HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Bjugstad being fast tracked to replace Weiss?

Old
04-04-2013, 05:56 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 50
I think you are over-thinking things. Bjugstad played a couple of years in college, and has the size and skill to perhaps make a difference on the Panthers. Why not give him a shot? Who cares who he may or may not replace if he plays well.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:58 AM
JPG

vCash: 500
I don't understand what the deal is with all this "replace Weiss" and "goodbye Weiss" talk. The guy had a nasty injury this year but he has been a key contributor over his entire career here. He was thrust into a top-line center role that everyone agrees he is not good enough for. However, he IS good enough to be a second line center and if we so happened to have two guys better than him, he'd be a great third-line center. Guys that good are what teams like the Red Wings or the Penguins have as their third liners, and we are sitting here talking about just throwing him away. I am and always will be a fan of Weiss for everything he has done for this franchise. I hope our prospects become good enough to take the top line role and Weiss can remain with the team in his appropriate role - second or third line center.

JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:27 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

The issue is whether INSTEAD of signing Weiss or landing a lst line center, are we bringing up bjustad to immediately fill that ?

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:57 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
The issue is whether INSTEAD of signing Weiss or landing a lst line center, are we bringing up bjustad to immediately fill that ?
No.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:51 AM
pantherbot

I don't expect too much from Bjugstad this season or even the first part of next season. He will likely take some time to adjust to his new surroundings (he's never really been out of minny) and the pace of the NHL game vs. college.

Given time and patience, I think he will do well, but I don't think he should be counted on to be our weiss replacement next year. If we don't sign a number 1 centre, I could see a scoring-by-committee model with Matthias as the "top" guy.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Georgia Panther

Didn't I read somewhere that Tallon said "progress" had been made in the Weiss talks Friday?

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:09 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Didn't I read somewhere that Tallon said "progress" had been made in the Weiss talks Friday?
He said they had "a conversation". Watch it, it's on the panther official web page. His tone changes.

Simply saying the lawyer in me had the takeaway that don't be shocked if they don't pay Weiss big $ to stay, or Spend big $ on a a lst line C FA, ESPECIALLY IF BJUSTAD shows promise these next few gms.

I'm not for or against that, I'm just reporting.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

AG. You better figure out how to spell Bjugstad by the time he plays on Saturday lol.. I've seen you spell it 20 different, all wrong ways lol

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:51 AM
ShootIt

Hahaha

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:51 AM
CanadianPanther
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
AG. You better figure out how to spell Bjugstad by the time he plays on Saturday lol.. I've seen you spell it 20 different, all wrong ways lol
You saw that too? I didn't want to nitpick.

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:06 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post

Well since my son wants his Jersey Saturday, ill learn then!!!

Old
04-04-2013, 10:38 AM
CoolburnIsGone

What about we just sign Weiss to a 1 yr deal at like $4.75M? It gives Weiss a chance to prove to us and every other team that he's healthy again and can produce at his old level and we get a stopgap for 1 yr regardless to not rush Bjugstad. Makes sense for both sides if you ask me and would give Weiss a chance to still get his long term contract and over $5M+/yr.

I'm very much against the idea of rushing Bjugstad to the NHL right now. I want him to spend some time in the AHL (at least 15 games in San Antonio) to really dominate in the pro game first. Its not the exact same path that Shore took this yr (he played 40 games) but I want to at least see him adjust to the speed of being a pro. This brief look will help so he can work on some things over summer too but he didnt have some superstar performance in NCAA this yr and I want to see more from him first.

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:55 AM
CanadianPantherFan
#CatsAreComing

THINK Jughead from Archie comics when thinking of spelling his name; helps me.

B-JUG-STAD

CanadianPantherFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:28 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
What about we just sign Weiss to a 1 yr deal at like $4.75M? It gives Weiss a chance to prove to us and every other team that he's healthy again and can produce at his old level and we get a stopgap for 1 yr regardless to not rush Bjugstad. Makes sense for both sides if you ask me and would give Weiss a chance to still get his long term contract and over $5M+/yr.

I'm very much against the idea of rushing Bjugstad to the NHL right now. I want him to spend some time in the AHL (at least 15 games in San Antonio) to really dominate in the pro game first. Its not the exact same path that Shore took this yr (he played 40 games) but I want to at least see him adjust to the speed of being a pro. This brief look will help so he can work on some things over summer too but he didnt have some superstar performance in NCAA this yr and I want to see more from him first.
Oh I get that, but clearly listening to DT yesterday he disagrees. He specifically spoke of this being an exception, maybe due to size, maybe due to age.

Interesting issue. Here's my question to you young capkeeg fans:

without signing Weiss or any center, and going with proposed lines as discussed on the lines thread, do we meet next years floor? Estimate resigning Mueller, matthias and maybe even Markstrom.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:29 AM
harv3317

personally, i'd like to see bjustad play a few games in the ahl this year before coming up. let him get some adjustments from college to the pros before the nhl. also, i wouldn't blow a year of his elc on this year!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:37 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
personally, i'd like to see bjustad play a few games in the ahl this year before coming up. let him get some adjustments from college to the pros before the nhl. also, i wouldn't blow a year of his elc on this year!
you will, and they might.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:33 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Oh I get that, but clearly listening to DT yesterday he disagrees. He specifically spoke of this being an exception, maybe due to size, maybe due to age.

Interesting issue. Here's my question to you young capkeeg fans:

without signing Weiss or any center, and going with proposed lines as discussed on the lines thread, do we meet next years floor? Estimate resigning Mueller, matthias and maybe even Markstrom.
I trust Tallon with the blueprint but in this case, I feel he's wrong and not worried about saying it. He's not infallible so this is one of those times where he's gonna be wrong. It has nothing to due with size, age or even experience. It totally has to do with contract implications long term and most young players coming out of college are not ready for the SPEED of the pro game.

We are already over next yrs floor. We currently sit about $49M without re-signing anyone and the floor is $44M. Even if we re-sign just the RFAs and then even if we buyout Upshall and Clemmensen, we'll be over the floor without signing another center or Weiss.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:54 PM
CatscratchFever
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Everyone knows what's better for this team, Bjugstad, contracts, and whatever than an NHL GM. DT is not infallible, but if he intends to burn an ELC, frankly, who cares?

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:06 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
I trust Tallon with the blueprint but in this case, I feel he's wrong and not worried about saying it. He's not infallible so this is one of those times where he's gonna be wrong. It has nothing to due with size, age or even experience. It totally has to do with contract implications long term and most young players coming out of college are not ready for the SPEED of the pro game.

We are already over next yrs floor. We currently sit about $49M without re-signing anyone and the floor is $44M. Even if we re-sign just the RFAs and then even if we buyout Upshall and Clemmensen, we'll be over the floor without signing another center or Weiss.
Ill ultimately defer to DT on this. Maybe he had to promise Nick (safely spelled) that hed play the remainder games in order to pen him. Who knows.

Of course DT can be wrong he signed Clemmer for 2 yrs.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:13 PM
pantherbot

Quote:

it sounded to me like allowing Bjugstad to play in the NHL this year and use up one of his ELC years was a condition for him signing.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:06 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
it sounded to me like allowing Bjugstad to play in the NHL this year and use up one of his ELC years was a condition for him signing.
If thats the case, then (now more than ever) I'm hoping we draft a center with our #1 pick who can be a top line guy. Any one of MacKinnon, Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan would be solid enough to be a #1 center. This way we dont have to rely on Bjugstad and he cant try to dictate things like this in the future. Or at the very least, we could later on trade Bjugstad for another asset to fill a different hole.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:18 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
If thats the case, then (now more than ever) I'm hoping we draft a center with our #1 pick who can be a top line guy. Any one of MacKinnon, Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan would be solid enough to be a #1 center. This way we dont have to rely on Bjugstad and he cant try to dictate things like this in the future. Or at the very least, we could later on trade Bjugstad for another asset to fill a different hole.
I'm in favour of drafting another centre, but I don't think we should read anything into this situation beyond the desire for Bjugstad or his agent to play in the NHL now and get paid a bit earlier.

I think it is reasonable that Tallon had to dangle this carrot for Bjugstad to sign considering that Bjugstad wanted to finish school and win a title with Minnesota. I doubt we need to worry about whether or not Bjugstad will be more difficult to sign in the future based on this.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
PBPantherfan
#draft is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
Kind of thought that too. I'll sign but I want to play in this NHL this year otherwise I'll go back for my senior season. Then you worry about him becoming a free agent. Or it could just be Tallon has a man crush on him.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:29 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Its simple negotiations. It happens. Its ok that the player had a little advantage here IF thats what occurred.

Bjugstad will be around for a looong time. Its all good.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Chino Oscar

Quote:
This way we dont have to rely on Bjugstad and he cant try to dictate things like this in the future. Or at the very least, we could later on trade Bjugstad for another asset to fill a different hole.
Seriously... we are already suggesting trading him?

Chino Oscar is online now   Reply With Quote