HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We Got Outplayed But wow The Flyers Should Buy a Lottery Ticket

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
I agree with Whitesnake's post.

Thinking about that, I think while we might have used an extra d-man on the backend, yesterday's game showed just how many elements we're missing in order to be a very competitive team. Our defense is missing a lot of elements. It's worrying though that there will not be any move whatsoever before next season, since our d-core is pretty much complete with Bouillon being re-signed.

So what about the other 35 games where the team was 23-7-5? Were they not a "very competitive team"?

Old
04-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
One thing I noticed last night was the fact that in the 3rd there was a stoppage every 30 secs, we're pretty fast out there and we usually wear other teams out by the middle of the 3rd period. But last night the Flyers were able to gain some rest with all the whistles. We should of been a little more agressive in the passing lanes and on the puck carriers with the 3-2 lead and try to spend the rest of the 3rd in their zone, instead we just tried to run the clock and we were unable to match the Flyers in the neutral zone.

The team shouldn't be afraid of being trapped even by the flyers, our D's are usually able to catch up with the opposing forwards. We lost because we started playing scared and defensive.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:40 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
edited the title to say what I think was meant.
Shoulda kept it the Bouillon hat-trick

Old
04-04-2013, 10:44 AM
pine*

I think the most hilarious part is that we extended Bouillon for another year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post

So what about the other 35 games where the team was 23-7-5? Were they not a "very competitive team"?
23-8-5 is pathetic if you ask me. We're better off tanking.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:45 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:

It's still less than half a regular season. I remember a team that started off very well in 06-07 and ended up missing the playoffs to the powerful Islanders.

The reality is that we're missing a lot of elements on D. We have 2 top-4 d-men really (who also are top-2 d-men, but still, we still have 2 d-men who are undoubtedly top-4), and we can't clear the crease to save our lives. That, in the playoffs, hurts a lot.

We're missing some key elements out there, and Bergevin likely wants to develop his prospects into those elements rather than trade for some. Which is a good philosophy, but still, we're not going to win anything with that defense.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:47 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I think the most hilarious part is that we extended Bouillon for another year.

You're blinded by our record. In the playoffs, that defense ain't taking you anywhere. All the goals are from the crease, and we have no d-man who can do anything in there. Even Emelin stopped playing physical... I wonder since when

Old
04-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:

It will take years ( or a cup ) before people start to get over the inferiority complex attached to the canadiens. This season proves it, whenever we lose a game this board starts to fire up and everyone seems to have the answer to all the problems. But when we win, everything goes quiet until the next defeat, the reality is that in order for us to get a decent D we would of had to give up a big portion of our future.

Our prospect pool is pretty deep and all the other GMs want to have a portion of it.

Imo a hockey team is always better to have guys from the farm playing big roles on the team, than guys from trades. Because traded players always come in from different environments that may not work well with the team's philosophy, while farm guys always have more of a sense of duty and responsibility related to their team. Our lineup proves it.

Subban-Plekanec-Gallagher-Price-Ryder-Pacioretty-Gorges-Diaz

vs

Gionta-Gomez-Wisnewski-Bourque-Kaberle-Huet-Kovalev-Lang-Tanguay-Cammalerri

I'm not saying every trade is bad, but rather that in our position and with Timmins doing the draft giving up picks for a big body D ( a la Bouwmeester ) might jeopardize our future in the next 10 years. If we end up drafting just one player like Pacioretty in the 2nd round it wouldn't be worth it.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Burke the Legend

The people who whine a lot don't watch any other hockey besides the Canadiens so there's no perspective on what kind of problems the other teams have. They ALL have them, no one is perfect, but this season on margin the Habs have less problems than most other teams in the league.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:30 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I find it weird that Bouillon makes a small mistake and gets absolutely trashed and nothing he had done this season is any good. It's bizarre. Bouillon has had a net positive impact for us this season.
It's the reason why Montreal fans are loathed by the fans of so many other teams. They sing and taunt when the team is in the lead and will throw anyone under the bus after a bad game or two. As they say, Montreal fans are with you win or tie. Don't worry, let Bouillon score the winning goal next game and Bouillon will be transformed to the "Cube" and various fawning appreciation threads will spring up everywhere. Or at least until his next gaff.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:34 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
It will take years ( or a cup ) before people start to get over the inferiority complex attached to the canadiens. This season proves it, whenever we lose a game this board starts to fire up and everyone seems to have the answer to all the problems. But when we win, everything goes quiet until the next defeat, the reality is that in order for us to get a decent D we would of had to give up a big portion of our future.

Our prospect pool is pretty deep and all the other GMs want to have a portion of it.

Imo a hockey team is always better to have guys from the farm playing big roles on the team, than guys from trades. Because traded players always come in from different environments that may not work well with the team's philosophy, while farm guys always have more of a sense of duty and responsibility related to their team. Our lineup proves it.

Subban-Plekanec-Gallagher-Price-Ryder-Pacioretty-Gorges-Diaz

vs

Gionta-Gomez-Wisnewski-Bourque-Kaberle-Huet-Kovalev-Lang-Tanguay-Cammalerri

I'm not saying every trade is bad, but rather that in our position and with Timmins doing the draft giving up picks for a big body D ( a la Bouwmeester ) might jeopardize our future in the next 10 years. If we end up drafting just one player like Pacioretty in the 2nd round it wouldn't be worth it.
You just named a bunch of random vets who played for us at a moment or another, versus a bunch of young guys we developed.

As for not watching other teams play, yes I do, and yes I know they all have their share of problems. The Rangers usually can't score, for example. The Lightning have no defense whatsoever. The Sens have trouble scoring.

That doesn't take away the fact that we, on our side, don't have a defense who can win us important games in the playoffs. Seriously. How is it an inferiority complex to admit that? It's painfully visible.

And more likely than not, Bergevin wants to develop our farm guys into those missing pieces. Which IMO is the right thing to do for long-term success. That being said, after watching yesterday's game, and a whole bunch of other ones for that matter, I think Bergevin might have been right keeping his draft picks for this year's draft. We're not anywhere close to being contenders in the playoffs with our current defense. And I don't think one element could have been fixing it.

Emelin is playing like a #7 d-man right now, and to be honest, we might have overrated him a bit. Markov is great at what he does, but shouldn't play 25 minutes a game anymore. Gorges has huge limitations. Diaz too. Bouillon is an old d-man with limited talent and Drewiske is a depth defenseman, while still being better than Weber and Kaberle.

Even on offense, yesterday's game clearly showed how we might need another center who can play tough minutes, as Eller clearly failed at replacing him. Will Galchenyuk become that guy in the near future? Yes. Probably. But he's not there yet.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Maverik

I just watched the 3 career fights of Rinaldo vs Prust and the only advice I can give Rinaldo is to get a tighter jersey...

Old
04-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
It's the reason why Montreal fans are loathed by the fans of so many other teams. They sing and taunt when the team is in the lead and will throw anyone under the bus after a bad game or two. As they say, Montreal fans are with you win or tie. Don't worry, let Bouillon score the winning goal next game and Bouillon will be transformed to the "Cube" and various fawning appreciation threads will spring up everywhere. Or at least until his next gaff.
That was really good sir.

Hopefully they bounce back tonight. So we may get rid of the ZOMGwtfbbq's

Old
04-04-2013, 11:58 AM
windycity

I would like Wayne Simmonds to be a Hab

that is all

Old
04-04-2013, 12:03 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post

that is all
To be honest, I'd like to see Pacioretty take some lessons on Wayne Simmonds on how he protects the puck and he hold onto it.

Besides, to answer the earlier posts, I still take Pacioretty before Simmonds on my team, as he's our best offensive player out there.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 670
The only time this team has gotten itself into trouble this season is when they get away from their game plan and try to play a physical, goon type game with bigger teams.

Emotions are important in the game of hockey, but they need to be utilized to improve the parts of the game you excel at. This is speed, transition and puck possession. Not fighting and checking. If they can control their emotions in the right part of the game and avoid playing in the ditches there is no reason they cannot win it all.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:14 PM
MSSLYNX

Quote:

that is all
Was funny seeing Moen trying to run away from Simmonds. And how many blow landed on Rinaldo?

Therien putting Blunden on the ice after the second fight was unusual too. Poor guy looked for Voracek after the draw.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSLYNX View Post
Was funny seeing Moen trying to run away from Simmonds. And how many blow landed on Rinaldo?

Therien putting Blunden on the ice after the second fight was unusual too. Poor guy looked for Voracek after the draw.
That Moen fight completely turned momentum away from the team was a very ill advised time to fight. Travis should know better than that.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Edgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
So should they be tanking too?

Should the rest of the NHL that has a similar or worse record to us tank too?

Old
04-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:

that is all
If only Pacioretty could have that meanstreak from Simmonds...

Old
04-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
It's not only mean streak but Simmonds can ****ing fight. The Bruins don't go close to him when they play the Flyers

Old
04-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Et le But

Quote:

that is all
I'd rather have Simmonds than Lucic, and I'm serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
And Simmonds probably wishes he had Pacioretty's speed and skill.

In a perfect world we'd have both, but there's no reason to blame Pacioretty for not being something he's not. They aren't similar players.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:26 PM
MSSLYNX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
To be honest, I'd like to see Pacioretty take some lessons on Wayne Simmonds on how he protects the puck and he hold onto it.

Besides, to answer the earlier posts, I still take Pacioretty before Simmonds on my team, as he's our best offensive player out there.
Interesting comparison for so-called power forwards (not sure if Max is one):
Same age
Same height, Max heavier
Max best year 65, Wayne 49
Max 30 pts this year, Wayne 25
Max 144 pts/234 games, Wayne 167/355
Wayne can fight, Max wont fight

Pretty sure Wayne would get 10 more pts per year playing on a top line which he is not.

Edge to Max but barely imo.

Now if you compare Max to Voracek: Voracek is younger, same size, best year 50, this year 37. 220 pts/355 years. Both non-fighters. Voracek has 1st line minutes.

Edge to Max?

Old
04-04-2013, 12:29 PM
MSSLYNX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
That Moen fight completely turned momentum away from the team was a very ill advised time to fight. Travis should know better than that.
I dont buy the momentum thing. Remember when Talbot got destroyed by Carcillo but Pens came back from 3 goals to win it.

Winning or losing the fight has no role in the outcome really. You cant say no and turtle all the time.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:33 PM
SPLBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
It's not only mean streak but Simmonds can ****ing fight. The Bruins don't go close to him when they play the Flyers
Simmonds is a good fighter but he wouldn't dare go against Lucic, he would be mauled and he knows it. Chris Neil who is a tough guy and a really good fighter got obliterated by Lucic 3 or 4 years ago and hasn't gone near him since despite several opportunities, I doubt Simmonds is in Neil's class when it comes to fighting, he basically has scrapped with nobodies.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:36 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I'd rather have Simmonds than Lucic, and I'm serious.

And Simmonds probably wishes he had Pacioretty's speed and skill.

In a perfect world we'd have both, but there's no reason to blame Pacioretty for not being something he's not. They aren't similar players.
I'd like both, wasn't suggesting Simmonds instead of Patches

Closed Thread