HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver offered Luongo for Scrivens + two 2nd rounders.

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 07:10 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 2 - 1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I think it's unlikely that Dreger is bypassing his cousin(Nonis), going to another Leaf front office exec for inside info.

And why would Gillis leak the info that Dreger reported: Gillis called Nonis 3x between 2 pm- 3 pm pushing Luongo offers, including the Scrivens+ two picks offer?
I won't pretend to understand anything that Gillis does.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

Not that I care, or that It will happen.

But the microscope will be on the Leafs goaltenders going forward for no reason at all; and it's kinda sad.

The media is licking there chops with a "Luongo deal may have gotten them __________" article.

Then we will have the same stuff in the summer time with the fans telling us that "WE are now the ones that have missed out on top 5 goalie, and need to pay a premium"

I hope I am wrong, but as a Leaf fan I always think for the worst.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Grapes03

If I were Roberto Luongo, I would be considering walking right up to Mike Gillis and punching him straight in the face.

"Hey Mike, thanks for treating me like total ******* the past 9 months. I really appreciate how you kept feeding the media my name and details of how you were trying to trade me without telling me any of this first to my face, like a real man would. I have decided that it's in the NHL and City of Vancouver's best interest if you could please take your giant tomato face of a head and shove it straight up your candy-a**"

-Roberto

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 04-04-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: profanity
Old
04-04-2013, 07:37 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Toronto was smart not to trade for him. They can just sign him in the summer after he is bought out.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Bleach Clean

Man, I'm not understanding the anger towards either GM in this case. Van fans will naturally critique "no-nuts" Nonis (a moniker he picked up during his time here. Which if this report is to be believed, only confirms the tag. And Leafs fans will naturally vilify the arrogant devil that is one Mike Gillis. Is Dreger's "information" lol really a springboard to fall into old patterns here or what?

First, I don't buy the report. Gillis has been on record saying that he required a "now" piece to help the team for a cup run. He would get torched for that return because it doesn't satisfy that requirement. Some here in VAN just question Dreger's integrity in general, so you won't get people buying into the leak anyways. Bottom line, Lu wasn't moved. That's all there is to say about it.

Gillis has been on record saying that a deal in the offseason is more likely regardless, so we'll have to wait and see. That's all there really is to see here. Too much anger over little I think.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Philly would probably make it conditional that they take Bryzgalov in the deal and Couturier probably wouldn't be moved in that situation. More realistic would be...

To Van: Bryzgalov, Talbot + 1st in 2014
To Phi: Luongo + mid-late pick.
Teams rarely trade their first anymore, and we can amnesty bryz.

what will happen is that Vancouver will try to deal Him this summer for anything, And if he cant be traded then he will be amnestied. The days of thinking you will be able to acquire an actual asset for Luongo are over.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Macman

This much I know: those Vancouver fans now throwing a tantrum because Toronto wouldn't take such a ridiculous contract would be laughing at the Leafs had a trade been made. It's how it works around here.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
Under normal circumstances, Nonis should have taken that deal in heartbeat, but (for the millionth time) Lou's contract changes the dynamics entirely.

If Gillis was willing to absorb a portion of the cap hit or add futures, I think he and Nonis could have bridged the gap.

As it stands though, I agree with Nonis in rejecting that offer considering all of the variables involved.
This. They wont buy him out because this option is available now. I think any team would take him if they only had to pay Luongo say 4 million a year.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
Toronto was smart not to trade for him. They can just sign him in the summer after he is bought out.
I doubt we can get him signed. His first option is probably Florida.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:48 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Its the term, not the dollars.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:00 AM
tony135420

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
This.

I have to say, I feel for Lu. He's been honest and upfront about the whole situation. Taken it like a trooper. If he's bought out, I'd be for signing him in Toronto.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Tyler Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
this, 6 million > for luongo is good, the term is the killer

Old
04-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Max Quackenbush

GMMG just has to trade Schneider and keep Luongo. He should have done this at the deadline so the team could use the assets this year. GMMG signed Luongo's contract and he just has to learn to love it all over again.

As for Nonis, when Burkie was let go, he thanked everyone by name in the TO front office and ownership except for one person, Darren Dreger, I mean Dave Nonis. It appeared at the time that Nonis, like he had in Vancouver, had prior knowledge of Burkie's demise: Et Tu Brute. Blood, after all, is thicker than water.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:07 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
I hope Roberto gets bought out this summer. He deserves to go somewhere that he's wanted.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:11 AM
kihei

vCash: 50
A long way from Kadri and/or Gardiner+Bozak+1st+no relief on the contract+"your franchise must do this."

I feel sorry for Luongo, though. He's obviously an incredibly nice guy and his story is unfortunately becoming a fable with the theme of "money isn't everything." I have no concern whatsoever for Gillis and the mess that he has gotten his franchise into--the Leafs have enough problems of their own without getting preoccupied with another team's woes--but I feel sympathy for Roberto. There is no cause for gloating here. Time to move on.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Gillis asked for the moon and now he will see Luongo going with a huge buyout or he is forced to take a bad contract back. Now and in the summer, teams knew Luongo was available and they were interested.
Now at the TD, Luu wanted out and TO was interested. Asking for a young backup with potential is fine, wanting the other team to add 2 2nds is not.

Next chance to get Luu away will be the summer. With the Cap going down and knowing that the Nucks have no other choice than getting rid of his contract. Add that Miller will be available, Backstrom as UFA and the situation in ANA or even LA... you can expect a trade like the Campbell for Olesz trade.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Hockey Nightmare

The only way the nucks are getting rid of Lu is if they give him away.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:17 AM
DaveT83*

I'm going to enjoy sitting back and watching this situation in Vancouver continue to blow up in their own faces.

Trading Schneider ...

Or Buying Luongo out ...

Appear to be the only solutions.

Way to go MG!

Old
04-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
A long way from Kadri and/or Gardiner+Bozak+1st+no relief on the contract+"your franchise must do this."

I feel sorry for Luongo, though. He's obviously an incredibly nice guy and his story is unfortunately becoming a fable with the theme of "money isn't everything." I have no concern whatsoever for Gillis and the mess that he has gotten his franchise into--the Leafs have enough problems of their own without getting preoccupied with another team's woes--but I feel sympathy for Roberto. There is no cause for gloating here. Time to move on.
I wouldn't feel too sorry for him. His role in this is just as big as Gillis's, if not bigger. Greed got him where he is. He clearly insisted on such a ridiculous term.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:18 AM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Toronto is going to regret not taking that deal when the Reimer bubble pops. That guy is shaky.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Orca Smash

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
I'm going to enjoy sitting back and watching this situation in Vancouver continue to blow up in their own faces.

Trading Schneider ...

Or Buying Luongo out ...

Appear to be the only solutions.

Way to go MG!
Likewise going to enjoy seeing reimer and scrivins in playoffs.

But I am sure this is just an experiment year anyway? Leafs dont make playoffs for 8 years and have the luxury of testing the waters with reimer.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:26 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
Toronto is going to regret not taking that deal when the Reimer bubble pops. That guy is shaky.
If he's shaky now, I can't imagine how much he's going to dominate when he's not shaky.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:27 AM
tony135420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I wouldn't feel too sorry for him. His role in this is just as big as Gillis's, if not bigger. Greed got him where he is. He clearly insisted on such a ridiculous term.
A little over dramatic. And I didn't realize you had inside information on how the contract negotiations went down. For all we know, Gillis wanted a longer term to bring down the cap hit. Consider when he signed the extension, he was one of the elite goalies in the league. All though, I do agree both parties are the reason for this situation.

For me, it's more that it's not like Lu has lost a step or played poorly before the Canucks handed the starting job over to Schneider. Yes he had a poor playoffs, but he was a major reason they were there in the first place. The whole situation could've been handled better by the Canucks IMO.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:27 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Myers View Post
this, 6 million > for luongo is good, the term is the killer
This, of course. His contract runs until he is 43. 43! And when he retires early due it being a front loaded deal,.the team is on the hook for cap penalties under the new cba.

Gillis is crazy if he things Luongo can net any return at all. The return is another team taking on that contract. Thats it.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
Nope. Having a crappy goalie > That contract for 9 more years.

EDIT: And I'm not implying Reimer is a crappy goalie. It's a general statement.

If we desperately need a goalie in the offseason (we wont), we can look to trade for Miller. It'll cost more, but his contract is good, and it wont bog us down for the next decade.

Closed Thread