HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mark Streit staying or going?

Old
04-03-2013, 12:52 AM
deckercky

vCash: 500

Why didn't Snow sign Streit to a 3 year/10M contract if that was what he was looking for initially? A year longer than you'd like, but a million per year less than he deserves. Even if young prospects are pushing into the lineup at that point, there'll be injuries, and you can make trades at that point or rotate the older players out of the lineup.

deckercky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:03 AM
derriko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Yes, on the ufa market where gms can't seem to help themselves, some gm will give Streit $5m per. That doesn't mean he's worth $5m per at this point.

What's caught me off guard is what ichabod points out: that his demands have risen from $3.3m per to " north of Vis' deal".Vis averages $4.7m per.

Strang's article mentioned Vis deal. Is it only an increase in salary demands or is Streit asking for a NMC, covering all or most of his deal?
everyone gets overpaid in free agency, but doesn't that mean they are paid market value haha

and it kinda seems like its NYI's fault for the increased demands. yeah, north of the vis contract isn't the best thing, but "north of" could just be that 25k for 5 flat. If they didn't want him asking for that, they should've sat the bar lower with Vis.

Streit is younger, and a better player than Vis imo.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:19 AM
giddy up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
everyone gets overpaid in free agency, but doesn't that mean they are paid market value haha

and it kinda seems like its NYI's fault for the increased demands. yeah, north of the vis contract isn't the best thing, but "north of" could just be that 25k for 5 flat. If they didn't want him asking for that, they should've sat the bar lower with Vis.

Nope. I've been a big Streit fan but ever since his injury he hasn't been the same. I'd take him back on the right deal but Vis is better at every aspect of the game at this point.

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:32 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:

If you watched them this year you wouldn't have said that.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 03:53 AM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

If he goes to UFA, I would bet that the Oil sign him. They have been after him for a while and Krueger loves the guy because he already knows his system. With Whitney's pay likely gone, it wouldn't be shocking if the Oil offered him 4-4.5mil.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:03 AM
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI

Per Dregrr, Garth Snow has no intention of trading Streit

SCBdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:08 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Offensively I would say yes, 2 way no

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:51 AM
StrongIslanders90

Where in a playoff race, I say keep him...

even if he walks in the summer it would still be worth it if we were pushing for the playoffs...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Nolanitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
If he goes to UFA, I would bet that the Oil sign him. They have been after him for a while and Krueger loves the guy because he already knows his system. With Whitney's pay likely gone, it wouldn't be shocking if the Oil offered him 4-4.5mil.
He wants more than $5 million a year rumored to be 5.5 for 3 years.

Isles have offered him more than you propose already

Nolanitis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
Streit will easily fetch a 1st +. I wouldn't be surprised to see him garner a larger return than Jbo.

Isles should ship him to LA in a package for Bernier.

04-03-2013, 10:08 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
Streit will easily fetch a 1st +. I wouldn't be surprised to see him garner a larger return than Jbo.

Now that's a deal I would concider. Something that could actually make us better now.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:14 AM
MattyW

Quote:

As an Isles fan, I've been torn on the Streit issue.

One the one hand, we're in a race for the playoffs, and it wouldn't look good to trade a PMD and your captain for draft picks.

On the other hand, Streit has been awful for long stretches here, and if there are teams seriously offering what you propose, I would have to do it. Bernier would solve the goaltending issue for next season. Hell a 1st round pick could then we spun around to acquire another player who can help the playoff chase.

MattyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:33 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Isles offered Streit $5m and he wants $5.5m?
He's not worth $5m, let alone $5.5m.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/897273/clip/0
●The TSN Tradecentre desk discussed negotiations, believing that the Isles had offered a three-year extension with a raise over his current $4.1 million salary, but suggesting Streit's camp wanted something more in the "mid-$5 million" range.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:36 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

●The TSN Tradecentre desk discussed negotiations, believing that the Isles had offered a three-year extension with a raise over his current $4.1 million salary, but suggesting Streit's camp wanted something more in the "mid-$5 million" range.
WHAT!!! They better now give him that money...He must really want more Money then Viz

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:50 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
first, streit want 3 years 10 million.
then he sees visnovsky get 2 years 9.75.
garth then offers streit 3 years 12+ million.
( 2+ million MORE than streit initially asked for. )
now he wants 3 years at "mid 5 million" per??!!
ive got two words for mr streit......"adios contaminos"

(he may have a big "C" on his chest, but hes about as much the team captain as luongo was.)

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:57 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:

Jeez that's a lot of money. I want the Oilers to try to get him but if he wants that kind of money to re-sign forget it.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:

Kings wont trade Bernier until the draft, unless a team knocks their socks off with an outrageous offer.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:11 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Jeez that's a lot of money. I want the Oilers to try to get him but if he wants that kind of money to re-sign forget it.
I like Streit and want him to stay, but not at $5.5m. Not even at $5m.

Isles are a team with an internal budget.

Maybe I'd be a little more desperate to keep Streit, if Vis hadn't re-signed for 2 more seasons.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Sneekypete

Teams are paying high prices today, ship Streit but only if the price is right.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:53 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

As expected, Streit isn't going anywhere unless it's a last second thing (doubtful).

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:30 PM
bluechipbonzo

Well well well

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:06 PM
ichabod13

that should be a fun locker room tomorrow.

talking about a player that ( in an off handed way ) demanded his way off long island.
garth offered 12+ for 3 years. ( stupid offer in my eyes )
but baby markie wants more than lubby got........
for a guy that couldnt stop a one legged blind man from crossing the blue line, hes got some real big balls if he really asked for that kind of money and term.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:55 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
that should be a fun locker room tomorrow.

talking about a player that ( in an off handed way ) demanded his way off long island.
garth offered 12+ for 3 years. ( stupid offer in my eyes )
but baby markie wants more than lubby got........
for a guy that couldnt stop a one legged blind man from crossing the blue line, hes got some real big balls if he really asked for that kind of money and term.
I'm sure the players don't look at it the same way as a HF fan does. He's well respected by his teamates. That's why these guys have agents to separate them from all the BS and just go out and play hockey. If they get into the playoffs and Streit plays well then he will be rewarded by someone in the offseason. He's given us 5 years and he doesn't owe us anything else.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I'm sure the players don't look at it the same way as a HF fan does. He's well respected by his teamates. That's why these guys have agents to separate them from all the BS and just go out and play hockey. If they get into the playoffs and Streit plays well then he will be rewarded by someone in the offseason. He's given us 5 years and he doesn't owe us anything else.
Absolutely right. To add to this: organizations have failures eventually when they pay players for what they did in the past. But organizations also sometimes get going when they pay players for what they did in the past. If the Islanders paid Mark Streit, agents will say "Did you see what the Islanders did to the one in his prime free-agent who signed with them? They took care of him."

They still have plenty of time to work out a deal. Both sides have incentives to make it work. And while I think Streit is banged up and has played way too much this season, I still think he has stuff left in the tank.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:00 AM
chokei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
They still have plenty of time to work out a deal. Both sides have incentives to make it work. And while I think Streit is banged up and has played way too much this season, I still think he has stuff left in the tank.
I can't imagine Streit is asking for $5.5m+, but apparently it is true. I don't think he is worth that right now, and he should better accept that by himself. Altough I have to say there was a time where he was probably worth it, for some time he was a really cheap signing for $4.1m if you consider what he brought to the ice and to the Islanders. Maybe he feels he should get paid now for those days.

Teams/GMs sometimes get themselfes into trouble when they overpay for players that aren't really worth it. Not only do you have an overpaid player on your roster then, but the next, similar player will come and ask for the same money. I can imagine that Streits demands went up when he saw what Visnovsky got. And I can understand if he thinks that he shouldn't get less than Visnovsky, they have a very similar skillset IMO.

If Streit isn't forced to be the #1 do-it-all defenseman then I think he can still be an effective player for some years. Ideally he runs your powerplay and plays in a #2-#4 position next to a reliable defensive defenseman.

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote