HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Can Malkin carry us again?

Old
04-04-2013, 06:07 AM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

vCash: 500
Can Malkin carry us again?

The difference between Geno and Sid looks gross right now. We were absolutely fine with Geno injured and Sid playing. Yeah, I know we are missing two key D-men right now, but even when we are in the offensive zone, there is no creativity, no passion, no chemistry. We were missing Letang & Geno and we were still dominating.

All season long, Geno looks a bit lost and we are giving him like all wingers in the world. Doesnīt matter if heīs playing with Neal, Glass, Boychuk, Morrow, Iginla, Bennett, there is no clear dominance anymore. He came from Russia and should be more ready than anyone. I mean, he should be a leading force right now and he isnīt. He isnīt playing the simple game, is trying to do too much and just isnīt very effective. He should simplify it and needs to find that confidence.

There seem to be so many problems right now(and bigger than this Geno case), but I think Geno should be the one who will give this team a spark. Sid would do it for sure. And yeah, even with Sid back, Geno just needs to find his old level if we want that Cup..

My question is, is there even a chance to see that last yearīs MVP level from Malkin this year?

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:18 AM
Shwag33

Malkin still isn't 100% which it shows.

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:20 AM
Whale Mingo

No, Malkin is a shell of his former self and has been all season (with or without other injuries). Perhaps he prefers to stay in Russia, who knows.

I hope, once and for all, the argument about who the best player is between Sid and Geno finally dies along with those blue jerseys.

Whale Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Honour Over Glory

I think Malkin was able to carry us last year because we had Staal who was also a damn solid pivot while Crosby was out. Having that kind of support was huge because teams still had to respect Staal's line and not just zero in on Malkin's like they can now. Also, they're forcing Iginla to play LW on that line and it looks bad. While Sid is out, this is that time to put Kunitz back up there and let them do their damage until Crosby is back. I would like to see this tried at least for a few shifts...I know it won't, but yeah...

Kunitz, Malkin, Neal
Dupuis, Jokinen, Iginla
Morrow, Sutter, Cooke

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Kovifan27

No player can carry the offense when you spend most of the game in your own zone playing sloppy/confused.

Malking isn't at 100% so that isn't helping any chance he gets.

Kovifan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:27 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
Malkin still isn't 100% which it shows.
I am a big fan of the guy and I think he's is definitely a top 2 player that is struggling this season, but if you remember how he started this season, he wasn't really last year's Geno. I thought maybe the time spent in the KHL this season would make him the guy that starts the season without the whole rust issue because he was flat out dominating in the KHL, but that was definitely not the case. Then the shoulder thing and the slamming into the boards thing suddenly gave his play an excuse. Before those injuries, Malkin was struggling, by his standards I mean. If you look at his numbers, in a full season he would probably have a hot streak and make up for those stretches, but in a short season, you need the guy to minimize those cold streaks as much as you can.

Letang's injury worries me as well, the nagging groin injury is an injury that has hurt guys like Orpik and Kunitz a few years back, the toe will heal quicker than that groin issue will.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:28 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovifan27 View Post
No player can carry the offense when you spend most of the game in your own zone playing sloppy/confused.

Malking isn't at 100% so that isn't helping any chance he gets.
It also doesn't help when he's over playing the puck every time he touches it, Malkin, when dominating, keeps it simple as much as he dangles, right now he seems like he wants to dangle the puck every time he touches it and it ends up being poked away or he's checked right away after 2-3 really nice dekes that get him nowhere. He's not using his wingers as much and he's still initiating contact which tells me his shoulder is fine, I think he's putting too much pressure on himself right now.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:29 AM
GermanTitov

i think Malkin is still hurt. It just looks like one of those situations where a world class talent isnt preforming as he usually does. normally that means he was rushed back to a certain extent or isnt saying anything about it. Now especially with Crosby out he will more than likely try to play through the pain if that is the case.

GermanTitov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:30 AM
JQR
Clearly it's Lovejoy

Stick Kunitz and Neal on his line and I'm sure you'll see a world of difference. Does anyone question whether a Crosby-Iginla-(One of the several other wingers we have for this spot now) line will be able to score?

JQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

I would like to believe that Geno being not 100% healthy is the case here.. But I donīt believe it at all, thatīs just making poor excuses. He was taking all the time in the world before he came back from not too serious injury.. The thing is, he wasnīt himself all season long. Iīm really concerned about him going forward, heīs not able to help his wingers enough and to use them the right way.

Another question is, if he wants the 10M+ contract, would you give it to him? I would definitely wait at least until his playoffīs performance, but right now, I would be really hesitant and probably thinking about J.Staalīs summer analogy. Sorry, I donīt really know whatīs best for us, Iīm just saying I would think about it.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:47 AM
TheSniper26

Injury stuff aside, I actually think playing over in Russia might have softened Geno's game a bit. Playing against lesser quality competition is a good way to pick up some bad/lazy habits. Stuff that might work in the KHL just doesn't fly in the NHL. I think we've seen some of that from Geno in this shortened season. The revolving door on his left side hasn't helped either. I'm pretty confident he'll shake it off along with the lingering injury issues and get back to form.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:50 AM
skillhockey

Penns are just having streak hangover. It will be gone in next game or game after that. Geno will be just fine, like before if not better.

skillhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:13 AM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
The difference between Geno and Sid looks gross right now. We were absolutely fine with Geno injured and Sid playing. Yeah, I know we are missing two key D-men right now, but even when we are in the offensive zone, there is no creativity, no passion, no chemistry. We were missing Letang & Geno and we were still dominating.

All season long, Geno looks a bit lost and we are giving him like all wingers in the world. Doesnīt matter if heīs playing with Neal, Glass, Boychuk, Morrow, Iginla, Bennett, there is no clear dominance anymore. He came from Russia and should be more ready than anyone. I mean, he should be a leading force right now and he isnīt. He isnīt playing the simple game, is trying to do too much and just isnīt very effective. He should simplify it and needs to find that confidence.

There seem to be so many problems right now(and bigger than this Geno case), but I think Geno should be the one who will give this team a spark. Sid would do it for sure. And yeah, even with Sid back, Geno just needs to find his old level if we want that Cup..

My question is, is there even a chance to see that last yearīs MVP level from Malkin this year?
You forgot to add Tangradi with whom he played most games (we are talking about left wingers) and who was literally invisible on ice. With Morrow, Iginla, BB he has played 1-2 games. If you play hockey you understand it's not enough to find chemistry. I guess 'all wingers in the world' don't include Kunitz with whom that line was the best in the world last season. If you watch games closely you should notice that Geno plays more simple game this season, not the last. You should realise that Pens is the only team in the world where he doesn't play with most suitable for him wingers. I think it's rather hard to play at 100% with different wingers in a short span of time

Last edited by od71: 04-04-2013 at 07:19 AM.
od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
You forgot to add Tangradi with whom he played most games (we are talking about left wingers) and who was literally invisible on ice. With Morrow, Iginla, BB he has played 1-2 games. If you play hockey you understand it's not enough to find chemistry. I guess 'all wingers in the world' don't include Kunitz with whom that line was the best in the world last season. If you watch games closely you should notice that Geno plays more simple game this season, not the last. You should realise that Pens is the only team in the world where he doesn't play with most suitable for him wingers. I think it's rather hard to play at 100% with different wingers in a short span of time
Yeah, I would like to give him some more time with big wingers before we come to conclusions. Iīm just having concerns, hopefully Iīm wrong. Iīm 100% sure that last yearīs Malkin would be able to handle this situation.

The biggest thing is, I think that itīs more about Malkin himself than about his wingers. Hypothetically, even with Kunitz and Neal as his wingers, I am not sure we would see the best line in hockey there like we have the last year. Playoffs will tell, but I am definitely scared.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:43 AM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
I would like to believe that Geno being not 100% healthy is the case here.. But I donīt believe it at all, thatīs just making poor excuses. He was taking all the time in the world before he came back from not too serious injury.. The thing is, he wasnīt himself all season long. Iīm really concerned about him going forward, heīs not able to help his wingers enough and to use them the right way.

Another question is, if he wants the 10M+ contract, would you give it to him? I would definitely wait at least until his playoffīs performance, but right now, I would be really hesitant and probably thinking about J.Staalīs summer analogy. Sorry, I donīt really know whatīs best for us, Iīm just saying I would think about it.
Who knows, may be Staal's story will repeat with Geno. But if so, he won't lose (in any other team he would be given all suitable partners), not sure about Pens

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Nightwing

Honestly, how many times did we let in 4+ goals when crosby was around? The team is playing bad all together and it feels like on these boards Malkin gets most of the blame.

Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Steve Durbano

Quote:
Who knows, may be Staal's story will repeat with Geno. But if so, he won't lose (in any other team he would be given all suitable partners), not sure about Pens
His comment last night on NBC "New York best city I think" really kind of made me pause. Does Geno want to be Broadway Geno?

If he's not happy in the Burgh or wants to get out of Sid's shadow, I'd pull off a Herschel Walker trade before he's a free agent.

Steve Durbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nTsplnk*

Haters back after a 1 year layoff.

People wanted to trade him 3 years ago when he was struggling, glad we didn't do that .

Sid's injury history means we need to keep Geno.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:56 AM
radapex

vCash: 128
Quote:
That's because there haven't been enough "suitable partners" to go around. Prior to acquiring Iginla, the Pens had exactly two legitimate top 6 wingers - Kunitz and Neal - to play with two all-world centers. So the only options are to a) split them up; b) handicap Crosby by putting two 3rd/4th line wingers with him; or, c) handicap Malkin by putting two 3rd/4th line wingers with him.

That brings me back to a question I've asked a lot: if Malkin needs $10-million in wingers to be successful, is he really worth the $8.7-million he getting now let along the upwards of $11-million he's "expected" to get in his next contract?

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:59 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

I was going to make some passive-aggressive quip, but then I decided...

CAN WE PLEASE STOP DISSECTING OUR TWO BEST PLAYERS?

When Geno's out, we obsess over Sid. When Sid is out, we obsess over Geno.

News Flash: they are, without question, our best skaters night-in and night-out, win or lose. They are rarely the reason the team loses and almost always the reason the team wins.

You can't expect Malkin to erase every wart this team has by himself on a nightly basis. Don't forget, there were rough patches last year, too. I think his performance gets a bit overly romanticized. I'm not criticizing him, it's just a nature of the media and fans. There were some bad losses last year. Geno will settle in and find a way.

ALL THAT SAID: I told you so.

You should have been able to see this coming. 12-71-18 is a horrible idea. You have 2 RWs. You have 3 guys who need the puck on their stick. You have 3 guys who aren't really puck retrievers anymore. You need a Kunitz/Morrow type on that line. You NEED it. To continue to force Dupuis on the 1st line because CHEMISTRY is literally hurting this team.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:06 AM
BeauKnows19

I would be open to putting Morrow on that line for a few more games. I liked what I saw out of that line the one day they played. Then, put Iginla with Sid and Kunitz. (Or Jokinen) Dupuis Sutter Cooke makes a great third line, and then choose from everyone else for the fourth line. If Morrow doesn't work out there, try Bennett again.

BeauKnows19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

The team as a whole played two terrible games. The team hasn't played like that behind Sid all year. Coincidence or lack of leadership or what, I have no idea. But if the team played like that behind Sid, we'd have lost just as badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
ALL THAT SAID: I told you so.

You should have been able to see this coming. 12-71-18 is a horrible idea. You have 2 RWs. You have 3 guys who need the puck on their stick. You have 3 guys who aren't really puck retrievers anymore. You need a Kunitz/Morrow type on that line. You NEED it. To continue to force Dupuis on the 1st line because CHEMISTRY is literally hurting this team.
especially when the guy Dupuis actually has chemistry with is at home eating apple sauce.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens70 View Post
I would be open to putting Morrow on that line for a few more games. I liked what I saw out of that line the one day they played. Then, put Iginla with Sid and Kunitz. (Or Jokinen) Dupuis Sutter Cooke makes a great third line, and then choose from everyone else for the fourth line. If Morrow doesn't work out there, try Bennett again.
the best possible thing that could come from a stretch of bad games is maybe Bennett gets another shot because of it.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale Mingo View Post
No, Malkin is a shell of his former self and has been all season (with or without other injuries). Perhaps he prefers to stay in Russia, who knows.

I hope, once and for all, the argument about who the best player is between Sid and Geno finally dies along with those blue jerseys.
Where does one come up with this argument and be serious about it?

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Where does one come up with this argument and be serious about it?
the internet after a loss, of course.