HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2013, 02:37 PM
  #426
TamaTavares
Registered User
 
TamaTavares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
I'm 28 years old and I've never played ice hockey. I played a decent amount of roller hockey as a teen, either around the neighborhood or in a local league with my friends. I would be goalie sometimes and then when someone else wanted to be goalie, we'd switch and I'd be a wing.

I've been really itching to play rec hockey the last three years. I finally signed up for some skating classes and then I'm gonna take a beginner's ice hockey class or two before I join a local league. Now for my question...

When I watch hockey games, I can't help but stare at the goalies for most of the game. My eyes are just glued. It's a fascinating position and I would LOVE to be a goalie. Is it unrealistic for someone to just start playing goalie without much prior experience and expect to be the goalie on their rec league team? I'm not too sure how the system works and I'd like an idea what I'm in for before I start researching and buying equipment. The rec leagues around here that I will be joining have 3 different skill levels, so I will be starting out at the bottom. Is there a good chance there will still be someone in the beginner level that has been playing goalie for years and would be much more qualified than Iam? Should I put in a few seasons playing D and working on goaltending on the side before I try to be the goalie for a team? Thanks! My name is Mike by the way.

TamaTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:58 AM
  #427
redbranch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: bridgewater,nj
Country: United States
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
I found a local clinic on saturday nights that was finally exactly what I was looking for. Beginner skills, with explanations and helping hammer out weak spots. the clinic was an hour, but over two hours later, and the guy was still going, asking if there was anything else we wanted to try, or had questions about how to do. I can't wait to go again

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:02 AM
  #428
drivesrf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
I found a local clinic on saturday nights that was finally exactly what I was looking for. Beginner skills, with explanations and helping hammer out weak spots. the clinic was an hour, but over two hours later, and the guy was still going, asking if there was anything else we wanted to try, or had questions about how to do. I can't wait to go again
which rink?

drivesrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:05 AM
  #429
redbranch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: bridgewater,nj
Country: United States
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Aspen Ice, in Flemington NJ

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:10 PM
  #430
ganave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaTavares View Post
I'm 28 years old and I've never played ice hockey. I played a decent amount of roller hockey as a teen, either around the neighborhood or in a local league with my friends. I would be goalie sometimes and then when someone else wanted to be goalie, we'd switch and I'd be a wing.

I've been really itching to play rec hockey the last three years. I finally signed up for some skating classes and then I'm gonna take a beginner's ice hockey class or two before I join a local league. Now for my question...

When I watch hockey games, I can't help but stare at the goalies for most of the game. My eyes are just glued. It's a fascinating position and I would LOVE to be a goalie. Is it unrealistic for someone to just start playing goalie without much prior experience and expect to be the goalie on their rec league team? I'm not too sure how the system works and I'd like an idea what I'm in for before I start researching and buying equipment. The rec leagues around here that I will be joining have 3 different skill levels, so I will be starting out at the bottom. Is there a good chance there will still be someone in the beginner level that has been playing goalie for years and would be much more qualified than Iam? Should I put in a few seasons playing D and working on goaltending on the side before I try to be the goalie for a team? Thanks! My name is Mike by the way.
As someone who can't even really skate on player skates I'd say go for it. I had no desire to play outside of the net and I've enjoyed it so far. Before March of last year I had no proper ice-skating training (I can ski fairly well on the icy deathtraps in New Hampshire though) and I'm just barely able to play in a novice league. Although I'm working hard to improve my game.

The hardest part is the money for a goalie... I was lucky with my gear and it still ran over a grand. You'll want a new helmet and a new goalie jock, everything else you can get used. Honestly the toughest test was after I pieced together all of the gear and got in the net for the first time. Then you find out if you're willing to get in front of everything. As I improve I'm sure I'll get hit less in the kidneys, but I've laid by back to the shooter on a crappy rebound to make a save. If I was puck-shy after all that work I'd be pretty bummed.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:32 AM
  #431
TamaTavares
Registered User
 
TamaTavares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
As someone who can't even really skate on player skates I'd say go for it. I had no desire to play outside of the net and I've enjoyed it so far. Before March of last year I had no proper ice-skating training (I can ski fairly well on the icy deathtraps in New Hampshire though) and I'm just barely able to play in a novice league. Although I'm working hard to improve my game.

The hardest part is the money for a goalie... I was lucky with my gear and it still ran over a grand. You'll want a new helmet and a new goalie jock, everything else you can get used. Honestly the toughest test was after I pieced together all of the gear and got in the net for the first time. Then you find out if you're willing to get in front of everything. As I improve I'm sure I'll get hit less in the kidneys, but I've laid by back to the shooter on a crappy rebound to make a save. If I was puck-shy after all that work I'd be pretty bummed.
So did you join a league and just say you wanted to be the goalie? Is that basically how it works?

TamaTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:41 PM
  #432
ganave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaTavares View Post
So did you join a league and just say you wanted to be the goalie? Is that basically how it works?
Pretty much, it depends on the league. I play in the Stinkysocks league in the Boston area which is a really well run operation.

Here's my timeline....

Bought goalie skates and pants in March of 2012. Took skating lessons and generally got more comfortable on skates. By June/July of 2012 I had pieced together all my gear...

Undergarments
Goalie Jock
Goalie Skates
Kneepads
Goalie Pants
Throat guard
Leg Pads
Chest/Arm protector
Catcher
Blocker
2 Goalie sticks (I like wooden ones, for goalies it isn't as important as for skaters since we don't want flex)
Helmet (Get a new helmet)
Dangler
Giant Arse Bag that could fit two bodies

I started in an instructional league which is what you'd want to do. There are two unwritten rules in any instructional league or pick-up hockey.

1) Any goalie is better than an empty net. I don't have any experience at trying to snipe posts, but skaters would prefer the most green goalie in existence to shooting at a post.

2) Don't show up the goalie. Doing a bunch of dekes followed by a 360 spin just makes the skater look like an ass. Also if someone does that, I'll just grab my water bottle on their next run and give no f----s. They can shoot on an empty net if they want to be cute. I do appreciate really good shots, but if someone dekes the puck all the way into the crease I'm not going to poke-check them in practice. I don't want to hurt the guy. In a game, well, yeah, if I know I'm outmatched the poke-checks come into play and I'll play the puck and if I take out the skater that's hockey.

After the instructional league it is harder. I'm blessed with a good organization and they're really well run. There are a few ringers (who will hopefully get moved), but it's good to play in games that count. I'm horrid in practice even though I'm trying hard, but in games I'm much better because there aren't a million breakaways.

Good luck!

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:10 PM
  #433
Trl3789
Registered User
 
Trl3789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
I probably should have double checked this thread on top of reading all the other goalie posts before i made my thread

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:33 PM
  #434
Malarowski
Registered User
 
Malarowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
I found a local clinic on saturday nights that was finally exactly what I was looking for. Beginner skills, with explanations and helping hammer out weak spots. the clinic was an hour, but over two hours later, and the guy was still going, asking if there was anything else we wanted to try, or had questions about how to do. I can't wait to go again
Which rink was that if you don't mind me asking? I am living in the area and am looking for exactly that. I did the clinic at Floyd Hall at MSU, which was fun.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:49 PM
  #435
redbranch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: bridgewater,nj
Country: United States
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Aspen ice at flemington. I also do the instructional league at twin oaks. But that's more game experience.

Anything you'd like to share about Floyd? I was strongly considering trying that next

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:03 PM
  #436
Malarowski
Registered User
 
Malarowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Floyd is great. I usually skate at Chelsea Piers in NYC, but Floyd is a much nicer place imo. It's part of the University, so they keep it in good shape. The clinic I went to was great for stick/game skills. I was lacking skating ability back then, but it was a lot of fun. Some stick & puck exercises and then some 3/5 player drills, passing and scrimmage at the end. Lots of fun. Will check out Flemington in the future, still scoping the rinks around here. Feel free to PM me your email then we can take the local chat there.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:08 PM
  #437
reaper64
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
I'm 30 and am in the first few games of my first season in rec hockey out here in California. Yes, I jumped on the Kings bandwagon last year and that eventually lead to my wanting to play. I went to every clinic, puck play, and public session I could over the summer. I've played four games so far and it is the most fun I've ever had playing a sport. I played football into college, and nothing compares to hockey. Nothing.

reaper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:33 PM
  #438
AcidJazz
Registered User
 
AcidJazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: It's very cold here.
Country: Canada
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Hockey started very early for me. Learned to skate when I was 4 or 5, and played in an organized league from 6 to 14. I was both a goalie and a player, but I switched to player permanently, when they started raising the puck over my head (I was short).

I wasn't the best player, but I enjoyed the sport immensely. Then first year peewee started. Also first year of contact. I was about 5'0 and 95 lbs. Some of the players were already filled out and were basically man-children. As the story goes, I was basically crushed every game. I was the smallest out there and not the strongest on my feet so naturally, they were gunning for me the entire time. Needless to say, I didn't have a good year. The next year during try-outs, I realized nothing was different... I was the same height, same weight, and same skill level. There wasn't a non-contact league to join in my city, so I was stuck. I asked my dad what he thought. It was then they decided to pull me out before I got seriously hurt (which wasn't at easy decision for either of us). It turned out to be an okay decision as I excelled quite well in other other sports.

Fast forward to 28, I suffer a stroke while playing volleyball. Carotid artery was damaged from cracking my neck. My sense of balance was all out of wack and I couldn't walk. After months of rehab I started getting better. I started walking with a walker, then with a cane, then slow shuffle, then normal speed walk. After about 6 months, I could run and was about 95% back to normal. I couldn't return to the court, and the thought of volleyball was just too scary for me.

During Christmas that year, I stepped on to the ice for the first time in years and found I could still skate. The passion for hockey was back. Over the next couple of years, I starting playing pickup and more outdoor hockey. This year, I finally joined a beer league. I'm still rusty, but I'm now 5'10 and it's a non-contact league, so it's a lot different than my peewee days.

My dad is quite proud of me as he thought I'd never get back into the sport. My dad is a hockey fanatic. Has played AAA and University, so he was quite good back in the day. It was tough for him to pull me out of peewee, but I realize now it was the right decision at the time. I now go back home and we play on the same D line during his rec games. He's 67 so I don't know how many more years he has left playing, so it's nice that I could get out and play with him a few more times.


Last edited by AcidJazz: 03-01-2013 at 03:56 PM.
AcidJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:35 AM
  #439
ganave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Woot, first win!

Crazy fun game, final score was 4 to 3. It was 4 to 2 until the final minute, but given our team lost 7-2 in my debut and 8-0 last week when I was out. After the game someone on our team joked that I was Tim Thomas and came out of hiding in the woods. Our team definitely played much better as everyone had a small chip from dropping the first two games. (We play the same team each week).

The first period was pretty tight, I gave up the first goal on a 2-0 backdoor pass. Our team tied it up in the first period. I'm really, really, really, really, (okay stopping) new to goaltending. This was my second real game and I've only played in maybe 5 scrimmages. For the first time in my life playing sports I found the Zone. I'm not naturally gifted at sports, I'm just stubborn as all get out. With baseball, what I thought was the Zone was really just a brief flash. I actually entered the Zone without realizing it. I was wound up all day, but I arrived an hour before the game to get my gear on properly with plenty of time for adjustments.

The second period was pretty crazy. Our team got in two goals in really quick, but we had one penalty carry over for 1:45, on a 1-1 breakaway our defense dove for the puck and both guys got tripped up and crashed the net. The whistle was blown after I corralled the puck into a corner. I don't remember many of the saves, but I had great rebound control and any doubts that I had about a Hasek curve are gone. In between the first and second penalties they scored on a screen from the slot. I knew the shot was coming and went into a butterfly but it beat me on my blocker side over my pads. The other two penalties were killed thanks to AWESOME defense and my mad scrambling. After one sequence of 8 shots in the space of two minutes the ref said, wow, great job. The puck was flipped over the net at one point from one corner to a waiting winger who fired it, but I was there waiting for his shot.

The game was slowing in the third period. Each team had 9 skaters and one goalie, so people were beat, but the white team ramped it up. Defense was great again and I let in a goal with a minute to go, not sure I'd do anything else on a 3-0 breakaway. Their best player had the puck and I wanted to stay upright. He fired off a great wrist shot that beat me clean over my paddle from just outside poke-check range. At half a minute to go we had a face-off in our side and I think I was the only person on our team mumbling, c'mon, drop the puck already!

I'm beat, but I'm glad I started playing. I wouldn't have done it if not for all you great people on goaliecrease, on HFboards and goaliestorebb!

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:18 AM
  #440
ganave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidJazz View Post
My dad is quite proud of me as he thought I'd never get back into the sport. My dad is a hockey fanatic. Has played AAA and University, so he was quite good back in the day. It was tough for him to pull me out of peewee, but I realize now it was the right decision at the time. I now go back home and we play on the same D line during his rec games. He's 67 so I don't know how many more years he has left playing, so it's nice that I could get out and play with him a few more times.
I admit that until two years ago I wasn't a hockey fan (I live around Boston, so we had competition )

I really think that hockey may be the greatest sport. I'm a diehard baseball fan -- almost cult-like in my devotion. However, as a player, hockey is amazing because of its accessibility. I've never played a baseball game that had the same team spirit as the hockey team I play for. I still have a grin from letting the skaters know that I can give them a chance before the game started and delivering on it.

I can't believe that it took the first 30 years of my life to really find this sport. I kinda sorta want to play baseball again, but **** the feeling in the net... the sound of 24 blades churning up the ice...

I hope that some of my siblings take up the sport because I can't imagine how great it would be to play on the same team.

All of y'all are awesome!

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:52 AM
  #441
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 11,856
vCash: 50
I'm still waiting for my fuggin' discharge from my mandatory military services.

Can't play a single hockey game til then.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:47 PM
  #442
beth
Registered User
 
beth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 544
vCash: 500
Hey all, just thought I'd say hi! I'm always lurking in this thread, but I don't always have time to reply. Hopefully you all are having good seasons and learning a ton.

My daughter's house team that I coach for has ended their regular season in first place, and is headed to the playoffs. So proud of these kids. They are the sweetest bunch of peewees and they play together so well. My own season has been fun too, this year our league decided to play half the games as mixed-level teams and half as tiered teams. So really I have two teams at once.

The other news is that the association I coach for has given me and another female coach a lot of leeway to attract girls to the sport. Last weekend we hosted a Girls Try Hockey event and had over 30 girls come out. Pretty awesome! Hopefully my daughter won't be the only girl on her team next year.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:25 PM
  #443
jazzykat
Registered User
 
jazzykat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 389
vCash: 500
The right stiffness level of skate

Sorry. I posted my initial post in the wrong forum.

I learned to skate as an adult and play once or twice a week in a beer league. I played roller hockey for 2.5 years and am in my first year of beer league hockey.

As I read about the sport I realize there is a ton for me to learn and look forward to learning more here.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:31 AM
  #444
Curtinho
Spero Meliora
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,920
vCash: 500
Playing on my first team ever this summer (Bell Sensplex in Ottawa) and couldn't be more excited. Also, I played defence for the first time last night in pick-up and I loved it. Probably will try to get as much time playing defence as I can now.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:43 PM
  #445
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 4,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
I really think that hockey may be the greatest sport.
There's no thinking to do - it IS the greatest sport!

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 02:40 PM
  #446
ShootsWide
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Just got done with a 4 week beginner clinic at the the Irvine Inline rink. This is the only experience I have with playing the game. At the end of the 4 weeks one of the guys invited me to join their team. I felt pretty good about myself. My accuracy needs work and I am a decent skater. Im pretty excited, the season starts in 3 weeks. I already have a pair of gloves and a stick. Now I am just wondering about a few things. I see a lot of the people here play ice, so how well does all the advice transition to roller. And if I wear my soft boot inline blades, would it be ok or should I invest in some real hockey skates

ShootsWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:13 AM
  #447
gswift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Just wanted to post my thanks to everyone who contributes on this forum, I haven't played an organized game in 23 years, but recently had to buy new gear for a company game...all the info in the equipment buyers guide helped me with my purchases!!! I had a blast getting back out on the ice (Copps Coliseum, none the less).

gswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:13 PM
  #448
redbranch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: bridgewater,nj
Country: United States
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
scored my first goal in a league game (8th game I believe).
Came in the zone on the left wing without the puck and drove to the net. The right wing took a shot that rebounded right in front. I snagged the puck, stepped around the defender, and flipped it over the goalie's pads.

Felt gooood

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:27 AM
  #449
lo1ux
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Australia
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Hey guys and girls! Just got back from a trip to Canada about 3 weeks ago and was able to see a few NHL games whilst I was there and decided that when I came home I'd at least give ice skating a go.

Now being from Perth, Western Australia I'm about as far from the ice and snow (the reason I went to Canada) as you can possibly get. I was however surprised to find that we have 3 rinks here in town and that each rink has its own league...

Anyway I gave it a go and felt that this is something that I would most definitely enjoy, although I have size 15 feet and the rentals did not fit too well, so I made purchase of a new pair of CCM U+10's and they went well for the first few trips until all of a sudden I started getting some wicked pains in my lower shins where they where rubbing against the tongue of the skate. I tried all sorts of things to alleviate it and during the research I found that may skates may not be deep enough. I thought all was lost and I'd be up for a new set of skates but alas I came across one last useful bit of info posted by one of your members (beth) on how she had tied her laces. Using a variation of her lace tying I think I have managed to alleviate the pressure yet still keep the skate nice and tight on my foot. Happy days!

Enough of my rambling, the intention is to attend some learn to skate programs and then attend the learn to play hockey programs that the rink closest to me runs. I shall keep lurking around the forum taking in all the info I can.

lo1ux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:30 AM
  #450
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 13,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo1ux View Post
Hey guys and girls! Just got back from a trip to Canada about 3 weeks ago and was able to see a few NHL games whilst I was there and decided that when I came home I'd at least give ice skating a go.

Now being from Perth, Western Australia I'm about as far from the ice and snow (the reason I went to Canada) as you can possibly get. I was however surprised to find that we have 3 rinks here in town and that each rink has its own league...

Anyway I gave it a go and felt that this is something that I would most definitely enjoy, although I have size 15 feet and the rentals did not fit too well, so I made purchase of a new pair of CCM U+10's and they went well for the first few trips until all of a sudden I started getting some wicked pains in my lower shins where they where rubbing against the tongue of the skate. I tried all sorts of things to alleviate it and during the research I found that may skates may not be deep enough. I thought all was lost and I'd be up for a new set of skates but alas I came across one last useful bit of info posted by one of your members (beth) on how she had tied her laces. Using a variation of her lace tying I think I have managed to alleviate the pressure yet still keep the skate nice and tight on my foot. Happy days!

Enough of my rambling, the intention is to attend some learn to skate programs and then attend the learn to play hockey programs that the rink closest to me runs. I shall keep lurking around the forum taking in all the info I can.
You may be experiencing "lace bite". Friction causes inflammation. I get lace bite on a weekly basis. My ankles swell up pretty bad. I'm 26 and have been playing for 23 years and this is the first time I've ever had it, it can effect any player at any level. I wear extra socks and a tensor bandage. The better option is gels packs that attach to the back of the tongue, you can order them online. The way you tie the laces is obviously important too, I keep mine really loose around the ankles, for someone just starting out, you want them comfortable, but not too tight. I think tying them too tight is a mistake most beginners make. There needs to be some bend in the ankle.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.