HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver offered Luongo for Scrivens + two 2nd rounders.

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 04:02 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
Vancouver offered Luongo for Scrivens + two 2nd rounders.

As per Darren Dreger.

The Vancouver Canucks offered Roberto Luongo to Toronto for:

Ben Scrivens
2nd Round Pick (2013)
2nd Round Pick (2014)

Vancouver made three offers in the final hour of the trade deadline.

The Maple Leafs rejected all three.

What will his value be in the summer? If James Reimer falters between now and the end of the season, I think there is the possibility that Luongo replaces him. But how bad is the goalie market? Reimer would be attractive to a team like Winnipeg, if they feel like replacing Ondrej Pavelec. Reimer is a Manitoba native and a solid #1 goalie for a middle of the pack team, but still with some potential. He's only 25 years old.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:05 AM
polarbearcub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
As per Darren Dreger.

Ben Scrivens
2nd Round Pick (2013)
2nd Round Pick (2014)

What will his value be in the summer? If James Reimer falters between now and the end of the season, I think there is the possibility that Luongo replaces him. But how bad is the goalie market? Reimer would be attractive to a team like Winnipeg, if they feel like replacing Ondrej Pavelec. Reimer is a Manitoba native and a solid #1 goalie for a middle of the pack team, but still with some potential. He's only 25 years old.
After the initial anger and frustration of not being able to move lu, i've calmed down a bit and think the canucks could potentially get a better deal at the draft. It might be the best time to deal him then. Depending on how the canucks do in the playoffs, if they fail, they may make a bit of an overhaul.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:15 AM
Man Bear Pig

I like Luongo but I don't blame Nonis at all here for not taking the deal. Gillis kept calling back and lowering the offer, sounds pretty desperate from what the media has said. The contract is just so god awful.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:23 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Ben Scrivens
2nd Round Pick (2013)
2nd Round Pick (2014)
IF true, i'm kind of happy about this (non trade). It doesn't make us any better this year. It doesn't really make us any better next year.

It sucks for Lu a bit, but as far as the Canucks go, not so much. Even for him, would he prefer to start 10 games on the Leafs and potentially play-offs or 4-5 games on the Canucks and potentially play-offs? I don't think i'm too one-eyed in suggesting that he has a better chance to go further in the finals with us.

If we get a better return at the draft, great. If we get an equal return at the draft, no problem. If we get a worse return, so be it. No matter what happens he has to be off the books next year so he gets to start again and we get the cap space. I'm sure HF will go mental though.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:44 AM
Bismuth

vCash: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post
Even for him, would he prefer to start 10 games on the Leafs and potentially play-offs or 4-5 games on the Canucks and potentially play-offs?
I'm betting on the former, given his responses to the media today. The Canucks aren't his team and he's desperate to go to his new home and start fresh.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:01 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismuth View Post
I'm betting on the former, given his responses to the media today. The Canucks aren't his team and he's desperate to go to his new home and start fresh.
Prior to the start of the season he supposedly nixed a deal between the Canucks/Leafs. Obviously things can change, but I'm not sure how desperate he really is. It is bizarre that a team/player would actually hold a press conference for a non-trade though.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:04 AM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Prior to the start of the season he supposedly nixed a deal between the Canucks/Leafs. Obviously things can change, but I'm not sure how desperate he really is. It is bizarre that a team/player would actually hold a press conference for a non-trade though.
He said in his press conference, he never turned down any trade.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
He said in his press conference, he never turned down any trade.
I know, but there's been conflicting reports. Prior to the start of the season I could see why he would nix a deal. Just my opinion on speculation.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:15 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 2 - 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I know, but there's been conflicting reports.
Luongo said it himself.

Are they calling for Gillis' head yet? What a mess he's created.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:21 AM
DJOpus

Really I think the Canucks have to pray that Bishop for Tampa, Holtby from WAS, or Reimer from TO are really bad down the stretch here. Those are the best possible options this summer IMO.

I guess there's a chance that Miller gets moved in the summer making Buffalo a potential destination or something happens to Bryzgalov (buyout, hold-out+move to Russia) to open up some spots.

I have no problem with Luongo not being traded this deadline. It doesn't seem like we were going to get anything that could help us from trading him and we had cap available (Maholtra + Ballard could have gone on LTIR) so having Luongo didn't stop us from making any other moves.

Summer may see more suitors with compliance buyouts available and if not, we move him any way we can. Given that the ask was 2 x 2nds means that we should likely be able to move Luongo along if we need to as a worst case scenario (guys don't usually read the market so wrong that there was actually no interest at all).

Old
04-04-2013, 05:23 AM
tml145

MG made a mess of this

do Vancouver fans think MG will get a better offer in the summer?

Old
04-04-2013, 05:23 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
As per Darren Dreger.

Ben Scrivens
2nd Round Pick (2013)
2nd Round Pick (2014)

I don't see any team wanting Luongo unless the Canucks eat a portion of his salary. That's the reality of his contract.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:25 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
MG made a mess of this

do Vancouver fans think MG will get a better offer in the summer?
As far as we know, Canucks didnt even get an offer. It was MG making offers to Toronto. His ego got in the way, and his asking price was too high last summer. He didnt want to admit he had made a mistake on the contract, and getting low value back would be proof of that, so he held out, only to see the value drop more.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:26 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Teams aren't going to want to talk trades with Nonis if he constantly turns around and reveals the details to his cousin.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:28 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 2 - 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Teams aren't going to want to talk trades with Nonis if he constantly turns around and reveals the details to his cousin.
Any examples of this?

Old
04-04-2013, 05:28 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Really I think the Canucks have to pray that Bishop for Tampa, Holtby from WAS, or Reimer from TO are really bad down the stretch here. Those are the best possible options this summer IMO.

I guess there's a chance that Miller gets moved in the summer making Buffalo a potential destination or something happens to Bryzgalov (buyout, hold-out+move to Russia) to open up some spots.

I have no problem with Luongo not being traded this deadline. It doesn't seem like we were going to get anything that could help us from trading him and we had cap available (Maholtra + Ballard could have gone on LTIR) so having Luongo didn't stop us from making any other moves.

Summer may see more suitors with compliance buyouts available and if not, we move him any way we can. Given that the ask was 2 x 2nds means that we should likely be able to move Luongo along if we need to as a worst case scenario (guys don't usually read the market so wrong that there was actually no interest at all).
Washington has options, they still wouldn't go after Luongo, same for Tampa, they will either go with Lindback or Bishop, the situation there is that now they have 2 guys that want a #1 job and could battle it out and Toronto is better off going with Reimer, they have some other prospect (not Rynnas or Owuya) that is a guy maybe worth waiting for or signing a veteran in the summer.

What you forget is that there are options outside of Luongo and that horrible contract.

Backstrom
Khabibulin
Nabokov
Howard
Smith
Emery
Khudobin
Montoya

Might not be good options, but the thing is, they could sign them to a 1-2yr deal and not screw themselves with a long term contract like Luongo's.

The sooner Gillis realizes that, the sooner he can move Luongo and move forward and make-up for that contract. Until then, it's going to hang over his head and whether he, the media and the fans like to pretend it doesn't cause a situation with the goaltending, it does.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:29 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
I bet they still talk to Nonis.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:33 AM
NYVanfan

Quote:
That was my thought as well
Also that dreger revealed his true colours shilling this leafs swill, though it remains to be seen what impact it'll have on Luo's value in the summer. But with the amount of glee it seems to have caused hereabouts perhaps the intended result was acheived regardless..

Old
04-04-2013, 05:38 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Lol did Dreger report this with a smile on his face or what. He reminds me of that Randell on Recess always doing the supervision aids work for her, except in this case the aid is Nonis.

We will never get anything good for Luongo, Mike Gillis has lied and lied about this whole thing, 4 teams interested and so on, yeah right. To be so desperate he'd take a couple seconds is just hilarious. This is going to end in a buyout for sure and might cost Gillis his job if we don't win a few playoff rounds.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:43 AM
deftones1986

To PHI:

Luongo (25% off)

To VAN:

Couturier
2014 1st

PHI buys out Bryz and he goes to one of those 3 teams mentioned.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:48 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
What you forget is that there are options outside of Luongo and that horrible contract.
I'm not saying things actually will work out for the Canucks, I'm just suggesting they could.

If Bishop can't do well as a starter for the rest of the season, what are the odds that TBL doesn't just fire Yzerman? The guys has now traded 2 x 2nds + 3rd + 4th + Conacher for Lindback and Bishop. I think Bishop will be good but if he plays 10 games with a 0.90x save% or less, I think the team starts considering its options with its GM. Despite having Stamkos as a young superstar, the Lightning have a very good aging core which is having seasons wasted by terrible goaltending.

Honestly, I'm glad that this Luongo stuff will disappear for a while and as a fan I will almost certainly get to be enjoying playoff hockey.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:50 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Any examples of this?
In 2009 Snow was clearly angry, that Burke was so open with the Toronto press about potential NYI/Toronto trade talks. Snow keeps things very close to the vest.

He said something along the lines of 'that's not how we do things'.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:52 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones1986 View Post
To PHI:

Luongo (25% off)

To VAN:

Couturier
2014 1st

PHI buys out Bryz and he goes to one of those 3 teams mentioned.
The Flyers owner, probably has deeper pockets then Vancouver ownership.
They'd have no interest in trading Couts to save money on Luongo's contract.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:52 AM
tml145

LOL

Nonis is trolling Vancouver for firing him

Old
04-04-2013, 05:54 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I'm not saying things actually will work out for the Canucks, I'm just suggesting they could.

If Bishop can't do well as a starter for the rest of the season, what are the odds that TBL doesn't just fire Yzerman? The guys has now traded 2 x 2nds + 3rd + 4th + Conacher for Lindback and Bishop. I think Bishop will be good but if he plays 10 games with a 0.90x save% or less, I think the team starts considering its options with its GM. Despite having Stamkos as a young superstar, the Lightning have a very good aging core which is having seasons wasted by terrible goaltending.

Honestly, I'm glad that this Luongo stuff will disappear for a while and as a fan I will almost certainly get to be enjoying playoff hockey.
A team like Tampa can't take on Luongo's contract, that would get Yzerman fired as well. Bishop was a gamble, but Lindback hasn't been completely terrible either, behind that defense, not many goaltenders would put up good numbers. The problem isn't the offense or goaltending, it's the defense.

With a new coach, an off season to fix and remedy that situation, the team is going to be different. You are banking on the Lightning being desperate, if they were, they would have traded for Luongo already. Yzerman has given up a lot for Lindback and Bishop, he's going to wait until that avenue is completely exhausted before he goes after Luongo.

In any case, that's just free agents I mentioned, there are young goaltenders that could be had as well, this summer, Enroth might be available with the addition of Hackett, etc.

Whatever scenario plays out, a team is going to want the Canucks to eat a portion of his salary. It doesn't matter which players are involved, what is left out is that part. And it makes sense when you think about it.

Closed Thread