HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Penguins @ Rangers 4/3/13 - Byron Boy's JAM Session!

View Poll Results: Three Stars of the Game?
Ryane Clowe 252 96.92%
Derick Brassard 230 88.46%
John Moore 57 21.92%
Henrik Lundqvist 33 12.69%
Martin Biron 4 1.54%
Carl Hagelin 2 0.77%
Byron Boy 131 50.38%
Rick Nash 2 0.77%
Anton Stralman 3 1.15%
Ryan McDonagh 11 4.23%
Dan Girardi 4 1.54%
Taylor Pyatt 2 0.77%
Ryan Callahan 2 0.77%
Brad Richards 21 8.08%
Derek Stepan 10 3.85%
Steve Eminger 1 0.38%
Michael Del Zotto 2 0.77%
Darroll Powe 4 1.54%
Arron Asham 3 1.15%
Mats Zuccarello 7 2.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-04-2013, 08:20 AM
HockeyBasedNYC
Back-checking Center

vCash: 500
Pitt played like crap, but the Rangers took advantage and kept their foot on the pedal

Unbelievable how all of the new acquisitions played and scored at least one goal. Made Slats look like a friggin genius up there chewing on his tabacco barge.

Was impressed with Brassards game. If he is that type of slinky player who has some decent playmaking skills hell be a nice addition on this roster. I thought his simple, yet creative play on the powerplay helped things out tremendously. He really cheated towards the middle of the ice instead of the usual telegraphed perimeter passing, and once he got rid of it went to to net. Thats an entirely different look that this team has been dying for. Hopefully that can continue but its just one game against a team who played pretty soft positionally.

Torts gave Boyle a bigger role and he delivered. Good for him. I'm sure the trade deadline was swirling over his head pretty good. Clowe was exactly what I thought he was, solid positionally, hard on the boards, sneaky skillset. Fits right into the system. Him over Gaborik alone is a good swap, considering how lifeless Gabby was.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Fire AV
#NotMyCoach

Can Richards shoot from the point more? Seems to be working well.

Even more importantly, how did he suddenly remember how to pass?

04-04-2013, 08:28 AM
offdacrossbar
draft the BPA

the thing that jumped out at me last night was torts' comment when interviewed pregame. he said something like... "just go out and play"...

that made me tear up. really. if this guy would just really believe that and let these guys do just that, i think this team would be much better. i really do.

too much controlling. too much backing up. too much overthinking. too much iron fist. too much robotic reacting leads to a team that cannot create and cannot let the game come to them. its like the whole team is incapable of just playing the game for fun.

just let them play....

offdacrossbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:28 AM
lJuicel

I'm torn, do I make these roster moves on my NHL 13 season ?

lJuicel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Tackaberry
Old School

First game in a long time I could stand to watch all the way through. I hope we can sustain it after the initial high wears off - like another win in Pitt.

Tackaberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lJuicel View Post
I'm torn, do I make these roster moves on my NHL 13 season ?
Brassard is really good in NHL.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:49 AM
KenGuru

Pens looks like a totally different team without Martin, Crosby and Letang. I will put some money on Rangers winning friday, I am very confident they will win. With the start the newcomers had yesterday and the whole team gets a spark will not disappear in one night.

Fleury and Vokoun have also had 2 very bad games this week

KenGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Garv23

I can't remember the last time I wasn't biting my nails during a Ranger game. What a great feeling! Only one game, but holy crap did those new guys make an impact or what! No doubt Fri. will be different.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:00 AM
highandwide
It's gold Jerry.

anyone have a list of the line and special team combos from last night?

highandwide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:03 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by highandwide View Post
anyone have a list of the line and special team combos from last night?
Clowe-Richards-MZA
Nash-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Brassard-Boyle
Pyatt-Powe-Asham

McDonagh-Girardi
MDZ-Stralman
Moore-Eminger

PP's changed up all night.

Brassard, Clowe, Boyle, Stepan, Richards, Nash, Callahan, MZA all saw PP time

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:08 AM
*Bob Richards*

vCash:
If this game was a hard fought battle for a win, we'd still have a camp complaining that they didn't dominate.

Somethings gotta give....

Old
04-04-2013, 09:19 AM
gary laser eyes
HFBoards Sponsor

6-1 win. Nash 0 pts.

Honestly it was weird watching the game last night. It was like watching a totally different team. Granted PIT looked like crap, but the amount of offense and scoring chances generated is very encouraging. Nash could have easily had a couple of goals as well.

gary laser eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Fire AV
#NotMyCoach

I commented on Zuke's smile earlier. Look at this creepy ****er.

Fire AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Zucca just likes to hug and be hugged. All Hobbits enjoy it. Let it be.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
Can Richards shoot from the point more? Seems to be working well.

Even more importantly, how did he suddenly remember how to pass?
Seemed like the team was just skating better than it has in a long time. Too often you see players trying to play positionally and not moving their feet, trying to slow things down and wait for the perfect play while other guys glide into position. This time they were moving and driving the play and that opened up holes for passes that didn't need to be forced through 3 opposing players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
the thing that jumped out at me last night was torts' comment when interviewed pregame. he said something like... "just go out and play"...

that made me tear up. really. if this guy would just really believe that and let these guys do just that, i think this team would be much better. i really do.

too much controlling. too much backing up. too much overthinking. too much iron fist. too much robotic reacting leads to a team that cannot create and cannot let the game come to them. its like the whole team is incapable of just playing the game for fun.

just let them play....
Torts even said during the post game that he thought sometimes you do too much coaching, so lets hope he takes some of that to heart.

It is also hard when the team is struggling because if you just tell them "go out and play!" you're not really doing your job as a coach, but if you coach them up too much then you might make them even more tentative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
If this game was a hard fought battle for a win, we'd still have a camp complaining that they didn't dominate.

Somethings gotta give....
Yeah, this too. Even if your position is that the Pens just played terrible and this was an "easy" game, then the Rangers did what they should do in that situation and they dominated the game.

Friday will be interesting. Letang could be back, though Crosby and Martin will still be out, and the Pens will probably be looking for revenge. I anticipate a much tighter game, but the Rangers should have a good shot if they push the play like they did last night

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:39 AM
highandwide
It's gold Jerry.

boyle and clowe really hugged it out. Did they ever cross paths before?

highandwide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Ail
Dear Friend Pape

Quote:

just let them play....
Hopefully he realized that too last night. Torts likes to mold players. Some can be, some can't.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:42 AM
BarbaraAlphanse

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Hopefully he realized that too last night. Torts likes to mold players. Some can be, some can't.
Why couldn't he hold this approach with Kreider?

Old
04-04-2013, 09:43 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Just Be Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by highandwide View Post
boyle and clowe really hugged it out. Did they ever cross paths before?
In Clowe's practice and post game interview yesterday he mentioned knowing/speaking to Boyle a bit (Richards too). How they know each other I have no idea. Maybe Barb Underhill.

04-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Lorb

Byraonr hugs a lot.

Lorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:53 AM
BarbaraAlphanse

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
meh.....for the Rangers to win the cup....

1)Henrik Lundqvist is going to have to be better than he's ever been.....which is saying something.

2)Staal will have to get healthy. MDZ, Girardi, and MCD will all have to raise their level of play, which is already at a high level.

3)Nash & Richards are going to have to be PPG+ players.

4)Stepan, Callahan, Hagelin, Brassard, Clowe are all going to have to produce at the levels they are capable of (ie, can't go ice cold).

it's a lot to happen.....the East is tough this year, Pittsburgh, Boston and Montreal are really good teams. Frankly, if we can avoid playing Pitt or Montreal in the playoffs, we'll have a chance. Montreal is a nightmare matchup for us. fast waterbugs are tough against a slowish team like us.
Don't doubt the gut man. That's all i'm gonna say. I would say it turns out to be right in 8/10 cases, normally.

It's one game, I'll be the first to tell people to calm down after such a reaction, I just happened to have this overwhelming feeling that we'll be in the cup this year.

Pitt WILL not win the cup. They have no goaltending. Their defense is meh.

I like Boston, but Rask is also a headcase. Get a bad goal past him and the gates open.

I really don't think Montreal is as good as everyone is making out. We've played them like absolute horse **** every time of the season. Uninspired hockey. Didn't we play Biron both times in Montreal too? They're not a physical team. That takes a huge toll on any team once the playoffs start. Nightmare match up? They'll be similar to the Senators last year. If we play inspired hockey we win. If we don't, we lose. There should be no reason we don't play inspired hockey into the playoffs.

I think the team will click right around the start of the playoffs. I think they'll get on a really good roll these next 12 games and go like 9-3, or 10-2. I think we win the next game in Pitt handily too, somthing like 4-2 or 5-2.

Clowe and Asham go a long way towards helping our grit. The veteran presence now will help out down the stretch. Zucc is starting to shine, dude just gets it. Its not a coincidence that we start scoring on the powerplay a lot more often with him back on the squad.

If/when Staal comes back, watch out. If he doesn't we'll be a lot more beatable since Torts will refuse to play Moore and Eminger more than 7 minutes a game.

Save the posts. Either way i'll either be gloating or gladly eating crow.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:00 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Foolish Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I absolutely would not mind if Torts was able to help make Brassard decent at defense.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:19 AM
silverfish
Not a GM

Zuccarello is a graduate of the "Prospal School of Celebreations". First lesson: Be happier for teammates than you are for yourself.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:21 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

Consistency is the trick. That locker room was really shook up the last 24 hrs. You have your STAR snakebit forward dealt away and a bunch of new guys taking the redeye to get to the game in time. It's a very exciting time.. also a few guys surely relieved not to be going to Columbus with Gabby...

Just go out and play works when the team is excited. It heightens everyones awareness and effort.

The trick is doing it every game going forward.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Thirty One
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Zuccarello is a graduate of the "Prospal School of Celebreations". First lesson: Be happier for teammates than you are for yourself.

Is this where Dubinsky lost his ear?

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote