HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline

Old
04-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Der Jaeger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
I wonder if Washington was considering trading Forsberg to Buffalo for Stafford plus a prospect. It still was a great end to the trade deadline with the anticipation that Washington was making a blockbuster trade and that Buffalo might be involved.
That would've completed a really good trade deadline for Regier.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
I wonder if Washington was considering trading Forsberg to Buffalo for Stafford plus a prospect. It still was a great end to the trade deadline with the anticipation that Washington was making a blockbuster trade and that Buffalo might be involved.
That would have been fun. It's possible the Caps were dealing with Nash and Buffalo down to the wire and went with Nashville last minute. Who knows, though. The Internet blow-up was fun while it lasted.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

That's what I was thinking.... We could of got Flip Forsberg for Stafford plus a little more.... I looked up Erats numbers and he's basically Stafford but older...

Kind of disappointed we didn't get that done.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
That's what I was thinking.... We could of got Flip Forsberg for Stafford plus a little more.... I looked up Erats numbers and he's basically Stafford but older...

Yep, and Erat has two more years at $4.5M, so the money and term's close, too.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:

No, he's Stafford but producing. GMGM made that move out of desperation to make the playoffs. Erat will put up points for Washington. Stafford might not have considering he's sucked all year. You can make all the comparisons you want, but Erat was the safer choice and the better player for this season, and this season is really all they were concerned about with that trade.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
No, he's Stafford but producing. GMGM made that move out of desperation to make the playoffs. Erat will put up points for Washington. Stafford might not have considering he's sucked all year. You can make all the comparisons you want, but Erat was the safer choice and the better player for this season, and this season is really all they were concerned about with that trade.
8 point difference to Erat... 1 more goal for Stafford...

I wouldn't call that a big enough difference if we were willing to part with something a little better.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Erat consistently produces on a team known for their defensive system, he leads the Preds in points almost every year I believe.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Erat consistently produces on a team known for their defensive system, he leads the Preds in points almost every year I believe.
If he consistently produces...then so does Drew Stafford.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
8 point difference to Erat... 1 more goal for Stafford...

I wouldn't call that a big enough difference if we were willing to part with something a little better.
That's the equivalent of 20 points in a full season. 40 point player vs. a 60 point player. That's a big enough difference when the objective is points NOW.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:27 PM
nate1988

I know eveybody wanted Staff gone, myself included but I think it's better off waiting until the offseason to deal him. He can't play much worse than he has already this season, and could possibly play his value up. And like others have mentioned, we can't totally gut all of our roster players, we have to have someone playing. I'll be surprised to see him on our opening night roster next season and I'm fine with waiting

nate1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's the equivalent of 20 points in a full season. 40 point player vs. a 60 point player. That's a big enough difference when the objective is points NOW.
Considering I was going off your basis of who is playing better NOW ... the projections are a little pointless no?

Yes..Erat the better player... but I don't think its inconcievable that we could of sweetened it enough to get it done... which was my point.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Considering I was going off your basis of who is playing better NOW ... the projections are a little pointless no?

Yes..Erat the better player... but I don't think its inconcievable that we could of sweetened it enough to get it done... which was my point.
With what? Washington obviously wasn't interested in picks or prospects. If they were, they would've just kept Forsberg. What roster player are we adding to Stafford to add more points to Washington? Gerbe?

Old
04-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
With what? Washington obviously wasn't interested in picks or prospects. If they were, they would've just kept Forsberg. What roster player are we adding to Stafford to add more points to Washington? Gerbe?
Uh... didn't they take a prospect back in Latta?

Old
04-03-2013, 11:43 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Stafford averages more goals per 82 games then Erat, Erat more points. Erat scores 55 points/82 games Stafford 49 points / 82 games. Stafford is bigger , younger and cheaper.Staff also plays more SH then Erat too.No defending that trade, last June Forsberg was considered a top 7 draft prospect and a few months later he's dealt for a 2nd liner who turns 32 in August.

Stafford is really underrated around here, yeah he's been bad this year but he still scored 51 goals the two seasons prior. I would much rather have Stafford and a 2nd then Erat and Latta.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Uh... didn't they take a prospect back in Latta?
Yeah, but that wasn't the main reason they made the trade. Piling on picks and prospects doesn't make them better this year and it doesn't get them into the playoffs. You may not consider 8 extra points anything big, but when you're fighting for a playoff spot and need all the points you can get, they obviously are. Erat's better than Stafford, period.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:51 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah, but that wasn't the main reason they made the trade. Piling on picks and prospects doesn't make them better this year and it doesn't get them into the playoffs. You may not consider 8 extra points anything big, but when you're fighting for a playoff spot and need all the points you can get, they obviously are. Erat's better than Stafford, period.
I guess you missed where I already stated that. Whatever. Not even worth arguing about it.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:52 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Stafford averages more goals per 82 games then Erat, Erat more points. Erat scores 55 points/82 games Stafford 49 points / 82 games. Stafford is bigger , younger and cheaper.Staff also plays more SH then Erat too.No defending that trade, last June Forsberg was considered a top 7 draft prospect and a few months later he's dealt for a 2nd liner who turns 32 in August.

Stafford is really underrated around here, yeah he's been bad this year but he still scored 51 goals the two seasons prior. I would much rather have Stafford and a 2nd then Erat and Latta.
Even when Stafford produces, it seems like he does so in streaks and bunches. It's enough to make you mad.

Bai, Jru!

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1988 View Post
I know eveybody wanted Staff gone, myself included but I think it's better off waiting until the offseason to deal him. He can't play much worse than he has already this season, and could possibly play his value up. And like others have mentioned, we can't totally gut all of our roster players, we have to have someone playing. I'll be surprised to see him on our opening night roster next season and I'm fine with waiting
Apparently, Regier almost found a sucker to take Stafford:

Quote:
The Montreal Canadiens and Winnipeg Jets, despite trade discussions with several teams, both ultimately stood pat on deadline day.

The Jets were reportedly talking to the Sabres about a deal that would send Alexander Burmistrov to Buffalo for right-winger Drew Stafford.

"It's one of those things where at different points in time you're talking lots of different players with lots of different teams and different scenarios," said Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff. "This is the group that earned the opportunity to be battling at this point in time for a playoff position."
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419753

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:02 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

This mutha****a.... dammit!

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:12 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

Too bad that didn't happen, for whatever reason. We'd be loaded with talent down the middle after that trade. Not like Pens-level disgustingly talented, but still...

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:19 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Too bad that didn't happen, for whatever reason. We'd be loaded with talent down the middle after that trade. Not like Pens-level disgustingly talented, but still...
The problem is he was rushed into the NHL by Atlanta Thrashers management and has developed at a slow rate, while growing a bit of an aversion to coaching. Burmistrov doesn't like to listen to veteran teammates or the Jets coaching staff when they try to correct a flaw in his game.

"He doesn't like to be told what to do. He response is always, 'No respect, no respect,'" said one Jets veteran, when asked this season about Burmistrov. "His English isn't great and he gets his back up. He gets defensive. The only guy that can talk to him is Antro (Nik Antropov)."

Jets coach Claude Noel and Burmistrov had words on a few occasions this season and the player's exit meeting at season's end must have been interesting. There has been lots of talk within the organization about what is best for the player's development and the St. John's IceCaps have been mentioned more than once.

Do we really want a player like Burmistrov in our already divided locker room. Looks like the Jets want to get rid of him either way judging by there boards.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:30 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
The problem is he was rushed into the NHL by Atlanta Thrashers management and has developed at a slow rate, while growing a bit of an aversion to coaching. Burmistrov doesn't like to listen to veteran teammates or the Jets coaching staff when they try to correct a flaw in his game.

"He doesn't like to be told what to do. He response is always, 'No respect, no respect,'" said one Jets veteran, when asked this season about Burmistrov. "His English isn't great and he gets his back up. He gets defensive. The only guy that can talk to him is Antro (Nik Antropov)."

Jets coach Claude Noel and Burmistrov had words on a few occasions this season and the player's exit meeting at season's end must have been interesting. There has been lots of talk within the organization about what is best for the player's development and the St. John's IceCaps have been mentioned more than once.

Do we really want a player like Burmistrov in our already divided locker room. Looks like the Jets want to get rid of him either way judging by there boards.
Hadn't seen anything about that before. We definitely don't need to bring in more character problems.

Seems like he'd be able to flourish in Detroit though. I bet if any veteran player could get him to wise up and act right, it's Datsyuk.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:52 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Hadn't seen anything about that before. We definitely don't need to bring in more character problems.

Seems like he'd be able to flourish in Detroit though. I bet if any veteran player could get him to wise up and act right, it's Datsyuk.
Datsyuk would probably help him out a lot because he's the reason Burmistrov is in the NHL.

Here's the story:
Quote:
Some people try to do good deeds and tell the whole world about them. Others just do the good deeds without waiving a flag and pleas for Twitter followers.

Here’s a story for you about one of the most humble people - Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk and how his good deed possibly went further than he thought it would himself.

About 10 years or so ago there was a young boy who lived in the Russian city of Kazan. His name was Alexander. Even though he was about eight at the time, he excelled in hockey. Unfortunately, there were problems with hockey equipment, or lack thereof. So some friends asked Pavel Datsyuk to help. And he did, sending some professional hockey sticks and skates to the boy Datsyuk had never even met.

Right now that boy, who also happens to be a former first round draft pick, is a star forward for the Winnipeg Jets. His name is Alexander Burmistrov.
http://dchesnokov.tumblr.com/post/30...315/good-deeds

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:54 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Pretty cool behind the scenes look at the Gaborik trade call:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...ed-share-video

A little info: Assistant GMs for both NY and Columbus made the trade calls. They went over salary cap info for both teams, showed the Gaborik NTC that was waived. Entire trade call took about 22 minutes.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:17 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
Pretty cool behind the scenes look at the Gaborik trade call:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...ed-share-video

A little info: Assistant GMs for both NY and Columbus made the trade calls. They went over salary cap info for both teams, showed the Gaborik NTC that was waived. Entire trade call took about 22 minutes.
Also, the Derek Roy trade call:

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote