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
Brad Marchand-Rich Peverley-Tyler Seguin
Jay Pandolfo-Kaspars Daugavins-Jaromir Jagr
Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...redden_to.html

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:41 PM
  #73
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon
 
Jack Donaghy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerville MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
You might not like the third line the Globe has projected as possible for Thursday night. Redden is arriving on Thursday but won't be in the line-up.

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
Brad Marchand-Rich Peverley-Tyler Seguin
Jay Pandolfo-Kaspars Daugavins-Jaromir Jagr
Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...redden_to.html
LOL!!!

Oh man this place is gonna go nuts...

Jack Donaghy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:43 PM
  #74
Shaun
Registered User
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 20,612
vCash: 500
I'm happy that we were able to acquire one of my childhood favorites and a generational talent for nothing.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:44 PM
  #75
Actp
CN6 but Accentuate p
 
Actp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 4,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
LOL!!!

Oh man this place is gonna go nuts...
Pandawful Dogman Jagr....There are no words.
If Jagr has to do that for more than two games, I just hope he doesn't go postal.

Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.