HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver offered Luongo for Scrivens + two 2nd rounders.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-04-2013, 04:02 AM
  #1
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.
 
Four1 Lead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YYZ
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,847
vCash: 500
Vancouver offered Luongo for Scrivens + two 2nd rounders.

As per Darren Dreger.

The Vancouver Canucks offered Roberto Luongo to Toronto for:

Ben Scrivens
2nd Round Pick (2013)
2nd Round Pick (2014)

Vancouver made three offers in the final hour of the trade deadline.

The Maple Leafs rejected all three.

What will his value be in the summer? If James Reimer falters between now and the end of the season, I think there is the possibility that Luongo replaces him. But how bad is the goalie market? Reimer would be attractive to a team like Winnipeg, if they feel like replacing Ondrej Pavelec. Reimer is a Manitoba native and a solid #1 goalie for a middle of the pack team, but still with some potential. He's only 25 years old.

Four1 Lead is online now  
Old
04-04-2013, 04:05 AM
  #2
polarbearcub
Registered User
 
polarbearcub's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
As per Darren Dreger.

The Vancouver Canucks offered Roberto Luongo to Toronto for:

Ben Scrivens
2nd Round Pick (2013)
2nd Round Pick (2014)

Vancouver made three offers in the final hour of the trade deadline.

The Maple Leafs rejected all three.

What will his value be in the summer? If James Reimer falters between now and the end of the season, I think there is the possibility that Luongo replaces him. But how bad is the goalie market? Reimer would be attractive to a team like Winnipeg, if they feel like replacing Ondrej Pavelec. Reimer is a Manitoba native and a solid #1 goalie for a middle of the pack team, but still with some potential. He's only 25 years old.
After the initial anger and frustration of not being able to move lu, i've calmed down a bit and think the canucks could potentially get a better deal at the draft. It might be the best time to deal him then. Depending on how the canucks do in the playoffs, if they fail, they may make a bit of an overhaul.

polarbearcub is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 04:15 AM
  #3
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
I like Luongo but I don't blame Nonis at all here for not taking the deal. Gillis kept calling back and lowering the offer, sounds pretty desperate from what the media has said. The contract is just so god awful.

Man Bear Pig is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 04:23 AM
  #4
Yossarian54
Registered User
 
Yossarian54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
Ben Scrivens
2nd Round Pick (2013)
2nd Round Pick (2014)
IF true, i'm kind of happy about this (non trade). It doesn't make us any better this year. It doesn't really make us any better next year.

It sucks for Lu a bit, but as far as the Canucks go, not so much. Even for him, would he prefer to start 10 games on the Leafs and potentially play-offs or 4-5 games on the Canucks and potentially play-offs? I don't think i'm too one-eyed in suggesting that he has a better chance to go further in the finals with us.

If we get a better return at the draft, great. If we get an equal return at the draft, no problem. If we get a worse return, so be it. No matter what happens he has to be off the books next year so he gets to start again and we get the cap space. I'm sure HF will go mental though.

Yossarian54 is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 04:44 AM
  #5
Bismuth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Point Roberts
Country: United States
Posts: 165
vCash: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post
Even for him, would he prefer to start 10 games on the Leafs and potentially play-offs or 4-5 games on the Canucks and potentially play-offs?
I'm betting on the former, given his responses to the media today. The Canucks aren't his team and he's desperate to go to his new home and start fresh.

Bismuth is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:01 AM
  #6
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismuth View Post
I'm betting on the former, given his responses to the media today. The Canucks aren't his team and he's desperate to go to his new home and start fresh.
Prior to the start of the season he supposedly nixed a deal between the Canucks/Leafs. Obviously things can change, but I'm not sure how desperate he really is. It is bizarre that a team/player would actually hold a press conference for a non-trade though.

Man Bear Pig is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:04 AM
  #7
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,226
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Prior to the start of the season he supposedly nixed a deal between the Canucks/Leafs. Obviously things can change, but I'm not sure how desperate he really is. It is bizarre that a team/player would actually hold a press conference for a non-trade though.
He said in his press conference, he never turned down any trade.

cyris is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:13 AM
  #8
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
He said in his press conference, he never turned down any trade.
I know, but there's been conflicting reports. Prior to the start of the season I could see why he would nix a deal. Just my opinion on speculation.

Man Bear Pig is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:15 AM
  #9
ACC1224
Steelers 2 - 2
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 28,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I know, but there's been conflicting reports.
Luongo said it himself.

Are they calling for Gillis' head yet? What a mess he's created.

ACC1224 is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:21 AM
  #10
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,760
vCash: 500
Really I think the Canucks have to pray that Bishop for Tampa, Holtby from WAS, or Reimer from TO are really bad down the stretch here. Those are the best possible options this summer IMO.

I guess there's a chance that Miller gets moved in the summer making Buffalo a potential destination or something happens to Bryzgalov (buyout, hold-out+move to Russia) to open up some spots.

I have no problem with Luongo not being traded this deadline. It doesn't seem like we were going to get anything that could help us from trading him and we had cap available (Maholtra + Ballard could have gone on LTIR) so having Luongo didn't stop us from making any other moves.

Summer may see more suitors with compliance buyouts available and if not, we move him any way we can. Given that the ask was 2 x 2nds means that we should likely be able to move Luongo along if we need to as a worst case scenario (guys don't usually read the market so wrong that there was actually no interest at all).

DJOpus is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:23 AM
  #11
tml145
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
MG made a mess of this

do Vancouver fans think MG will get a better offer in the summer?

tml145 is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:23 AM
  #12
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
As per Darren Dreger.

The Vancouver Canucks offered Roberto Luongo to Toronto for:

Ben Scrivens
2nd Round Pick (2013)
2nd Round Pick (2014)

Vancouver made three offers in the final hour of the trade deadline.

The Maple Leafs rejected all three.

What will his value be in the summer? If James Reimer falters between now and the end of the season, I think there is the possibility that Luongo replaces him. But how bad is the goalie market? Reimer would be attractive to a team like Winnipeg, if they feel like replacing Ondrej Pavelec. Reimer is a Manitoba native and a solid #1 goalie for a middle of the pack team, but still with some potential. He's only 25 years old.
I don't see any team wanting Luongo unless the Canucks eat a portion of his salary. That's the reality of his contract.

Honour Over Glory is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:25 AM
  #13
416Leafer
Registered User
 
416Leafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
MG made a mess of this

do Vancouver fans think MG will get a better offer in the summer?
As far as we know, Canucks didnt even get an offer. It was MG making offers to Toronto. His ego got in the way, and his asking price was too high last summer. He didnt want to admit he had made a mistake on the contract, and getting low value back would be proof of that, so he held out, only to see the value drop more.

416Leafer is online now  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:26 AM
  #14
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,757
vCash: 500
Teams aren't going to want to talk trades with Nonis if he constantly turns around and reveals the details to his cousin.

WJG is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:28 AM
  #15
ACC1224
Steelers 2 - 2
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 28,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Teams aren't going to want to talk trades with Nonis if he constantly turns around and reveals the details to his cousin.
Any examples of this?

ACC1224 is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:28 AM
  #16
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Really I think the Canucks have to pray that Bishop for Tampa, Holtby from WAS, or Reimer from TO are really bad down the stretch here. Those are the best possible options this summer IMO.

I guess there's a chance that Miller gets moved in the summer making Buffalo a potential destination or something happens to Bryzgalov (buyout, hold-out+move to Russia) to open up some spots.

I have no problem with Luongo not being traded this deadline. It doesn't seem like we were going to get anything that could help us from trading him and we had cap available (Maholtra + Ballard could have gone on LTIR) so having Luongo didn't stop us from making any other moves.

Summer may see more suitors with compliance buyouts available and if not, we move him any way we can. Given that the ask was 2 x 2nds means that we should likely be able to move Luongo along if we need to as a worst case scenario (guys don't usually read the market so wrong that there was actually no interest at all).
Washington has options, they still wouldn't go after Luongo, same for Tampa, they will either go with Lindback or Bishop, the situation there is that now they have 2 guys that want a #1 job and could battle it out and Toronto is better off going with Reimer, they have some other prospect (not Rynnas or Owuya) that is a guy maybe worth waiting for or signing a veteran in the summer.

What you forget is that there are options outside of Luongo and that horrible contract.

Backstrom
Khabibulin
Nabokov
Howard
Smith
Emery
Khudobin
Montoya

Might not be good options, but the thing is, they could sign them to a 1-2yr deal and not screw themselves with a long term contract like Luongo's.

The sooner Gillis realizes that, the sooner he can move Luongo and move forward and make-up for that contract. Until then, it's going to hang over his head and whether he, the media and the fans like to pretend it doesn't cause a situation with the goaltending, it does.

Honour Over Glory is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:29 AM
  #17
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Teams aren't going to want to talk trades with Nonis if he constantly turns around and reveals the details to his cousin.
I bet they still talk to Nonis.

Honour Over Glory is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:33 AM
  #18
NYVanfan
Registered User
 
NYVanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Teams aren't going to want to talk trades with Nonis if he constantly turns around and reveals the details to his cousin.
That was my thought as well
Also that dreger revealed his true colours shilling this leafs swill, though it remains to be seen what impact it'll have on Luo's value in the summer. But with the amount of glee it seems to have caused hereabouts perhaps the intended result was acheived regardless..

NYVanfan is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:38 AM
  #19
NugentHopkinsfan
Registered User
 
NugentHopkinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,087
vCash: 500
Lol did Dreger report this with a smile on his face or what. He reminds me of that Randell on Recess always doing the supervision aids work for her, except in this case the aid is Nonis.

We will never get anything good for Luongo, Mike Gillis has lied and lied about this whole thing, 4 teams interested and so on, yeah right. To be so desperate he'd take a couple seconds is just hilarious. This is going to end in a buyout for sure and might cost Gillis his job if we don't win a few playoff rounds.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:43 AM
  #20
deftones1986
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
To PHI:

Luongo (25% off)

To VAN:

Couturier
2014 1st

PHI buys out Bryz and he goes to one of those 3 teams mentioned.

deftones1986 is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:48 AM
  #21
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
What you forget is that there are options outside of Luongo and that horrible contract.
I'm not saying things actually will work out for the Canucks, I'm just suggesting they could.

If Bishop can't do well as a starter for the rest of the season, what are the odds that TBL doesn't just fire Yzerman? The guys has now traded 2 x 2nds + 3rd + 4th + Conacher for Lindback and Bishop. I think Bishop will be good but if he plays 10 games with a 0.90x save% or less, I think the team starts considering its options with its GM. Despite having Stamkos as a young superstar, the Lightning have a very good aging core which is having seasons wasted by terrible goaltending.

Honestly, I'm glad that this Luongo stuff will disappear for a while and as a fan I will almost certainly get to be enjoying playoff hockey.

DJOpus is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:50 AM
  #22
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Any examples of this?
In 2009 Snow was clearly angry, that Burke was so open with the Toronto press about potential NYI/Toronto trade talks. Snow keeps things very close to the vest.

He said something along the lines of 'that's not how we do things'.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:52 AM
  #23
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones1986 View Post
To PHI:

Luongo (25% off)

To VAN:

Couturier
2014 1st

PHI buys out Bryz and he goes to one of those 3 teams mentioned.
The Flyers owner, probably has deeper pockets then Vancouver ownership.
They'd have no interest in trading Couts to save money on Luongo's contract.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:52 AM
  #24
tml145
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
LOL

Nonis is trolling Vancouver for firing him

tml145 is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 05:54 AM
  #25
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I'm not saying things actually will work out for the Canucks, I'm just suggesting they could.

If Bishop can't do well as a starter for the rest of the season, what are the odds that TBL doesn't just fire Yzerman? The guys has now traded 2 x 2nds + 3rd + 4th + Conacher for Lindback and Bishop. I think Bishop will be good but if he plays 10 games with a 0.90x save% or less, I think the team starts considering its options with its GM. Despite having Stamkos as a young superstar, the Lightning have a very good aging core which is having seasons wasted by terrible goaltending.

Honestly, I'm glad that this Luongo stuff will disappear for a while and as a fan I will almost certainly get to be enjoying playoff hockey.
A team like Tampa can't take on Luongo's contract, that would get Yzerman fired as well. Bishop was a gamble, but Lindback hasn't been completely terrible either, behind that defense, not many goaltenders would put up good numbers. The problem isn't the offense or goaltending, it's the defense.

With a new coach, an off season to fix and remedy that situation, the team is going to be different. You are banking on the Lightning being desperate, if they were, they would have traded for Luongo already. Yzerman has given up a lot for Lindback and Bishop, he's going to wait until that avenue is completely exhausted before he goes after Luongo.

In any case, that's just free agents I mentioned, there are young goaltenders that could be had as well, this summer, Enroth might be available with the addition of Hackett, etc.

Whatever scenario plays out, a team is going to want the Canucks to eat a portion of his salary. It doesn't matter which players are involved, what is left out is that part. And it makes sense when you think about it.

Honour Over Glory is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.