HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs recall Joe Colborne

Old
04-04-2013, 09:57 AM
mokspeed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Joe is a 2008 draft pick in the first rd, some of the players in this draft have already played 300+ NHL games. The kid does not need more time, it is time for the training wheels to come off, he will be here next year anyway, I applaud Nonis for calling him up so we can see what we got here. Anymore time in the AHL and it might be hurting his development, the key here is unlike his first call up, he is 100% healthy now. Important to note this for those that didn't know.
I'll admit I haven't watched him in the AHL since the lockout ended, but I don't think you should be comparing him to others in this draft year. Some people did that for Kadri, over the past few years, but look how our waiting has turned out for him lol

Also, I don't know why everyone is hating so much on Grabo - he's not producing like before because he's been trying to play shutdown #3C this season - something he is NOT. I like Grabo, but he doesn't fit into the #3C role. It will be interesting to see what happens with Bozak next year.

mokspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Why not. He prolly won't play though,

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mess
Global Moderator

If I said it once I've said it a thousand times .. "Play the Kids" ..

Welcome back Joey C. looking forward to see you in the line-up again.

Management is testing how much they need Bozak going forward and if they have an internal replacement.

04-04-2013, 09:59 AM
NigelTufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokspeed View Post
I'll admit I haven't watched him in the AHL since the lockout ended, but I don't think you should be comparing him to others in this draft year. Some people did that for Kadri, over the past few years, but look how our waiting has turned out for him lol

Also, I don't know why everyone is hating so much on Grabo - he's not producing like before because he's been trying to play shutdown #3C this season - something he is NOT. I like Grabo, but he doesn't fit into the #3C role. It will be interesting to see what happens with Bozak next year.
Not hating, I just think he could use a bit of a wake-up call, and a couple games in the press box can do that.

NigelTufnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:59 AM
mokspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

Management is testing how much they need Bozak going forward and if they have an internal replacement.
Joey Crabbe?? haha jk

Agreed though - if Bozak walks, it would go Kadri, Grabo, Colborne, McClement - which isn't too bad. I'd prefer to keep Bozak though

mokspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Joe is a 2008 draft pick in the first rd, some of the players in this draft have already played 300+ NHL games. The kid does not need more time, it is time for the training wheels to come off, he will be here next year anyway, I applaud Nonis for calling him up so we can see what we got here. Anymore time in the AHL and it might be hurting his development, the key here is unlike his first call up, he is 100% healthy now. Important to note this for those that didn't know.
Apples and Oranges. Colborne came through the NCAA route which generally means they take longer to get the NHL than players from Canadian Junior leagues. Not only that, timetable for making the NHL is not same for all players. Joe has suffered some injury problems that has probably stunted his development. A good showing for the Marlies in the playoffs this season, where he will be relied on heavily, will do wonders for his development, IMO.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Agreed. Bozak is one of those players we probably dont realize how much is needed until he is gone. He is mis-cast as a #1 centre, but the bottom line is that Kadri and Lupul are now the real #1 line. Hoping he can be signed for around 4 million a year, which is probably fair and a likely much less than what it will cost to sign the likes of Ribiero, Weiss or Roy.
Yep, as we know, it is not as easy playing with Kessel as is widely believed here. This usually means you are facing the top defensive pairing on a nightly basis.

Many have been tried, and Bozak has been the best C to date for this line. If Bozak is hurt, I bet many that complain about him will realize it is not easy replacing his 20 mins a night, he is one of our most valuable support players, he allows JVR and Kessel to run out there and create offence, not many #1C's will selflessly do this, I know a few posters want Grabo, who has turned every winger he has played with this year to stone, would not be this selfless. It takes a mentality of humbleness to play with Kessel and JVR, Bozak does this just fine.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:

This is what I am thinking too. Bozak is a UFA this summer and I have heard rumblings that he is goign to demand around the ballpark of 5 mil/per, so it would be interesting to see what Colborne has in him. If he is fully ready and impresses, he may be able to lock up 3rd line C spot and make Bozak expendable.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Sterling31
YNWA

Any way that this a Brian Burke type reward for his play? No Christmas this year, but in the past we saw players up for a short stint for a bonus.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

This is what I am thinking too. Bozak is a UFA this summer and I have heard rumblings that he is going to demand around the ballpark of 5 mil/per or at-least an upward of 4 million to say the least. so it would be interesting to see what Colborne has in him. If he is fully ready and impresses, he may be able to lock up 3rd line C spot and make Bozak expendable.

Old
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Also good, his size vs the Pliers.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
This is what I am thinking too. Bozak is a UFA this summer and I have heard rumblings that he is going to demand around the ballpark of 5 mil/per or at-least an upward of 4 million to say the least. so it would be interesting to see what Colborne has in him. If he is fully ready and impresses, he may be able to lock up 3rd line C spot and make Bozak expendable.
He doesn't deserve over 2.5

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Delete

Old
04-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Interactif

Quote:

I think Nonis would rather buy out Grabo this summer, and allocate those funds to Bozak.

I am sure Randy Carlyle would endorse this, just look at who is in the better books of the coach, and how Nonis did not budge trading Bozak this year, despite Gillis trying awful hard to get him.

Nonis, RC, and Gillis all value Bozak, maybe some of our fans are wrong on the guy.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:16 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
If a guy like Travis Zajac, who's more or less comparable to Bozak is virtually every stat can get 8 years at $5.75M then yeah, Bozak deserves over $2.5.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:18 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

If Bozak has the balls to ask for anywhere even close to 5 million, I'd bring that ass to the draft, so I could ship him out, and make him walk across the draft floor, to the table of his new team, like a shamed dog.

Pretty audacious for a guy who plays the role of a 3C, on the 1st line.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:19 AM
NigelTufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Disagree.

He's been steadily improving since he got here, he's got a good mix of skills, and I think you might be undervaluing him a tad.

NigelTufnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:21 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
Quote:
Me too! I'm betting on the character of Joe Colborne that he will be a top 6 C, he wants to be better, has put in the time, has all the tools to do it.

There are naysayers as there were for Kadri, I have never been one of them. Joe's skillset is closer to a top 6C than a bottom 6 C.
Yes, but who would he replace?

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TML91

McLaren has the flu so that is why Colborne is up could be a Blacker type situation

TML91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokspeed View Post

Grabo has been bad since RC became coach, he misses Ron Wilson more than anything else.

There's a video of Kule's 30 goals 2 years ago, and it proves Grabo was not a factor in Kule's career year, Macarthur was.

The guy as I have been saying for years now, has pulled the wool over Leafs fans, but some are now realizing just how bad he truly is.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:23 AM
TmlHockeyFan

One thing I'm interested in seeing is whether he's good at faceoffs. He's probably better than Kadri in this area CONSIDERING THAT HE WAS ACTUALLY GROOMED AS A CENTRE OVER THE YEARS. I still think management should have groomed Kadri as a centre but oh well, Kadri is on a tear anyways.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Let Bozak walk during the offseason, trade Grabo + prospect + picks for stastny and promote Colborne to the 3rd line C.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kibago

Bozak as a UFA deserves $4 mil a year easily. someone will probably give him $5 mil for 4-5 years if we don't lock him up ourselves.

and he should be re-signed because he's a really good fit on this specific team. i think another team getting him at $4.5 mil a year would end up a bit disappointed, but we would not.

as for the topic at hand, good for Colborne. agreed that it'd be nice to get him a game - never a bad thing to add an enthusiastic call-up to spark the lineup for a bit!

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vor
RIP Lounge

vCash: 50
Quote:

This is my feeling too. If Colborne plays well, i think we say adios to Bozak. However i really hope we dont play big Joe on the bottom two lines, id be pleased if Bozak went to the 3rd line, Grabo to 4th, and Colborne slotted in with Kessel for at least a few shifts to see how he handles it.

Vor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Sometimes I forget that we have this kid, he's quietly doing very well in the AHL and I bet he's also inspired by Kadri's huge elevation of play.

Excited for him tonight, if he does lace up.

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote