HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erat & Michael Latta to the Capitals for Filip Forsberg

Old
04-04-2013, 02:54 AM
Neal Before Zod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
Neh - ver ... Never ... lol
Yeah. Never going to be happy about Detroit. Obviously living around here, there are plenty of Wings fans, and I will say I have made friends with a few of them. But I will never cheer for that team.

Will I hate them less? Maybe.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:19 AM
hoosierpred

I'm happy with this trade, but puzzled

As i have said before on these boards, I am for rebuilding at this time rather than going hard for the playoffs this year. I think this trade is a good one for the future of Nashville, even though it involves one of my favorites and part of my favorite all time nashville duo (erat/orszagh). That being said, i am a little puzzled that after knowing we had to make this trade, why didn't we go all out? Losing Erat this year certainly puts a damper on playoff hopes, so why not trade Gill, Legwand, etc. and really stock up for the future?

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:40 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierpred View Post
As i have said before on these boards, I am for rebuilding at this time rather than going hard for the playoffs this year. I think this trade is a good one for the future of Nashville, even though it involves one of my favorites and part of my favorite all time nashville duo (erat/orszagh). That being said, i am a little puzzled that after knowing we had to make this trade, why didn't we go all out? Losing Erat this year certainly puts a damper on playoff hopes, so why not trade Gill, Legwand, etc. and really stock up for the future?
What good would moving more of the roster really do for the team in the near and long terms? Erat was moved for a legit asset, not a future pick like we saw in so many of the trades this deadline. Worst case, Forsberg comes to Nashville in the fall ... best case, in the next couple of weeks.

Legwand is performing. Gill is a role player on the 3rd pair and PK, but he does those jobs fairly well. There is a huge difference in making a player move because the return makes sense and conducting a firesale like we went through in 2007 or like the Flames and Stars did this deadline.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:50 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierpred View Post
Legwand has a NTC

Gill has another year on his deal which might have actually decreased his attractiveness as a "rental" acquisition.

I suspect if someone had offered us a good return for Gill he'd be gone

its a shame Hannan was hurt. Had he been healthy and playing every night he would have probably netted a higher pick

as I have said before this moved was forced on Poile. He did the best he could but its still not a move you make unless you are in full blown rebuild mode, and we are not in that mode. And being forced to make this move does not mean we must go in rebuild mode and dump all our vets.

Poile is now pretty much forced to acquire at least one top 6 forward this summer either by trade or free agency.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:14 AM
hoosierpred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post

Legwand is performing. Gill is a role player on the 3rd pair and PK, but he does those jobs fairly well. There is a huge difference in making a player move because the return makes sense and conducting a firesale like we went through in 2007 or like the Flames and Stars did this deadline.
It is just because Legwand is performing now that I think we could have got a pretty good return. What sort of pick do you think a package of Lewand and Gill could have brougth back to us?

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Nothing Is New

Love it for Preds. For whatever reason, Erat didn't look the same to me this year. The fire wasn't there. Forsberg is an elite prospect. With him, an early number one this year and Ellis and Wilson and Weber and Josi, there's hope!

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:16 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
The system doesn't hinder Erat as much as line mates. Play him with Ovechkin and expect 80 pts because he is very good at passing and can still score goals. On the 3rd line with no PP time, expect around the 35-40 points.
If Erat gets 80 points, I'll quit HF after 10 years.

You're blaming "the system" for Erat's okay production, and that's ludicrous. He's historically played with good linemates, and he's been historically "pretty good." With that said, there's been an obvious regression in his ability in the last couple of seasons. He's always held on to the puck for too long, he's always attempted passes when there was a clear shot, but statistically his corsi and fenwick numbers, as well as turnovers, are trending the wrong way. You can blame linemates for that, but i don't buy all of that.

Erat has been a good player for the Predators, but I think you're setting unreal expectations for Capitals fans. He's a very good player when he's on, but I'd stop short of calling him some sort of star.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:18 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Two thoughts after being able to sleep on this. Both positive:

1) Great return for a player who wanted out as of a couple weeks ago. This deadline saw small returns (IMO) for most of the trades. If it was common knowledge that Erat wanted out, I would have expected a 2nd and mid prospect. We ended up with a better return than what Iggy got, Jagr got, and possibly even Gabs. Pominville got a good return, but you get my point.

2) As has been touched on by some, this summer/draft will most likely see a lot of movement, whether it be signings or trades due to a falling cap. Many of the Caps fans speculate that they may have to let Ribero go now that they just picked up $4.5 in Erat, for example. We now have over $10 mil to spend with only Horny (slight increase?), Spaling (no increase), Hali (minimal increase?), Josi (increase), Blum (no increase), Bartley (no increase) Yip (meh), and Butler (bye) to re-sign. Almost all of them are RFA's. And we have most of our picks. I think we are in a good position to make some solid moves this offseason. Oh, and we have an awesome prospect.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:26 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Two thoughts after being able to sleep on this. Both positive:

1) Great return for a player who wanted out as of a couple weeks ago. This deadline saw small returns (IMO) for most of the trades. If it was common knowledge that Erat wanted out, I would have expected a 2nd and mid prospect. We ended up with a better return than what Iggy got, Jagr got, and possibly even Gabs. Pominville got a good return, but you get my point.

2) As has been touched on by some, this summer/draft will most likely see a lot of movement, whether it be signings or trades due to a falling cap. Many of the Caps fans speculate that they may have to let Ribero go now that they just picked up $4.5 in Erat, for example. We now have over $10 mil to spend with only Horny (slight increase?), Spaling (no increase), Hali (minimal increase?), Josi (increase), Blum (no increase), Bartley (no increase) Yip (meh), and Butler (bye) to re-sign. Almost all of them are RFA's. And we have most of our picks. I think we are in a good position to make some solid moves this offseason. Oh, and we have an awesome prospect.
I still want to select and offensive guy in Round One, I would prefer a high level winger.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
I still want to select and offensive guy in Round One, I would prefer a high level winger.
Agreed. Unless by some miracle Seth Jones is available when we pick, we need a forward worse. We have very good luck with 2nd round Dmen, so we can always snag one of those. Also, I'm hoping we can package SK/Blum+2nd for another 1st.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:31 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Happy to have a prospect of Forsberg's caliber, hate trading a relatively "sure thing" as ME to get him. I know ME has had a miserable season, but unless he's just completely lost it you can put him down for a low of 50 and a high of 60, get some PK and responsible play outta' him, and not worry.

I thought ME might have been dealing with lingering injuries, but clearly this is about his head; so good we move him. Also nice we got a little something for SH. Don't see this as desperation or a commit to a whole-sale rebuild by DP, I think it's leveraging a situation where ME expressed the desire to move and for once our kids actually pushed the issue for higher playing time, rather than backing into it. Wilson, Borque - both proved they should be playing there; Beck is earning it. We have several capable 2nd line vets - while ME would be my choice over them, it's not gonna' be such a huge dropoff. Other than impacting our relatively slim PO chances this year, really don't see this having much impact on next - and if Forsberg is really as close as a lotta' the folks think, maybe half a year in Milw next year and he's up, 2014-5 for sure.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:32 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

The initial reaction is probably the one to be trusted. This morning, Caps fans are okay with the trade, finding reasons to bash Forsberg as a prospect...but yesterday, they were furious.

Hornqvist, Lindback, Ekholm, potentially Simon Fernholm...if there's a scout that I trust, it's Lucas Bergman.

GMGM being willing to part with FF isn't surprising...he is in "win to save my job" mode. If the Caps miss the playoffs, he's likely hitting the bricks. This is a hail mary to save a job, with little regard to the future.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
The initial reaction is probably the one to be trusted. This morning, Caps fans are okay with the trade, finding reasons to bash Forsberg as a prospect...but yesterday, they were furious.

Hornqvist, Lindback, Ekholm, potentially Simon Fernholm...if there's a scout that I trust, it's Lucas Bergman.

GMGM being willing to part with FF isn't surprising...he is in "win to save my job" mode. If the Caps miss the playoffs, he's likely hitting the bricks. This is a hail mary to save a job, with little regard to the future.
They also have Kuznetsov and Wilson, so it's dealing from a position of strength.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:37 AM
glenngineer

I think the way Beck and Bourque have played made it easier for Poile to move Erat.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:43 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
I think the way Beck and Bourque have played made it easier for Poile to move Erat.
Bingo. Erat was a great player, no doubt, but if he was mopey this year because he wanted out, then bye. We have capable scorers playing better than he was this season.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:50 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Wilson, Beck and Bouque have all been better than I thought they would be.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:52 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Speaking of, what's the latest on Wilson?

Old
04-04-2013, 09:55 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

April said he's out for the season.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:12 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

This coming equipment sale might be epic with Erat stuff.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:17 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
April said he's out for the season.
i'd rather they take it slow in a lost season and have him back 100 percent next year.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:33 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by OV3CHK1NG View Post
so whats the issue in nashville in terms of offense year to year? Why cant they score? is it a personnel issue?
because we play stupid. alot.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:38 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Poile didn't have to trade Erat yesterday. He said he got the request 2 weeks ago. On the radio, he said that he was planning on dealing with it in the offseason. Tuesday night, he called Washington and told him Erat was available, gave GMGM his sales pitch and told him he wanted Forsberg. Deal commenced yesterday.

To me, it seems like Poile went fishing, and I would bet my house he did it with more than Washington, and he got a bite. Hopefully Poile's fish story in a few years looks like he caught a whale rather than a guppy

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:45 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Poile is now pretty much forced to acquire at least one top 6 forward this summer either by trade or free agency.
Agreed. We need one, maybe even two, although we could potentially get one of those at the draft. We're going to have something in the neighborhood of $10M to work with once all our RFAs are signed for those one or two forwards (assuming no other moves to shed salary), so money isn't an issue, we have a good city to play in, and we have a star defenseman and goaltender. Star power tends to bring more star power...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:49 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Saw this on the main board. The Caps owner writes a blog and was praising Forsberg a couple weeks ago.

http://tedstake.monumentalnetwork.co...tsov/index.jsp

Old
04-04-2013, 10:51 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Latest on Forsberg to Nashville. Nothing so far...

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...-is-accept-it/