HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Acquire Steve Mason; have re-signed him to a 1-yr ($1.5m ext.), Apr. 8

Old
04-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
sounds like our 51M$ guy...you sure you didnt mean to discuss Bryz ?

Seriously. Sounds like we're well prepared for Mason.

04-03-2013, 10:14 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

vCash: 500
guys on the SCORE say we got Mason to replace Bryz next year, not be his backup

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:15 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
And Bobrovsky hasn't solved anything for CBJ either....Mason was the man 4 years ago, things change.
Um, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
Which Mason also did, 4 years ago. Things change constantly. Especially in net.

The kid won the Calder and was Vezina nominated at 21. I think it's easy to see his struggles have had more to do with the mental game than anything else. He's a talented goaltender. It's kind of funny reading his scouting report from hfboards:

... I think having Steve Mason as one of our two goaltenders moving forward is not a bad thing. Who the other guy might be moving forward is what scares me.
Trending in two completely separate directions.

I've watched bob a bunch this year, he has been incredibly sound. Which really is not surprising. His skill is obvious

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:19 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
what happens when it's a 7 game series and the western teams actually get a scouting report to expose bob's bad glove hand?

i think bob will have a theodore type career...great regular seasons using his athleticism then not getting it done in the playoffs. He is a 6'2" goalie that plays like he is 5'10".
What a stupid overreaction comment. Kid came in super raw, never had a goalie coach, then had Jeff "ruin every goalie you work with" Reese to help him out.

His positional play and mechanics have improved a lot this year.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:21 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
What a stupid overreaction comment. Kid came in super raw, never had a goalie coach, then had Jeff "ruin every goalie you worth with" Reese to help him out.

I agree after watching some Jackets games. Looks a lot different,

You should change your username to BringBackBob

04-03-2013, 10:24 PM
ahthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I am assuming but with Harding having MS and Hackett leaving I can't see Backstrom not being re signed. Mrazek isn't ready yet I don't think so there's that. I just don't think it's THAT strong of a goalie FA class.
It's really not a strong UFA class in terms of established starting goaltenders, but even if we did go the route of getting another UFA goaltender to be our bonafide #1 it would be essentially doing the same thing that we did with Bryzgalov. Throw a lot of money at a guy and hope he earns it.

We can't keep shoving money into that hole and hope it fixes itself. The Flyers goaltending woes are going to need patience and a lot of luck, and spending some time on a goaltender instead of destroying their confidence then shipping them out could help a lot. I'd roll with a Bryzgalov+Mason tandem for next season if only to see if Mason can steal the starting role from Bryzgalov or if Bryzgalov has another season of .900 SV%.

ahthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
on the main board it was mentioned that we offered a 2nd and Rinaldo for bishop.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
What a stupid overreaction comment. Kid came in super raw, never had a goalie coach, then had Jeff "ruin every goalie you work with" Reese to help him out.

I'm seriously still wondering how the hell Jeff Reese has a job. I can't wait to see him ruin an already ruined goalie in Mason.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
guys on the SCORE say we got Mason to replace Bryz next year, not be his backup
Yea, stupid. Mason isn't the reason Bryz will be gone, Bryz is.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Flyers site says nothing but during the broadcast it said that Mason will be #35. Can anyone confirm?

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Appleyard

vCash: 165
With deadline day passed, and so much conjecture on how much draft picks are worth, I figured I would look into it!

Almost finished a statistical analysis of drafts from the years 1990-2004. (or 2003, depending on if I feel the newer data compromises it slightly)

The raw data is now pretty much complete, so just have to do the percentages.

It has breakdowns for picks 1-5, 6-10 etc up to 120, with number of players who hit 200, 400 and 700 games who were taken in those brackets, as well as number of 'all stars' in the brackets. (either picked for all star game or end of season team.)

It also has the percentages of picks 121 onwards hitting the same milestone, I was going to do brackets of 5 the whole way, but got to about 200 on first few years and it was not worth it, the picks after 120 were pure luck with little difference between 120-140 and 180-200

So from it can see exactly what that third rounder we gave up is worth and the chance that 2015 pick turns into the next Giroux, or even a serviceable 4th liner.

So I will put it up sometime tomorrow.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:31 PM
ahthorne

Quote:
Trending in two completely separate directions.

I've watched bob a bunch this year, he has been incredibly sound. Which really is not surprising. His skill is obvious
Definitely, and I have watched a lot of him too. I'm not knocking Bob, just knocking the consistency of the goaltending postion in general. If you told anybody last year that Bobrovsky would be this good or that James Reimer would be pushing the Leafs into the playoffs or that Jonathan Quick would have a below .900 SV% I don't think they'd believe you in the slightest. Hindsight is always 20/20, and I've found goaltending to be the hardest position to predict.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
With deadline day passed, and so much conjecture on how much draft picks are worth, I figured I would look into it!

Almost finished a statistical analysis of drafts from the years 1990-2004. (or 2003, depending on if I feel the newer data compromises it slightly)

The raw data is now pretty much complete, so just have to do the percentages.

It has breakdowns for picks 1-5, 6-10 etc up to 120, with number of players who hit 200, 400 and 700 games who were taken in those brackets, as well as number of 'all stars' in the brackets. (either picked for all star game or end of season team.)

It also has the percentages of picks 121 onwards hitting the same milestone, I was going to do brackets of 5 the whole way, but got to about 200 on first few years and it was not worth it, the picks after 120 were pure luck with little difference between 120-140 and 180-200

So from it can see exactly what that third rounder we gave up is worth and the chance that 2015 pick turns into the next Giroux, or even a serviceable 4th liner.

So I will put it up sometime tomorrow.

looking forward to it.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:34 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Definitely, and I have watched a lot of him too. I'm not knocking Bob, just knocking the consistency of the goaltending postion in general. If you told anybody last year that Bobrovsky would be this good or that James Reimer would be pushing the Leafs into the playoffs or that Jonathan Quick would have a below .900 SV% I don't think they'd believe you in the slightest. Hindsight is always 20/20, and I've found goaltending to be the hardest position to predict.
You're right, but at the same time it's not surprising Bob is having success. It was obvious from day one that the guy had a great shot to put it together

Old
04-03-2013, 10:45 PM
ahthorne

Quote:
You're right, but at the same time it's not surprising Bob is having success. It was obvious from day one that the guy had a great shot to put it together
Very talented, I agree. I think Mason has shown a high level of talent too - although several years ago - and I guess we'll just see if he too can put it together. Odds aren't in his favor, however.

I think it's safe to say Bryzgalov was never an overly talented goaltender comparatively. Relied more on excellent positioning and got a lot of help from strong defensive play in Phoenix and Anaheim. Sean Burke is a terrific goalie coach, too. Reese is crap.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:51 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I don't know how the organization hasn't realized that a change in direction at the goaltending coach position is needed. It should be so ridiculously obvious to them. If we had a competent goaltending coach, I'd be excited about this deal.

Mason is still young, has a lot of talent and has shown what he's capable of doing. Perhaps a change of scenery will do him good. In reality, last year was his only sub .900% year...

But what's more interesting is this

Steve mason
2.95 GAA .899 sv% 0 SO
- 24 years old
- 2.9m cap hit. RFA this summer

Ilya Bryzgalov
2.82 GAA .899 sv% 1 SO
- 32 years old
- 5.6m cap hit. 7 more years

Last edited by orange is better: 04-03-2013 at 11:05 PM.
orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSLYNX View Post
To the Jackets fan here: what if Bob gets injured? You have someone else to get in there right? No way you play Leighton right?
Curtis McElhinney will prolly get called up from AHL Springfield. Hes having a career year there,2.20GAA, 927 sv%, set the AHL record for shutouts (9) and has his team in first place in their division and headed to the playoffs. He'll stay there and play unless Bob gets hurt. Cant see Leighton getting the starts over him.

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Very talented, I agree. I think Mason has shown a high level of talent too - although several years ago - and I guess we'll just see if he too can put it together. Odds aren't in his favor, however.

Dont boo him if he has a bad game, he loses confidence quickly and then blames someone else. He'll let in 6 goals and think only one was his fault.

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Dont boo him if he has a bad game, he loses confidence quickly and then blames someone else. He'll let in 6 goals and think only one was his fault.
This guy won't last.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:33 PM
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!

Jackets fan here, to be honest Mase hasn't been THAT bad this year, (He's had a few bad shifts to be sure) buts he's not breaking down anymore if he lets a shot in, and looks way more confident in net, he's had to relieve Bob a few games already and did really really well. The main reason he hasn't been playing is because Bob is playing so well. I think the change of scenery will actually work well for him. To be honest, I don't like the deal, Bob is going to need games off and we're stuck Michael Leighton as the alternative. I haven't watched him play in a while, but do you think he could be at least serviceable in net off and on?

HoldFast13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldFast13 View Post
Jackets fan here, to be honest Mase hasn't been THAT bad this year, (He's had a few bad shifts to be sure) buts he's not breaking down anymore if he lets a shot in, and looks way more confident in net, he's had to relieve Bob a few games already and did really really well. The main reason he hasn't been playing is because Bob is playing so well. I think the change of scenery will actually work well for him. To be honest, I don't like the deal, Bob is going to need games off and we're stuck Michael Leighton as the alternative. I haven't watched him play in a while, but do you think he could be at least serviceable in net off and on?
You's might be accused of fixing the game by running Leighton out there. He's top 5 in the league at opening the bench doors though.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:41 PM
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!

That bad huh? Mac call up it is I guess.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:41 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
You's might be accused of fixing the game by running Leighton out there. He's top 5 in the league at opening the bench doors though.
I LOLd

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:43 PM
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I LOLd
That was good haha.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldFast13 View Post
That bad huh? Mac call up it is I guess.
Yeah I would go Mac over him. It amazes me that Leighton still has some type of job in professional hockey.