HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Well, draft day is shaping up to be a real event for Buffalo. Imagine if they get a top 3 pick, guaranteeing they can get one of their preferred top-end guys without having to give anything up. Then they can sit there and trade up higher in the 1st (MIN 1st+), trade INTO the first (picks and/or players/prospects), trade for young players/prospects, or select their picks (which given their record should result in at least one quality hit beyond the early 1st).

Then there's all the extra picks next year to work with or add to. There's the possibility of trading Miller/Stafford in the offseason or at the deadline. If Vanek won't sign an extension over the course of the season then he goes at the deadline as well.

We're hopefully looking at back-to-back major drafts (not counting what still looks to have been a very good one last season), especially if they finish low next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
BUF has more picks than the above, beyond those rounds. Will try to sort it all out later. That site has the info, just not summarized.
It's a great site for information but the layout is unnecessarily difficult to parse. They should have a tree format that lists the picks held, with children node of each entry to show the history of the pick. There are other ways, too. The way they do it is not good.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Is moving from 16-25 range to 8-10 range using two seconds (one that will likely be 31-35) that much of a reach?
Yes absolutely.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Takeo

I looked at that website and my brains spun. Appreciate the info though. If anyone takes the time to put together a clean, comprehensive draft card it would be super sweet.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:26 PM
McTank

Lets do what we did last year 21+44 for 14 or something like that to move up in the 1st with the minny pick

Old
04-03-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Lets do what we did last year 21+44 for 14 or something like that to move up in the 1st with the minny pick
You can get just as good of a prospect at 25 as 15

Old
04-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
I looked at the website and my brains spun. Appreciate the info though. If anyone takes the time to put together a clean, comprehensive draft card it would be super sweet.
Basic breakdown is:

2013 -

1st Round - Sabres
1st Round - Wild, from Pominville
2nd Round - Sabres
2nd Round - Blues, from Leopold
3rd Round - Sabres
4th Round - Blues, from Leopold (Conditional if Blues reach round 2 of playoffs)
5th Round - Sabres
5th Round - Blues, from Leopold (Conditional if Blues don't reach round 2 of playoffs)
5th Round - Devils, from Brennan
6th Round - Sabres
7th Round - Sabres

2014 -

1st Round - Sabres
2nd Round - Sabres
2nd Round - Kings, from Regehr
2nd Round - Wild, from Pominville
3rd Round - Sabres
5th Round - Sabres
6th Round - Sabres
7th Round - Sabres

2015 -

1st Round - Sabres
2nd Round - Sabres
2nd Round - Kings, from Regehr
3rd Round - Sabres
4th Round - Sabres
5th Round - Sabres
6th Round - Sabres
7th Round - Sabres

Old
04-03-2013, 05:37 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Precisely.
The depth this year blows last year out of the water.

I'd rather keep the 2nd's and target specific types (a high ceiling offensive defenseman or a power forward, two types that have more uncertainty in their projection by nature).
If I'm moving them, it's because I need to move up a bit higher to get the players I'm targeting at the very end of the 1st or higher in the 2nd, not because I want to collect all the blue chip prospects and have too many cooks in the kitchen.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Selanne00008

I've been thinking about all of our picks since the poms deal.

Do we just draft em all?

I'd really like to see us somehow move up into another lottery pick THIS year.

Something like Minnesota 2013 1st plus St. Louis 2nd +______ ? To move up in this years draft.
I really don't want to wait for a 1st or second in 2014 to develop. It'll be 2016 at the earliest we see any type of result from those picks.

What about moving girgs and minny 1st and moving into the top 5?? It may also help sway vanek into resigning if we have elite talent that will be READY sooner rather than later.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:50 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Wow that awesome more picks for us!

Old
04-03-2013, 06:54 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Precisely.
The depth this year blows last year out of the water.

I'd rather keep the 2nd's and target specific types (a high ceiling offensive defenseman or a power forward, two types that have more uncertainty in their projection by nature).
If I'm moving them, it's because I need to move up a bit higher to get the players I'm targeting at the very end of the 1st or higher in the 2nd, not because I want to collect all the blue chip prospects and have too many cooks in the kitchen.
Do you think the trade for Hackett has future implications for Miller being traded this Summer or in the future? From your experience is Hackett one of the top 5 goalie prospects in the league. His grade of 7.5C is equivalent to Lehner (7.5C) who many consider the top goalie prospect in addition to Markstrom.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:56 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post

Do we just draft em all?

Something like Minnesota 2013 1st plus St. Louis 2nd +______ ? To move up in this years draft.
I really don't want to wait for a 1st or second in 2014 to develop. It'll be 2016 at the earliest we see any type of result from those picks.

What about moving girgs and minny 1st and moving into the top 5?? It may also help sway vanek into resigning if we have elite talent that will be READY sooner rather than later.
How willing would you be to move our top 5 pick for a late 1st+? It pretty much never happens that a team moves that far back.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
How willing would you be to move our top 5 pick for a late 1st+? It pretty much never happens that a team moves that far back.
If it included girgs I'd at least listen anyways. I see your point though.

We were able to move up significantly last year to grab girgs and Griggs in a row. But yeah, not even top 10.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

Do we just draft em all?

Depends on the player targeted. The Sabres need a serious infusion of talent in their pipeline and this assortment of picks should allow that to start happening. Jfb mentioned, this is viewed as a deeper draft, it's great to have a lot of picks in the top 60. Having a lot of picks also means they can take a chance on someon, pluck a faller or target specific types of players.

04-03-2013, 08:24 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Do you think the trade for Hackett has future implications for Miller being traded this Summer or in the future? From your experience is Hackett one of the top 5 goalie prospects in the league. His grade of 7.5C is equivalent to Lehner (7.5C) who many consider the top goalie prospect in addition to Markstrom.
I wouldn't say it necessarily points to a move coming beause Hackett is waiver exempt, but I could see them moving Miller this summer and have advocated for moving him now because his value will be highest prior to the season starting.
I can't say how he stacks up around the league since I'm not huge into goalies and have really had minimal viewings of him, but I wouldn't put him in the Lehner category because he's a cut above.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:27 PM
jfb392

Quote:

Do we just draft em all?

If it takes until 2016 for a player to develop, so be it.
Realistically, you're probably not even going to get sustained production from many young players for at least three years anyways, even if they're a lottery pick.

I'd rather just restock the system and let them come along properly.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:00 PM
The Washer

Found this post interesting:

"Picks in 2013 are like gold - mark my words, this is going to be an amazing draft. 2003 caliber."

What a great year to be stoopid with picks and assets. Draft could be epic.

My early prediction is 2 out of the top 5, Ovi and joining the season ticket waiting list

Old
04-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
If it takes until 2016 for a player to develop, so be it.
Realistically, you're probably not even going to get sustained production from many young players for at least three years anyways, even if they're a lottery pick.

I'd rather just restock the system and let them come along properly.
I think I know you're right, I'm just anxious for a quicker rebuild and high end talent.

That being said we can kiss vanek and prolly miller goodbye. They'll take their talents elsewhere before their time runs out waiting on proper development.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Takeo

Nice work Myllz, thanks!!

Old
04-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Girgenburger

Quote:

Do we just draft em all?

I don't think so. We've got so many damn 2nd round picks, and as it's looking right now we're going to have a lot of prospects getting a shot next year. We should package one or a couple of them with Miller or Stafford to get some proven talent for the top 6.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Girgenburger

I think some realistic picks for us are: Erne, Nurse, Morrissey, Nichushkin. and i'd be happy with any of them.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:47 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Trading for Hackett doesnt happen if they were planning on keeping Miller around longterm with giving him any type of extension. Add to that we know that Darcy has stated they are rebuilding and one can only assume they arent gonna let a top ufa walk for nothing. So that just leaves it to when they decide to move him and I think he is traded by the draft.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:23 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I now lean towards making sure we take a defenseman with one of the two firsts. Anyone have any good targets in the later part of the first raouwnde?

Old
04-03-2013, 11:44 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I now lean towards making sure we take a defenseman with one of the two firsts. Anyone have any good targets in the later part of the first raouwnde?
Well assuming we dont end up with 3rd overall and end up with Jones I would prefer them going FWD with both 1sts. IMO the strength of this draft is in the FWDS and other then them trading a bunch of picks along with the Minny 1st to try for Nurse, I say use your 2nds to pick D.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:50 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
Well assuming we dont end up with 3rd overall and end up with Jones I would prefer them going FWD with both 1sts. IMO the strength of this draft is in the FWDS and other then them trading a bunch of picks along with the Minny 1st to try for Nurse, I say use your 2nds to pick D.
If this is true, I'm fine with your strategy.

We do have some seconds to toy with. Try to get some toughness in that round, and shoot for the surer things in the first (if offense is indeed that much more of a sure thing all the way through)

Still....anyone care to provide me some names to look out for (defensemen) in the late first or throughout the second, particularly some with some defensive aptitude and ability to hit or play with notable toughness?

Old
04-03-2013, 11:58 PM
sjci

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Quote:
Still....anyone care to provide me some names to look out for (defensemen) in the late first or throughout the second, particularly some with some defensive aptitude and ability to hit or play with notable toughness?
In the 20-30 Range, you're looking at Bowey, Mueller, Hagg, Morrisey (If he drops). The bottom third of the first round is a bad spot for d-men, as you'd most likely be reaching a little bit. We'd be better off going BPA for our 1st Round picks (most likely 2 forwards) and grabbing one of those Tier 4 D-men with our high (33-36) 2nd.

You've got

Tier 1 - Top 3
Jones

Tier 2 7-12 Range
Nurse
Poluck
Ristolainen

Tier 3 13-20
Zadarov
Morrissey

Tier 4 25-40
Hagg
Theordore
Bowey
Mueller
Santini
McCoshen
Morin

Personally, I'd love to see something like Barkov, Lazar/Horvat (Would most likely need to trade up a little), any D

Last edited by sjci: 04-04-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Closed Thread