HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 11:48 PM
sand1138man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand1138man View Post
Well, I was scrolling through and reading peoples opinions and looking for at least one person in these 11 pages to say they want rolston to get another shot next year, and when i got to page 4 I just assumed that I was not going to see that. Honestly when rolston came in, I would have had so so so much more respect for him if he made some serious changes, but he left EVERYTHING the same, from the lines, to the power play groupings, to to shoot out shooters, to the "bench for one game when you aren't playing well and immendiately put you right back in", keeping the same captain, the same speeches, the same attitude that was not working. We got rid of lindy ruff and hired lindy ruff. If you get hired as the coach of a team that is DEAD last in powerplay in the league, wouldn't you think to yourself "if i make a few changes to my powerplay personell and it improves, then thats a good way to make it look like I know what I am doing", but no...he just kept the same guy (pominville) on the point after he's proven all he does is make bad passes and cause 2 on 1's in the opposite direction. He was handed a situation where there was no where to go but up with the powerplay, and he went down.
I mean what the h*ll do you have to lose at this point by putting in some young fresh blood to try and rack up some points? But nope, he did nothing. If he would have made changes, and they would have not worked, I would at least feel like he he is willing to change it up until he finds a working combination, but he has shown that he is ok with being the worst, and does not even seem to get upset about it. When his players get cheap shotted with no penaltys or fines, he doesn't get angry or peak out about it, he just dodges questions, writes in his note pad during the game and talks about having better angles on passes and better skating technique, better ways to tie you laces, and tape up your stick, and if theres a minutes or 2 left in practice maybe go over some shot bloocking, when Miller has made it OBVIOUS he does not like to be screened.

I dont care who the coach is next year as long as he is the oppositeof ron rolston. characteristics im looking for is....
passion
motivation for himself
motivating to his player
willing to make changes
not putting up cherry pickers and players who take off shifts
forthcoming with fans and media about player injury status
not afraid to use the back up goalie
not afraid to strip a letter
have an offfensive system in place that doesn't depend on your goalie having to stop 48 shots per game to win
let your players use there strenghts and play wing if they are a wing, and center if they are a center
admit when hes wrong and correct it
call players out who aren't working the way they should
defend his players when they are cheap shotted
doesn't carry a pen and pad during the game and say "well gee we will have to discuss this before next game"
not afraid to pull a goalie for letting in a stinking, even if it's just 2 goals, be able to recognize who is struggling and dish out ice time based on that.
be able to make in game changes to adapt to the situation.
have a system that does not automatically fall everyone back into their onwn zone when they have a lead
demands a higher pace to the game
awards good plays and punishes bad
does not fall in love with players who happen to have 1 good week in the nhl
have multiple systems for multiple situations during the game, and even during game planning during different positions in the standings.
DEMANDS intensity,
punishes 6ft8inch weak defenders who never use their body
makes players accountable to eachother
hires smart assistants and delegates tasks
gives GM input on what he thinks we will need in order to help with whatever system we are needing for our situation
doesn't count his chickens

you know just a few qualityies I think a coach should have
and also is not a former sabre, or former sabres/rochester/portland coach, and basically never even finds out about the dark cloud over the sports teams in this ciy, COMPLETE NEW BLOOD, whether its a college/junior/ahl coach from a city that knows hockey, and preferably canadian

Old
03-28-2013, 05:43 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He sounds frustrated to me.
I second this, and I don't blame him.

I think given more time he'll be fine. Most of these players have only played for Ruff, plus his been the Sabres identity for 16 years, how some of you can assume that will disappear before next season is beyond me.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:43 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand1138man View Post
and also is not a former sabre, or former sabres/rochester/portland coach, and basically never even finds out about the dark cloud over the sports teams in this ciy, COMPLETE NEW BLOOD, whether its a college/junior/ahl coach from a city that knows hockey, and preferably canadian
So most of those characteristics Ruff had...

Old
03-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Ace1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
He sounded like a defeated man, he has a team that won't play hard. So he is doing the things that coaches do to try and motivate, those aren't working. So for the first time in his career the coach can't threaten every player's ice time or hold up the golden carrot of playing at the next level. They are stuck in the **** and he doesn't sound too happy to be stuck with them.
He sounded like an interim coach.

Interim, as in "in between coaches".

He's probably sorry he was ordered by Regier to fill in, and I can't blame him.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:47 AM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
#1 Can we sticky this...I'm thinking we probably should...

#2- I hear a lot of posters talking about Roy...are we basing this soley on Regier talking to him about Grigs...have any comments been made about Roy's willingness to jump to the NHL already?

I haven't seen other teams talk about Roy as a possibility...so are we making more out of Roy than we should be?

Old
04-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Jagemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearedButNotOut View Post
I haven't seen other teams talk about Roy as a possibility...so are we making more out of Roy than we should be?
IMO yes, Roy shouldn't be in our radar. I'd like to have that Marlies coah, Eakins?

Old
04-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagemon View Post
IMO yes, Roy shouldn't be in our radar. I'd like to have that Marlies coah, Eakins?

Eakins should be on the radar.....

Patrick Roy was on the short list of coaching candidates out there even before drafting Grigs. Grigs has nothing to do with it.

Other people I would want to consider:

Randy Cunneyworth---he derserves a fair shot as a head coach. He got railroaded in Montreal.

Craig Ramsey

Phil housely

i would also look at a few former NHLers who are assistants now.

They also need to bring in Scott Arneil--the team had great special teams when he was that asistant coach.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Being that I've never gone thru this before... (hiring a new coach)

When do they usually do this? ...

Is this something they will want to take care of before the Draft?

Old
04-05-2013, 01:02 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

I would think so.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:10 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

I'd expect it to be done fairly quickly after the year ends. Just my $0.02.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Old Navy Goat

Depends on who's on their short list as they'd have to wait until their seasons are over before interviewing them.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:56 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

I'm starting to see an ugly side to Rolston's teams - being outshot. Since Rolston took over, we've been outshot 70% of the time.

What I can remember with the Amerks, this is a similar issue with them before Rolston left and it continues today. The lack of game by game stats sorted by team doesn't help my position on this though.

Not pretty.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:56 AM
comeonnow

Send a message via Yahoo to comeonnow
I'd like to see what Arneil could do...

Old
04-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
I'm starting to see an ugly side to Rolston's teams - being outshot. Since Rolston took over, we've been outshot 70% of the time.

What I can remember with the Amerks, this is a similar issue with them before Rolston left and it continues today. The lack of game by game stats sorted by team doesn't help my position on this though.

Not pretty.
When he was promoted to Buffalo, I recall Rochester was second-worst in the league in SOG differential. Only the B-Sens were worse, and who knows if that's actually true with their whacky official scorer in Bingo.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:20 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

I'd like to see what Rolston can do with a full training camp.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:03 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
I'd like to see what Rolston can do with a full training camp.
Huh? So you'd like to see what we'd do with Rolston as a head coach without the interim title?

You keep him for the full training camp and obviously into the season. I don't remember the last coach who was fired after a training camp, if there is even one.

I guess my point is, if we keep Rolston, he better be on board for the long term and not be some tryout and his job relying on 1/2 a season.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:08 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Bumping this thread to talk more about Tom Renney.

An interesting namedrop by Jame. Someone who fits my mold of having prior experience with young rosters. My issue is that he hasn't been unquestionably successful with said type of roster.

What about John Stevens?

Old
04-25-2013, 12:17 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Dave Lewis? Gerard Gallant?

Old
04-25-2013, 12:20 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Gallant worked magic with the SeaDogs as far as I know it. And he has a big hand in the development of what has come to fruition in Montreal.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Wisent42

Just some random thoughts: Most discussion is about the head coach, but how about the assistant coaches? We're not happy with the PP, we've been sick about how the team gets stuck in their own zone (although that has somewhat improved) and how they rarely get any length in the offensive zone. Is this really just a head coach issue, or should we look to change more of the coaching staff?

Since we've got a lot of youngsters on the team, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to get a former player or two into the coaching staff. Someone they respect that knows what it takes to make it in the league. A name that comes to mind is Mike Grier. Always seemed like a class act and was spoken well of by youngsters like Ennis as a veteran who was always there for them with a word of advice. What's he up to these days?

Another name that comes to mind is Mike Peca. Currently involved with the Junior Sabres from what I understand. Time to move up?

Edit: And since this is a head coach thread, you're welcome to think I'm off topic.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:53 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
Just some random thoughts: Most discussion is about the head coach, but how about the assistant coaches? We're not happy with the PP, we've been sick about how the team gets stuck in their own zone (although that has somewhat improved) and how they rarely get any length in the offensive zone. Is this really just a head coach issue, or should we look to change more of the coaching staff?

Since we've got a lot of youngsters on the team, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to get a former player or two into the coaching staff. Someone they respect that knows what it takes to make it in the league. A name that comes to mind is Mike Grier. Always seemed like a class act and was spoken well of by youngsters like Ennis as a veteran who was always there for them with a word of advice. What's he up to these days?

Another name that comes to mind is Mike Peca. Currently involved with the Junior Sabres from what I understand. Time to move up?

Edit: And since this is a head coach thread, you're welcome to think I'm off topic.
Zero chance the assistants are back next year, even if Rolston stays IMO.

Former players are fine. I want fresh faces, though.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:36 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Bumping this thread to talk more about Tom Renney.

An interesting namedrop by Jame. Someone who fits my mold of having prior experience with young rosters. My issue is that he hasn't been unquestionably successful with said type of roster.

What about John Stevens?
As you mentioned, Renney wasn't successful with the young Oilers roster and after looking at some of the Rangers teams he coached, not sure if he could be considered as working with youngsters. He had guys like Jagr, Straka on those teams but never made it past the second round. Rangers are one of the more active free agent / trade deadline teams so their inability to progress can't be blamed on the roster.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Pass on Renney. He's simply a seat-warmer. Would rather have a sharp, fresh coach leading the team.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:17 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Just dropping by to restate my full support of poaching the ever-loving-**** out of Phoenix's entire management team via Pegula Buck$.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post

It seems normal that a new coach would have say over his entire staff. None of them should expect to be back next year.