HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[BUF/MIN] Jason Pominville & 4th rounder for Johan Larsson, Matt Hackett, 1st & 2nd

Old
04-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Anyone else feel like Buffalo had a deal in place to trade Miller after this trade that fell through? I mean, this all but ensures Miller is gone by the draft or offseason but I had a hunch that he was on his way out as well

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:03 PM
oilWILDcountry

vCash: 500
I read Russo's blog, and I really liked the part where Fletcher said
Quote:
But as a franchise we’ve spent a lot of time accumulating assets and trading for draft picks, and I think it’s a positive sign that as a franchise we’re now trading prospects and picks to acquire players. Typically that means you’re moving in the right direction. There’s always a balance. You can’t make these moves all the time. But if you never make them, how do you get better?
This is so true, and it is part of the business. And I love the fact that Fletcher went out to get someone of Pominville's calibre, it shows that he knows how to improve the team without crippling its future.

Now, if I direct my attention to the GM of my other favourite team, Steve Tambelini, what do I see? Another useless trade. 4th for Smithson. Veteran pressbox presence, AKA useless trade. Before that he got Mike Brown. The only noteworthy move he made was signing Justin Schultz. With the Oilers in the playoff race for the first time in several years, I'd have liked to see him pull off some bigger acquisitions. Everyone says how many great prospects the Oilers have, but they're just that, prospects. The team could surely use a veteran leader than CAN ACTUALLY PLAY, because Horcoff can't do that alone. Trade some of those awesome prospects! Maybe this year wasn't the right time, but if he still stays status quo by next season, ..... I'm going to be disappointed.

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:20 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
I highly highly highly doubt Pominville gets 6m and Vanek gets 7m in 2014.
I was going to say that.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:57 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

saying the 1st and 2nd round picks mgiht turn out to be busts, Larsson mgiht be a 40 pt player if that and who knows what Hackett might turning out to being where as Pominville u atleast get a 60-70 consist pt player, its a win win for both sides...

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:01 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
WTH, Pomminville gets more than kovy, Iggy and nearly as much as Nash.

but it wasn't supposed to be this way...

Twugs was only supposed to garner a 1st rounder... maybe... that's what all the experts here said and demanded would happen.

How dare they be wrong, a pox on their house!!!!!!!

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:22 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

for those asking about our 2013 picks

even though we lose our 1st this yr and 2nd next yr, we do have the following picks this summer:

Min 2nd, NJ's 3rd (Zid trade), SJ's 3rd (shepp trade), 3rd 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th nyr (Christiensen trade) so thats 9 draft picks we have and if we really wanted so im sure we could package a 2nd and 2 3rds for a late 1st or something if we really wanted to, either way we still have alot of draft picks this yr

Old
04-03-2013, 11:28 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Love the Wild, but major overpayment. Wow, shocked.

BruinsNeedaRussian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Habsrback

I like Pomminville, who plays extremely well under pressure. I would have been ready to give a 1st plus a Kristo plus any other of our prospects excluding Tinordi and Beaulieu...but I guess that Minnesota's GM is under a ton of pressure after his two ridiculous contracts last summer to go all-in and overpay. So good luck to Wild fans as you have picked up a really good one. Still don't think that the Wild is remotely close to Chicago, Pittsburgh, or Boston, and hence does not warrant this overpayment. You will however love Pomms.

Way to go for the long term for Buffalo. Now let's see what you can get for Miller (Gillis please take notes...).

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:46 PM
nate1988

was really nervous Buffalo wouldn't get a good return on Pominville. I was thankfully wrong. Strong package for him and for Buffalo looking towards the future. Good hockey trade all around, as Pominville should step right into the Wild lineup and help them tremendously.

nate1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:06 AM
ponder

Pominville is a good winger, a 1st line player, but I wouldn't call him a true star. This is a star type return.

He's 30, is signed for just 1 more year after this one, and has been having a bit of a "meh" season, calling this a "high risk" move for Minny is an understatement, I feel they overpaid by a pretty large margin. Hackett is a potential starting goalie IMO, Larsson should be an NHLer very soon, that 1st could easily be around 20th overall (in a VERY deep/strong draft), and the 2nd is just gravy. That's a hell of a lot to give up, I see this trade looking pretty bad for the Wild once it's all said and done.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Commander Clueless
Fear the Leaf

Buffalo sure got a lot for Pominville but I think he will help Minnesota out a lot.

Still, what a price to pay.

Commander Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:13 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

I don't see how a couple of B prospects, a late first, and a 2nd in 2014 is such an overpayment.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Sharppi
6 more years of Dub.

vCash: 1139
Everything to best for Larsson, he is going to be good. Mikko Koivu v2.0

Sharppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Dionysus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I don't see how a couple of B prospects, a late first, and a 2nd in 2014 is such an overpayment.
This. Larsson is a nice prospect, but for a first-line player like Pominville, and having one of the deepest prospect pools in the league, it is not a hard trade for the Wild to make.

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:16 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Quote:
I highly highly highly doubt Pominville gets 6m and Vanek gets 7m in 2014.
And I highly doubt that they won't.Vanek already makes 7+ and Poms makes 5.3.You are wishful thinking if you don't believe they get that.Pominville won't give you a discount,he will want 6+.And the only way Vanek signs anywhere for less then 7 is if he re-signs in Buffalo for a hometown discount.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:34 AM
AKL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
And I highly doubt that they won't.Vanek already makes 7+ and Poms makes 5.3.You are wishful thinking if you don't believe they get that.Pominville won't give you a discount,he will want 6+.And the only way Vanek signs anywhere for less then 7 is if he re-signs in Buffalo for a hometown discount.
Ok there guy, I know you have to be a homer and whatnot, but come on. First off, Vanek has already stated he has no interest in being a part of a Buffalo rebuild. Unless you guys miraculously make the playoffs next year while still having a promising future, he's walking.

Here's that source: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ngthy-rebuild/

So once he hits the open market, you better bet he's at least considering the only other place he's familiar, and a place that just so happens to be where his good buddy plays. Minnesota. (And yes, I believe Pominville will re-sign here). I think the idea of having both of them here, as well as the core we have, is enticing enough for them to take slightly less to come here.

Is this a sure thing? Of course not. Is there a chance Vanek re-signs in Buffalo? Not if there's a rebuild. Is there a chance Vanek will want to play where he's comfortable with his buddy? Absolutely. If it means taking less than 7m to do so, will he do it? You betchya.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:44 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
This. Larsson is a nice prospect, but for a first-line player like Pominville, and having one of the deepest prospect pools in the league, it is not a hard trade for the Wild to make.
That's the real key to this deal happening. Few teams could afford Pominville at that asking price. Larsson and Hackett would be top 3-5 prospects in a LOT of pools around the league, but the Wild had the elite talent ahead of them and the depth behind them to make a push for a player that helps them now.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:07 AM
KPRGol

Quote:
Ok there guy, I know you have to be a homer and whatnot, but come on. First off, Vanek has already stated he has no interest in being a part of a Buffalo rebuild. Unless you guys miraculously make the playoffs next year while still having a promising future, he's walking.

Here's that source: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ngthy-rebuild/

So once he hits the open market, you better bet he's at least considering the only other place he's familiar, and a place that just so happens to be where his good buddy plays. Minnesota. (And yes, I believe Pominville will re-sign here). I think the idea of having both of them here, as well as the core we have, is enticing enough for them to take slightly less to come here.

Is this a sure thing? Of course not. Is there a chance Vanek re-signs in Buffalo? Not if there's a rebuild. Is there a chance Vanek will want to play where he's comfortable with his buddy? Absolutely. If it means taking less than 7m to do so, will he do it? You betchya.
Vanek's wife is also from Stillwater. I think it is hilarious if the Wild keep trying to take advantage of Minnesota connections and friendships.

KPRGol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:10 AM
King King
Lord of Boards

Quite a haul for Buffalo.

I knew Suter + Parise would make the Wild a contender, but I didn't think they'd be going for it so soon. I think this is a dark horse team heading into the playoffs. Pominville should do really well there.

King King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:31 AM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Vanek is getting close to 7.75 Million a year on the open market.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:02 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

With Granlund/Zucker/Coyle F specs and Brodin and Dumba made Larsson expendable as well as Hackett well on our depth chart as Backs/Harding/Kuemper and then Gustaf coming in problemly next season, Hackett was moveable... Also i cant see us one of the 8 teams eliminated out of the 1st round i say we atleats are going to 2nd round as we could be playing sj/det/stl/nsh/edm/cbs the only team i think gives us a run is sj any other team we are good for second round so i say it will be about 23-26th overall so in other words kind of late 1st early 2nd... plus next yr i can see it being a late 2nd/early 3rd so Larsson, Hackett, 2nd, 3rd im kewl with... The only thing that is really a big miss is Larsson if that plus Zucker/Coyle is more developed then Larsson has. so with those 2 plus Granlund in the winds, Larsson wouldnt of saw any icetime till problemly middle of next season if that so we didnt really lose anything because the 1st/2nd who knows if it will be a key prospect or a bust... some picks in the past drafts have been a bust in the top 10 so its a few yrs away to see who actually won this trade

Old
04-04-2013, 05:32 AM
Rando Strange
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Vanek is getting close to 7.75 Million a year on the open market.
Honestly who knows what the free agency market is going to look like with the new CBA and lower salary cap in place. Players may find that GMs/Owners actually aren't willing shell out ridiculous offers for players. $6 million may become the new $7.5 mill. Of course it typically only takes one free wheeling GM to artificially drive up free agency value. I'm thinking of you Sather.

Rando Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:35 AM
Spinkis

I just feel that Minny could have done better with that package?

Spinkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:45 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinkis View Post
I just feel that Minny could have done better with that package?
Yep. Thats a ton of value.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Aela*

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
75% sure Wild got completely hosed in this trade, you just don't trade your prospects like that...

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote