HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Great or Greatest Dane Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 11:17 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I just picked out the three most bashed Habs players and threw in the most under-appreciated third liner(who should be a 4th liner according to most) Hab player out there for good measure.

Big difference between could and wanted to.
like Patches ? Price ?

...at least you tried.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Et le But

Was put in a bad situation as the only center who could potentially mitigate some of the damage of not having Plekanec.

And he failed.

Moral of the story? Lars Eller is no Tomas Plekanec. Or Claude Giroux for that matter.

And +/- is still useless.

Old
04-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

To me, there's still something missing with Eller that prevents him from being a dominant player -- this something limits him to rare flashes of brilliance but nothing sustainable. But I don't know what it's missing; it seems everything (speed -- more stop and go speed than top speed -- vision; balance; shot; hockey smarts) and nothing in particular. It seems he has everything but just not enough of those things to make the difference.

I don't know if he'll ever go to the next level. I hope he does but I now have my doubts. When you have it, it takes a couple of seasons and the progress is very obvious (I think of players like Plek, Diaz, Subban, Max Pac, DD, BGally, just to name a few; and I'm sure AGally will make that list too). For Eller, it doesn't progress like these guys.

Last edited by Poulet Kostopoulos: 04-04-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old
04-04-2013, 12:09 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
To me, there's still something missing with Eller that prevents him from being a dominant player -- this something limits him to rare flashes of brilliance but nothing sustainable. But I don't know what it's missing; it seems everything (speed -- more stop and go speed than top speed -- vision; balance; shot; hockey smarts) and nothing in particular. It seems he has everything but just not enough of those things to make the difference.

I don't know if he'll ever go to the next level. I hope so but I now have my doubts. When you have it, it takes a couple of seasons and the progress is very obvious (I think of players like Plek, Diaz, Subban, Max Pac, DD, BGally, just to name a few; and I'm sure AGally will make that list too). For Eller, it doesn't progress like these guys.
It doesn't need to. Everybody has their own trajectory.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:24 AM
25get

Quote:

I don't know if he'll ever go to the next level. I hope so but I now have my doubts. When you have it, it takes a couple of seasons and the progress is very obvious (I think of players like Plek, Diaz, Subban, Max Pac, DD, BGally, just to name a few; and I'm sure AGally will make that list too). For Eller, it doesn't progress like these guys.
It seems Eller had to deal with two new linemates.
He seemed to give them the puck very often and has not built chemistry with them yet.
Eller is in constant progression and this may be the opportunity for him to go to the next level.
He needs to learn PP and if Plek is injured for a few games, I see this as an opportunity for Eller to get to the next level.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Habskrieg

Lol. I love all the quick conclusions here.

First he plays really well for a couple games. People start seeing him as some sort of Sundin to be potential. People are hyping him and all.

Then he cools down. Nobody talks about him. He still plays solid however.

Tonight, Pleks gets injured. And we ask Eller out of the blue to immediately go on the first line and excel at it. If this were to repeat itself every game. Sure, I'd agree with the overall assessment that Eller isn't a 1st line C. But so far he's played on the first line, against a team that was already dominating us. A team that plays good at home and is playing desperate hockey in order to squeeze into the playoffs.

People quickly judging Eller again. Except this time in the opposite direction. *sigh* Let's give him some time to mesh with his new linemates and have them play a few games before we can say he's not ever going to be a top center. We lost 1 game, get over it.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:19 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
Lol. I love all the quick conclusions here.

First he plays really well for a couple games. People start seeing him as some sort of Sundin to be potential. People are hyping him and all.

Then he cools down. Nobody talks about him. He still plays solid however.

Tonight, Pleks gets injured. And we ask Eller out of the blue to immediately go on the first line and excel at it. If this were to repeat itself every game. Sure, I'd agree with the overall assessment that Eller isn't a 1st line C. But so far he's played on the first line, against a team that was already dominating us. A team that plays good at home and is playing desperate hockey in order to squeeze into the playoffs.

People quickly judging Eller again. Except this time in the opposite direction. *sigh* Let's give him some time to mesh with his new linemates and have them play a few games before we can say he's not ever going to be a top center. We lost 1 game, get over it.
If anything, people were arguing to give Eller a bit more offensive responsibility, IE: more PP time. Nobody ever suggested that he could replace pleks and completely take over his defensive duties.. Although I do hope he becomes more and more like him as he develops.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:02 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
If anything, people were arguing to give Eller a bit more offensive responsibility, IE: more PP time. Nobody ever suggested that he could replace pleks and completely take over his defensive duties.. Although I do hope he becomes more and more like him as he develops.
You might want to select your words better. You're like me with Desharnais. Huge fan, small bias, defend his play but you're still rational. There are people who have said Eller (and Desharnais) could replace Pleks. And they are wrong.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:18 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
You might want to select your words better. You're like me with Desharnais. Huge fan, small bias, defend his play but you're still rational. There are people who have said Eller (and Desharnais) could replace Pleks. And they are wrong.
Yup, and it's not a knock on Eller (or DD) it only shows #14 is way more important to our team than most think.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:32 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
You can't replace Plekanec just like the Bruins can't replace Bergeron.

Maybe now people will see why Plekanec is so valuable to the team.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:

I don't know if he'll ever go to the next level. I hope he does but I now have my doubts. When you have it, it takes a couple of seasons and the progress is very obvious (I think of players like Plek, Diaz, Subban, Max Pac, DD, BGally, just to name a few; and I'm sure AGally will make that list too). For Eller, it doesn't progress like these guys.
These guys you mention....got quality ice-time.

Did Pacioretty went well his first two years with the Habs?
25 points in 86 games. Then went back AHL....bla bla bla....come back and play top 6 minutes and PP time with Gomez and Gionta. We got a player!

Eller made 47 points in his first 163 games.
Always playing 12 minutes a game, under Defensive-minded Martin.
With real crappy linesmates at times.

There is a progression about Eller
17 points in 77 games
28 points in 79 games
Now would be on a pace for 41 points

Isn't that what we expect from a very good 3rd liner?
Jordan Staal was a 40-50 points 3rd liner. And Therrien is doing just that with him.

He's getting his offensive game back slowly this year. He's been mold into a defensive
center for two year, never forget that!

Now he's a much more agressive Eller which bring some of the best forechecking on this team and create tons of turnovers. He's starting to use his body around and his puck possession is one of the best on the team, protect the puck really well. There's tons of progression right here.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:53 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
These guys you mention....got quality ice-time.

Did Pacioretty went well his first two years with the Habs?
25 points in 86 games. Then went back AHL....bla bla bla....come back and play top 6 minutes and PP time with Gomez and Gionta. We got a player!

Eller made 47 points in his first 163 games.
Always playing 12 minutes a game, under Defensive-minded Martin.
With real crappy linesmates at times.

There is a progression about Eller
17 points in 77 games
28 points in 79 games
Now would be on a pace for 41 points

Isn't that what we expect from a very good 3rd liner?
Jordan Staal was a 40-50 points 3rd liner. And Therrien is doing just that with him.

He's getting his offensive game back slowly this year. He's been mold into a defensive
center for two year, never forget that!

Now he's a much more agressive Eller which bring some of the best forechecking on this team and create tons of turnovers. He's starting to use his body around and his puck possession is one of the best on the team, protect the puck really well. There's tons of progression right here.
I love Eller, but he was -5 in the last two games ... If Desharnais was -4 you'd be chirping him so hard. Instead you praise Eller. What gives?

Old
04-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Was put in a bad situation as the only center who could potentially mitigate some of the damage of not having Plekanec.

And he failed.

Moral of the story? Lars Eller is no Tomas Plekanec. Or Claude Giroux for that matter.

And +/- is still useless.
I don't think you needed yesterday to know that Eller isn't Plekanec, or even less Giroux.

I've been saying it for years now, Plekanec is arguably the most underrated center in the NHL. The guy is amazing.

As for Eller though, I don't think you can be so quick to judge him. The guy has never played in a top 6 role, and yesterday he had to jump in to take on the very heavy role of Plekanec.
We should give him a couple of games before really coming down with conclusions.
Changing the lines might be a good idea too. Ryder should be moved on DD's wing, give our best sniper a pure playmaker is the logical move.
Bringing Prust up to play with Eller and Gionta will make that line more efficient defensively.
Eller and Galchenyuk should see more PP time as well, and they need to settle into that role too. It doesn't take 9 minutes.

Our offensive production will drop, we'll have to be more focused defensively. But I trust we can have a temporary fix.

In any event, yesterday was arguably Eller's worse game of the season, and we played minus one player, our best center. Let's see what happens in the next few games, it'll be interesting.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think you needed yesterday to know that Eller isn't Plekanec, or even less Giroux.

I've been saying it for years now, Plekanec is arguably the most underrated center in the NHL. The guy is amazing.

As for Eller though, I don't think you can be so quick to judge him. The guy has never played in a top 6 role, and yesterday he had to jump in to take on the very heavy role of Plekanec.
We should give him a couple of games before really coming down with conclusions.
Changing the lines might be a good idea too. Ryder should be moved on DD's wing, give our best sniper a pure playmaker is the logical move.
Bringing Prust up to play with Eller and Gionta will make that line more efficient defensively.
Eller and Galchenyuk should see more PP time as well, and they need to settle into that role too. It doesn't take 9 minutes.

Our offensive production will drop, we'll have to be more focused defensively. But I trust we can have a temporary fix.

In any event, yesterday was arguably Eller's worse game of the season, and we played minus one player, our best center. Let's see what happens in the next few games, it'll be interesting.
Even lack of experience aside, being thrown in to match up againt Giroux in the middle of a game while still being able to contribute offensively would overwhelm plenty of players. It wasn't a good situation and even then, the -4 has very little to do with Eller himself compared to the defense that played behind him.

This is not to say Eller has no responsibility, if anything I hope the coaching staff forces him to watch this game to learn from it, but this doesn't suddenly make him the new Jan Bulis.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Even lack of experience aside, being thrown in to match up againt Giroux in the middle of a game while still being able to contribute offensively would overwhelm plenty of players. It wasn't a good situation and even then, the -4 has very little to do with Eller himself compared to the defense that played behind him.

This is not to say Eller has no responsibility, if anything I hope the coaching staff forces him to watch this game to learn from it, but this doesn't suddenly make him the new Jan Bulis.
Lars Eller is a good player, he will become solid. I never doubted this kid. Yesterday was definitely the ideal situation going up against one of the best centers in the league. But he will grow from it imo.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

He is progressing...1st year, 0.22 PPGM. 2nd year, 0.35 PPGM and this year 0.50 PPGM. When he is on he is a force out there, he just needs more game in game out consistency. Most of his numbers are without much PP time, he has 7 career PP points.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I love Eller, but he was -5 in the last two games ... If Desharnais was -4 you'd be chirping him so hard. Instead you praise Eller. What gives?
Looking at the Phillie goals last night I wouldn't put a lot of stock in anybody's +-. None of the Phillie goals were Eller's fault.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:36 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Looking at the Phillie goals last night I wouldn't put a lot of stock in anybody's +-. None of the Phillie goals were Eller's fault.
Well he did ice the puck before the first goal. Lost the puck to Gagne and was a second to slow to get on him for the third.

I'm not blaming him for the loss either (both goals were lucky bounces), I was just pointing out that binne4pres (who always uses stats) would have ripped DD for a similar statistical performance, his fault or not, yet he praises Eller.

Just trying to get him to admit that both Desharnais and Eller play a big part in our success, rather than one and not the other, although neither as much as Plekanec.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:40 AM
pine*

Quote:
Well he did ice the puck before the first goal. Lost the puck to Gagne and was a second to slow to get on him for the third.

I'm not blaming him for the loss either (both goals were lucky bounces), I was just pointing out that binne4pres (who always uses stats) would have ripped DD for a similar statistical performance, his fault or not, yet he praises Eller.

Just trying to get him to admit that both Desharnais and Eller play a big part in our success, rather than one and not the other, although neither as much as Plekanec.
You should use your ignore list more often. Helps me keep a sane state of mind.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:

Good luck with that. But i never said that DD has nothing to do in teams success but i always stated that he can be as bad as he can be good for then team. The second he stop producing, he became more of a problem for the team.

Being the worst in a game is one thing
Being the worst in the season is another.

Playing a different role a night is one thing
Playing the same role for the last 2 years is another.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Et le But

Quote:

I agree completely, but I wish you wouldn't revert to pointing out his +/-, you are better than that. It's like patofqc bringing up Plekanec's -20 last year, that said more about the team itself than Plekanec. Even the best are going to get burned by the other team's best when they have little help.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:33 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
I agree completely, but I wish you wouldn't revert to pointing out his +/-, you are better than that. It's like patofqc bringing up Plekanec's -20 last year, that said more about the team itself than Plekanec. Even the best are going to get burned by the other team's best when they have little help.
I'm not chirping Eller for being -4, I was just pointing out that if DD was -4 he'd get trashed by a certain poster or two.

I'm in no way trashing Eller. +/- is an okay stat when looking at career numbers, but looking at over a 20-30 game sample size is as much of a joke as looking over 1-game.

I think both players are a huge piece of the pie. And that's why both will get long-term contracts.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Good luck with that. But i never said that DD has nothing to do in teams success but i always stated that he can be as bad as he can be good for then team. The second he stop producing, he became more of a problem for the team.

Being the worst in a game is one thing
Being the worst in the season is another.

Playing a different role a night is one thing
Playing the same role for the last 2 years is another.
DD has never been a problem. Never. You can say he's less efficient when he doesn't produce (who isn't btw??), but a problem? Never.
He never drags his feet, he never takes night off, he's never lazy.

Everybody has bad games. Every single player in the NHL.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Rikiki Bousquet

^ this. good post.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:10 PM
NHLFutureGuy3

I, like everyone, see this as a great opportunity for Eller to learn. At least for one game, Eller can prove that he is at least a second line center

Closed Thread