HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[BUF/MIN] Jason Pominville & 4th rounder for Johan Larsson, Matt Hackett, 1st & 2nd

Old
04-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelanstorm View Post
75% sure Wild got completely hosed in this trade, you just don't trade your prospects like that...
Sure you do.

When you're making a run at the cup you do whatever you have to.

I love what we got for Poms, but I love what the Wild did too.

The goal is the cup, not to have the best prospects and picks. It's the NHL not HFboards.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Ok there guy, I know you have to be a homer and whatnot, but come on. First off, Vanek has already stated he has no interest in being a part of a Buffalo rebuild. Unless you guys miraculously make the playoffs next year while still having a promising future, he's walking.

Here's that source: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ngthy-rebuild/

So once he hits the open market, you better bet he's at least considering the only other place he's familiar, and a place that just so happens to be where his good buddy plays. Minnesota. (And yes, I believe Pominville will re-sign here). I think the idea of having both of them here, as well as the core we have, is enticing enough for them to take slightly less to come here.

Is this a sure thing? Of course not. Is there a chance Vanek re-signs in Buffalo? Not if there's a rebuild. Is there a chance Vanek will want to play where he's comfortable with his buddy? Absolutely. If it means taking less than 7m to do so, will he do it? You betchya.
First he's not "walking" out of Buffalo. He'll be traded for a ton I assets not unlike Pominville.

Second, he'll cost between 6.5-7.5. That's just a fact. 7 years too.

But yeah, nobody is just hitting FA in Buffalo... We will trade them all. And we will dominate the trade because that's what Regier does

Old
04-04-2013, 07:18 AM
radaich

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPRGol View Post
Vanek's wife is also from Stillwater. I think it is hilarious if the Wild keep trying to take advantage of Minnesota connections and friendships.
How bout to mention Vanek lives in Stillwater MN during the off season

radaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:23 AM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Anyone else feel like Buffalo had a deal in place to trade Miller after this trade that fell through? I mean, this all but ensures Miller is gone by the draft or offseason but I had a hunch that he was on his way out as well
I feel that the better deal for the Caps woulda been to flip Forsberg and a one of the young goaltenders for Miller.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
I feel that the better deal for the Caps woulda been to flip Forsberg and a one of the young goaltenders for Miller.
That would have not got you Miller

Old
04-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
That would have not got you Miller
You mean Holtby + Forsberg not enough for Miller? Man im not too sure about that..

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Nordic*

In a couple of years Minnesota will cry a river over this trade.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
In a couple of years Minnesota will cry a river over this trade.
Not if we get a cup by then.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
You mean Holtby + Forsberg not enough for Miller? Man im not too sure about that..
Buffalo can probably get more in the offseason for Miller.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
Buffalo can probably get more in the offseason for Miller.
Probably not, I would've done that deal in a heartbeat.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:07 AM
AirBriere48

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Same. Our prospect pool would be insane with Forsberg.

AirBriere48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Ok there guy, I know you have to be a homer and whatnot, but come on. First off, Vanek has already stated he has no interest in being a part of a Buffalo rebuild. Unless you guys miraculously make the playoffs next year while still having a promising future, he's walking.

So once he hits the open market, you better bet he's at least considering the only other place he's familiar, and a place that just so happens to be where his good buddy plays. Minnesota. (And yes, I believe Pominville will re-sign here). I think the idea of having both of them here, as well as the core we have, is enticing enough for them to take slightly less to come here.

Is this a sure thing? Of course not. Is there a chance Vanek re-signs in Buffalo? Not if there's a rebuild. Is there a chance Vanek will want to play where he's comfortable with his buddy? Absolutely. If it means taking less than 7m to do so, will he do it? You betchya.
You are simply mistaken. Regardless of team, Vanek will comamnd 7+ and Pommer with get 6, particularly in light of recent contracts and the return (thus, value) he had set in this trade. By the way, for someone accusing someone else of bias, your post reeks of it.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:20 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
I would do it. I have kind of a man-crush on Holtby though.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

" Vanek has already stated he has no interest in being a part of a Buffalo rebuild." ..

To be fair....how one feels today...does not equate to how one feels in a year from now. They are in the middle of a terrible season ... spirits are down its not surprising anyone would say that.

A lot of things can change in a year.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Anyone else feel like Buffalo had a deal in place to trade Miller after this trade that fell through? I mean, this all but ensures Miller is gone by the draft or offseason but I had a hunch that he was on his way out as well

They may have had a Miller deal in talks....just didnt happen. I do wonder.

i figured they would trade for a goalie in a Poinville trade meant they had another deal lined up for miller that would return picks/players.

i think Buffalo wanted to hold back for the draft to make the trade of Miller for these reasons....

1. If Chicago playoff dreams blow up and the goaltending is to blame then Miller could be dealt to them for Saad+

2. Phoenix has an issue with Smith being a UFA. Buffalo could trade Miller there for PHX #1 (be an 8-18 pick)+ one of their younger defenseman.

3. Anaheim may be more open to a trade of a Hiller for Miller type of trade.

4. San Jose may be open for a deal for their 1st.

5. Washington deal for Miller could still happen. They may have wanted a #1 but Washington didnt want to give that much without knowing what pick it would be.

Last edited by Djp: 04-04-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
I'm not too sure Regier would have. By now, it's obvious that Regier sets a huge price on his players, and to his credit, he gets the return.

I think he will get something close to the Minny deal for Miller if he indeed moves him.The equivalent would then be Forsberg + Holtby + 1st/2nd. Of course this depends on how Regier and his staff view the two players mentioned. They might not like them as much as us HFers do.

Regier is the right GM at the right time for the Sabres. With the way he has handled the last two years, this franchise should be booming with young talent in 3-5 years if the Sabres play their cards right.

I can only imagine the ungodly return Regier will get if he ever decided to move Vanek

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
I'm not too sure Regier would have. By now, it's obvious that Regier sets a huge price on his players, and to his credit, he gets the return.

I think he will get something close to the Minny deal for Miller if he indeed moves him.The equivalent would then be Forsberg + Holtby + 1st/2nd. Of course this depends on how Regier and his staff view the two players mentioned. They might not like them as much as us HFers do.

Regier is the right GM at the right time for the Sabres. With the way he has handled the last two years, this franchise should be booming with young talent in 3-5 years if the Sabres play their cards right.

I can only imagine the ungodly return Regier will get if he ever decided to move Vanek
Goalies just seem like a different market, you don't see goalies being traded for high valued assets because it's basically a crap shoot. If you have a good defense, you can cover up for deficiencies in net. But what do I know, Bishop was traded for Conacher and a 2nd.

I agree with you slightly about Regier. Regier's one redeeming trait is that he is a wizard at trades. I too would like to see the return he could get for Vanek. Especially if a team was desperate for a scoring punch. He needs to show he can build a contender, it's nice to win trades but if you're not translating that into winning games it's pointless.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Stopping Pucks
I like goalies.

vCash: 14000
In the NHL, already established players don't come cheap. Larsson could be a bust, I am doubtful, but anybody could be a bust or be amazing. I think this trade works for both teams.

Stopping Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:22 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
You are simply mistaken. Regardless of team, Vanek will comamnd 7+ and Pommer with get 6, particularly in light of recent contracts and the return (thus, value) he had set in this trade. By the way, for someone accusing someone else of bias, your post reeks of it.
Not in the new CBA.

We saw the massive contracts when the cap was going up ~$5 million/year. Even with buyouts, cap space is going to be tight for most teams.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:29 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Tomorrow is going to suck not having Pominville in the lineup.

Going to be a weird feeling that's for sure.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:35 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Not in the new CBA.

We saw the massive contracts when the cap was going up ~$5 million/year. Even with buyouts, cap space is going to be tight for most teams.
Getzlaf and Perry say hello. The lack of ability to front-load long contracts means the cap hit is going to be higher than what we're used to seeing for top-end players. Vanek obviously isn't at Perry's level, but he's not that far off and would command more money as a UFA on the open market than just re-signing with a team before he gets there.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Getzlaf and Perry say hello. The lack of ability to front-load long contracts means the cap hit is going to be higher than what we're used to seeing for top-end players. Vanek obviously isn't at Perry's level, but he's not that far off and would command more money as a UFA on the open market than just re-signing with a team before he gets there.
Agree with this. I see no reason why Vanek doesn't get AT LEAST $7 million a year on the open market. $8 million would be too much, but $7-7.5 sound about right given the nature of free agency and teams willion to overpay a bit to get the player they want.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:39 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Agree with this. I see no reason why Vanek doesn't get AT LEAST $7 million a year on the open market. $8 million would be too much, but $7-7.5 sound about right given the nature of free agency and teams willion to overpay a bit to get the player they want.
Vanek has certainly proved he is worth is current contract. People that say he isn't do not watch him.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Joe Hallenback

The Wild didn't give up Granlund,Dumba,Phillips or Zucker and still have a ton of guys like Bussieres,Lucia and Kuemper in there system?

It is called asset management people. The Wild will be fine in the future

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by radaich View Post
How bout to mention Vanek lives in Stillwater MN during the off season
Well that settles it ! Patrick Kane is coming to Buffalo! Considering he was born here, grew up here and lives here in the off season That means absolutely jack **** about players and where they will go. If Vanek hits the open market he will go where the $$$ and best chance to win is and that surely won't be Minnesota.

Vanek doesn't want to be part of a rebuild. He didn't say he was leaving no matter what. Vanek has been a part of Buffalo far longer then Minnesota now. He played 2 years of college. He's played EIGHT YEARS HERE.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote