HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames' 3 1sts vs. Columbus' 3 firsts

Old
04-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Djp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Just for fun and discussion :

If the season ended today, Calgary would have picks #3, 15, and 29 overall. Columbus would have picks #11, 13, and 21 overall.

Which package of 3 picks (as a whole) has more value? I would suspect most people would rather have Calgary's package of picks, given the strength of the top 3/top 5 of the draft, but depending on the team, if they value depth, they may prefer Columbus' picks.

For me, as a Sens fan, I'd rather have Calgary's picks, but I'm curious about other people's opinions.
Teams arent moving out of top 5. End of Story.

If these picks were all outside of the top 5 then it could be an interesting debate.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:56 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Calgary want the 11th, 13th, 15th, 21st, and 29th overall? You guys could draft fully 1/6th of the 1st round.

We'll trade you for the 3rd overall.
I bet they'd highly consider that. If Calgary's pick is out of the top 4 this whole discussion would be different.

I will say this though, I'll bet money on Jarmo with those picks over Feaster with his even if he holds the 3 pick

ReLyT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Pekka Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wronskian View Post
Calgary will be fine, Feaster drafted Stamkos ya know
He drafted BPA at #1?!?!

Youre right, he must be an amazing drafter.

Pekka Rinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:18 PM
western redmen

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post
He drafted BPA at #1?!?!

His 2 draft here have been pretty good, I would say he is pretty decent at drafting

western redmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:25 PM
jughead42

Quote:

If the season ended today, Calgary would have picks #3, 15, and 29 overall. Columbus would have picks #11, 13, and 21 overall.

Which package of 3 picks (as a whole) has more value? I would suspect most people would rather have Calgary's package of picks, given the strength of the top 3/top 5 of the draft, but depending on the team, if they value depth, they may prefer Columbus' picks.

For me, as a Sens fan, I'd rather have Calgary's picks, but I'm curious about other people's opinions.
Come on dude, do you really think people would have a tough time choosing between the 3rd overall pick and the 11th overall? The other picks don't really matter, 13 isn't significantly better than 11, and by the time you get to picks 21 and 29 it's a tossup anyway. It's all about the best pick, and 3 is waaaaaay better than 11. Feaster will find a way to screw it up, but Calgary's picks all the way.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post
He drafted BPA at #1?!?!

Hey, that's how you tell which GMs are genuinely good at their jobs. Just ask Doug MacLean.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Stryker Island

Avs fans, let me ask you this.

Let's pretend Calgary has the 1st overall selection and the Avs have the second or third slot. Knowing full well that you guys want Jones more than anyone, would you trade your 2nd round pick to swap spots with Calgary to ensure you get him?

That's about the only scenario I can imagine where picks in the top 5 are being moved.

Stryker Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:41 AM
sjci

vCash: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker Island View Post

Let's pretend Calgary has the 1st overall selection and the Avs have the second or third slot. Knowing full well that you guys want Jones more than anyone, would you trade your 2nd round pick to swap spots with Calgary to ensure you get him?

That's about the only scenario I can imagine where picks in the top 5 are being moved.
Wouldn't trade a 2nd Round pick for it, you're asking for way too much. Maybe they'd trade a 3rd to do it, but asking for basically another 1st just to swap a spot is crazy, Even if it's Jones. I'm sure Colorado would be more than happy to select Drouin or MacKinnon. They can always trade Stastny for a solid Defenseman.

sjci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:43 AM
herashak

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjci View Post
Wouldn't trade a 2nd Round pick for it, you're asking for way too much. Maybe they'd trade a 3rd to do it, but asking for basically another 1st just to swap a spot is crazy, Even if it's Jones. I'm sure Colorado would be more than happy to select Drouin or MacKinnon. They can always trade Stastny for a solid Defenseman.
what about a 4th in 2013 and a 2nd in 2014 (avs shouldn't be terrible next year)

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:39 AM
Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT View Post
I bet they'd highly consider that. If Calgary's pick is out of the top 4 this whole discussion would be different.

I will say this though, I'll bet money on Jarmo with those picks over Feaster with his even if he holds the 3 pick
I would bet Feaster 10/10 on this one. Why?

Jackets have been very underwhelming in their drafting. Jarmo (and especially Davidson) is a HUGE step in that direction. However, what is their draft team like? How many scouts? What is their methodology? I am betting there hasn't been enough work in that area.

Calgary's has been evolving for the last while. Calgary's drafting was ATROCIOUS for years, but Darryl Sutter slowly started righting that ship (believe it or not). Flames started committing a heck of a lot more $$$ to scouting, and development, under his watch. Flames have started prioritizing a certain 'type' in his last draft (high hockey-IQ), and Feaster with Weisbrod took that ball and ran with it, keeping Todd Button as head amateur scout.

I find that you can't really qualify who is a better drafting GM even based on past histories in differing organizations. You have to look at the investment teams are making, and how much autonomy the scouting department has.

While I have absolutely no question that Jarmo has a much better eye for talent than Feaster does, Calgary's drafting and development machine has been quietly been upgrading over the last 5-7 years, and every year keeps adding something. Jarmo just doesn't have enough 'eyes' out there I would guess, based on how Columbus has been doing. On top of this, Calgary has control over their farm team, so they can dictate where to play certain prospects.

Perfect timing with this rebuild, actually...

Sorry for the long-winded rebuttal here... I just know that Calgary has been a team that has been pointed out as a poor drafting team (and also Feaster in his time in Tampa), but I find nobody looks into why, and analyzes a team's respective hockey ops department as to 'why' it is. (When Sutter took over, Flames only had 1 full time scout, and a shared farm team - to say it has expanded since then would be like saying World War 2 was just a 'border dispute').

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:14 AM
hockeyviking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Calgary. If they don't screw up 3rd overall might even get you Seth Jones..
not if colorado picks before

hockeyviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:22 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Calgary. 3rd overall is probably worth as much as Columbus's package combined.
Not gonna lie, if I were Feaster and I were offered all of the Jackets first rounders for the third, I'd be tempted. All those first rounders in a good draft would be pretty damn hard to pass up.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:44 AM
Teeder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Not gonna lie, if I were Feaster and I were offered all of the Jackets first rounders for the third, I'd be tempted. All those first rounders in a good draft would be pretty damn hard to pass up.
Not top 5, I'd do it. One of those top 5 however could change a lot of fortunes for a team.

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:26 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by western redmen View Post
His 2 draft here have been pretty good, I would say he is pretty decent at drafting
You actually think he's doing scouting? lol

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:33 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga View Post
Lindholm
Lindholm is good, but not that good...

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:42 AM
Spinkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
He has been mentioned in the top 5(#3-5) for quite a while.

Spinkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Calgary is in a better position

Jarmo will likely end up trading one of his first rounders I'd think, someone is bound to come and ask about them

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:19 AM
madmike77

Quote:

The Flames for sure - only because their first pick would likely be a top-5. The top-5 this year are pretty huge.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:25 AM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
Kind of hard to go wrong when you have a 1st overall and Stamkos is on the board that year.
drew doughty was on the board too

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:27 AM
gretskidoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
Yeah, Lindholm should go around the 15-20 mark so Detroit can nab him.

gretskidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:46 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

I thought this thread was gonna be over the next three years.

But either way, would still say Calgary. Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin are clear cut top three and there's no real order to which is better and which isn't, so that Number 3 pick is damn good. If it was 4th I might actually re-consider.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:30 AM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart View Post
I would bet Feaster 10/10 on this one. Why?

Jackets have been very underwhelming in their drafting. Jarmo (and especially Davidson) is a HUGE step in that direction. However, what is their draft team like? How many scouts? What is their methodology? I am betting there hasn't been enough work in that area.

Calgary's has been evolving for the last while. Calgary's drafting was ATROCIOUS for years, but Darryl Sutter slowly started righting that ship (believe it or not). Flames started committing a heck of a lot more $$$ to scouting, and development, under his watch. Flames have started prioritizing a certain 'type' in his last draft (high hockey-IQ), and Feaster with Weisbrod took that ball and ran with it, keeping Todd Button as head amateur scout.

I find that you can't really qualify who is a better drafting GM even based on past histories in differing organizations. You have to look at the investment teams are making, and how much autonomy the scouting department has.

While I have absolutely no question that Jarmo has a much better eye for talent than Feaster does, Calgary's drafting and development machine has been quietly been upgrading over the last 5-7 years, and every year keeps adding something. Jarmo just doesn't have enough 'eyes' out there I would guess, based on how Columbus has been doing. On top of this, Calgary has control over their farm team, so they can dictate where to play certain prospects.

Perfect timing with this rebuild, actually...

Sorry for the long-winded rebuttal here... I just know that Calgary has been a team that has been pointed out as a poor drafting team (and also Feaster in his time in Tampa), but I find nobody looks into why, and analyzes a team's respective hockey ops department as to 'why' it is. (When Sutter took over, Flames only had 1 full time scout, and a shared farm team - to say it has expanded since then would be like saying World War 2 was just a 'border dispute').
What's with this damn misconception that the Jackets can't draft? Howsons first and only draft bust was Filatov. He found Calvert in the 4th round, Atkinson in the 6th round, Savard in the 5th round, Jenner in the 2nd, Mike Reilly in the 5th, and Anton Forsberg in the 7th (you'll know him eventually). And those first three are just players who have already made impacts on the Jackets. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Jackets drafting. And under Jarmo it will only get better.

Everyone needs to stop remembering Maclean's Jackets and thinking ther are still the Jackets of today. They are not.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
Following mynhldraft.com,
http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Calgary gets: Mackinnon, Erne and Bowey
Columbus gets: Zadorov, Wennberg, Lazar

I take Calgary's package for Mackinnon/ Drouin alone
Really hoping the Leafs can slide up and grab Domi.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker Island View Post

The price would be Colorado's 2nd to flip spots between 1 and 2.

the price could be higher if its going from 3 or 4 to 1.

The other option would be a serious pick flip instead of just giving away a 2nd.

You have to remember teams are going to be giving offers to Calgary for the pick. These will be big offers. It isnt just Colorado at #2 or #3 but offers by the other in the top 5 and teams who are at 6-12 would be making offers to move up.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:26 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Come on dude, do you really think people would have a tough time choosing between the 3rd overall pick and the 11th overall? The other picks don't really matter, 13 isn't significantly better than 11, and by the time you get to picks 21 and 29 it's a tossup anyway. It's all about the best pick, and 3 is waaaaaay better than 11. Feaster will find a way to screw it up, but Calgary's picks all the way.
Come on dude, read the whole posting. I said likely Calgary, due to the strength of the top 3 - 5 picks in the draft.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote