HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Acquire Steve Mason; have re-signed him to a 1-yr ($1.5m ext.), Apr. 8

Old
04-04-2013, 12:09 AM
ArmchairGM

vCash: 500
There's something profoundly ironic, and very telling about how great everyone thought Reese was when he came here.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:11 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Um, what?

Trending in two completely separate directions.

I've watched bob a bunch this year, he has been incredibly sound. Which really is not surprising. His skill is obvious
The point is one shortened year isn't enough time to say that he has "solved" anything for anyone.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:14 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
What should bother people about this Mason acquisition is that the goalie carousel in this town continues and doesnt look like it will end...oh and that Bob has ended the BJ's goalie issues.
We'll see. We thout Mason ended their issues 4 years ago.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:17 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
There's something profoundly ironic, and very telling about how great everyone thought Reese was when he came here.
Well they were all wrong then I guess because every goalie with some talent has regressed under his watch. Hopefully he's not around the day when Stolarz gets his chance because it will probably be over before it even starts.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:39 AM
MayonnaiseOreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Dont boo him if he has a bad game, he loses confidence quickly and then blames someone else. He'll let in 6 goals and think only one was his fault.
I hate goalies like that. I played with a few growing up and you just wanted to punch them in the mouth after the games. Then the mom would ***** to the team and you'd want to remind her how fat she was and to stop coddling a 17-year old... anyways I'm rambling a bit. Hopefully Mason proves something because it would be nice for him to turn into something great. I think we need a new goalie coach first though.

MayonnaiseOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:40 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Well... it took a 3rd to get rid of MFL... but at least he is gone. Nobody opened the bench door quite like he did though.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:42 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Mason will play with firmilair faces in Simmonds, Giroux, L. Schenn from the 2008 WJC gold medal sqaud.... cool

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:48 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Yes he is

He has been the worst starting goalie consistantly in NHL ,, He also allows some of the worst goals you will see

You guys happy to replace Leighton with Mason are going to be asking if they are same person after watching Mason in net
LOL.
Just stop. We get your hate for Mason. We all know what Mason is. Michael Leighton is the worst backup in the NHL this season. I really don't think that can be disputed. Bryzgalov made 19 straight starts before this trade. Why? because nobody on the coaching staff trusts the **** that we have backing Bryzgalov up. Leighton is brutally ****ing bad.
I will say this on this trade. Mason is still young and still could turn it around. I am sure he will get a decent look in these final 12 games. I am not worried about it. We are rid of that no good, cancer Michael Leighton. Good ****ing riddance.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I really think Luongo bets amnestied next season, if that is the case id give him a 2 year 10 million dollar deal.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Cyclones Rock

Holmgren must have felt some lingering guilt over saddling us with Jeff Carter and his attitude

Bring breath mints with you whenever you watch Mason play. The experience tends to make one throw up a little in the mouth. He really is as bad as advertised.

No goal is ever his fault; his teammates are always the primary reason for the goal against. He's arrogant without any self awareness.

The good news is that he'll only be a Flyer for a little over 3 weeks. From what I've read on this thread, it seems like Leighton is a fair trade for Mason. Garbage in; Garbage out.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:20 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Best case scenario is this kid comes in, stands on his head and gives management zero reason to send Bryz packing.

What's likely to happen is Mason comes in and puts up Bryz numbers at a fraction of Bryzs cost and still sends the BUM packing.

Im good with either or.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:36 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

i'm just happy that no good cancer Michael Leighton is gone. i don't like "giving" away picks but I can deal with this. Worst case scenario Mason stinks up the joint and the Flyers let him walk away.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:56 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Best case scenario is this kid comes in, stands on his head and gives management zero reason to send Bryz packing.

What's likely to happen is Mason comes in and puts up Bryz numbers at a fraction of Bryzs cost and still sends the BUM packing.

Im good with either or.
Man, you REALLY hate bryz.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:34 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

A good Trade Deadline for Homer IMHO. No stupid moves to get the headline splash and got us a backup Goalie that we needed.
Lets hope that he can get the dollars down for next season on Mason's contract and Mason can find some of his previous form! Mason is still very young which is what everyone has been screaming for right?

OzFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:50 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Khudobin, Anton Already known to be heading to KHL
Emery, Ray Will be re signed.
Backstrom, Niklas Ditto
Howard, Jimmy X3
Nabokov, Evgeni Didn't he shoot us down before?
Greiss, Thomas No idea...Germany?
Smith, Mike Re signed.
Montoya, Al This is the only viable option I can see.
I agree.

Assuming Howard or even Backstrom are headed to FA, let alone that they would even come he (Philly is where goalies go to die) is illusive.

It's like banking on Edler or Enstrom to fix the defense like some people were posting earlier this season. No premium piece ever hits the free agent market unless his health is in jeopardy or he is a greedy ******** who asks for the moon money wise.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:10 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Well they were all wrong then I guess because every goalie with some talent has regressed under his watch. Hopefully he's not around the day when Stolarz gets his chance because it will probably be over before it even starts.
I wouldn't say that. He didn't really have much to work with with Leighton and Bouch. Bob was very raw when he came to the Flyers and he improved some aspects of his game. He has gotten considerably better in Columbus now but that may be a product of playing a lot as he played very similar to what he did here in the beginning of he season. Word on the street is that Bryz isn't exactly receptive to coaching (heard that last year by a two talking heads on NHL radio and network). Reese must love Mason because the Flyers have been trying to get him for years. If Mason is willing to be coached, which I also heard was an issue early in his career but has changed this summer due to his NHL career flushing down the toilet, we will see what Reese really has and that could mean he won't be here to coach Stolarz.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:04 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

when a coach gets fired, do the goalie coaches get the axe along with the rest of the staff?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:08 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
Man, you REALLY hate bryz.
How can one not?

-traded away a very,very good two way C and our captain
-traded away a solid two way C and 60+ pt/season avg player
-traded away up and coming potential elite goaltender

All done in the name of acquiring and keeping Bryz happy.

All for what? So this POS can put up MFL numbers and constantly deflate whatever momentum this team has?

We should have went deep in the playoffs last year and despite the skaters struggling, we came into the elimination game flying. Went up a goal and then Bryz proceeded to give up two back to back terrible goals.

Before that one could say his OT flop in GM3 was terrible.
Before that one could say he did a good job making sure GM1 was much closer than it needed to be.

Now, after a long year of the offense being stuck in neutral and injuries constantly beating our skaters down; we are finally starting to net pucks and for what? So this guy can play like the common beer league goalie?

Eight-two-fookin-four last night off a mere 17 SA! Yet the D CONSTANTLY takes flack. The forwards CONSTANTLY get ripped for not back checking.

Enough is enough. This guy fkin blows and he needs to GTFO.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:36 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
How can one not?

All for what? So this POS can put up MFL numbers and constantly deflate whatever momentum this team has?

We should have went deep in the playoffs last year and despite the skaters struggling, we came into the elimination game flying. Went up a goal and then Bryz proceeded to give up two back to back terrible goals.

Before that one could say he did a good job making sure GM1 was much closer than it needed to be.

Now, after a long year of the offense being stuck in neutral and injuries constantly beating our skaters down; we are finally starting to net pucks and for what? So this guy can play like the common beer league goalie?

Eight-two-fookin-four last night off a mere 17 SA! Yet the D CONSTANTLY takes flack. The forwards CONSTANTLY get ripped for not back checking.

Somebody else gets it. Thank god

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:39 AM
orangecrush8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I really think Luongo bets amnestied next season, if that is the case id give him a 2 year 10 million dollar deal.
I'm 100% on board with signing Luongo if he gets amnestied. I'd even go up to 4 years/18.5 million

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
I'm 100% on board with signing Luongo if he gets amnestied. I'd even go up to 4 years/18.5 million
I'd prefer a three year deal, but I'm also on board with Luongo. He's used to playing under intense pressure.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:09 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
How can one not?

May I inject some context into your rant?

First, the inference that Richards and Carter were dealt explicitly so Bryzgalov could be signed is bull. Maybe that's a small part of the big picture of that soap opera, but top of the list was that management (for whatever reason) wanted them gone.

Second, let's clarify our memories of Bob's time here. An "up and coming potential elite goaltender" is a stretch. He was signed out of nowhere, quickly made a huge case for sticking with the team as the #1. He was the talk of the town and a new star in the league, but then his game started leveling off when other teams started noting the holes in his game: he played hunched down so the top third of the net was significantly exposed, and he was beaten like a rented mule on breakaways / SOs. Then there was the mini-crisis in the series against Buffalo, and many here questioned his mental stamina.

Going with Bob as the #1 the season after would have been a major risk, with the team viewed as Cup contenders, and Bryzgalov's signing (albeit for too many years) was widely praised as a potential end to the perennial goalie crisis. Finally, many (I won't say most) agreed that it made no sense having Bob backing up the clear-cut #1 for so many years and at the salary he was making.

I liked Bob a lot and would have been pleased with keeping him here. But please don't gloss over the kinks in his game that needed work and which questioned his role going forward.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:24 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post

First, the inference that Richards and Carter were dealt explicitly so Bryzgalov could be signed is bull. Maybe that's a small part of the big picture of that soap opera, but top of the list was that management (for whatever reason) wanted them gone.

Second, let's clarify our memories of Bob's time here. An "up and coming potential elite goaltender" is a stretch. He was signed out of nowhere, quickly made a huge case for sticking with the team as the #1. He was the talk of the town and a new star in the league, but then his game started leveling off when other teams started noting the holes in his game: he played hunched down so the top third of the net was significantly exposed, and he was beaten like a rented mule on breakaways / SOs. Then there was the mini-crisis in the series against Buffalo, and many here questioned his mental stamina.

Going with Bob as the #1 the season after would have been a major risk, with the team viewed as Cup contenders, and Bryzgalov's signing (albeit for too many years) was widely praised as a potential end to the perennial goalie crisis. Finally, many (I won't say most) agreed that it made no sense having Bob backing up the clear-cut #1 for so many years and at the salary he was making.

I liked Bob a lot and would have been pleased with keeping him here. But please don't gloss over the kinks in his game that needed work and which questioned his role going forward.
I disagree with your first paragraph. If Richards and Carter didn't go there would be zero chance of Bryz being here. Zip, zero and zilch. We couldn't afford it. Management may have been sore after the 2011 flop, but if there wasnt for the necessity to go find a number one goalie they wouldn't have moved them as quick...if at all.

All the rest about Bob is easily summed up in what I said, and I stand by it. I truly believe he has potential to be an upcoming elite. Anybody that watched the kid play his rookie season knew he had major, major potential off athleticism alone.

Yes hes weakness eventually stood out.
Yes he was a major contributor to why the 2011 ended the way it did.
But hes was a rookie. All things above you expect from a rookie.

All in all one can not look back through the evidence and deny that the cons of bringing Bryz to Philly easily have outweighed the pros.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:26 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post

It's quite apparent that who ever works with the goalies in CBus has worked well with him because he looks like an entirely new goaltender. This worries me about mason. Jackets fans say he looked a ton better but was beaten by bob, however Jeff Reese is a joke.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Slowbro

how can you guys ream bryz then say you want luongo for 4 years? what the **** is wrong with you?

we need a sound defense otherwise luongo would inevitably suffer the same fate bryz is about to.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote