HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms and more (Apr 4. Charges against Nick Cousins are dropped)

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 06:12 AM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
After Laughton, Gostisbehere, Cousins, Stolarz there is a huge gap.

Just drops off a cliff at that point.
Most teams prospect pool falls off after the top 4 or 5. The fact is most of the guys listed on this website, especially below each teams top 5, will barely get a sniff at the NHL. And if they do, it is usually as 3-4 line forwards and bottom pair defensemen. I would say the Flyers prospect pool is pretty much league average right now, which considering how many picks they have traded away is pretty good.

Old
04-02-2013, 07:04 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Most teams prospect pool falls off after the top 4 or 5. The fact is most of the guys listed on this website, especially below each teams top 5, will barely get a sniff at the NHL. And if they do, it is usually as 3-4 line forwards and bottom pair defensemen. I would say the Flyers prospect pool is pretty much league average right now, which considering how many picks they have traded away is pretty good.
The second tier would be Gustafsson, Noebels, Akeson, and Flanagan. Lauridson is currently playing with the big club, Manning needs to time travel back a year and Bourdon hopefully can recover from PCS.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:22 PM
TheKingPin

What are you guys thinking about stolarz? He looks like is playing great in London and outed thier starter at the time? Do we have a blue chip or are is it still wait and see?

Old
04-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
What are you guys thinking about stolarz? He looks like is playing great in London and outed thier starter at the time? Do we have a blue chip or are is it still wait and see?
It is always wait and see-- but he looks very good right now for where he is at.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Jtown

Quote:
All it took was trading bob to get him.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:27 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I would say a little bit of both. Goalies are really unpredictable. He's playing well right now and has a lot physical tools but its still early. You should get a better sense of where he stands after next year when he at least has a full season as a starter under his belt.

Old
04-03-2013, 07:41 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I'm a very big Stolarz fan and I think we have a blue chipper, but for reasons more than the obvious. You can see the talent in the big kid. He's got fantastic lateral movement, he gets down and up quickly from the butterfly position, he takes up a lot of net space, has a very good glove hand, and he squares himself up very well to the shooter. There are things that he still needs to work on (rebound control mainly and he's gotten much better at puck handling and watching the play in front of him and not losing sight of the puck), but it's the intangibles that he has, that I think, that make him a blue chipper.

He's one of the more intelligent goaltenders in the game. He's a film room junkie and he's always watching game tape to find flaws in his game. He's very coachable and he's always talking with his coaches to try to bring the best out in his game. He has an exceptional work ethic and is usually the first player to arrive to practice and the last player to leave a practice. He's also very big into fitness and is probably the best conditioned athlete on his team. To go with this, he is athletically gifted as Bill Dark, the London Knights goaltending coach, has called him the most athletically gifted goaltender he's ever had to work with.

To me, that's something to get really excited about. You usually hear those comments about forwards and defensemen, but rarely do you hear that about goaltenders. The other thing I also like about Stolarz is that he's already got the Philadelphia mentality - as much as he loves winning, he hates losing even more.

Of note, he's appeared in 32 games so far this year (24 in the OHL including the playoffs and 8 with Omaha-Nebraska in the NCAA). If the Knights make it to the Memorial Cup, he'll end up playing a minimum of 12 additional games. Next year will be his year in London though and he's probably looking at 55 to 60 games during the regular season, minimum.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:54 AM
BernieParent

Stolarz is definitely exciting to ponder over. How great would it be if a goaltender actually grew through the Flyers' system and became the True Number One for whom we would all give our eye teeth?

But as has been stated, goaltenders are the most difficult to track because of their sheer volatility. His improvements shouldn't in any way cause Holmgren to back off trying to put other high-ceiling goaltenders into the franchise.

One of the best things is that Stolarz has already been claimed, back when he was bargain-basement. This doesn't have the potential to be another DiPietro fiasco. Just let Stolarz come along at his pace and grow at the different levels.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm a very big Stolarz fan and I think we have a blue chipper, but for reasons more than the obvious. You can see the talent in the big kid. He's got fantastic lateral movement, he gets down and up quickly from the butterfly position, he takes up a lot of net space, has a very good glove hand, and he squares himself up very well to the shooter. There are things that he still needs to work on (rebound control mainly and he's gotten much better at puck handling and watching the play in front of him and not losing sight of the puck), but it's the intangibles that he has, that I think, that make him a blue chipper.

He's one of the more intelligent goaltenders in the game. He's a film room junkie and he's always watching game tape to find flaws in his game. He's very coachable and he's always talking with his coaches to try to bring the best out in his game. He has an exceptional work ethic and is usually the first player to arrive to practice and the last player to leave a practice. He's also very big into fitness and is probably the best conditioned athlete on his team. To go with this, he is athletically gifted as Bill Dark, the London Knights goaltending coach, has called him the most athletically gifted goaltender he's ever had to work with.

To me, that's something to get really excited about. You usually hear those comments about forwards and defensemen, but rarely do you hear that about goaltenders. The other thing I also like about Stolarz is that he's already got the Philadelphia mentality - as much as he loves winning, he hates losing even more.

Of note, he's appeared in 32 games so far this year (24 in the OHL including the playoffs and 8 with Omaha-Nebraska in the NCAA). If the Knights make it to the Memorial Cup, he'll end up playing a minimum of 12 additional games. Next year will be his year in London though and he's probably looking at 55 to 60 games during the regular season, minimum.
Thanks for the report! Really like this kid and hope to see him with the big club some day.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Broad Street Elite

Projecting goalies has been and will continue to be a crap shoot. Eventually we'll develop our own and I hope it's Stolarz, but I certainly am not holding my breath until I see him, at a minimum, at the AHL level.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Krishna

Brandon Alderson ‏@Alderson1992 5m
VISA problem and a couple delays but finally on my way to join up with @PhantomsHockey for the remainder of the year!

Old
04-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Appleyard

Stolarz sure is impressing in the OHL, 2nd best SV% in playoffs and 5th best in regular season of players with over 1000mins.

Only guys ahead of him have been Subban, Binnington, Niederberger and Palazzeze, and all of them have experience in the OHL.

of course Stolarz is on a great team, but so far he has done a great job.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:25 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Brandon Alderson ‏@Alderson1992 5m
VISA problem and a couple delays but finally on my way to join up with @PhantomsHockey for the remainder of the year!
no word on cousins? i was hoping both Alderson and Cousins would be in adk for the phantoms next game on Friday

Old
04-03-2013, 12:40 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

really excited about Stolarz. i know a lot seem to think Gillies will be penciled in as the starter for the US at the WJC next year, but i think Stolarz has the chance to change that if he continues playing like this.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Gus and the great Dane are playing well (enough) up with the Flyers. Gus looked very good last night. A lot of shots on net, drove play. Oliver is going to make mistakes, but minus some mistakes there was some promise there. Looked a bit slow on a few plays, but if he can disguise some of his skating with good positioning -- maybe he can stay up with the club.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Gus and the great Dane are playing well (enough) up with the Flyers. Gus looked very good last night. A lot of shots on net, drove play. Oliver is going to make mistakes, but minus some mistakes there was some promise there. Looked a bit slow on a few plays, but if he can disguise some of his skating with good positioning -- maybe he can stay up with the club.
Lauridsen looks really bad against smaller quicker opponents. Less surface area for him to get contact with and a smaller center of gravity. Just a bad combo for a slow big guy. And that is pretty much all Montreal has.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Krishna

Was Foster assigned to Adirondack after he cleared?

Old
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
UKFlyers

Quote:
Brad Coccimiglio ‏@bradcoccimiglio

Charges against Soo Greyhounds forwards Andrew Fritsch and Nick Cousins and Ottawa forward Mark Petaccio withdrawn in Sault court #OHL
Haven't been following the case too closely. Was this expected to happen?

Old
04-04-2013, 11:46 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFlyers View Post
Haven't been following the case too closely. Was this expected to happen?
Not that I have read. Good news for Cousins.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Jtown

good news but the damage has been done. He will have that luring over his head for a long time unfortunately.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:51 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

So, is there any speculation on why they were withdrawn? Bogus charges? Insufficient evidence?

04-04-2013, 12:12 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 0
April 4, 2013 -- Nick Cousins:

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ls.asp?c=55364

Quote:
Today the Ontario Court withdrew all charges against three Ontario Hockey League players accused of sexual assault.

Nick Cousins, Andrew Fritsch and Mark Petaccio were present in court Thursday morning to hear their charges were withdrawn on condition that they agree to keep the peace, not communicate with the complainant or to come with in 500 metres of her home, place of work or place of school.

In August, at the time of the incident that led to the charges against the three hockey players, all three players were playing for the Soo Greyhounds.

Ontario Court Justice Melanie Dunn heard that, after consideration of all the evidence and statements from the complaintant, the Crown felt there was no way any convictions could be obtained.

Cousins was represented by Sault Ste. Marie lawyer Bruce Willson, Frisch was represented by Andrew Furgiuele and Petaccio was represented by Sault Ste. Marie lawyer Don Orazietti.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:13 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
good news but the damage has been done. He will have that luring over his head for a long time unfortunately.
What do you mean the damage has been done? He's still a prospect for a very good NHL team with a very good chance to carve out an NHL career about 1,000 miles away from where this whole mess occurred.

If Ray Lewis can get past an alleged murder that happened in a US city while he was in the NFL to achieve stardom, then Cousins can get past an accusation in Canada while he was a junior hockey player.

It would obviously be better for Cousins if the whole thing never happened, but I honestly doubt this will have much of an impact on his career. Given what he was accused of doing, he should count himself as being extremely lucky that all he got was some negative press. It could have been much worse.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:15 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Was Foster assigned to Adirondack after he cleared?
He is shooting pucks at Mason today in Toronto.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:16 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Philly prospect Nick Cousins just told me he will be in Adirondack this weekend to play for the Phantoms.
Source: Dustin Leed

Closed Thread