Notices

[ANA/PHO] Ducks acquire Matt Lombardi for Brandon McMillan

Old
04-04-2013, 12:18 AM
bumperkisser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Don't know what you consider tough but Steckel certainly doesn't fit that criteria in my eyes. Winnik is strong and great along the boards but isn't much of a hitter.

Up front we only have Getzlaf, Beleskey & Ryan (when he feels like it) who can really deliver quality hits. Etem too if he can play like he did the other night all the time.

I'm not asking for pure goons like some are but I think a bit of size and grittiness goes along way especially in a 7 game series. Guys like Clutterbuck, Torres (even as dirty as he is), Neil etc are the heart and soul guys that wear down opposing defenses in the playoffs.
hopefully next season we'll have DSP

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:12 AM
Markus078

I'm ok with the way the team goes right now. Sure the big hitters have not been added but despite the size of Lombardi, he is not soft! That's the key factor for me. All of our smaller players have the piece of grit in their game. I like this way a lot.

Markus078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:49 AM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
I'm ok with the way the team goes right now. Sure the big hitters have not been added but despite the size of Lombardi, he is not soft! That's the key factor for me. All of our smaller players have the piece of grit in their game. I like this way a lot.
Lombardi is soft

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:32 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Duck View Post
I think Palmieri should get a few games back in Norfolk to see if he can find his scoring touch again. He's lost his confidence lately and has developed a case of "Lupul-itis ("high and to the right of the net").

Both Holland and/Palmieri could help Norfolk with a push for their playoffs and come back to Anaheim in time for our run.
Agreed. He did that fancy move in last game, but have been very quiet otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
I can`t recall seeing Lombardi (not that i watch him a lot) playing with some grit. I can remember plays where he can get knocked off the puck. But that doesn`t happen often since he`ss very fast though.
I agree on our other small (under 6`0, say) players, they play hard at least. Cogs, Koivu and Palmieri will battle and throw a hit.

But i will take Lombardi anyway. We got him for barely nothing. As much as i wanted Bmac to succeed, he had no future here and he got us Lombardi who will give Bruce more options. The line juggling could go off the charts, but i`m used to that

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:44 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Lombardi is soft
He is soft in the same way that you can call Cogliano soft. He's small and he doesn't hit a ton, but he's defenitely no floater if that's what you think. Being gritty and being physical isn't always the same thing.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:13 AM
pesko

I'm not sure I'd have wanted Torres for that price. Last year's Torres, sure, but he seems to have lost an edge after returning from the suspension.

pesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:55 AM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Sucks to see McMillan go, he's going to be a useful bottom 6 player for sure. Good luck to him!

I don't know what to think about Lombardi, he's not exactly the answer to the problems but he's something atleast.
I liked McMillan, but he was going nowhere in our system. He got his Boudreau tryout this year and didn't cut it. Now he gets traded for a guy who might have a career that McMillan's could turn into.

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:34 AM
RPGrizzly

It looks like other teams were asking too much for the higher skilled players (duh). I'm glad Murray didn't overpay for one of them. I really like Lombardi as a player and person. Met him a few years back at the Ponda when he was a scratch for the Flames, he was just standing around the Plaza level by himself looking lost so we chatted it up for a while. He's a classy stand up guy, great veteran presence and a flat out warrior. Getting a player like that and dropping a contract in a guy whose future was looking bleak in Anaheim makes this a great addition.

Welcome Matt, and best of luck to B-Mac in Phoenix. I really hope he can establish himself there.

RPGrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

He`ll wear #19

Here`s he in practice:
http://instagram.com/p/XsbVVVrwE4/ (not sure why not showing)

He`s talking with Etem, so i`d guess for Etem-Lombardi-Selanne while Big 3 and God 3 stays together.

4th line of Beleskey-Steckel-Palmieri, probably

Looks nice

Old
04-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

An article in NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=665067

Made me more optimistic for him

Old
04-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Lombardi has looked pretty awful, especially at even strenght, but it's still early and he's already played different positions and with different linemates in just about every game. Honestly I don't think he'll bounce back to a top six calibre player, but I won't completely write him off yet. I think BB should try Ryan - Lombardi - Selanne, because neither Selanne or Lombardi should be the go-to-guy on that line.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:20 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Lombardi has looked pretty awful, especially at even strenght, but it's still early and he's already played different positions and with different linemates in just about every game. Honestly I don't think he'll bounce back to a top six calibre player, but I won't completely write him off yet. I think BB should try Ryan - Lombardi - Selanne, because neither Selanne or Lombardi should be the go-to-guy on that line.

Come playoffs I think Lombardi will be in boxes.

Just playing some filler right now.

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Yeah the only thing that's good so far is we didn't have to give up anything really and he is an extra center when Getz went down. I wouldn't put him in over any of our centers once Getz and Bones gets healthy though. I take Holland over him too.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:29 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Yeah the only thing that's good so far is we didn't have to give up anything really and he is an extra center when Getz went down. I wouldn't put him in over any of our centers once Getz and Bones gets healthy though. I take Holland over him too.
omg. this.. im glad we only gave up mcmillan, even though I do like him quite a bit but he certainly seems to just have fallen off an cliff with respect to our depth chart ever since his rookie season.

I hope he proves me wrong sometime soon, when selanne has to cover the C duties for lombardi on a line thats already suspect defensively, then you're really asking for trouble.

I hope lombardi gets his act together soon, I've yet to see him really even showcase his speed to be honest, he doesn't seem very fast at all. I'd say we have at least 5 or 6 guys that are faster than him

Old
04-11-2013, 03:44 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Lombardi line of Palmieri-Lombardi-Selanne scored the only goal yesterday.

Lombardi grabbed the puck behind the net, rushed it to almost defensive blueline, drawing few Avs on him, then he quickly passed the puck back to Beauch, who quickly found free Palmieri and passed the puck to him, then Palms passed the puck and Teemu deflected it.

It was the only thing i noticed on Lombardi in highlights. I think he really did well in that episode. How did he looke in other episodes?

Old
04-11-2013, 04:08 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Pretty non-existant. But at least he makes Teemu look great defensively...that's something.

He shouldn't play over Holland (and Dvorak), and I can't see him defending a spot on this team when Bonino gets healthy.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:22 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post

Lombardi grabbed the puck behind the net, rushed it to almost defensive blueline, drawing few Avs on him, then he quickly passed the puck back to Beauch, who quickly found free Palmieri and passed the puck to him, then Palms passed the puck and Teemu deflected it.

It was the only thing i noticed on Lombardi in highlights. I think he really did well in that episode. How did he looke in other episodes?

Meh. He's worse than I expected and I wasn't expecting much. I feel for the guy because he was a quality player before the concussion he got in Nashville but since then he has been a shell of his former self.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:24 AM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:

Probably because that was the only Anaheim highlight for that game lol.

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:24 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:

i dont see how thats highlight worthy, anyone else could've done that and most likely would've done that, it was our set breakout lol

but i guess thats partially the point of that being the only highlight for him... hes been awful.. multiple giveaways

Old
04-11-2013, 10:45 PM
GreatBear

So far, so bad. I haven't seen anything good from him. Let's hope that he improves as he gets more used to the team.

GreatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:13 AM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

This guy is not playing well at all, I hope Bonino gets healthy or someone else plays instead of him.

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:41 AM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

Very useless and soft. I don't see anything at all in him

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:35 AM
CrazyDuck4u

Give him a break guys.. hes learning a new system.. He was used to a defensive system in tippet, it takes time to adjust, its doesnt happen over night. I think lombardi is the perfect center for selanne.. He needs speed and lambo provides that.. This line is not a grinding line.. BB needs to keep that line away from big opposing forwards..I remember in the kings game.. The kings fourth line kept hemming them in..But in time.. This is trade will pay off... And Etem will have a great year next year lol..Sorry I know its OT but God I love that kid.

CrazyDuck4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

vCash: 50
I'm not so optimistic about him personally. Hope I'm wrong.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:48 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDuck4u View Post
Give him a break guys.. hes learning a new system.. He was used to a defensive system in tippet, it takes time to adjust, its doesnt happen over night. I think lombardi is the perfect center for selanne.. He needs speed and lambo provides that.. This line is not a grinding line.. BB needs to keep that line away from big opposing forwards..I remember in the kings game.. The kings fourth line kept hemming them in..But in time.. This is trade will pay off... And Etem will have a great year next year lol..Sorry I know its OT but God I love that kid.
and yet he seems to get worse every game.. he should at least be showing improvement then.. furthermore, his speed is supopsed to be his greatest asset but he hasn't looked fast at all.. he looks about as fast as belesky