HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver offered Luongo for Scrivens + two 2nd rounders.

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
Toronto is going to regret not taking that deal when the Reimer bubble pops. That guy is shaky.
You may be right here, but there will never be regret about not taking on that contract. Most insiders....and most sane Leaf fans, never picked the Leafs to do anything regarding playoffs this year anyway. At this point and time, bringing in Luongo gurantees us nothing that Reimer can't offer. I find it funny that for 3 seasons (when healthy) Reimer has put up very nice numbers....yet everybody is still waiting for the "bubble to pop". Woudn't it be a shock if Reimer actually is as good as his numbers show....

Old
04-04-2013, 08:29 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
I doubt we can get him signed. His first option is probably Florida.
That is assuming Florida wants him. Isnt their young guy playing really well??

Old
04-04-2013, 08:31 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Toronto is going to regret not taking that deal when the Reimer bubble pops. That guy is shaky.
Even if Reimer does get shaky.

Its still better for the leafs not to be stuck with that contract.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Hotshot320

Gillis is not going to buy out Luongo...

I see him being traded to the Leafs at the draft for a 4th round pick. Unless of course Reimer plays amazing for the rest of the year.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Likewise going to enjoy seeing reimer and scrivins in playoffs.

But I am sure this is just an experiment year anyway? Leafs dont make playoffs for 8 years and have the luxury of testing the waters with reimer.
I assume this is supposed to be an insult....but you are actually correct. This is Nonis' first year to evaluate what he has, so in essence, ya....it's an experiment. Well, that and the goalie he has now is currently posting better numbers than the one he was offered.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
You may be right here, but there will never be regret about not taking on that contract. Most insiders....and most sane Leaf fans, never picked the Leafs to do anything regarding playoffs this year anyway. At this point and time, bringing in Luongo gurantees us nothing that Reimer can't offer. I find it funny that for 3 seasons (when healthy) Reimer has put up very nice numbers....yet everybody is still waiting for the "bubble to pop". Woudn't it be a shock if Reimer actually is as good as his numbers show....
Yeah. Looks like his bubble ain't popping any time soon.

60 games when he's healthy he puts up .920SV on a team primarily coached by Wilson.

34 games in a season where he had a concussion: .900SV.

He's not a .920 goalie nor is he a .900 goalie. The truth lies somewhere between .910 - .920...and at least he doesn't get rattled when he lets in a weak goal..

Looks to me that no one wants to admit that Reimer is at least a middle of the pack goalie.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:35 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot320 View Post
Gillis is not going to buy out Luongo...

I see him being traded to the Leafs at the draft for a 4th round pick. Unless of course Reimer plays amazing for the rest of the year.
I dont think he will have much choice. No one will give anything of value for him and any deal would mean the canucks keeping some of that salary IMO

better to just suck it up and buy him out. Cut your losses before it gets worse.

Old
The Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Van fans will naturally critique "no-nuts" Nonis
Wasn't it "Cheezburger" Nonis?

Old
madmike77

Quote:
Cause Lou is the ultimate playoff performer?

Old
Macman

Quote:
Why would they regret it when Luongo will still be sitting there in the summer? There are no expectations in Toronto. The Leafs aren't winning the Cup and they know it. If Reimer flames out, they can revisit their goaltending then. In the meantime, Reimer has proven he deserves a chance.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post
IF true, i'm kind of happy about this (non trade). It doesn't make us any better this year. It doesn't really make us any better next year.

It sucks for Lu a bit, but as far as the Canucks go, not so much. Even for him, would he prefer to start 10 games on the Leafs and potentially play-offs or 4-5 games on the Canucks and potentially play-offs? I don't think i'm too one-eyed in suggesting that he has a better chance to go further in the finals with us.

If we get a better return at the draft, great. If we get an equal return at the draft, no problem. If we get a worse return, so be it. No matter what happens he has to be off the books next year so he gets to start again and we get the cap space. I'm sure HF will go mental though.
Chances are that it will be worse than this at the draft.

Now every team knows what Nonis wanted...and was rejected, in a sellers market. Why would a team now offer more? They know that Nonis would say yes to a comparable deal. Someone will squeeze him for less.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Why would they regret it when Luongo will still be sitting there in the summer? There are no expectations in Toronto. The Leafs aren't winning the Cup and they know it. If Reimer flames out, they can revisit their goaltending then. In the meantime, Reimer has proven he deserves a chance.
Exactly. Luongo will still be there. Nobody is kicking tires, nobody is past kicking tires, doesn't seem like there is any mystery team where a deal has been made in "principle"

Old
04-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Pierre Gotye

Gillis has to realize if he intends to flip Luongo to the Maple Leafs the scenery has changed.

Nonis is now dealing from a position of strength, and Gillis is now dealing from a position of weakness.

Even Scrivens for Luongo straight-up is a pretty fair deal. The Canucks get a very capable up and coming net-minder who can play, and the Leafs are taking on a player with a contract most teams shy away from.

Anything beyond that is very questionable. For Nonis, he has to be thinking about the summer of 2013, and what's going to be available. He has to sign Bozak, MacArthur, Franson and Kadri. All will vary between $2.0-3.5 just depending on the player. Averaging that out, that's basically Luongo's contract alone.

Luongo just doesn't make sense for the Leafs at this point, and might not ever. I'd even venture to say the window on Luongo has closed and the sun has set. Scrivens and Reimer are ok at this point, and seem to be getting better. There's only been a small handful of games this year both goalies are responsible for losing. Which is what any team is supposed to expect from a goalie tandem.

If the need is to find a veteran goaltender, the summer of 2013 will present plenty of options: Backstrom, Khabibulin, Howard, Smith, Ellis...there will be plenty of options there for Nonis to choose from if he feels he has to go down that lane.

As for Scrivens and the rest of the Leafs prospectus system, the Leafs are better served by holding their hand, and eventually using those assets towards realistic team needs, among them: A #1C, an obvious need.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:40 AM
TieClark

Gillis has absolutely pooped the bed on this whole situation. They're going to get far less now that they could before with miller, bernier and smith all becoming available

Old
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

60 games when he's healthy he puts up .920SV on a team primarily coached by Wilson.

He's not a .920 goalie nor is he a .900 goalie. The truth lies somewhere between .910 - .920...and at least he doesn't get rattled when he lets in a week goal..

Looks to me that no one wants to admit that Reimer is at least a middle of the pack goalie.
As i said before, i had zero expectations this year. If we make the postseason, i will be very excited to see how ALL of our players perform...especially Reimer, Kessel, Grabo and our defense. This will give us a real indication of where we are.

Old
kihei

vCash: 4667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I wouldn't feel too sorry for him. His role in this is just as big as Gillis's, if not bigger. Greed got him where he is. He clearly insisted on such a ridiculous term.
I'm not exonerating him; he indeed signed the contract. But who wouldn't have done so? If you were offered that deal, would you have had the presence of mind to figure out that you might regret it someday, a deal that offers security for your family for generations to come? I don't know if you sign, but I sure as hell would have. Unintended consequences are the worm in the apple, but I can't imagine many of us would have had the moxie to see them coming either.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbearcub View Post
After the initial anger and frustration of not being able to move lu, i've calmed down a bit and think the canucks could potentially get a better deal at the draft. It might be the best time to deal him then. Depending on how the canucks do in the playoffs, if they fail, they may make a bit of an overhaul.
I have to completely disagree. The window is closed and the offers are only going to get worse.

There's just too many goalies.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Dreger also said in the summer it was Bozak + Kadri + 1st.

I'm glad Nonnis didn't take this, 2x 2nd round picks is two decent picks.

We're not the penguins.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I'm not exonerating him; he indeed signed the contract. But who wouldn't have done so? If you were offered that deal, would you have had the presence of mind to figure out that you might regret it someday, a deal that offers security for your family for generations to come? I don't know if you sign, but I sure as hell would have. Unintended consequences are the worm in the apple, but I can't imagine many of us would have had the moxie to see them coming either.
True..how can anyone blame Luongo? He can't peek into the future and see what's in store for him and Schneider. That's why Gillis is the GM, it's his job to figure out what he had in Schneider and pay Luongo accordingly.

Why couldn't he have given him the deal that the Sedins got? Teams would be interested in Luongo if his contract still had 4 years left at 6M.

40M is not a small amount and 9 years is a lot.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

He's not a .920 goalie nor is he a .900 goalie. The truth lies somewhere between .910 - .920...and at least he doesn't get rattled when he lets in a weak goal..

As a Flyers fan...my honest opinion.

I think Reimer has EARNED the opportunity to take this team into the playoffs this year. I do think that Luongo is presently better, but how is a young goalie supposed to get experience if he doesn't play? The Leafs can always add a CHEAP vet as a back-up if they want to in the offseason. The leafs only deal for Lou if Reimer shows he 100% is not going lead them. And so far, he has led them to the playoffs.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Ruski

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
I dont think he will have much choice. No one will give anything of value for him and any deal would mean the canucks keeping some of that salary IMO

better to just suck it up and buy him out. Cut your losses before it gets worse.
I don't think the Canucks owners are willing to drop $30+ mil on a buyout. I am curious though:

"Can a team utilize one of the "compliance buyouts" and then re-sign the play they just bought out?"

Idea is that Leafs ownership has $, perhaps at the draft Leafs can make a deal with Canucks, buy-out Luongos contract and re-sign him to a ~5 year, cap friendly deal?

Luongo gets freed of that contract, he gets paid big $$$ up front and he gets a new contract to boot.

Obviously, i am not sure the Rogers/Bell are keen on spending tens of millions just to acquire a goalie, but if there is one team that can afford it, its the Leafs...

Thoughts?

Old
04-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post

They'd have to swallow 27 million to buy him out, if they can move him for a pick and eat some salary, they'll do that first.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Gillis has absolutely pooped the bed on this whole situation. They're going to get far less now that they could before with miller, bernier and smith all becoming available
Gillis should have forced the trade in the summer when the Leafs still had questions in goal. They really don't anymore.

Kadri was still a very questionable prospect, and Bozak was still a moveable piece.

Yeah, he basically flubbed this trade.

For the Leafs if they do intend on adding a vet, there will be plenty of other options to choose from in the summer.

If Gillis wants to stick Luo on the Leafs...he needed to eat some bad contracts going back the other way, among them: Komisarek and Connolly were options for him. Komi's contract at least runs for another year.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruski View Post
I don't think the Canucks owners are willing to drop $30+ mil on a buyout. I am curious though:

"Can a team utilize one of the "compliance buyouts" and then re-sign the play they just bought out?"

Idea is that Leafs ownership has $, perhaps at the draft Leafs can make a deal with Canucks, buy-out Luongos contract and re-sign him to a ~5 year, cap friendly deal?

Luongo gets freed of that contract, he gets paid big $$$ up front and he gets a new contract to boot.

Obviously, i am not sure the Rogers/Bell are keen on spending tens of millions just to acquire a goalie, but if there is one team that can afford it, its the Leafs...

Thoughts?
No. Once bought out you can not re-sign the player.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
As a Flyers fan...my honest opinion.

I think Reimer has EARNED the opportunity to take this team into the playoffs this year. I do think that Luongo is presently better, but how is a young goalie supposed to get experience if he doesn't play? The Leafs can always add a CHEAP vet as a back-up if they want to in the offseason. The leafs only deal for Lou if Reimer shows he 100% is not going lead them. And so far, he has led them to the playoffs.
I agree with all your points. It just not fair to a young goalie if you bring in Luongo right now.

IMO Nonis and Gillis will revisit Luongo depending on what transpires from here to the end of the playoffs.

Right now, Reimer has earned the right to be the starter of this team. It is up to Reimer to prove that the Leafs don't need Luongo. His play will dictate what the Leafs do in the offseason.

Closed Thread