HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins @ Rangers 4/3/13 - Byron Boy's JAM Session!

View Poll Results: Three Stars of the Game?
Ryane Clowe 252 96.92%
Derick Brassard 230 88.46%
John Moore 57 21.92%
Henrik Lundqvist 33 12.69%
Martin Biron 4 1.54%
Carl Hagelin 2 0.77%
Byron Boy 131 50.38%
Rick Nash 2 0.77%
Anton Stralman 3 1.15%
Ryan McDonagh 11 4.23%
Dan Girardi 4 1.54%
Taylor Pyatt 2 0.77%
Ryan Callahan 2 0.77%
Brad Richards 21 8.08%
Derek Stepan 10 3.85%
Steve Eminger 1 0.38%
Michael Del Zotto 2 0.77%
Darroll Powe 4 1.54%
Arron Asham 3 1.15%
Mats Zuccarello 7 2.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-04-2013, 12:16 AM
shinchanyo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Like him too much? No. I think he's a solid 4th liner who can fill in on the 3rd line. I merely don't hate him like some people on here irrationally do.
You definitely like him a LOT. I saw you defending him tirelessely early in the season and I believe I was right there with you but his detractors were right he did not come to play this season he had an AWESOME game today though. But it's just like with that idiot Sather I won't forget what came before just because of one night. Boyle has had 2 average-great years with us. this one year his game fell off a lot yet he still brings a lot to the table and I'm glad to have him going forward because I think he'll get it righted.

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:17 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
It was a fun game. Most goals scored by the Rangers all year. Kind of weird and trippy when you think about guys like Nash or Hags with no points in such a high scoring game because all of our points were pretty much coming from Brian Boyle and literally every new guy we just acquired. (most of whom came just hours before the puck dropped) It was a surreal game to say the least, and certainly a game to be excited about. But...now that we have all had time to run around and celebrate, there is a playoff to clinch and a cup to go after. I like the hustle these guys bring and I certainly hope Clowe is reignited by this game and carries it further into the games ahead. I also hope Brassard comes out of his shell a little bit now and perhaps becomes a little more of the player he was supposed to be 4 years ago.

We're all a little bit stunned by this trade, almost like hoping a crazy girlfriend would just up and leave us alone and when she finally does we find ourselves missing her or feeling we didn't get the closure we deserved. I think the return was just fine for Gabs, and I would have personally liked to see a 1st coming back but hey, we filled some holes, and now we moved forward to try to find out what type of team we can become now. A lot of us (including myself) go a little overboard clamoring for any kind of positive factor that we can to justify the Gaborik trade in being a win for us. Tonight definitely helped that out seeing as every new guy we brought in who played scored a goal and got points in bunches.

We have the grit we need. We have the "jam". We can certainly find the scoring (although don't get used to it) The Pens team tonight was horrendous and certainly not the team they have been all season. I think Friday will be a good test for us to see what we're made of.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Joey Bones

Okay I may sound like that I wasn't loyal to the team, but I missed the game to go see the Mets. That's right..... The New York Mets! I definitely thought that NYR was going to lose (especially trading Gabbs on the night we play the powerhouse Penguins). So after sitting for 3 grueling, bitter cold hours the Mets came out with the win and the whole time I was thinking that "Oh great now I'm going to go home & cry because the Rangers lost again to these pains in the ass in Pittsburgh!"

All I have to say now is....... WTF?!?!?!?! Very satisfying to here that Clowe, Brass, and who that big guy that wears #22. Brian Boyle? What?!!! This is going to be a huge rest of the season for us. Congrats on the win boys and go get 'em again Friday!!

Edit: Just watched the highlights & holy f***ing t**s!!!!! Brass with beauties of assists & loved the 1st Clowe goal. Hope this will be every night!!!

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:35 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

wtf ... and no rangers in 60?

04-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
wtf ... and no rangers in 60?
b/c of NBC?

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:46 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Who did we get #22 from?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:50 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

What is this "depth" you speak of?!?

Clowe's a gamer.

Brassard is silky smooth.

Moore is solid.

Almost feels like a real hockey team again. Hopefully they keep it up. Boyle played like a guy with a large weight off his shoulders. He was probably scared as **** of being traded.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:51 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Watching the game now and thinking about the first night Dave Debusschere played for the Knicks after a trade with Detroit. You young guys can look that one up. And here's a tip -- it had a very happy ending.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:00 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Disagree on Brassard. He's not the smartest player, but that doesn't mean he can't be effective in the right role. I think he fit in nicely on the third line, and, of course, he looked creative on the PP. He obviously has some fantastic vision on the ice. He adds skill and speed through the neutral zone, and speed at center. This team has lacked speed through the neutral zone and on the rush all season.

Play him decent minutes at even strength. Let him work his offensive skills on the PP. That's all this team needs to get from Brassard, and it makes them deeper. Who says a 3rd C has to be a "shutdown" center? He's a skilled player, and generally, the best teams have skill on all 3 lines.

By the way, I think Richards is an ideal mentor for Brassard. Brassard emulated Richards a little, tonight. Obviously the sample size is tiny, but he's always had flashes. Change of scenery and playing under a center like Richards could potentially lead to a change in his performance, long term.

Personally, I've liked both these deals since they were announced, so you can't throw me into the "bi-polar" crowd. I had certain expectations as to what these players would bring to the lineup, and they brought it. Hopefully they can continue to do so. No need to be such a debbie downer about it. If all hell breaks lose, hey, let me know, and I'll take my serving of crow.
See my thoughts in the Brassard thread about his hockey IQ, but I agree with you about Richards. Like I said in the other thread, I think this team has positive influences. But that doesn't always work. And you know what, Brassard got every opportunity in Columbus, he had a chance to play with a star goalscorer in Nash, and he had one of the better coaches in the league working with him in Hitch.

You and anyone else can call me a debbie downer, but I have always praised moves that I thought were positive, and there have been many over the last few years. I just can't stand some of the fundamental, big picture decisions this franchise makes, because they make the same mistakes over and over and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Well I guess it was coincidental that it occurred immediately after he scored his goal.
Pretty sure I made the same point about him being good enough to play for a better team as soon as he was claimed, and probably again after that and before that goal. The goal did serve to emphasize the point, though.

I think he picked up an assist tonight, too.

Quote:
Yep, and far more teams higher in the standings thought they'd rather not.
Probably because most of the top teams in the league already had their 4th line center situation figured out. Or maybe faceoffs aren't an issue for them. Makes sense that if one top team might still have needed to figure something like that out, it'd be a team that probably didn't expect to find itself so high in the standings like Montreal.

Quote:
Come on, an elite mind like you?

Obviously I found it ironic you were objecting to people gloating over Boyle performance while you where gloating over Halpern's. That was of course back when I thought that was indeed what you were doing.
How would it be ironic? It doesn't take an elite mind to figure out
that this season, one player has been consistently above average for his role and cap hit, while the other has been woefully below average for his.

Quote:
Why is it that when you mention Halpern you fawn over his faceoff ability, but when never mention it in regards to Boyle?

Rhetorical question.
It might be rhetorical, but it isn't accurate. Never denied that Boyle is a good faceoff man. But his cap hit is $1.7 million. That's a waste of budget space, and when you have a very expensive goalie and are then overpaying Richards and Nash, you should be focused on conserving cap space whenever possible.

Maybe he'll work out as 3rd line RW if that is where they keep him, but he sucks as the 3rd line C. So if he's going to be the 4th line C, why not just keep Halpern who makes a lot less and does the same job, just better and more consistently?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:01 AM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
I usually reserve such bold statements. I'm gonna go out on a gut limb here. If Staal comes back healthy, I think this team wins the cup this year.

A little bit of background about me:

-I'm a libra.
-6 foot.
-Still unable to grow a thick mustache.
-Not delusional/psychopathic.
-Predicted we'd trade for Nash 2 offseasons go.
-Predicted we'd trade for Clowe at last year's deadline.

So yea. You heard it here first.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:17 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
I usually reserve such bold statements. I'm gonna go out on a gut limb here. If Staal comes back healthy, I think this team wins the cup this year.

A little bit of background about me:

-I'm a libra.
-6 foot.
-Still unable to grow a thick mustache.
-Not delusional/psychopathic.
-Predicted we'd trade for Nash 2 offseasons go.
-Predicted we'd trade for Clowe at last year's deadline.

So yea. You heard it here first.

meh.....for the Rangers to win the cup....

1)Henrik Lundqvist is going to have to be better than he's ever been.....which is saying something.

2)Staal will have to get healthy. MDZ, Girardi, and MCD will all have to raise their level of play, which is already at a high level.

3)Nash & Richards are going to have to be PPG+ players.

4)Stepan, Callahan, Hagelin, Brassard, Clowe are all going to have to produce at the levels they are capable of (ie, can't go ice cold).

it's a lot to happen.....the East is tough this year, Pittsburgh, Boston and Montreal are really good teams. Frankly, if we can avoid playing Pitt or Montreal in the playoffs, we'll have a chance. Montreal is a nightmare matchup for us. fast waterbugs are tough against a slowish team like us.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
meh.....for the Rangers to win the cup....

1)Henrik Lundqvist is going to have to be better than he's ever been.....which is saying something.

2)Staal will have to get healthy. MDZ, Girardi, and MCD will all have to raise their level of play, which is already at a high level.

3)Nash & Richards are going to have to be PPG+ players.

4)Stepan, Callahan, Hagelin, Brassard, Clowe are all going to have to produce at the levels they are capable of (ie, can't go ice cold).

it's a lot to happen.....the East is tough this year, Pittsburgh, Boston and Montreal are really good teams. Frankly, if we can avoid playing Pitt or Montreal in the playoffs, we'll have a chance. Montreal is a nightmare matchup for us. fast waterbugs are tough against a slowish team like us.
Good call, they're my pick for the Conference winner.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:28 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id like to see Bawstun and Montreal play each other in the first round....isn't going to happen, but would be a fun matchup.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:41 AM
Sticky Fingers

Sooooo, it was Gaborik holding back Boyle's produktion and not the other way around

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:59 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
Sooooo, it was Gaborik holding back Boyle's produktion and not the other way around
I think we had so many new guys in the line-up that Torts yet had not had the time to screw them up.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:12 AM
TriFF51
USA Hockey

So crazy all 3 new guys scored haha...And im sure it's been mentioned, but it's funny how Torts told the guys don't worry about the system tonight just go out and play and they tear it up. F the system!!!

TriFF51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:13 AM
gravey9

How do we score 6 goals...3 on the PP, and not 1 goal for Nash, Richards, Stepan, Hags, Zucc, Del Zotto? Nothing even close to that has happened all season, has it?

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:26 AM
mike14

Really fun game to watch (once I finally got home). Great to see the new guys play well and all Rangers put in 60 mins worth of effort.

You can't read too much into a single game, especially when there are that many new faces on each side, but you should always enjoy big wins when they come along

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:53 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Crosby or no Crosby, that team always finds a way to humiliate us or make the games fairly even. Today was a game that I have not seen a long time from the Rangers and that was complete domination of the Penguins.

I've been saying it for eons: you want to get under a fast team's skin? Hit 'em. When you do that, hit 'em again, and with that roster that Pittsburgh has, one of them is bound to go haywire: Neal, Malkin, Crosby, Cooke.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:59 AM
mike14

does anyone else find it a bit odd (and sad) that in 1 game our new LW matched the season point total of our rookie LW and our new C did the same with our rookie C?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:01 AM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 400
Anyone know where I can catch the game? Maybe online or something? Cuz MSG isn't playing Rangers in 60.

5 4 Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:06 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
does anyone else find it a bit odd (and sad) that in 1 game our new LW matched the season point total of our rookie LW and our new C did the same with our rookie C?
Why is it odd or sad? Clowe and Brassard had big games. Miller and Kreider are kids with bright futures. Miller probably shouldn't have been up to start with. Kreider is better off in Hartford than having Torts screw with his confidence.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:18 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Man In View Post
Anyone know where I can catch the game? Maybe online or something? Cuz MSG isn't playing Rangers in 60.
3pm today on NHL Network is probably your best and only chance.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:29 AM
Swedish Fish
CONQUERED

That was one of the most satisfying games I have ever watched.

Swedish Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:31 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Why is it odd or sad? Clowe and Brassard had big games. Miller and Kreider are kids with bright futures. Miller probably shouldn't have been up to start with. Kreider is better off in Hartford than having Torts screw with his confidence.
He wasn't ready when he came up, plain and simple. Neither was Miller, but despite being a turnover machine, at least the effort was there.

Kreider was probably the one most in need of pre season training to learn the system. Half of the posters around here had him pinned as a +50 points player, but big guys take time to adjust. And he did look better after his second call-up. Him being slowly adjusted to the big league is not a bad thing, keeping him up when he's not performing would be worse for his confidence. Now he get time to work on specific parts of his game off stage. And hopefully he will take another step in his progress to become the player we all think and want him to be, come playoff time.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote