HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Is Major Junior hockey in Canada as big as College Football in the States?

View Poll Results: Is Major Junior hockey in Canada as big as College Football in the States?
Bigger 1 1.09%
Same/Comparable 3 3.26%
Smaller 88 95.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-03-2013, 02:28 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
I would say its more comparable to High School Footbal in the states. Same type of fandom that exists more in the smaller towns than in the bigger cities. Maybe with interest thats a little closer to College Football.

But I would say from my understanding of High School football in the States, its closer to that.
That's what it seems like. High school football is religion down south, especially in Texas, kind of like the CHL in smaller areas.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:36 PM
almostawake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Whats your Point? I said CHL Hockey is Bigger in curtain areas in Canada then NCAA Football and i am Right... Most people in Windsor would rather go and watch the Spits game then watch NCAA football, and To CHL fans The Memorial Cup is a big prize and its a hard Championship to win you have to Win your league and take down the best teams from the other two leagues. In the States its not even a thought and thats why every single american that came on her say its not even close and it isnt in the States, Football is like a freakin religion i mean the Plymouth Whalers are one of the best CHL Teams and have made the playoffs 19 straight seasons and there arena was supposedly half empty for playoffs? in Aplace like Windsor or London its a sold out game days before the actual game day. In Alot of Canadian Cities its CHL, in some Canadian Cities that dont have a juniour team they would probably lean towards NCAA.Obviously NCAA is a bigger money maker, more seats in the stands and National TV Coverage equals more revenue coming in its common sense.
What you're saying isn't even remotely related to what the OP was asking. He was asking if CHL hockey was as big in Canada as NCAA football is in the US.

How popular NCAA football is in Canada, or how popular CHL hockey is in the US are completely and utterly irrelevant to that question.

With your final comment you finally addressed the OP's question in some way shape or form.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Burke the Legend

Junior hockey is HUGE outside of Montreal and Toronto, and the WJC has now been turned into a national event seemingly on par with bowl games / march madness.

In the USA the NCAA TV audiences are big enough to be insanely profitable (absolute #s are very important in TV and hard to achieve in Canada) so it gets amplified bigtime and will always seem more nationally significant than junior hockey especially since JR is basically nothing (besides WJC) in Montreal & Toronto the big media centres of Canada BUT get past there are it is a very significant part of Canadiana in many towns and small cities all across the country.

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:38 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
That's what it seems like. High school football is religion down south, especially in Texas, kind of like the CHL in smaller areas.
I second that high school football is a very good comparison.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:46 PM
newfy

The highschool comparison nailed it I think. College football is way too crazy. I would wager 90% of Canadians follow NCAA football more than they follow the CHL as well

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:45 PM
MastuhNinks

I'd say World Juniors is bigger or as big in Canada but CHL isn't close to the level of obsession you see in the US over college football.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

vCash: 50
Not. Even. CLOSE.

lol...

Ek het lief Woef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Leafs21

I'm from Canada but I know College football is HUGE in the states. I believe it is more popular than a lot of major PROFESSIONAL sports, including hockey. So its college football hands down, even if you did a population adjustment.

Leafs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Leafs21

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
I would say its more comparable to High School Footbal in the states. Same type of fandom that exists more in the smaller towns than in the bigger cities. Maybe with interest thats a little closer to College Football.

But I would say from my understanding of High School football in the States, its closer to that.
Yeah this. In some states they get thousands of spectators at high school football games. Very comparable to the CHL

Leafs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:01 PM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Whats your Point? I said CHL Hockey is Bigger in curtain areas in Canada then NCAA Football and i am Right... Most people in Windsor would rather go and watch the Spits game then watch NCAA football, and To CHL fans The Memorial Cup is a big prize and its a hard Championship to win you have to Win your league and take down the best teams from the other two leagues. In the States its not even a thought and thats why every single american that came on her say its not even close and it isnt in the States, Football is like a freakin religion i mean the Plymouth Whalers are one of the best CHL Teams and have made the playoffs 19 straight seasons and there arena was supposedly half empty for playoffs? in Aplace like Windsor or London its a sold out game days before the actual game day. In Alot of Canadian Cities its CHL, in some Canadian Cities that dont have a juniour team they would probably lean towards NCAA.Obviously NCAA is a bigger money maker, more seats in the stands and National TV Coverage equals more revenue coming in its common sense.
Once again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflstomper View Post
Re-read the op before you get too worked up.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Koto

its not even close, theres like 3 nationally telivised junior games a month, playoffs don't even get recap coverage, let alone live coverage, the only thing that is fully televised in the memorial cup. (top-4 teams mini tournament)

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

The amount of cover ups of horrible things and seriously deranged college football fans here in the States vastly outweighs any other fan base I've ever seen. I've never been to a CHL game though I've watched quite a few but I know how they regard college football in places like South Carolina, Pennsylvania, and OSU fans. For reference, please see the defenders of Joe Paterno. And they STILL remain adamant in their support and blind obsession in ignoring actual facts from the case.

I've never seen anything like it, honestly. The only thing that can rival it for me is soccer in Europe. It's like a cult

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:35 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
I'd say World Juniors is bigger or as big in Canada but CHL isn't close to the level of obsession you see in the US over college football.
I've seen this answer a few times. I have a hard time comparing something that lasts 10 or so days to a full college football season.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote