HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The I'm Nervous Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 04:53 PM
IAMREALITY

vCash: 500
Pathetic. Just friggin pathetic. This board sometimes... My god...

No, the sky isn't nor will be falling. I'll put 100 bucks down right now that our record improves significantly now. If ya want to take me up on it, just say so.

We needed a shake up. Gabby needed a change of scenery. We needed more toughness, and grit. We needed a new feeling in the locker room. We needed the intangibles.

Fear all you want. Not a doubt in my mind we will now be a better team.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:58 PM
General Sather*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post

No, the sky isn't nor will be falling. I'll put 100 bucks down right now that our record improves significantly now. If ya want to take me up on it, just say so.

We needed a shake up. Gabby needed a change of scenery. We needed more toughness, and grit. We needed a new feeling in the locker room. We needed the intangibles.

I hope you are correct but who's gonna score goals besides Nash? Clowe? The guy has ZERO goals on the season. I firmly believe that outside of Nash and sometimes Callahan that this team has AHL level goal scoring ability. I am not exaggerating. Also lets not forget that if this were an 82 game season with a healthy Gaborik, this would be regarded as a slump for the guy and we would assume he would get out of it. Since the season is so short, with Playoff money on the line for Dolan, Gaborik became the scapegoat.

General Sather* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:04 PM
petejudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack21 View Post
Can anybody tell me about Moore? Is he any good? What's his style?
He's been described as McDonagh-lite. World class skater, two-way defenseman. Hasn't put it together at the NHL level yet but he's 22 and had a great junior career, plus a great first professional year at the AHL level. He's not at McDonagh's level and might not ever get there, but it's a similar style of play and he's better than Hamrlik right now.

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack21 View Post
Can anybody tell me about Moore? Is he any good? What's his style?
Great skater, big and mobile. Projects to be a 2 way dman though his offense has shown its head yet. Top potential, top pair dman, likely potential, very solid top 4 defenseman.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:

Oh good, since you said it I feel much better.

The sky is never falling, but that doesn't mean it doesn't rain once in awhile. Thanks for your reassurance though.

04-03-2013, 05:13 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Last year the Kings made major moves at the deadline too as they fought for the 8th spot. Not trying to jinx us or say that we're the new '12 Kings, but I think it was the right move. My only complaint is the pick in this deal. A second rounder at the least would have sufficed.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

I am going to use this thread to rant then get over the trade, so allow me.

First of all this board needs to see a shrink. Last year there was a lot of moaning about the lack of elite talent, people were willing to trade depth for elite talent. This year? The exact opposite.

I think Sather got taken to the cleaners by the Jarmo Kekalainen, there is no other way to put it.
We got worse depth than they got last season and lost a firsr rd pick in the process,
Anisimov > Brassard
Dubi > Dorsett
Moore = Erixon

Dorsett is injured, Sather should've at least got another good prospect back.

The only saving grace is the cap relief, but is that worth a first rd pick? Don't think so.

/rant

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:22 PM
jay from jersey

Just stop it

guys this is a good trade.once again you guys aren't looking at the big picture or the business side. Gaborik was gone next year anyway, especially once we traded for clowe. his cap hit needed to be erased to give the yoots a bump in salary as well. Make no bones about it, for slats to give up two 2nd's for clowe, bet your bottom dollar we are signing him to a 3-4 year extension. Next order of business, if you can't see the writing on the wall, brassard center, miller cener, boyle center,stepan center. Richards is going to be bought out. i'm sorry if you can't see it but the pieces are in place. Now, as far as the return it was pretty good. first dorsett is basically a prust clone. he is a better fighter, maybe a tad bit less offensive but he will kill pens,block shots, and do the dirty work. brassard is a decent 2nd/3rd line center. I believe management has crowned steps their number one and will have him work on his skating like crazy in the offseason. brassard was brought here to provide a little offense and provide a buffer for when richards is gonzo. if he doesn't work out he is a moveable ASSET down the line at the draft. Now on to Moore, the wildcard. Ranger brass must see something they love about him, that's all i could tell you. Maybe they see i McD clone or something thats truely special and him. if he pans out this trade could be a huge success for NYR. Bottom line, after the summer moves ranger brass misspent money and didn't keep guys like mitchell, prust, and feds and it bit them in the keyster, They know that, hence the moves for clowe and dorsett. That's why i can see clowe will be signed. they are not going to make the same mistake twice. For all you crying about skill and gabs give me a break. I loved the guy when he was on a hot steak too but he is a shell of his former self. He has either lost motivation playing under torts or is still injured. either way NYR is a better TEAM today then it was yesterday. Too bad real life is not a video game, richards gaborik and nash would have 300pts as a line, but in the real world if it's broke this long then it's really broke. sometimes a better part has to go out to pick up the slack of 3 mediocre parts if you get what im getting at. (greater good). and just a little FYI Pyatt, asham, and perhaps boyle, our days are numbered. it's a new culture at the garden and i for one am loving it. Good luck Marian, it was a good run but time to move on. I'll be rooting for you and the rest of our former boys. Take a breath guys. we are a better unit now and harder to play against.

jay from jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

Been thinking that myself since the trades sunk in. We're now back to the kind of hockey Renney played, playing not to lose rather than playing to win. Score one goal and pray Hank can win the rest for you. Snooze. If I wasn't so accustomed to watching hockey games I'd probably bail for a while. I'm having a hard time thinking anything positive about this team's chances at a cup next year, to say nothing of this wasted season with no draft picks. Changing 50% of your team every 6 months is not the answer. As long as Sather is in charge of this team this team will not accomplish anything. And he has the job for life because Dolan doesn't know what sport the Rangers play.

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post

First of all this board needs to see a shrink. Last year there was a lot of moaning about the lack of elite talent, people were willing to trade depth for elite talent. This year? The exact opposite.

I think Sather got taken to the cleaners by the Jarmo Kekalainen, there is no other way to put it.
We got worse depth than they got last season and lost a firsr rd pick in the process,
Anisimov > Brassard
Dubi > Dorsett
Moore = Erixon

The only saving grace is the cap relief, but is that worth a first rd pick? Don't think so.

/rant
To be fair Nash > Gaborik going forward, but yes, I agree mostly.

Next year in the off-season I can't wait to see people posting, "We need more offense!!11"

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:24 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
He hasn't produced this year, only a fool would argue otherwise. But he's always a threat to score, don't think that doesn't change how teams played us.

Not to mention the short sightedness of the move - an off year during a half season just after surgery. Clearly sub-par for him, but you'd certainly expect him to return to the mean.
I'm not against the trade, but you figure there are other ways to gain depth then trading Marian Gaborik. Ultimately, that was the environment of this trade deadline I suppose.

I do love the leadership that everyone is mentioning, outside of Cally, that aspect was sorely lacking, and was not being helped by MG.

I guess I'm luke warm to the trade. I see why it was done, but worry that it was done.
I disagree with this being short sighted it's the oppossite. Gabs is old and is never going to resign here with our cap needs and the fact that hes likely fed up with torts.

We got young players including a rookie D man. We also are softer than anything this year and filled that role a little more. Gabs was a 40 G scorer. He likely would not have been next year. gabs is currently really bad and extraodinarily overpaid for THIS year and again not likely to be resigned after next. I like the move. I honestly think I'd have preferred a 1st than two of the BJ's but I like the move. Would have liked friggin keeping Prust too tho if we were going to do this considering we pissed the money away on guys like Pyatt and have plenty to spare between now and next year

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:28 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post

Anisimov > Brassard
Dubi > Dorsett
Moore = Erixon

/rant
Last year Gabs was elite this year hes actually pretty bad. The question is what will he be next year and will we resign him. I think the answers are not much better and no In that case this is a good trade to make. Do you really think this trade happens if gabs was even a shell of his former self? Luckily this board and our GM realized he wasn't even that and got legitamate young players who are good back. Since we were only going to keep Gabs for one more year if Dorsett can be a good energy guy and Moore can be a good bottom pair D man (as oppossed to the horror shows we have had) then Brassard and cap relief to resign our guys are icing on the cake. Not to mention moore is VERY young and can still develop to be a top 4 D man who stays with the team for years

Obviously if Brass sucks, moore flames out and Dorsett sucks then this trade sucks and we'd have been better with a 1st. very likely to happen

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:41 PM
MessierIsGod

Classic sell low..we can't score so get rid of a guy who scores

Lets face it..this has torts don't like Gabs all over it

We traded a world class scorer for a bag of 2nd tier players.

MessierIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
I disagree with this being short sighted it's the oppossite. Gabs is old and is never going to resign here with our cap needs and the fact that hes likely fed up with torts.

We got young players including a rookie D man. We also are softer than anything this year and filled that role a little more. Gabs was a 40 G scorer. He likely would not have been next year. gabs is currently really bad and extraodinarily overpaid for THIS year and again not likely to be resigned after next. I like the move. I honestly think I'd have preferred a 1st than two of the BJ's but I like the move. Would have liked friggin keeping Prust too tho if we were going to do this considering we pissed the money away on guys like Pyatt and have plenty to spare between now and next year
I don't buy this is a good trade because Gaborik has not been playing well. You don't make major decisions based on 30 game samples.
If you keep buying high and selling low, you will eventually go bankrupt. Ride Gaborik, allow him to regain some of his value back, then trade him in the offseason if you must.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

We thought we could have an offense around both Nash and Gaborik. It didn't work. So we chose Nash as the centerpiece and flipped Gaborik for depth. Nothing to be afraid of.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:49 PM
MessierIsGod

Slats will win the bob gainey GM of the year for this one.

By this time next season, gabby will have about 30 goals and the bag of no names will rotate in and out of torts' doghouse (that is if he's not fired by then).

MessierIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:31 PM
jay from jersey

ahemmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierIsGod View Post
Slats will win the bob gainey GM of the year for this one.

By this time next season, gabby will have about 30 goals and the bag of no names will rotate in and out of torts' doghouse (that is if he's not fired by then).
you were saying........

jay from jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner View Post
Pretty sure this is going to be a disaster. Hope I'm wrong.
yep looking pretty bad

Need to keep working hard. This team is deeper at every position. They lose a star and that sucks but they can compete vs. other teams 3rd and 4th lines now

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:00 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:

No, the sky isn't nor will be falling.
I'll put 100 bucks down right now that our record improves significantly now. If ya want to take me up on it, just say so.

Honestly why I don't come on here as often as I'd like to. Some of the posts are flat out embarrassing.

I love the Gaborik trade. We got a young center, a Prust-replacement, and a decent PMD...what else did you all want? There was virtually no market for him. This was a solid return for a guy with 3 goals in 25 games.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierIsGod View Post
Classic sell low..we can't score so get rid of a guy who scores

Lets face it..this has torts don't like Gabs all over it

We traded a world class scorer for a bag of 2nd tier players.
We can't score...so get rid of a guy who scores?

If that guy WAS scoring wouldn't we be a team that CAN score?

Your logic is infallible.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:03 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
The Rangers just got deeper and tougher to play against.

They also got younger.

Brassard has potential. He's a solid 2C/excellent 3C right now. He's skilled. The Rangers desperately needed another good center. Dorsett is a pesky gnat, Prust-like. I actually like Dorsett a bit more than Prust, he's nastier, has better hands. Prust is a better passer of the puck, though. Moore is a good puck moving D. Mobile. Has size. The Rangers needed a better transitional D, they got one.

We moved out: Gaborik. We added: Brassard, Clowe, Moore, and Dorsett. On the surface, I like it. It remains to be seen whether not not it works out, though.
It is a Nash for Gabby trade we should have done last summer without giving up
Dubi, Erixon and Anisimov who are on the whole better and more proven than Dorsett, Brassard and More.

the Jury is still out - one game doesn't a playoff run make.

When we go to the SC semifinals then we can say we improved the team. I am sceptical.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Gabby is coming off a pretty serious shoulder surgery....it is logical that he will be a bit more jumpy, there was zero patience with him. after playing hurt for latter half of the season I think the management owed him to be a bit more tolerant.

The bigger problem here is really Richards, and that of course is not addressed.

All this movement of reassembling a winning team we already had last year has caused uncertainty in the ranks. Last couple of years the team was surefooted - it could handle adversity. We had grit and believe - we could defend, 1 goal lead was all we needed.

so we retooled

Feds, Prust, Duby, Rupp were replaced by Asham, Halpern, Pyatt who are barely hangers on. you want continuity in a winning team, maybe 1 or 2 tweeks but not ditch half of your line up to improve the squad.

For me this is bad trading.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:15 AM
Crease

Hindsight is 20/20 and we could complain all day about what should have been done during the summer, but the trades made over the past 48 hours make the Rangers a better team than we were last week, IMO.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Hindsight is 20/20 and we could complain all day about what should have been done during the summer, but the trades made over the past 48 hours make the Rangers a better team than we were last week, IMO.

yes better than last week for sure, not better than last year.

My issue is and continues with Slats.

Pascal Dupuis for Alex Bourret (who) comes to mind!

Old
04-04-2013, 07:35 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad London Ranger View Post
yes better than last week for sure, not better than last year.

My issue is and continues with Slats.

Pascal Dupuis for Alex Bourret (who) comes to mind!
Brian Boyle for a 3rd?

Gomez for McDonagh + Higgins?

People realize Sather turned Gaborik, who was acquired for nothing but money as a UFA, into (3) long-term, good pieces, right? Literally awesome asset management. I hope it continues with some of these other UFA's they have signed.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote