HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Anders Lee on HockeyFuture Today (Signed 2 year ELC)

Old
04-02-2013, 08:22 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post

Lee shows he can leave the urinal without wet socks, he's a MAJOR upgrade over Nino.....
That may be my new favorite expression

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:41 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
The best thing Lee could do is too use his size..Play physical, dont take stupid penalties, and go to the net....

All the other things will fall into place...
Its so simple, this is what your told from 5 years old on...but how many players actually play like this? Its unbelievable how many miss the basics

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:48 AM
leeroggy

Quote:
The best thing Lee could do is too use his size..Play physical, dont take stupid penalties, and go to the net....

When you watch the college games he played he played physical in two of the three ways you noted. He was NOT a banger, he used his size on his play in front of the net, just like Tim Kerr did. He is not a Lucic type and it is asking him too much to become one. This team could use a Kerr-like presence in front of the net. Whether he can play that way with JT and MM is difficult to see since MM already plays that role. Better he plays with Aucoin to start, with the idea that he makes a terrific fit with Strome down the line. Nino might well fit nicely with them too - a playmaking center with a sniping right wing and a front of the net left wing.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:47 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
When you watch the college games he played he played physical in two of the three ways you noted. He was NOT a banger, he used his size on his play in front of the net, just like Tim Kerr did. He is not a Lucic type and it is asking him too much to become one. This team could use a Kerr-like presence in front of the net. Whether he can play that way with JT and MM is difficult to see since MM already plays that role. Better he plays with Aucoin to start, with the idea that he makes a terrific fit with Strome down the line. Nino might well fit nicely with them too - a playmaking center with a sniping right wing and a front of the net left wing.
Which college games you watch? Michigan and St Cloud ST? In that case you are not wrong. I have watched this kid for a few years, he most certainly does initiate contact and finish checks. Depends on his role, he was asked to center a line this season with two guys, Rust and Costello cruising down the boards hitting everything in sight. Lee was a middle of the ice type guy this year, though he did plenty of work in the corners (not many guys wanted anything to do with him in the corners). THAT is the 4th area of physical play that hasn't been discussed (Corners/Boards puck possession battles) it may very well be his BEST attribute, even more so than his high level of skill in front of the net. He isn't a heat seeking missile like Martin looking to destroy everyone, but if Anders plays the wing, you will see more body checks from him. Either way, he will be a huge step up in physical play from what the current roster is.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 02:42 PM
BillD

Quote:

That is his game. The players are bigger, faster, stronger in the NHL but he is equiped with the size and strength to be able to play his game here as well.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 03:44 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Lee was a middle of the ice type guy this year, though he did plenty of work in the corners (not many guys wanted anything to do with him in the corners). THAT is the 4th area of physical play that hasn't been discussed (Corners/Boards puck possession battles) it may very well be his BEST attribute, even more so than his high level of skill in front of the net. He isn't a heat seeking missile like Martin looking to destroy everyone, but if Anders plays the wing, you will see more body checks from him. Either way, he will be a huge step up in physical play from what the current roster is.
agree with this. In College, he plays a bit more of an offensive role. He's got above-average hockey sense, good passer, good shot but he doesn't play a fierce, hard-hitting game. He does have the size and plays an NHL-style game though, but he'd have to adjust to the speed of the game, for sure.

I'd put him in the line-up ASAP because I think he adds elements that the Islanders desperately lack.

I'm not worried about Lee because he's physically mature, has improved his skating and works hard at both ends of the rink - he's not the type of player who hurts you if he isn't scoring. While we probably won't see the offense right away, he'll definitely play a noticeable game out there - he's not a perimeter player.

I have always projected Lee to be a Matt Martin TYPE player but less about big hits and more cycling, winning puck battles and strong play in front of the net. The Islanders lack this type of player big time.

I'd add Joensuu and Lee ahead of Aucoin and Reasoner in a second! Two big bodies that can win puck battles are exactly what the Islanders lack.

Moulson - Tavares - Martin
Lee - Bailey - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - McDonald
Joensuu - Cizikas - Boyes

size, toughness, scoring, defense on all four lines.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:26 AM
19NYSports91

I think we should call Anders Lee "Ders" for now. Workaholics.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:32 AM
InformTheMasses

Lol. I have been calling him and anders Nilsson ders for a while. Love workaholics. Anders Lee pronounces it ANNE-ders. Anders Nilsson pronounced ON-ders. Nilsson has a hard on. (Workaholics). You'll get the reference if you have seen that episode

Old
04-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Chardo

He replaced Reasoner in the lineup. It took him four shifts to score more goals than Reasoner has all year.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:29 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
+1

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:56 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
He replaced Reasoner in the lineup. It took him four shifts to score more goals than Reasoner has all year.
Reasoner is way better defensively though, way better. I was nervous whenever Lee was on the ice, he's just not that good yet. Not in a playoff race.

But I do think he'll get better, fast. It was his FIRST GAME and a CRUCIAL one - I'm generally happy that he was in the lineup. I'd like to see him play more physical (on his first shift he ran over Wellwood, for example) and a more simplified fore-checking game but I'm sure that will come.

He still adds more than Reasoner does and Lee will improve, while Reasoner will not.

Though, I have a feeling Cappy will sit Lee and play Reasoner the next game.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Reasoner is way better defensively though, way better. I was nervous whenever Lee was on the ice, he's just not that good yet. Not in a playoff race.

But I do think he'll get better, fast. It was his FIRST GAME and a CRUCIAL one - I'm generally happy that he was in the lineup. I'd like to see him play more physical (on his first shift he ran over Wellwood, for example) and a more simplified fore-checking game but I'm sure that will come.

He still adds more than Reasoner does and Lee will improve, while Reasoner will not.

Agree pretty much with every thing.. Noticed Lee looked a little out of place a few times in his positioning in both ends. Needs to adjust to NHL.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:34 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Agree pretty much with every thing.. Noticed Lee looked a little out of place a few times in his positioning in both ends. Needs to adjust to NHL.
Well, he does have to adjust since he played center and is now playing LW.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:51 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
That may be my new favorite expression
TY.....it just came to me typing that line. All I had to think of was watching Nino {our star Calder Cup, Richard Trophy winning 1st liner Cappy refused to use on JT's line} last year.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:54 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
I'm very sympathetic to the "you have to earn it" mentality. But I don't think it should be taken to extremes. Lee is 22 and less than a year younger than Bailey and Martin. They've taken their time with his development. There are generally 3 factors determining whether a player is ready:

*physical maturity: Lee is instantly one of the Isles' biggest forwards;
*mental/emotional maturity: all indications are that Lee, ND's captain, is a mature, level-headed kid;
*ability to process and keep up at NHL level: this is the big one. But considering the Isles' crop of forwards, if he subs for some of the top 6 (or 9) forwards (eg., Boyes) will there be a dropoff in defensive ability? Physical presence, work along the walls or net-crashing? IMO Lee could potentially add to the top 6 or 9 right now.

The Isles have been scouting him. They know where he's at. Maybe it's time to throw him in and see what he can do, and maybe that means splitting time between a couple of lines. I'm okay with 4th line, but I'd rather seen them spread the grit around on all 4 lines rather than concentrating it on one line.
The throw in him and see what he can do will show one thing: If he's really good on line 4, we should try him on line 3 or on the power play. If he shines, try him line 2 and maybe an odd shift on line 1. If he takes it, it's earned. If not, it's your typical New York Islander marketing ploy/dreamy prospect destruction.

He's gotta play NHL players and do well. No book, scouting, stats or anything else will sway me otherwise. The goal is to win hockey games, not see if a prospect will pan out.

Just my take.

We agree on spreading out the grit, but I'd caution over the using Lee to show grit before we demand three zone responsibility and ability to keep up. When he can, I hope to hell he steps it up and hits.

Maybe hit Moulson during a game, even.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:17 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
what...........there arent enough stupid nick names for the players already?

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:43 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:

Agree 100%, and I'm actually glad Anders was exposed twice in his first game, making it very clear how important defense is and how much he needs to work on it.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:26 AM
leaponover

Yet he was voted number 1 star by fans even though you could see the mistakes he made on defense leading to two goals?

HF boards, where logic goes to die....

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:40 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Yet he was voted number 1 star by fans even though you could see the mistakes he made on defense leading to two goals?

Please. Isles fans are allowed to feel good and reward one of our better prospects by voting for him in a meaningless poll, after he scored his first NHL goal in his first NHL game. Anyone who watched the game knows he blew it on both of Postma's goals.

Not everything needs to be a big deal.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:26 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post

He had one practice, ONE. You think he learned a seasons worth of defensive scheme in one practice? The guy played Center all season for Notre Dame and earlier this week was playing in that system against St Cloud St. in the NCAA Tournament. He's supposed to sign the contract with the Islanders and the second the ink dries be all knowing of the Islanders defensive scheme at a new position. Yeah right, get real. You are right about one thing though, HF Boards are where logic goes to die.

Lee is actually a decent defensive player, not a selke guy but not Matt Moulson or Brad Boyes either. Give him more than a day.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:35 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
He had one practice, ONE. You think he learned a seasons worth of defensive scheme in one practice? The guy played Center all season for Notre Dame and earlier this week was playing in that system against St Cloud St. in the NCAA Tournament. He's supposed to sign the contract with the Islanders and the second the ink dries be all knowing of the Islanders defensive scheme at a new position. Yeah right, get real. You are right about one thing though, HF Boards are where logic goes to die.

Lee is actually a decent defensive player, not a selke guy but not Matt Moulson or Brad Boyes either. Give him more than a day.
I'm sure adjusting to the 4th line from the 1st line can take some time too. People don't get that those players will have to change their roles from the 1st to the 4th line.

Last edited by 19NYSports91: 04-04-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old
04-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Lol. I have been calling him and anders Nilsson ders for a while. Love workaholics. Anders Lee pronounces it ANNE-ders. Anders Nilsson pronounced ON-ders. Nilsson has a hard on. (Workaholics). You'll get the reference if you have seen that episode
No, Anders doesn't pronounces On-ders. More like Ann-ders.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:05 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Agree 100%, and I'm actually glad Anders was exposed twice in his first game, making it very clear how important defense is and how much he needs to work on it.
Defense is crucial to winning, especially as the games get tougher in the final stretch and playoffs. Isles have been playing much better defensively of late: 10-1-1 since March 1st when allowing three goals or less and 0-4 when allowing 4+.

That's the reason why they are close to a playoff spot.

And this is over a time when Tavares hasn't been great and the first line overall has been horrible.

And although Reasoner would miss a breakaway with the goalie pulled, he does do a very nice job without the puck. This is where it's tough for Cappy to make the case of "experimenting" with Lee/Joensuu/Ullstrom versus going with what he knows in Aucoin/Reasoner/Boulton.

Not saying I agree but I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Please. Isles fans are allowed to feel good and reward one of our better prospects by voting for him in a meaningless poll, after he scored his first NHL goal in his first NHL game. Anyone who watched the game knows he blew it on both of Postma's goals.
Agree with this. We can separate a "feel good" gesture which is appropriate from evaluating every move Lee makes on the ice. It was a nice debut for him, under the circumstances. He's a nice prospect, brings a lot to the table and he scored on his first shot, played a regular shift.

Sure he made mistakes but so do Moulson, Boyes, Streit, Hamonic, MacDonald and a bunch more players.

Lee's facing size, speed, talent that he's never faced before. Time to adjust our expectations.

Galchenyuk has two assists in his last 28 games. Young superstars struggle in their first NHL seasons - it's a fact. Lee did better than I expected.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:34 PM
doublechili

vCash: 350
Quote:
Defense is crucial to winning, especially as the games get tougher in the final stretch and playoffs. Isles have been playing much better defensively of late: 10-1-1 since March 1st when allowing three goals or less and 0-4 when allowing 4+.

That's the reason why they are close to a playoff spot.

And this is over a time when Tavares hasn't been great and the first line overall has been horrible.

And although Reasoner would miss a breakaway with the goalie pulled, he does do a very nice job without the puck. This is where it's tough for Cappy to make the case of "experimenting" with Lee/Joensuu/Ullstrom versus going with what he knows in Aucoin/Reasoner/Boulton.

Not saying I agree but I understand.

Agree with this. We can separate a "feel good" gesture which is appropriate from evaluating every move Lee makes on the ice. It was a nice debut for him, under the circumstances. He's a nice prospect, brings a lot to the table and he scored on his first shot, played a regular shift.

Sure he made mistakes but so do Moulson, Boyes, Streit, Hamonic, MacDonald and a bunch more players.

Lee's facing size, speed, talent that he's never faced before. Time to adjust our expectations.

Galchenyuk has two assists in his last 28 games. Young superstars struggle in their first NHL seasons - it's a fact. Lee did better than I expected.
Probably the best reason to try him on JT's wing: his rookie defensive shortcomings can't be much worse than what we already see from Moulson or Boyes.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:59 PM
duster19

Lee needs worj. I thought the game looked to quick for him. Hopefully he will adjust. If he continues to play like he did game 1 he will end up scratched or in BP. IMO, Ullstrom looked the better player

duster19 is online now   Reply With Quote