HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Post TDD Press Conference

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Remuskokafication

vCash: 500
Van seems like such an entitled organization,
Giving out these preposterous contracts and just expecting other teams to eat them.

They have an EXTREMELY tradeable asset in Schneider. They could get a kings ransom for him. Instead they keep both? why? does that make them a better team than rolling Lu as #1 and adding an allstar player? if Lu's that bad why do they think anyone will take his albatross without massive consideration?

bush league

Old
04-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Budsfan

Gillis signed him to that rediculous contract and now that contract, has come back to bite him on the backside.

I wouldn't doubt, that The Canucks are going to have to buy him out, to stay under the cap, that's no one's fault but Gillis', you can't fault Luongo, his agent negotiated that big contract and I would think Lu thought, he would be in Vancouver until he retired.

Truth is, I wouldn't mind trying to sign him, if he was bought out, he is a great Goal Tender but just no one wanted to be saddled with that cap killing contract and Gillis' unreasonable trade demands.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:39 PM
FlareKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
Gillis signed him to that rediculous contract and now that contract, has come back to bite him on the backside.

I wouldn't doubt, that The Canucks are going to have to buy him out, to stay under the cap, that's no one's fault but Gillis', you can't fault Luongo, his agent negotiated that big contract and I would think Lu thought, he would be in Vancouver until he retired.

Truth is, I wouldn't mind trying to sign him, if he was bought out, he is a great Goal Tender but just no one wanted to be saddled with that cap killing contract and Gillis' unreasonable trade demands.
Yeah, if you separate the contract from the player it'd be great to have a guy that skilled. But god, the contract really is a mess. The only option that is going to be left is either buying him out or retaining a chunk of the cap hit. In that respect you might as well buy him out to save the space outright. I just can't imagine any offer is going to fly that will get a team to take on that money.

Hopefully for Luongo's sake that's the route they go this offseason. Get cleared out of there and can go be a starter anywhere he gets an offer.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:44 PM
DaveT83*

Even if nonis was just trolling his replacement in vancouver ... it feels good

Old
04-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah, if you separate the contract from the player it'd be great to have a guy that skilled. But god, the contract really is a mess. The only option that is going to be left is either buying him out or retaining a chunk of the cap hit. In that respect you might as well buy him out to save the space outright. I just can't imagine any offer is going to fly that will get a team to take on that money.

Hopefully for Luongo's sake that's the route they go this offseason. Get cleared out of there and can go be a starter anywhere he gets an offer.
They do have another option, they can trade Schneider and keep Luongo as their #1 goal Tender but this whole thing didn't have to happen but Gillis screwed up, by signing Schneider as the #1 and then trying to trade Luongo.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:06 AM
veedubn1

LeBrun saying that Nonis turned down Scrivens + two 2nd round picks in the final moments leading up to the deadline.

I'm a fan of Reimer's play and happy that Nonis turned down this offer. Although it's great value for the Leafs, it forces us to create our own goaltending controversy... likely leading to Nonis trading Reimer for scraps in a pretty barren goaltending market.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Spazmatic Dan
Force Beyond Measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
LeBrun saying that Nonis turned down Scrivens + two 2nd round picks in the final moments leading up to the deadline.

I'm a fan of Reimer's play and happy that Nonis turned down this offer. Although it's great value for the Leafs, it forces us to create our own goaltending controversy... likely leading to Nonis trading Reimer for scraps in a pretty barren goaltending market.
This is my feeling to.

I'd like Luongo in Toronto but it just doesn't make sense right now. No point in burying Reimer or creating our own controversy as you mentioned.

This past offseason it made a lot more sense, but not at the price Gillis was asking then.

I do feel for Lu though. I hope he gets a starter job somewhere and shines.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Disgruntled Observer*

I know most people defend obsessive greed behind the argument of "that's what I would have done..."

but I find it poetic justice when greed comes back to bite these players in the ass.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:53 AM
jughead42

Screw Luongo, screw the Canucks and screw Mike Gillis. Luongo has his money, and he wouldn't be in this position if he didn't get out played by his backup. I have no sympathy for him at all, even if he seems like a funny guy. If it's true he nixed a deal last year to come to Toronto then it serves him right to be opening the door for a team that isn't any better than we are. Gillis (and their idiot coach) screwed the situation up beyond all repair, so it looks good on the Canucks. They are following the path of the 2007 Senators, who crapped away whatever window of opportunity that team had to win a cup with those players. No sympathy at all, in fact Luongo's tears are quite yummy.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:54 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Screw Luongo, screw the Canucks and screw Mike Gillis. Luongo has his money, and he wouldn't be in this position if he didn't get out played by his backup. I have no sympathy for him at all, even if he seems like a funny guy. If it's true he nixed a deal last year to come to Toronto then it serves him right to be opening the door for a team that isn't any better than we are. Gillis (and their idiot coach) screwed the situation up beyond all repair, so it looks good on the Canucks. They are following the path of the 2007 Senators, who crapped away whatever window of opportunity that team had to win a cup with those players. No sympathy at all, in fact Luongo's tears are quite yummy.
He said in the press conference that he didn't nix any deal.

04-04-2013, 12:56 AM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
I know most people defend obsessive greed behind the argument of "that's what I would have done..."

but I find it poetic justice when greed comes back to bite these players in the ass.
Hindsight is always 20/20. Makes it easy for people who aren't sure about what's going on to point fingers. Luongo was offered a 12 year contract and to him, it was more about job insurance and being able to settle down without worrying until retirement. That's pretty much the dream of every man isn't it? To find a job where you won't have to worry about losing it. Would he himself have thought Mike Gillis would have such a love fest with Cory Schneider and flat out refuse to deal him? Would he have thought after having such great success that the GM who he thought he could rely on would turn around in bite him back?

Old
04-04-2013, 12:56 AM
xyzz

Lu was always going to be a leaf... just a matter of whether it was now or in the summer.

I'll be glad when we get him... will take our team to the next level.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:58 AM
Max Quackenbush

Quote: "LeBrun saying that Nonis turned down Scrivens + two 2nd round picks in the final moments leading up to the deadline."

Seems doubtful, because if Nonis turned this meager offer down and TO crashes and burns, then the town folks of Hogtown will descend upon his castle with torches and pitchforks. Book it.

Old
Spazmatic Dan
Force Beyond Measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzz View Post
Lu was always going to be a leaf... just a matter of whether it was now or in the summer.

I'll be glad when we get him... will take our team to the next level.
If Reimer/Scrivens get shelled in the playoffs I could see them bringing him in as a mentor/starter.

Problem is Luongo's contract is so long that it will be tough to move on from them when they might need to (See Vancouver's current situation). That would be a few years down the road however.

Old
Enhanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demuskokafication View Post
Van seems like such an entitled organization,
Giving out these preposterous contracts and just expecting other teams to eat them.

They have an EXTREMELY tradeable asset in Schneider. They could get a kings ransom for him. Instead they keep both? why? does that make them a better team than rolling Lu as #1 and adding an allstar player? if Lu's that bad why do they think anyone will take his albatross without massive consideration?

bush league
I actually agree with this.

Even though Schneider is better than Lu, is he better by that wide of a margin that Lu had to be pushed out of the door so quickly, nevermind the fact that Lu signed a large ass contract? The Canucks made their decision with Luongo in signing him to that contract, if a better goalie comes along, trade him for a king's ransom. There is no way that Schneider is that much better than Lu for this entire debacle to happen (and the parity between them is evident in the beginning of the season when there was a "goalie controversy").

Like I don't see LA pushing Quick out the door with his contract because Bernier is slightly better. Similarly, MTL traded Halak for some nice assets and kept Price when Halak was considered the better goalie.

What Gillis is doing in my mind is essentially having the mentality that, where he can only have one toy, he just wants the fancier and newer toy, nevermind that his old toy is still great. What does he do? He kicks and screams and cries and makes it into a mess of a situation until he gets what he wants. Ya know, just like those entitled kids do.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enhanced View Post
I actually agree with this.

Even though Schneider is better than Lu, is he better by that wide of a margin that Lu had to be pushed out of the door so quickly, nevermind the fact that Lu signed a large ass contract? The Canucks made their decision with Luongo in signing him to that contract, if a better goalie comes along, trade him for a king's ransom. There is no way that Schneider is that much better than Lu for this entire debacle to happen (and the parity between them is evident in the beginning of the season when there was a "goalie controversy").

Like I don't see LA pushing Quick out the door with his contract because Bernier is slightly better. Similarly, MTL traded Halak for some nice assets and kept Price when Halak was considered the better goalie.

What Gillis is doing in my mind is essentially having the mentality that, where he can only have one toy, he just wants the fancier and newer toy, nevermind that his old toy is still great. What does he do? He kicks and screams and cries and makes it into a mess of a situation until he gets what he wants. Ya know, just like those entitled kids do.
That analogy.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:15 AM
Kb21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Quackenbush View Post
Quote: "LeBrun saying that Nonis turned down Scrivens + two 2nd round picks in the final moments leading up to the deadline."

Seems doubtful, because if Nonis turned this meager offer down and TO crashes and burns, then the town folks of Hogtown will descend upon his castle with torches and pitchforks. Book it.
it actually isn't a small offer when you take into the consideration of who has leverage and how much. i.e. nucks 0% every other team 100%.

also it can be said that the leafs are over achieving this season ATM and are nothing more then a 10-8th seed for this year.

either way i hope the nucks and all their fans enjoy this moment because IMO the owner won't allow them to buy out luongo and will force gillis to trade CS instead, which should in turn should cause another riot if my calculations are correct.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:36 AM
jughead42

If Nonis turned down that offer of Scrivens and picks for Luongo, it makes me wonder what Nonis was looking for to get a deal done. After reading the Capgeek explanation of the cap advantage recapture rules, or "The Luongo Rule" as its sometimes known, I'm guessing Nonis wanted a Scrivens for Luongo and picks deal to compensate us for that ridiculous contract. Screw Gillis, Vancouver and Luongo, it should be their problem, they created it. When the league has specific rules on how to punish a contract, it's probably not worth trading for. Nice job Nonis for yanking their chain though, I bet it felt good to say no.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:39 AM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
If Nonis turned down that offer of Scrivens and picks for Luongo, it makes me wonder what Nonis was looking for to get a deal done. After reading the Capgeek explanation of the cap advantage recapture rules, or "The Luongo Rule" as its sometimes known, I'm guessing Nonis wanted a Scrivens for Luongo and picks deal to compensate us for that ridiculous contract. Screw Gillis, Vancouver and Luongo, it should be their problem, they created it. When the league has specific rules on how to punish a contract, it's probably not worth trading for. Nice job Nonis for yanking their chain though, I bet it felt good to say no.
I think Nonis, like Burke, believes that absorbing the contract and giving Vancouver cap space is payment enough.

Two 2nd rounders on top of Scrivens is too much of a sacrifice for a player who may only be useful to us for a couple of years.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:43 AM
sangreale

Alas only one reality matters. Nonis was smart enough not to take on that contract. Even the beneficiary of that deal said "it sucks". What else is there to say.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

I went over to their forum and read some posts and have been completely enlightened. According to some Nucks fans, Nonis is an idiot and totally unprofessional for leaving them hanging and rejecting that Scrivens + 2 2nds deal as he "never intended to trade for Luongo in the first place".

Old
04-04-2013, 02:14 AM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzak View Post
I went over to their forum and read some posts and have been completely enlightened. According to some Nucks fans, Nonis is an idiot and totally unprofessional for leaving them hanging and rejecting that Scrivens + 2 2nds deal as he "never intended to trade for Luongo in the first place".
Imagine Nonis being unwilling to trade for a player they are desperate to get rid of. The nerve.

I will bet that Nonis purposely led Gillis on out of spite for his dismissal in an attempt to get back at Van.

Actually its a thought. Suggesting that there might create more angst on their boards.

Sadly I have always cheered for Canadian teams in the playoffs. Considering what has transpired over Luongo I am, this season, ready to make an exception.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:25 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

The Canucks are going about this the wrong way. It's obvious now, no one wants him, not because he isn't a good goalie, but because of his contract.

So, instead of living with it and maybe trading Schneider for some good return, they've been putting Luongo through this crap for how long now?

So unprofessional. You idiots are the ones that offered him this contract. Live with it.

Luongo is a great goalie. Go with him. His cap hit is only 5.3 or something like that. Suck it up and don't destroy his confidence any more.

They've created a circus around him. Poor guy. He took them to game 7 of the stanley cup finals.

Basically they're singling him out for their failure. Not cool.

You offered this monster of a deal. Time to live up to it, get some return for Schneider and move on forward. Luongo can still win you a cup.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:07 AM
zeke
#freewilly

well, this deadline should have humbled Gillis I think.

I really do think he believed that the leafs were just bluffing, and would give him value for Luongo's contract when push came to shove. I'm betting he's absolutely shocked that the leafs didn't bite on his final offers.

Maybe now he finally realizes what an albatross that contract is, and what kind of position he's in - he's going to have to eat some of Luongo's contract or take on bad contracts or GIVE UP value to get another team to take it.

And I bet you for the first time today he actually realized for the first time that he might need to amnesty Luongo this summer.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:20 AM
pdmuck

In the NFL, players renegotiate their contracts all the time (Brady has done it multiple times in New England) to take less money, reduce their cap hit and allow the organization to spend more money elsewhere to build a winner.

With the NHL's CBA is Luongo absolutely prevented from renegotiating his contract or is it not done just because the PA would puke all over it?

I'm assuming from other high profile examples like Gomez and Redden, both sides must be structurally bound to the deal until the end of its terms, but it seems kind of stupid to me that if a player wants to renegotiate for a lesser deal to create a better playing situation for himself, that he is not able to.

Closed Thread