HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Great To Be Nashville Predators Fan

Old
04-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Nitrous Mafia

vCash: 500
It's Great To Be Nashville Predators Fan

I was born in Nashville, raised in Athens, GA. I didn't even know what the NHL was when I was a kid. I moved back to Nashville in '95. By 2000 I was hanging out with a bunch of skater/roller hockey kids, obviously that spilled over into an interest in the NHL. My first game was in 2000 against the Ducks. I remember going behind the goal during warmups and heckling Dunham.

I was at the first home playoff game. I remember the first intermission of that game when we were ahead, meeting up with my friends and we were all freaking out.

I remember where I was for Sully's first game and the hatrick.

I remember the lockout and how heartbroken we were as seniors in HS that we wouldn't get to ride the last season of success.

I remember where I was when the ESPN ticker rolled by saying that we had signed Kariya and how much we flipped out.

I remember the fire sale. Coming home for weeks that summer I would spend an hour + reading this board. One of the worst sports memories of my life.

I remember Arnott leading us out of the darkness and returning to the playoffs.

I hate the Sharks, Calgary, STL, Det.

Radulov on Arnott concussion.

I was at a bar called Battleground Brewhouse in Franklin during the infamous comeback OT game against Anaheim. We had the door propped open and the car running ready to storm out.

We snuck down to about 10 rows behind the bench in the 3rd period of the Nashville Predators series clinching win against the Ducks.

My GF can still recall Dan O'Halloran's name because I flipped out so hard when he disallowed our goal against PHO.

I love this team more than I love the Georgia Bulldogs who I was raised to love. I would have no idea what hockey is if it weren't for LIARpold bringing the team here. I have loved every second of it.

Sure I wish we could've won atleast one cup since our inception but teams have gone for much longer without anywhere close to our success. I'm almost glad that we've had to deal with such heartbreak and near misses this early on in the franchises history. It galvanizes us that much more.

Go Preds

Last edited by Nitrous Mafia: 04-03-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: drunk typing
Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Love the passion , love the memories, you are a "true" sports fan! Nicely done!

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:55 PM
drwpreds

Well said, man, well said.

A much welcomed break from the extreme negativity...........

drwpreds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:24 PM
AEM6729

I was raised in Nashville too, and also didn't know or care about hockey as a kid. Until 8th grade, when the Preds came.

I remember my first game: December 1, 1998 against Ottawa. We lost 3-1 and I had no idea what was going on but it was so. Much. Fun.

I remember becoming completely obsessed with the Preds, even collecting those goofy player cards from Wendy's. Me and my friend drew 3 of them from a pile before each game, thinking those players would have good luck. It didn't matter that we totally sucked; hockey was awesome!

I remember seeing Vokoun playing for the first time when I was 13 and deciding he was my favorite player. One time I saw Leipold in the elevator and he took me down to the locker room and got me Vokoun's stick. I was scared something would happen to it, so I kept it in my bed for weeks.

I remember every playoff game. I've been to every single home playoff game, even if it meant driving from college in Knoxville and driving back that same night for class the next morning.

I remember hearing about Kariya too. Literally did not think it was real. I was freaking out that he chose us! Then Forsberg!!

I remember where I was when I heard about the team getting sold: on vacation with college friends in Destin, sitting in the shallow end of the pool. I immediately got up, went inside and streamed 104.5 to hear everything I could about it. Went on to attend every rally there was.

I remember the first TV timeout standing O. Damn near cried.

I remember when my husband proposed to me at center ice in the empty arena. Pretty awesome.

I remember becoming a season ticketholder myself, 12 years after going to my first game as a 13-year-old. Still sit in the same seats as back then.

I remember beating Anaheim and how f-ing loud it was at that moment in the arena. Probably my single-most favorite moment in Preds history to date, made all the more sweet by all the BS we had to endure in the years leading up to it.

Thanks for helping us remember all the memories with this team. It's easy to get down on them, but it really has been a pretty awesome ride so far. When we finally do win the Cup someday, it'll be so cool to say we were there from the beginning.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Nitrous Mafia

I remember the Vokoun press conference. HFboards/preds was freaking out. Everyone said it was bad to hold an unannounced presser before the POs....

I remember the morning after we got Foppa, I bought a bunch of TITansseans and brought them to work. I bet I could find one of them if I went to my parents house.

I remember driving home from work, listening to the radio as Sully was playing his first game back from the injury, I was at a stoplight at Hillsboro and Old Hickory banging the hell out of my steering wheel I was so happy!

Old
04-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Old
04-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Old
04-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Nitrous Mafia

i'll buy a beer for the person who can find the erat SO goal @ det in the fall of '05.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Nitrous Mafia

nvm i found it, it was march of '06

Old
04-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Jubal

I'm very happy that we have the Preds here in Nashville.

I feel really bad for sports fans in TN who say they don't like hockey... They're missing out on easily the most fun sporting event in the state. Of course, you hardly see anyone in TN who doesn't like hockey anymore. It's a thing people from around Nashville and further all come together to watch... Everyone loves it.

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Iron Duke

I haven't been a lifelong Preds fan. I was, and still am, a sometime LA Kings fan, going on 25 years now. I was just completely won over by this franchise several years ago; the work ethic, the struggle to go out and compete every year no matter how thin the roster looks on paper, the excellent developmental record, and an appearance for real honesty and integrity among the front office (ownership fiascoes aside), coach, and the players, for the most part. There's some fans here that really don't understand what a gem of a franchise this is, or what some REAL bleak times look like (the Kings once traded Wayne freaking Gretzky, and had a season where Dmitri Khristich was their points leader).

My relatively few years of Preds memories have been a pleasure, and I look forward to many, many more.

Now if I can just convince the wife to finally leave this unholy land and move to greener pastures so we can become season ticket holders.

Iron Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
I haven't been a lifelong Preds fan. I was, and still am, a sometime LA Kings fan, going on 25 years now. I was just completely won over by this franchise several years ago; the work ethic, the struggle to go out and compete every year no matter how thin the roster looks on paper, the excellent developmental record, and an appearance for real honesty and integrity among the front office (ownership fiascoes aside), coach, and the players, for the most part. There's some fans here that really don't understand what a gem of a franchise this is, or what some REAL bleak times look like (the Kings once traded Wayne freaking Gretzky, and had a season where Dmitri Khristich was their points leader).

My relatively few years of Preds memories have been a pleasure, and I look forward to many, many more.

Now if I can just convince the wife to finally leave this unholy land and move to greener pastures so we can become season ticket holders.
I distinctly remember a saturday where the preds played the Kings on a Saturday afternoon and I went to the Fat Moe's in Franklin (now Sal's Pizza) RIP. Got a double burger and went home to watch the game. Wow, how bad the Kings were back in 06/07. Around that same time, on another board, a Kings fan lamented how he would never see the Kings do anything. I told him to keep his chin up as they would eventually bring it home. LOL

Old
04-04-2013, 12:21 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post

i'll buy a beer for the person who can find the erat SO goal @ det in the fall of '05.
oh man thanks for that video... just amazing how young Leggy looks... and I still miss Hartnell and Hall

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:27 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Love this thread

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
and I still miss Hartnell
me too brotha

Old
04-04-2013, 04:40 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Don't you mean it's great to be a Predators "fran"? Man I hate those commercials.

We don't have the history or hockey culture that other teams or cities have, but what we do have is unique to us. The Standing Ovation is something that was started and has continued for 5 years now. It's so awesome when they happen!

I grew up with hockey. My parents went to hockey games when they were dating. I went to games as a baby, we had season tickets to the Knights and all the minor league teams until the Preds came and have been season ticket holders since that first day they ever went on sale. And in the same seats, too. I was at my grandmother's house watching tv and we saw it scroll across the bottom on ESPN that Nashville was getting a team and we were screaming we were so excited.

I've been lucky enough that I have been able to be at almost every game, except the years I was away to college, so a lot of my memories are from home games. Hearing and feeling the crowds is something that I won't forget. The first home playoff game and the building was shaking and so loud that I couldn't even hear the person next to me who was screaming. And the crowd when we scored the empty net goal to ice the Anaheim series was just as great, people hugging and crying everywhere.

As much as the "sale" sucked and was a heartbreaking time, the Save the Preds rally was one of the best things that has ever happened to this city and team. They were hoping for just a few hundred new season ticket holders and got over 700. And we heard of the new ownership group that just might be stepping up to buy the team. I cried when I walked into the arena and saw the size of the crowd, they were hoping a few thousand fans, they got almost 10 thousand on one of the hottest days of the year in July and people wearing their jerseys. I remember on all the news channels that morning the anchors were all wearing jerseys during the newscast. Also, the phrase "Keep your damn hands off my team" instantly became a permanent part of the Preds history and every one of us knows the true meaning and importance of that sentence.

Well enough with this sappy stuff, it almost sounds like the team is leaving. For anyone that is going to be there Thursday or Saturday or any game the rest of the season, be loud and cheer your hearts out and let's get this team back to the playoffs again dammit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
This is one of my favorite Preds moments. I literally couldn't sleep that night I was so excited from that game!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:28 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Love this thread, all these videos give me goosebumps.

I'll be honest, one of the biggest reasons why I'm proud to be a Predators fan is all of you. From when I first started posting here ya'll have treated me great even though as of yet I've never even been to your neck of the woods.

I'm the only Predators fan that I know of here in Taiwan but I stick up for the team when anyone tries to talk crap about the team or city and more and more a lot of my friends here pay more attention to the Preds.

Hope one day soon I can visit and attend a game!

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:35 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post

Couldn't you just show her home prices in SoCal vs Nashville area?

Old
04-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I'm still a young whippersnapper, so I don't have quite the past others do, but I'll contribute nonetheless.

I don't remember a time before Preds hockey. To my generation, it feels like they've always been here.

I remember being a cub scout and sitting in the nosebleeds once or twice a year. No idea what was happening, but I had fun.

I remember putting on my catcher's gear and having my brother (Hustlechuck24) shooting plastic pucks at me and calling me "Jonkoun".

I remember waking up with my dad holding a newspaper over my face with the headline "Preds Get Forsberg!"

I remember hating Basille with a level of anger only a teenager can muster.

I remember our governor holding up a sign that read, "Get your damn hands off my team"

I remember winning two state champinships in a league funded and sponsored by the Predators.

I remember being "draft eligible" and joking that Poile should take a waiver on me in the 7th round.

I know there are many more to come.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:29 AM
AintLifeGrand

Sic Em. Go Preds

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:35 AM
glenngineer

I remember the 8-0 drubbing we gave Detroit a few years back.

I remember Scott Walker's cauliflower nose.

I remember the game we played Detroit and never seen so many overpriced veterans fighting all of our guys. Needless to say, we won the game and kicked their arses all the way back to Detroit.

I remember Blake Geoffrion scoring 3 late in Buffalo to give us the win.

I remember guys like Clark Wilm and Vitaly Yachmenev. Clark was the homeless guy and Vitaly sounded like a venerial disease. We gave guys on the team nicknames because it made the games more fun. Upshall was JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy.

I remember Tootoo ragdolling Frolik. Still have no idea how he got up uninjured.

I remember a ton of Tootoo hits actually. Tons of fights followed of course.

I remember the night Chase Donnell's family was up on the main stage and his signed jersey behind the bench in honor of that young man. Getting misty eyed thinking about that young boys courage, his families pain and the way the Preds organization rallied around all of them.

I remember the first standing O.

I remember the times meeting many of you fine people during warmups between 102 and 103.

I remember proposing to my wife on the concourse of a game a few years ago.

I remember mostly yelling and laughing at the games.

I remember the heartbreak.

I remember this little small town team that could and is still doing it to this day.

While it ain't always pretty, we all seem to keep coming back for more, for better or worse.

Have to say the future is very bright here in Nashville.

Love you guys.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:39 AM
JFG

Stumbled upon this thread when I was trying to find out what you guys thought about the Erat - Forsberg trade. Just wanted to say that it's warms my heart to see this kind of stuff from fans of a "young" organisation. And I say that with the deepest of respect.

I have played hockey for almost all my life and I wasn't even one day old when my grandfather gave me a jersey and scarf from his favorite team (therefore making them my favorite team) Leksands IF, which just so happens to be Filip Forsbergs team. But I'm extremely happy to see "new" fans learning the greatness of hockey everyday.

I don't have a Nashville video but last saturday Leksands IF made the jump back to the top swedish tier and because Forsberg played a big part in that team it is atleast a bit Nashville-oriented. (They're singing "We are back!")

Good luck in the future guys.

JFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:27 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
I envy you guys - especially the "kids" - who've been able to grow up with not only the new pro team, but a new sport. I grew up watching the backside of Mr. Hockey's career and the last run of Montreal championships on a tiny b&w 9" tv, hoping the clouds were thick so the signal got a good bounce and there wasn't too much snow in the picture outta' Det or Windsor.

Never got to see hockey live, certainly not NHL level, as a student or young adult. Then I moved to Nashville, followed shortly by the Oilers and an NHL franchise. Having been in Houston for a while, I expected that I'd adopt the Oilers as my passion, or maybe Vandy basketball. However, my 6yo had other ideas. It was about the 3rd or 4th game of our debut season - jeez we were awful - I remembered enough hockey to see it. But my 6yo - ate it up. and following that were 6packs, and quarter season tix, then halves, and for his last few years of HS, full-seasons.

I always admired his passion, even in the early awful years. He could always find a new favorite player when we inevitably moved/lost anyone who had any real talent, or dumped the truly awful who had their last fling with our startup. I remember his excitement when we started making some of our bigger personnel moves - like the day we got Sully. Didn't stop talking about it, had to get to that game - it was a week before he stopped talking about that hat trick. I wasn't sold on the Preds necessarily as my team, but I was darn sure sold on the Preds impact on my family and the time I had with my boy, so..... I started really learning hockey.

Even know when the Preds became MY TEAM, not my hockey team, but the team I was passionate about. 1st home PO game, overwhelming underdogs to Det. Media wondering what the heck we were doing in there against the mighty wings, and then their surprise when they walked into the loudest building in NA, their cameras literally shaking from the vibrations, their announcers basically admitting they couldn't hear outta' their earpieces. That was OUR team; the building and that crowd sent a pretty clear message.

Yep, we still had some dark days coming - a lockout, the great disappointment of the Sharks loss when we had home ice, the Liarpold firesale. But...... we have had sooooo many great moments since then. DP and BT and the rest of hockey mgt. rebuilt this franchise in a hurry, restored on-ice performance in a hurry, and got us to new success in a couple years time with back-to-back 2nd round finishes and a PO series win over those da*# wings!

We've grown some future Hall-of-Famers, we've had extended success that fans all over the league envy. Our homegrown boys attracted $100million offer-sheets; sucks to lose one, but whoda' thunk we'd grow 1, let alone 2, studs that would attract that kinda' attention - this is Nashville!

Now - we're about to start a new run. A few vets in place to keep it on track, to pass along "the Predator way", but the kids are taking over. Most of the year we've played with 4 Dmen in their first or second pro season. Wilson -finally starting to live up to his promise. Borque last year, Beck this, earning their way through Milwaukee to success in Nashville, doing the work that too many other talented players (mr. rusky who's name shall not be spoken) refuse to do. DP making the kinda' deals the last couple years that "he'd never make", giving us a shot, now restocking a bit with an O prospect like we've maybe never had.

If you're a hockey fan, heck, even a sports fan in Nashville TN - it's GREAT to be a Predators fan.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:32 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFG View Post

Good luck in the future guys.
Thanks for sharing, and love the sound of the crowd!

Dean:

Old
04-04-2013, 02:34 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Jones/Josi

I approve of this thread

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote