HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I have seen a lot of people on this board recently hate on jeff reese. Can I just say how silly that is. The importance of a goalie coach is very small , and is there merely to suggest new things to a goalie that is struggling. When a goalie coach is on his game, the coach merely tries to see what he is doing well at the time and have him repeat that as often as possible, but usually it has to deal with confidence.

I liken Goalie coach to other skills coaches such as Pitching coach and Batting Coach. WHo is the greatest PItching Coach/Batting Coach of all time? Well usually the coach who is on the best hitting and pitching teams. That is no way to judge a coach, that is a way to judge talent on a team. Chances are if your team is a bad hitting team its not the coaches fault , its because you have horrible hitters. Of course the Coach will get the axe long before the players as a way for people in the organization to shift the blame to someone. Image if Tony Gwynn was a hitting Coach and He was fired, how could anyone justify that? But here is the asinine thing about skills coaching. Skill is an inherent unique aspect of one's unique motor control ability. Even twins develop their unique motor control approach to sports, different shooting form in basketball, different delivery in pitching, etc etc. So for me (a person with a unique motor control) to tell you ( a person with a unique motor control) how to perform a pitch, a shot, a save is very silly.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:02 AM
BillDineen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Is there a gif of this anywhere? My DirecTV crapped out early on in the game and I missed it.
Here is the puck halfway there and then over his ducked head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg‎ (55.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg‎ (47.2 KB, 19 views)

Old
04-04-2013, 08:03 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Haha. Bryzgalolv.

I can't wait for this season to end.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:10 AM
StoneHands

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I have seen a lot of people on this board recently hate on jeff reese. Can I just say how silly that is. The importance of a goalie coach is very small , and is there merely to suggest new things to a goalie that is struggling. When a goalie coach is on his game, the coach merely tries to see what he is doing well at the time and have him repeat that as often as possible, but usually it has to deal with confidence.

I liken Goalie coach to other skills coaches such as Pitching coach and Batting Coach. WHo is the greatest PItching Coach/Batting Coach of all time? Well usually the coach who is on the best hitting and pitching teams. That is no way to judge a coach, that is a way to judge talent on a team. Chances are if your team is a bad hitting team its not the coaches fault , its because you have horrible hitters. Of course the Coach will get the axe long before the players as a way for people in the organization to shift the blame to someone. Image if Tony Gwynn was a hitting Coach and He was fired, how could anyone justify that? But here is the asinine thing about skills coaching. Skill is an inherent unique aspect of one's unique motor control ability. Even twins develop their unique motor control approach to sports, different shooting form in basketball, different delivery in pitching, etc etc. So for me (a person with a unique motor control) to tell you ( a person with a unique motor control) how to perform a pitch, a shot, a save is very silly.
Thank god someone else said it. I'm new here so when I say something like this people jump down my throat.

Goalie coaches in the NHL are more there to make suggestions and see trends and bad habbits, most of which start after coming to the NHL. To think that a goalie is going to come to the NHL as a backup and then be turned into a stud or vice versa because of a goalie coach is ridiculous. Jess Reese won't even work with these guys full time until they're at least 21-22 most of the time. They get drafted and go back to Junors/College and then work their way up to the AHL. If the progress in both of those situations then they get their shot at the NHL and at that point they have clearly already shown that they are good enough to play at the NHL level. It's not like with a forward where you can take an unpolished 18-19 year old kid and hide him playing him easy minutes while you groom him into the type of player you want. With a goalie, they wont even get to the AHL level if they arent doing something right and from there they have to impress or get lucky to make it to the NHL. From there goalie coaches tweak things and stop bad habbits when things start going bad for a guy. It's not like a goalie is going to be on an NHL roster and not know how to play angles or keep his glove up. It's probably more important to have a good goalie coach at the AHL level than the NHL.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:51 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
Thank god someone else said it. I'm new here so when I say something like this people jump down my throat.

Goalie coaches in the NHL are more there to make suggestions and see trends and bad habbits, most of which start after coming to the NHL. To think that a goalie is going to come to the NHL as a backup and then be turned into a stud or vice versa because of a goalie coach is ridiculous. Jess Reese won't even work with these guys full time until they're at least 21-22 most of the time. They get drafted and go back to Junors/College and then work their way up to the AHL. If the progress in both of those situations then they get their shot at the NHL and at that point they have clearly already shown that they are good enough to play at the NHL level. It's not like with a forward where you can take an unpolished 18-19 year old kid and hide him playing him easy minutes while you groom him into the type of player you want. With a goalie, they wont even get to the AHL level if they arent doing something right and from there they have to impress or get lucky to make it to the NHL. From there goalie coaches tweak things and stop bad habbits when things start going bad for a guy. It's not like a goalie is going to be on an NHL roster and not know how to play angles or keep his glove up. It's probably more important to have a good goalie coach at the AHL level than the NHL.
People want to blame the goalie coach for Bryz's struggles because they just can't admit that Bryz isn't a very good goalie. They always have an excuse for his ****** play and it's always on someone/something else and never on him

Old
04-04-2013, 09:55 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
People want to blame the goalie coach for Bryz's struggles because they just can't admit that Bryz isn't a very good goalie. They always have an excuse for his ****** play and it's always on someone/something else and never on him
Reese was blamed for Bobrovsky too IIRC, and maybe even Leighton.

04-04-2013, 10:15 AM
BringBackStevens

With a young and raw guy like bob the goalie coach absolutely plays a role

Old
04-04-2013, 10:20 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

If a goalie coach is just some mentor..then the Flyers should save some cash and not have one at all b/c the three ring circus of goalies that have come through here have been mediocre to bad anyway (with the occassional outlier year) and doesn't look like we'll see anything of substance for a long time considering how this place really is "goalie hell."

Old
04-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
With a young and raw guy like bob the goalie coach absolutely plays a role
Indeed.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=662215

Quote:
Bobrovsky said his rise in the rankings can be linked to a rise off the ice with his upper body, a process that started after he was traded to Columbus for three draft picks and continued in his native Russia during the lockout.

"I can tell you I try to be bigger -- bigger in my butterfly," Bobrovsky told NHL.com, and then tried to bridge the language gap with a locker-room demonstration, lifting at the waist and pulling his shoulders back.

Bobrovsky was hunched over at the waist and sat back on his heels more in his butterfly during two promising but inconsistent seasons as an undrafted free agent-signing in Philadelphia. He's taller now through the thighs and up into the torso, one of several subtle but significant adjustments that started with Blue Jackets goaltending coach Ian Clark three weeks before training camp was scheduled to open in September. Sent home with more than 100 pages of instructions, the evolution continued while Bobrovsky played with SKA St. Petersburg during the NHL lockout.

With his chest more upright, Bobrovsky now is able to get a better seal between his arms and body, reducing the number of pucks that used to go through him. And because his hands now are more out in front of him rather than pulled back in relation to a forward-pitched torso, he is making cleaner glove saves and steering pucks better with his blocker.

Remember the Little League cliché about watching the ball into your glove? Goalies refer to it as visual attachment, and maintaining it is a lot easier when you aren't trying to catch pucks by your ear.

"When you are upright you can see your hands, and when you are down it's tough to see your hands," Bobrovsky said, holding his hands up beside his head for effect. "It's much easier this way."

Old
04-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Bryz channeling his inner chimpanze..

hahahahha

Old
04-04-2013, 10:48 AM
n62

"With his chest more upright, Bobrovsky now is able to get a better seal between his arms and body, reducing the number of pucks that used to go through him. And because his hands now are more out in front of him rather than pulled back in relation to a forward-pitched torso, he is making cleaner glove saves and steering pucks better with his blocker."

Perfect example of coach helping player.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:50 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
So I guess there was legit criticism of Reese with Bob?

Old
04-04-2013, 10:51 AM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Yeah. Bryz has been in the NHL for a LONG time. It's not like he came to Philly and Reese was like "you know, you really need to move laterally slower and you might want to go down while the guy is in his wind up".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Reese was blamed for Bobrovsky too IIRC, and maybe even Leighton.
Apparently Bob has little to no goalie coaching before he came to Philly. Somehow Reese is such a bad coach that he's actually worse than having no coach at all. Bob came from a completely different style of hockey to the NHL where they eventually found his flaws and exposed him. before he could adjust he was shipped out. If anyone is to blame, it's the front office for not having Bob spend time in the AHL to adjust to the North American style of hockey. The guy couldnt even handle the puck when he got here. By the time he left, he was at least not passing directly to the other team but Reese gets not credit for that.

Leighton, the career backup posted a career best .918 in his first season under Reese but I'm sure Reese told him to open up his five hole a little wider before game 6 of the finals.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:54 AM
flyersguy33*

how awful were the second and third goals last night? not even sure the bum gave an effort on the second one and the duck on the third was just down right embarrassing #freemason

Old
04-04-2013, 10:56 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Can I weigh in on the ducking thing? I'm not a Bryz lover or hater by any means, I think he needs to be bought out at some point, so let me preface with that.

Instincts probably came into play on that shot. Deflected, even though it lost speed, was probably still going ~60 mph from where it was and it just surprised him. I really don't think you get into the NHL ducking away from pucks, lol. It's a bad goal, but I really don't think he consciously moved out of the way.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:57 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
So I guess there was legit criticism of Reese with Bob?
If you read between the lines: Yes.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:00 AM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Can I weigh in on the ducking thing? I'm not a Bryz lover or hater by any means, I think he needs to be bought out at some point, so let me preface with that.

Instincts probably came into play on that shot. Deflected, even though it lost speed, was probably still going ~60 mph from where it was and it just surprised him. I really don't think you get into the NHL ducking away from pucks, lol. It's a bad goal, but I really don't think he consciously moved out of the way.
he moved his head out of the way...he ducked. no beating around the bush. you wear a helmet for a reason don't be scared of a puck

Old
04-04-2013, 11:02 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:

The only thing I can think that went through his head is that he thought it was going to deflected with a lot more power over the net, instead of flipping end over end and went above the shoulder. But there is no proof of that, but yeah, still a bad goal. I do still think it was instinctual, but yeah, please Bryz, don't do that again.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:02 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat sauce View Post
he moved his head out of the way...he ducked. no beating around the bush. you wear a helmet for a reason don't be scared of a puck
Listen, I agree, it was stupid and bush league. All I am saying is I don't think he's some huge ***** who had time to see the puck, tuck his balls into his purse and duck out of the way.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:03 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:

I get ya, but this is the last straw for me with Bryz. I will lose my mind watching him for 7 more years.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:07 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Steve Mason tonight plz. No more Bryz.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:08 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Steve Mason tonight plz. No more Bryz.
Just asking, what if Mason does worse?

Old
04-04-2013, 11:15 AM
StoneHands

There are tons of goalies that will use their head to make saves on purpose on a regular basis. To you and I, our reaction would be to move our head, to a professional goalie your instinct should be to stop the puck by any means possible.

For anyone that plays hockey, how many times has someone in a game either made a hard high pass or clearing attempt that you stuck your hand out and caught without even thinking? It hurts like hell and it probably would have been an icing anyway but it's instinct during a game. If I'm walking down the street and a piece of rubber went flying by, I certainly wouldnt stick my hand out to stop it. Your instincts change depending on the situation.

Players dive face first in front of point shots all the time and when they are asked after the game they always say if they could do it over they wish they would have gone feet first but during the game it was instinct to throw anything in front of the puck.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:18 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Just asking, what if Mason does worse?
Then at least Bryz got a night's rest and an opportunity to contemplate what happens when you duck out of the way of shots headed towards your goal.

I'm not a huge fan of the Mason move, but we made it, so we might as well see if he can actually be successful here before we have to re-sign him. And in order to do that, he needs to start.

Plus I mean it's been ~92 games of this crap from Bryz. I'm willing to be patient for at least 3-4 games of Mason before I call for Bryz to go back in.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:21 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
Yeah. Bryz has been in the NHL for a LONG time. It's not like he came to Philly and Reese was like "you know, you really need to move laterally slower and you might want to go down while the guy is in his wind up".

Apparently Bob has little to no goalie coaching before he came to Philly. Somehow Reese is such a bad coach that he's actually worse than having no coach at all. Bob came from a completely different style of hockey to the NHL where they eventually found his flaws and exposed him. before he could adjust he was shipped out. If anyone is to blame, it's the front office for not having Bob spend time in the AHL to adjust to the North American style of hockey. The guy couldnt even handle the puck when he got here. By the time he left, he was at least not passing directly to the other team but Reese gets not credit for that.

Leighton, the career backup posted a career best .918 in his first season under Reese but I'm sure Reese told him to open up his five hole a little wider before game 6 of the finals.
I would say our defense in 2010 had a greater impact on Leighton's season than Reese.

Closed Thread