HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYR/CBJ] Gaborik, Delisle, Parlett to Columbus for Brassard, Dorsett, J. Moore, 6th

Old
04-04-2013, 03:09 AM
FromTheSide

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Don't kid yourselves. Rangers fans will miss gaborik. Any bandwagoners that are trashing his name are clueless.

Also. at the top of their games Gaborik is better than Nash and that should say alot considering Nash is now a ranger and Gaborik is not.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:12 AM
Sticky Fingers

The Rangers fan using a one game sample size to proclaim them self winners in the deal

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:22 AM
DoubleDose86

vCash: 50
I'm loving this year for Columbus, tried to get Carter and didn't work for them, so they just keep at it, get Bob now Gaborik. They're tired of being at the bottom and showing the league that they aren't afraid to make moves.

DoubleDose86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:54 AM
TSA0402

Difference is Gaborik has had previous success with Prospal.

Carter was supposed to help propel Nash, but really he was the wrong kind of player for that(turns out, Nash really doesnt need it).

Columbus paid a premium, but in my opinion, most of the pieces were expendable. Anisimov is playing as well if not better, Johansen has much more upside and needs an opportunity. Moore was expendable because of the emergence of Erixon, Prout. Dorsett will be missed, but for a top line player one more year. Easy answer.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:17 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Don't kid yourselves. Rangers fans will miss gaborik. Any bandwagoners that are trashing his name are clueless.

Also. at the top of their games Gaborik is better than Nash and that should say alot considering Nash is now a ranger and Gaborik is not.
Well said. Gaborik was after all pretty good signing for Rangers.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:20 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
The Rangers fan using a one game sample size to proclaim them self winners in the deal
I don't think those guys were serious. I guess it's more guys getting a good laugh at all the people saying it was a bad trade and 2 of the 3 new guys scoring goals.

All in all, I feel this is one of the few trades over the years which makes 2 teams better. The Rangers get a more depth, which we obviously lacked. We have a 3rd line center in Brassard, a 4th line enforcer in Dorsett and a talented D-man who pushes Hamrlik out of the line-up.

We gave up Gaborik, yes. But we needed to do that. We cannot afford his 7.5 m/y cap hit. We have players like Hagelin and McDonagh to re-sign soon and getting 3 players for less bucks on the cap hit just works for us. Gaborik scored 40+ goals, yes. However, the Rangers are better off with 3 lines scoring rather than having 1 top line. Depth is really underrated by many. Despite this feeling like one of those NHL13 trades, we do not live in a NHL13 world where you can have 3 forwards making 22 million a year on your top line and having to rely on them game after game.

What also made the trade easier to accept is the short term left on Gabby's contract. I am a bit sad for not getting a 1st round pick but going 1 draft year without a top pick isn't hurting us in the long run. We have talented guys in Kreider, Miller, Thomas, McIlrath, Fasth, Lindberg and Skjei for the near future. On top of that, our core is still very young.

Defensively we have Girardi (28), Stralman (26), Staal (26), Sauer (25, although he might retire due to his concussion), McDonagh (23), Moore (22) and del Zotto (22).

Up front we have Nash (28), Callahan (28), Powe (27), Dorsett (26), Zucarello (25), Brassard (25), Hagelin (24) and Stepan (22).

All these guys are still in their 20's. We're not Calgary (no offense). Are we going to miss Gaborik? YES! Both as a player and as a person. Will we go forward without him? I really think we will.

04-04-2013, 06:27 AM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
I can't help but think cbj is hosed with this trade, Dorsett and Brassard are standout players that could be top 6 eventually. Gaborik is nice, but I'm scared he won't produce his usual numbers on cbj. Each team got what they wanted though.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Well said. Gaborik was after all pretty good signing for Rangers.
Absolutely brilliant signing by the Rangers. Picked up without giving any assets as a UFA, got a couple of 40g seasons from him, then turn that into 3 20-something NHL players while freeing up cap space. For a franchise that doesn't deliberately tank to get top 5 picks on a regular basis, Sather's Rangers have done a great job in the salary cap era in managing assets.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:32 AM
mich25

As a Bruins fans I'm very happy Gaborik is no longer on the Rangers! He was a Bruins killer. Big fan of his. He's clutch and plays well against good defensive teams.

mich25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:35 AM
Black Tank

I don't know (or even care) who "won" this trade. All I know is that the Rangers had a horrific chemistry problem and something had to be done. The easy way out would have been to fire the coach like most teams do, but it looks like NY went for a bolder approach by removing Gaborik and bringing in Clowe, Brassard and Moore.

BTW, I like Gaborik but his streakiness wore me out. I think all his goals have come in a handful of games and that was true even in the 40g seasons I believe.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:41 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelanstorm View Post
I can't help but think cbj is hosed with this trade, Dorsett and Brassard are standout players that could be top 6 eventually. Gaborik is nice, but I'm scared he won't produce his usual numbers on cbj. Each team got what they wanted though.
As a CBJ fan, Derek Dorsett is not a top 6 player. He is exactly what he is. A 3rd liner with a ton of heart and grit and will be good for maybe 10 goals a year. He had 12 last season.

Brassard has the potential to be a good top 6 player but it never really materialized consistently but I thought he played pretty well this year. He can be a solid #2 Center but he isn't physical enough to be a 3rd liner C.

The highest upside is probably actually John Moore. I'm still pretty high on him to have a long career in the NHL but the CBJ's D depth really made him expendable.

I do agree both teams got what they want. CBJ desperately need someone to score some goals and the Rangers get some much needed depth back that was lost when they sent Anisimov and Dubinsky to Columbus last summer.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:06 AM
dashripdot

Quote:

Gaborik is excellent when he's in position to use his wrist shot, but his penchant (over the past two seasons) of carrying the puck into the zone and pulling up with nowhere to go seriously hampered some of his production (even with the 40+ he scored last season). Nash makes his own way, effectively carries the puck to the net, is very hard to knock off the puck, has tremendous reach that he uses to his team's advantage, is a better shooter from further out and is also an excellent distributer. Nash also plays better in his own end.

Last edited by dashripdot: 04-04-2013 at 07:27 AM.
dashripdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:45 AM

when you look at this trade and take it back to the Nash deal...the Rangers and Blue Jackets have essentially swapped top 9 players and prospects for each other

Talk about re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic

Yawn

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Sather is clownshoes
See... Its **** like this that pisses me off.

We trade a star for some young pieces and we get hosed. We trade for the STAR we get hosed. CLB trades for a slightly over the hill star and its a great deal.

Look what Pitt did with Iginla & Morrow. If the Rangers make those same two acquisitions it is "Rangers trying to buy the cup again" but since it is the Penguins every one regards it as great moves.

The Ranger hate around here such an effing joke.

04-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post

I actually see it more as an indictment of how little other fanbases know of the players on the Jackets. Because the play in Columbus, fans just assume they're no good. So they see the names, no picks, and just assume Sather made a bad deal. Because why would any team want any player from Columbus?

I won't promise that Moore and Brassard will produce like they did last night, but they're a lot better players than most gave them credit for. And when you guy get Dorsett, you'll love 'em.

Look how well Nash is doing for you guys. Look how happy Sens fans are with Methot. We have some quality players in Columbus, it's just a shame more posters from other fanbases don't know that.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:34 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcarder View Post
Gaborik and Prospal, reunited.
When i think of these two and your post

I heard this in my head

Hope Columbus makes the playoffs and Gabby lights up.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:47 AM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
when you look at this trade and take it back to the Nash deal...the Rangers and Blue Jackets have essentially swapped top 9 players and prospects for each other

Talk about re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic

Yawn
Not even close. Rick Nash is in his prime and signed long-term. Gaborik is playing some crappy hockey, is 31, and will be free to leave at the end of next season. That's not to say he can't turn it around, but Nash is the far superior player, both right now and in the long-term.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:59 AM
BPD

Good god, am I the only poster here who thinks this was a good hockey trade? Seriously?

The Jackets had expendable depth and needed a scorer. The Rangers had an expendable scorer and needed depth. Both got what they wanted. End.

The ONLY way this trade goes lopsided is if Brassard or Moore realize their draft potential or Gaborik suddenly becomes Sidney Crosby.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:01 AM
eco's bones

Quote:

Hope Gaborik the best but I prefer Nash as a player. Rick has a more all around game--much more physical, better defensively, can even pk. Nash is much more likely to make a play out of nothing or go the length of the ice (with or without his line mates along for the ride) and create an opportunity out of nothing. Gaborik is more of a sniper type and he wasn't sniping much this year. He depends on his line mates a lot more and when there's no chemistry his game shuts down and when he's not scoring he's not doing much else. He's average at best defensively and not very physical. If he were scoring it would make up for some of these deficiencies--he wouldn't be the -8 he is now.

I like Marian. He's a good guy and a real talent. Not sure whether he's declining. Hopefully this move lights a fire for him. He's been good year, bad year, good year, bad year but he's also getting older and he's had a number of injuries. Beyond that when your team is struggling and you're not getting production out of $7.5 mil cap hit player that's a big problem.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Not even close. Rick Nash is in his prime and signed long-term. Gaborik is playing some crappy hockey, is 31, and will be free to leave at the end of next season. That's not to say he can't turn it around, but Nash is the far superior player, both right now and in the long-term.
Take the players swapped in the Nash trade and the players just swapped in the Gaborik deal...seems just like a really, really big blockbuster trade that took months to complete

all both teams have done is re-arrange the deck chairs on the titanic...

Not a big fan of Rick Nash who I've always thought was one of the league's most overrated players (doesn't mean he's useless) and Gaborik is a bit of a flake as far as i'm concerned. They're basically the same version of themselves except Nash gets less flak because he's canadian

Sorry...it's a wash for me

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:41 AM
MayonnaiseOreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich25 View Post
As a Bruins fans I'm very happy Gaborik is no longer on the Rangers! He was a Bruins killer. Big fan of his. He's clutch and plays well against good defensive teams.
What about next season when they're in your division?

MayonnaiseOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Dan the bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Absolutely brilliant signing by the Rangers. Picked up without giving any assets as a UFA, got a couple of 40g seasons from him, then turn that into 3 20-something NHL players while freeing up cap space. For a franchise that doesn't deliberately tank to get top 5 picks on a regular basis, Sather's Rangers have done a great job in the salary cap era in managing assets.
Hell YEAH!!!But seriously, this is good hockey trade for both team.NY brings some elements that was missing(dept at center,grit left by the departure of Prust).CLB got a premium goal scorer that like to be the main man.

Dan the bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
See... Its **** like this that pisses me off.

We trade a star for some young pieces and we get hosed. We trade for the STAR we get hosed. CLB trades for a slightly over the hill star and its a great deal.

Look what Pitt did with Iginla & Morrow. If the Rangers make those same two acquisitions it is "Rangers trying to buy the cup again" but since it is the Penguins every one regards it as great moves.

Actually some people were saying we were trying to buy the cup and that we'd be expected to win the cup or at least get to the final now.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:39 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
When have the Rangers ever offer-sheeted anyone? I will wait for you to do some research before talking out of your ass.
Joe Sakic, but that was Neil Smith, not Glen Sather.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Actually some people were saying we were trying to buy the cup and that we'd be expected to win the cup or at least get to the final now.
That may be true, but it is not near the extent that it would have been if the Rangers acquired Iginla & Morrow.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote