HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Luongo Post TDD Press Conference

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 04:34 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmuck View Post
In the NFL, players renegotiate their contracts all the time (Brady has done it multiple times in New England) to take less money, reduce their cap hit and allow the organization to spend more money elsewhere to build a winner.

With the NHL's CBA is Luongo absolutely prevented from renegotiating his contract or is it not done just because the PA would puke all over it?

I'm assuming from other high profile examples like Gomez and Redden, both sides must be structurally bound to the deal until the end of its terms, but it seems kind of stupid to me that if a player wants to renegotiate for a lesser deal to create a better playing situation for himself, that he is not able to.
Yes, I believe the CBA prohibits restructuring and voiding a signed contract even if both sides agree.

With the new CBA, no one wants that contract. Even if Luongo is a great player. Just buy him out and be done with it.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:09 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

vCash: 500
It's comforting to know that Luongo was never coming here regardless of the GM.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:44 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Quackenbush View Post
Quote: "LeBrun saying that Nonis turned down Scrivens + two 2nd round picks in the final moments leading up to the deadline."

Seems doubtful, because if Nonis turned this meager offer down and TO crashes and burns, then the town folks of Hogtown will descend upon his castle with torches and pitchforks. Book it.
Nope not at all. I didn't want any part of that contract, I'm elated Nonis thought the same. We can try offering him a more sensible 4 year deal in the summer after he is bought out.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:51 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Quackenbush View Post
Quote: "LeBrun saying that Nonis turned down Scrivens + two 2nd round picks in the final moments leading up to the deadline."

Seems doubtful, because if Nonis turned this meager offer down and TO crashes and burns, then the town folks of Hogtown will descend upon his castle with torches and pitchforks. Book it.
No way should Nonis have accepted that deal. Honestly, he should firmly have told Gillis that Vancouver would be the team sending picks, not the other way around. Gillis NEEDS to find a deal, its going to get even harder in the summer compared to this past year. Luongo is a year older, TB is no longer seeking a goalie, Markstrom is doing really well in Florida, more goalies are becoming available, and the cap is coming down. I cant imagine buying him out is an option, it would be what, 27 million? I think a couple picks is worth more than 27M to the owners.

Nonis should have countered with Scrivens for Luongo and two 2nds.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:56 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
It's comforting to know that Luongo was never coming here regardless of the GM.
Well I think Burke had a deal but anyway the only thing we know for sure, Nonis wanted no part of Luongo's contract. We can't say with certainty what Burke would have done.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:08 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Hasn't there been reports that Gillis and Nonis were pretty close to getting it done? Or that was what Gillis said? The reports say Nonis turned Gillis down three times in the last hour, so not sure how 'close' it was.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:11 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
Hasn't there been reports that Gillis and Nonis were pretty close to getting it done? Or that was what Gillis said? The reports say Nonis turned Gillis down three times in the last hour, so not sure how 'close' it was.
As far as I know, Nonis wasnt making counter offers. It was more that Gillis kept calling back with a lower price, and Nonis kept saying no. It doesnt sound like it was particularly close if thats the case.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:25 AM
DaveT83*

I heard Nonis offered a Prospect + Pick ... then said he'd only do a Pick.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:27 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Well I think Burke had a deal but anyway the only thing we know for sure, Nonis wanted no part of Luongo's contract. We can't say with certainty what Burke would have done.
Luongo said he was never asked to waive. Obviously there was no deal or he would have been asked.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:34 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Luongo said he was never asked to waive. Obviously there was no deal or he would have been asked.
Burke has departed long ago, we can't say what he would have done if he was still here. I thought he said he never vetoed a deal.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

someone said it above. what I would have done if Nonis was

say Lu + picks for a Pick (because of that albratross of contract)
buy out Lu only if he were to re-sign with us, and not with anyone else. then i could deal with that.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:52 AM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Yet his GM said that his NTC has been the stumbling block all along ...

Old
04-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Kessick

Gillis must have lost it to think any team would offer more than picks for Luongo. I love all the anger directed at Nonis over for allegedly "leaking the details" to Dreger on the Canucks board. If anything, knowing that Nonis was steadfast and didn't accept the Canucks (repeated) horrible offers increased my respect for him.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Rinzler

Love how Nonis handled this. As my brother eloquently said to me yesterday, Gillis can kiss my ass.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:47 AM
pspot

should have made the picks conditional on if Lu retires early

Old
04-04-2013, 09:36 AM
FlareKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Yet his GM said that his NTC has been the stumbling block all along ...
Well of course. Unlike Luongo he doesn't care to admit how screwed he is in terms of making a trade. Gillis is still trying to pretend there is a chance a team will take on that contract.

The NTC really doesn't matter, it's all about the money. There's no way a guy as low as Luongo is right now would care where he would get to start long as he gets out of Vancouver at this point.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:41 AM
daveleaf

I would have done Scriven's straight up. He would have made us that much better with Reimer as a backup. Still too many question marks with Reimer. He is playing well but has gone on long stretches where he is chasing rebounds.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:47 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
If Reimer/Scrivens get shelled in the playoffs I could see them bringing him in as a mentor/starter.

Problem is Luongo's contract is so long that it will be tough to move on from them when they might need to (See Vancouver's current situation). That would be a few years down the road however.
The way Nonis leaked information to the press continually on the negotiations, I cannot see Gillis being in a hurry to do business with him.

Vancouver will likely be dealing Schneider in the offseason if Philly is not willing to take Luongo. I can't see them doing business with Toronto.

Kipper and Smith should be available.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:50 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
The way Nonis leaked information to the press continually on the negotiations, I cannot see Gillis being in a hurry to do business with him.

Vancouver will likely be dealing Schneider in the offseason if Philly is not willing to take Luongo. I can't see them doing business with Toronto.

Kipper and Smith should be available.
Gillis will be begging to dump him.

Makes zero sense for Nonis to leak anything, where's the proof he did?

Old
04-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Well Happy Birthday Roberto.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Deebo

Mark Spector is reporting that the deal breaker in the end was the Canucks refusal to retain any salary and that Nonis was willing to part with Scrivens, 2nd, 3rd.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:15 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Dreger: Vancouver offered Luongo for Scrivens + two 2nd rounders.

whatever
its the contract that sucks (not the players offered in return

Old
04-04-2013, 10:16 AM
napoleon in rags
Bernier the boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Mark Spector is reporting that the deal breaker in the end was the Canucks refusal to retain any salary and that Nonis was willing to part with Scrivens, 2nd, 3rd.
And Mark Spector is Nonis's 4th cousin twice removed. Will the leaks ever end?

Old
04-04-2013, 10:46 AM
gabeliscious

What if nonis and gillis made a conditional trade;

Booth and balard to toronto for future considerations. Toronto amensty buys out booth and balard then vancouver amnesties luongo. Luongo signs favourable contract with toronto for 4-5 years for minimal cap hits seeing as he ready got paid and vancouver gets ~15$ in cap space. This way toronto gets elite goalie with minimal cap hit for only money. Good deal me thinks.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Dr Turk

If anyone is need of a good laugh go read through the Luongo thread on the Nucks board. So much ******** on Nonis about how dumb he is to turn that deal down. That fanbase has to the most delusional fanbase in the league, what a joke.

Closed Thread