HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver offered Luongo for Scrivens + two 2nd rounders.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-04-2013, 06:28 AM
  #51
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
What do you expect? it's the biggest market in the league. So only Dreger talks about the Leafs? Honestly, how reliable is he anymore? Mckenzie is the only concrete guy around. The rest are just speculators. People outside of Toronto get pissed anytime Toronto is mentioned. There's always going to be bias in the media. People out west hate Dreger? that's fine, I gotta listen to Hughson. Bias is everywhere, time to get over it.
I find it odd that we as Leaf fans and the Leafs themselves are being slammed for this. Where did the report about Luongo not waiving for TO early on come from? Where did Gillis' "mystery team" report come from? Where did the "there are multiple teams interested" reports come from?

With the way Gillis handled this, is it really inconcievable to think he wouldn't leak this just so he can say "see, i tried to move him for nothing and still couldn't". Hell, he and Luongo said opposite things on there pressers....Luongo stating his contract sucks and he was never asked to waive.....Gillis said the contract wasn't an issue and the NTC was.

If it's true that the reported offer was turned down, seems to me, Gillis has been using TO to create a non existant market and TO was never really interested.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:33 AM
  #52
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Holy crap, re-read the freaking post. He's talking about how in 2009, Snow was mad at Burke, it's about how Burke talked about a trade, now people are saying Nonis did the same sort of thing (maybe it's true, maybe it's not, for the sake of this example, the assumption is that he blabbed to Dreger, so go follow along k? Because that's the whole point of that comment).

Do you understand now? Because if you don't after this...I give up.
I'll chime in here....first off, you totally missed his point.

Secondly, did any GM's deal with Burke after 2009 and this supposed shunning?

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:34 AM
  #53
iPunch
Leafs Fan
 
iPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,261
vCash: 133
If Gillis has any sense to him, he's going to buy out Luongo this summer. Canucks fans should hope he learned a lesson on how contracts can kill player value.

iPunch is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:37 AM
  #54
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I'm not saying things actually will work out for the Canucks, I'm just suggesting they could.

If Bishop can't do well as a starter for the rest of the season, what are the odds that TBL doesn't just fire Yzerman? The guys has now traded 2 x 2nds + 3rd + 4th + Conacher for Lindback and Bishop. I think Bishop will be good but if he plays 10 games with a 0.90x save% or less, I think the team starts considering its options with its GM. Despite having Stamkos as a young superstar, the Lightning have a very good aging core which is having seasons wasted by terrible goaltending.

Honestly, I'm glad that this Luongo stuff will disappear for a while and as a fan I will almost certainly get to be enjoying playoff hockey.
Alot of Ifs. If Schneider gets injured then what?
If Luongo plays and gets shelled then no one wants him either and now not only because of his awful deal.
If Luongo retires after year seven of his contract then two teams are screwed if he gets dealt.
Luongo has a 904 save %. Is that better than Bishop who is 26
and making peanuts?

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:37 AM
  #55
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,942
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I find it odd that we as Leaf fans and the Leafs themselves are being slammed for this. Where did the report about Luongo not waiving for TO early on come from? Where did Gillis' "mystery team" report come from? Where did the "there are multiple teams interested" reports come from?

With the way Gillis handled this, is it really inconcievable to think he wouldn't leak this just so he can say "see, i tried to move him for nothing and still couldn't". Hell, he and Luongo said opposite things on there pressers....Luongo stating his contract sucks and he was never asked to waive.....Gillis said the contract wasn't an issue and the NTC was.

If it's true that the reported offer was turned down, seems to me, Gillis has been using TO to create a non existant market and TO was never really interested.
They are talking as if Gillis was the innocent guy in all this He manipulated the media and whined about the Leafs doing it.

Exactly. As early as last day they said there are teams that are past the kicking stage...looks like they were the ones kicking.

They got pretty desperate if all they wanted was Scrivens and 2 2nds.

Pi is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:41 AM
  #56
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Gillis would have been a hero if Bell/Rogers didn't step in and fire Burke before they finalized a deal early in year.


Now he'll loose his job over this mess.


Life

DaveT83* is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:42 AM
  #57
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Alot of Ifs. If Schneider gets injured then what?
If Luongo plays and gets shelled then no one wants him either and now not only because of his awful deal.
If Luongo retires after year seven of his contract then two teams are screwed if he gets dealt.
Luongo has a 904 save %. Is that better than Bishop who is 26
and making peanuts?
If Schneider gets hurt we're really glad to have Luongo.

I was saying "if" as in things might not be as terrible as people think this off-season.

What I do know is that I'm pretty happy with the roster that the Canucks have assuming they get their injured guys back as expected and they can maintain their playoff position while the injured guys get back.

No need to worry about the off-season until the off-season starts at this point because there are a lot of "ifs".

For all the flak Gillis is getting in this thread, it looks like Gillis is going to deliver a Canucks team to the playoffs with a very solid roster (top 5 IMO) which is ultimately what his job is.

He won't get fired/crucified for what he gets back in a Luongo trade as long as he can continue to deliver the above.


Last edited by DJOpus: 04-04-2013 at 06:48 AM.
DJOpus is online now  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:43 AM
  #58
Orca Smash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,133
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
They are talking as if Gillis was the innocent guy in all this He manipulated the media and whined about the Leafs doing it.

Exactly. As early as last day they said there are teams that are past the kicking stage...looks like they were the ones kicking.

They got pretty desperate if all they wanted was Scrivens and 2 2nds.
Oh man you mean a gm manipulated the media? Lets burn him at the stake.

And how did he whine about your leafs doing it?

Orca Smash is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:43 AM
  #59
416Leafer
Registered User
 
416Leafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
If Gillis has any sense to him, he's going to buy out Luongo this summer. Canucks fans should hope he learned a lesson on how contracts can kill player value.
You think ownership will just cut him a cheque for almost 30 million dollars, just to pay for his ego from last summer? I think Gillis will get fired if he costs ownership that much money. You'd have to think a buyout is the last possible resort. Theyll waive him first (though im not convinced any team would take him), and maybe even consider trading Schneider and keeping Lou. Thats a TON of money, its not a simple decision to buy him out.

416Leafer is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:43 AM
  #60
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Burke was fired before the season started, Nonis is the Leaf GM.
I'm aware of that. My point is, some gms don't like trade discussions being made public.

Other then embarrassing Gillis and making him look desperate, what was the point of Nonis leaking that offer?

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:44 AM
  #61
iPunch
Leafs Fan
 
iPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,261
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Gillis would have been a hero if Bell/Rogers didn't step in and fire Burke before they finalized a deal early in year.


Now he'll loose his job over this mess.


Life
You're being Mike Gillis right now.

iPunch is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:44 AM
  #62
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Gillis would have been a hero if Bell/Rogers didn't step in and fire Burke before they finalized a deal early in year.


Now he'll loose his job over this mess.


Life
Gillis shouldnt lose his job because of this alone.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:45 AM
  #63
JackJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,330
vCash: 500
Let Gillis stew in the disaster hes created.

JackJ is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:47 AM
  #64
FV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hamilton New York
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
First time I've ever commented on Roberto Luongo. Quite frankly, I'm glad this is all over. I'm very happy Nonis was smart enough to keep away from that contract.

That being said, I've never understood how Vancouver fans and management were acting like they had the upper hand in a trade situation for Luongo. I couldn't believe the Bozak, Kadri, 1st round picks etc.... suggestions.

Why would any team give them anything to make a deal. I would want something like Luongo and a 1st for Komasarik and Connolly and the Canucks should have been doing back flips over that. Even then though I wouldn't have wanted any part of that contract.

My view of Luongo as a person has changed though. I always thought he was a grease ball but he's been very classy and seems like a good guy.

FV is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:53 AM
  #65
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,477
vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
MG made a mess of this

do Vancouver fans think MG will get a better offer in the summer?
some think he walks on water, others are slowly waking up to the fact that he has problems with how he does things and he needs to change his approach.

Most Canuck fans know I have not been a fan of the guy and think they give him more credit then he deserves.

For me. both Nonis and Burke built the core of the team and Gillis has been trying to find the missing pieces ever since,

What should concern canuck fans is Gillis drafting record for the past 5 years since he has been in charge only 2 canuck homegrown players have played more then ten games and only one of them is still with the team. While the first response is to blame where they have drafted, looking at a team like the Hawks, that have been pretty good over the past 5 years have had 6 draft picks do time in the NHL and 5 have played 19 games or more and one has now played over 100 games (Krugar taken 149th overall in 2009).

Where I think Gillis has gone slightly wrong with his offer is he should not be looking for draft picks--canucks are in a win now mode and need to fill some holes in their line up.

But if Gillis is willing to trade Luongo for a goalie and two picks--I will (enflame oiler fans with this offer) Dubnyk and the two second rounders the oilers have this year for Luongo

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:55 AM
  #66
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 28,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'm aware of that. My point is, some gms don't like trade discussions being made public.

Other then embarrassing Gillis and making him look desperate, what was the point of Nonis leaking that offer?
How do we know Nonis leaked it or anything else to Dreger(which was my initial question)?

ACC1224 is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:56 AM
  #67
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 28,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Gillis shouldnt lose his job because of this alone.
I agree he should lose his job but not because of the person you quoted imagination.

ACC1224 is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:58 AM
  #68
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,942
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
How do we know Nonis leaked it or anything else to Dreger(which was my initial question)?
They are second cousins! Don't you know? That's like BFF. I bet Nonis leaves the speaker phone on and has Dreger right behind him when he's making deals.

Pi is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 06:59 AM
  #69
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey
 
Diamond Joe Quimby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FV View Post
First time I've ever commented on Roberto Luongo. Quite frankly, I'm glad this is all over. I'm very happy Nonis was smart enough to keep away from that contract.

That being said, I've never understood how Vancouver fans and management were acting like they had the upper hand in a trade situation for Luongo. I couldn't believe the Bozak, Kadri, 1st round picks etc.... suggestions.

Why would any team give them anything to make a deal. I would want something like Luongo and a 1st for Komasarik and Connolly and the Canucks should have been doing back flips over that. Even then though I wouldn't have wanted any part of that contract.

My view of Luongo as a person has changed though. I always thought he was a grease ball but he's been very classy and seems like a good guy.
Well, the fans were delusional. However, the management must always act like they have some kind of upper hand or else risk not getting value back for the asset. In this case, it was played wrong by Gillis because of the sheer lack of suitors willing (and able) to take on the contract. Hopefully he can find someone to take the contract in the summer.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 07:00 AM
  #70
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
How do we know Nonis leaked it or anything else to Dreger(which was my initial question)?
This was kind of my point as well. Nonis really has nothing to gain by this news being leaked. In fact, i'm sure many will question why he turned it down.

On the other hand; it actually relieves some of the negativity off of Gillis.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 07:03 AM
  #71
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,677
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Teams aren't going to want to talk trades with Nonis if he constantly turns around and reveals the details to his cousin.
just like other GMs will refuse to talk to Holmgren because of the offer sheet he sent to Weber this summer


RJ8812 is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 07:03 AM
  #72
MildlyAwesome
Rational Leaf Fan
 
MildlyAwesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
They are second cousins! Don't you know? That's like BFF. I bet Nonis leaves the speaker phone on and has Dreger right behind him when he's making deals.
No kidding. I'm 95% sure Dreger, when Nonis took over, joked around on the panel and then said they weren't close as they were second cousins (and honestly, it's not like they grew up in the same city). All of you make it seem like their cousins and best friends, and sleep together.

Why are we so sure that this is Toronto leaking it and not Luongo camp, or Vancouver camp (or someone else in the Leafs organization)? Not exactly, like Vancouver wasn't public enough with Gillis and Luongo talking about it. Toronto has no reason to leak this. It's not like Toronto was giving too much or Gillis had the value to high. In a non-cap world, this is a great trade for the Leafs. Toronto has no reason to leak it because if anything, people will ask why Nonis didn't take it.

Clearly if this is what the deal was, then chances are its the contract being poor value in the eyes of Nonis (and the Panthers/Tampa)

MildlyAwesome is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 07:04 AM
  #73
Clark4Ever
Registered User
 
Clark4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: T.O.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,241
vCash: 500
Under normal circumstances, Nonis should have taken that deal in heartbeat, but (for the millionth time) Lou's contract changes the dynamics entirely.

If Gillis was willing to absorb a portion of the cap hit or add futures, I think he and Nonis could have bridged the gap.

As it stands though, I agree with Nonis in rejecting that offer considering all of the variables involved.

Clark4Ever is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 07:07 AM
  #74
McSwagger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Why would any team offer anything of substance for Luongo. The Canucks are in cap hell this offseason and Mike Gillis has to move him he cant take Luongo into the 2014 season as a backup. Why not just wait for him to get bought out and sign him to a good contract? Obviously that would favour Florida so you take a crappy pick someone is offering for Luongo and get it over wtih.

McSwagger is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 07:07 AM
  #75
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
How do we know Nonis leaked it or anything else to Dreger(which was my initial question)?
I think it's unlikely that Dreger is bypassing his cousin(Nonis), going to another Leaf front office exec for inside info.

And why would Gillis leak the info that Dreger reported: Gillis called Nonis 3x between 2 pm- 3 pm pushing Luongo offers, including the Scrivens+ two picks offer?

CREW99AW is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.